Near 20m difference in TW matchup

BrtStlnd
1094 posts Member
My guild, 148m: https://swgoh.gg/g/10498/r0gue-n0ne/

BHG AAA, 167m: https://swgoh.gg/g/1580/bhg-aaa-stars/

Either BHG is doing something really shady or we got a glitch in the matching matrix. I’m going with something shady.

I would love someone from BHG to respond and let us know how they nerfed themselves to our level.

Replies

• Honestly 20M difference is not that bad, it looks at a number of different factors. Last TW we were 64M paired up against a 102M guild and still beat them and those wins are that much more satisfying. 15-20M higher then us is average, we never have been paired against a guild lower.
  • Rebel_yell
    928 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    That's only a 12.5% gap. (mental math, may be off)
  • BrtStlnd
    1094 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    Honestly 20M difference is not that bad, it looks at a number of different factors. Last TW we were 64M paired up against a 102M guild and still beat them and those wins are that much more satisfying. 15-20M higher then us is average, we never have been paired against a guild lower.

There’s a canyon-sized difference between the top guilds and the guilds in the next weight class. ALL that GP is G12 and zetas.

The difference in the examples you posted are most likely for other gp upgrades because not everyone involved is fully at end-game yet.
  • Rimzo
    120 posts Member
    One of the AAA guys is in my shard. I sent him a pic telling him he’s shady
  • Rimzo
    120 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    Update. They’re only 163 right now, and they have 2 people missing from TW this time. So prob 158 GP.
    You’re only down 10M which is “normal” for their matchmaking
  • There is a huge different between 10 Mio. gaps at high end or lower tiers. At the highest tier the gap is caused by more skilled zeta abilitys and more G12 gear toons. Normally these players played longer as the lower ones and would have much better mods which affect a much too.
    At lower tiers I won most of the matches against higher placed opponents but at the top tiers, we mostly had not even a chance against such a matchup.
    Make the best of it and enjoy the game free time to go out and drink a beer. All other just would be frustrating.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Anecdotal evidence shows that signing up with less than 50 members leads to more favourable matchups in the "high/-ish" GP region. This is based on the guilds we faced that signed up with less than 50 members and the guilds we faced when we didn't sign up with 50 members due to member transitions and only having less than 50 members during the sign-up period. I'm only mentioning that because i think it's a lame strategy, but also acknowledging that it isn't always intentional at the same time, so i'm willing to give enemy guilds the benefit of the doubt.
    I'm pretty high on the tinfoil hat scale on this one, seeying as it's only anecdotal evidence without any form of proof whatsoever, so i'm just spitballng here.
    I'm guessing there's something in the matchmaking algorithm that (over)compensates for having less members signed up. That would make sense to me since pretty much everyone has the meta teams in the high-ish GP region, so having only 48 players would mean that the enemy guild has 2 JTR teams, 2 empire/sith teams, 2 CLS teams etc etc + the counters teams more. Normally that would put you at a disadvantage, so perhaps the matchmaking algorithm (over)compensates for that.
    Pure speculation, tinfoil hat through the roof, but ea/cg keeps telling us the matchmaking algoritm is complex and won't divulge how it actually works (and rightly so), so it's just a guessing game. I do feel like certain guilds are atleast trying to benefit from it by intentionally signing up with less members to get more favourable matchups eventhough it might not even work like that.
    I do understand that my comment may lead to more guilds trying to influence matchmaking by signing up with less members, i just hope that if it becomes more common and it actually does work in your favour, that the devs will adjust the algorithm. Then again, it might not even work like that.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Since it appears no one outside CG knows the algorithm, I would like to think that the best solution for matchmaking would be to first use the number of people that signed up. Then on to whatever overly complicated equation they use.

The result: No more 35 vs 50. At worst, there should be no more than a 1 player discrepancy on either side.

Your guild only had 36 people sign up? You can only get matched with a guild that had 35, 36, or 37 sign up.

At the very top guilds, it should be exact match in the number of players. Always.

It may still result in mismatches. But at least it would cease the suspected "gaming" aspect of a guild having people sit out to create a mismatch. Or a guild being overpowered because they had 50/50 in the event.

Your guild should Win/Lose on strategy in the content, not a flaw in the matchmaking process.
  • Sweet now try with 40m difference ^^
  • Ryche
    151 posts Member
    We had a 35 million difference this TW. We only lost by about 700. We thought we were going to get clobbered.

They just had far more G12 toons than us.
  • Today just launched...

Us 99 mil.

Them, 134 mil.

Nice one CG. Appreciate it.
  • TVF
    36519 posts Member
    Us 80 m.

Them 100 m.

We are going to slaughter them. That's not enough of an advantage against us. :D
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • mrjazz
    116 posts Member
    98 mil vs 169 mil, 71 million gap.... 20 is nothing
  • Naz83
    30 posts Member
    Todays TW. Our guild power 48 m, opponents GP 80m.. Much more G12 meta squads as us, and got hammered. I guess no one cares at CG to fix this broken matchmaking.. Its just ridicolous.
  • Drazhar
    784 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    It's both things somehow.

The TWs matchmaking is just awful, I don't know whether there is a gp range or not, but since they came out I NEVER got against a guild with less GP than mine. Always at least 8-10M more. When it goes well. Some times we even got guilds with 15-20 GP more than ours (and still I have to understand how is this possible. If we always get against stronger guilds, someone always gets against weaker ones, but the answer cold be worse than expected).

This gets us to the second point: guilds leave some of their members out on purpose to face weaker opponents. It is an exploit based on the fact that devs could not give us a proper matchmaking. "Ooooooh and what if someone is out for some reason? We don't want to upset our beloved whales, let's give them the tool". This will not change, as it gives an advantage to the biggest guilds, which are the ones they want to be advantaged, like we saw with g12+.

They are getting rid of mid range players that will never bring them some cash. A lot of f2p are quitting out of frustration for the fact that big whales get bigger and bigger, f2ps get weaker and weaker.

I understand this and I'm not even so disappointed. These are foreseeable choices by a company well known for being greedy to a point that is dangerously close to scamming and forced gambling.

The thing that disappoints me the most is that they're slowly ruining a lovely game and that they cover this with sad lies and distorted truth.
  • TVF
    36519 posts Member
    You need to read up on how matchmaking works. Leaving your weakest members out doesn't work.
  • Drazhar
    784 posts Member
    TVF wrote: »
    You need to read up on how matchmaking works. Leaving your weakest members out doesn't work.

They said they basically take a snap shot of the participants' rosters when the preliminary phase ends. What does this mean to you?
  • TVF
    36519 posts Member
    They said more than that. I encourage you to go find the TW matchmaking clarification post in the Dev section.