Guild chat, feature or bug?

I reread the update note here: https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/170303/version-update-5-23-2018#latest and couldnt see anything about this, so I thought I'd ask here.
Our guild created a separate tab to feature squads which have proven effective in the HSTR for our guild members who don't browse the forums/YouTube/or use discord. A couple officers and myself wrote "fairly" descriptive comps for each phase(fairly as possible due to charscter limitations and not to clutter it too much) LSS we put some effort into typing out a bunch there. Got on the tab today and the chat room? Was completely blank. My question is why? Was this intended that they empty out?

Replies

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    While it is not described, yes I would think that is WAI.

There is a limitation on how many replies are in the chat and I would imagine there is a timeline on which comments are cleared also.
  • I reread the update note here: https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/170303/version-update-5-23-2018#latest and couldnt see anything about this, so I thought I'd ask here.
    Our guild created a separate tab to feature squads which have proven effective in the HSTR for our guild members who don't browse the forums/YouTube/or use discord. A couple officers and myself wrote "fairly" descriptive comps for each phase(fairly as possible due to charscter limitations and not to clutter it too much) LSS we put some effort into typing out a bunch there. Got on the tab today and the chat room? Was completely blank. My question is why? Was this intended that they empty out?

Chat Upgrade 2.0 was a lot like Communications 2.0 - great for a few days, full of promise, but then kind of sputters out after a couple days - disappearing, never to be seen again. Once players realize information doesn't stay around and is gone, they give up on it, going back to third party options... that goes for the Chat too.
    #AcolyteShootsTwice
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    It's definitely intended that messages expire, but that's weird that they all expired at once. That part might be a bug. From what you said, it sounds like the thread was active, so the newer posts should still be there. Unless, did you guys post a whole bunch, then just leave it inactive?

Messages have always expired, but we never noticed it because usually they just cycled on up to the top and were forgotten because of all the "So and so brought this character to 7*" and "So and so promoted this character to gear 9" messages. If you had an active guild, which it sounds like you did, chat would cycle those out faster as you made new messages. My guild is active, but only a couple of us actually chat much, and I turned off the gear and star notifications in options, so I only see when people post new chat messages. I went on vacation for a few days and didn't chat (still played too much, lol) and when I checked later there were missing messages.

So, yeah, it's always been like that, we just never noticed it because it wasn't relevant. But now, with sub-chats, it's noticeable and should hopefully be improved.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    NicWester wrote: »

So, yeah, it's always been like that, we just never noticed it because it wasn't relevant. But now, with sub-chats, it's noticeable and should hopefully be improved.

Not sure they could improve it to do what he is describing, they would need to keep massive storage on hand to store messages indefinitely
  • Personally I still prefer the 3rd party apps for chat, since one can share pictures or videos and they are not erased. In game chat can be cumbersome and doesn't have notifications when you're messaged.
  • TVF
    36568 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    In game chat can be cumbersome and doesn't have notifications when you're messaged.

We use in game chat for one thing - to message guild members who don't use Discord. Send a message, take care of business, delete the chat. Works great since you get a notification when the chat is started. Discord for everything else.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Zuckuss12
    129 posts Member
    it seems to be about a week and then messages expire.
  • TVF wrote: »
    In game chat can be cumbersome and doesn't have notifications when you're messaged.

We use in game chat for one thing - to message guild members who don't use Discord. Send a message, take care of business, delete the chat. Works great since you get a notification when the chat is started. Discord for everything else.

But the notifications only work when the app is opened.
  • Dralkyr
    457 posts Member
    Just add the ability for Officers to Pin a number of messages (5 sounds reasonable) per channel. If they actually want to make the in-game chat useful enough to negate Discord/Line/etc, something like this will be necessary.
  • TVF
    36568 posts Member
    But the notifications only work when the app is opened.

Granted, but a) it's better than the nothing that existing before and b) if your guildmate isn't logging in daily, well...
  • Klocko
    1017 posts Member
    The new chat is still vastly inferior to discord, or even Line (which is pretty garbage itself). We started off with a few channels, and after about a week or so we deleted all but the main. Nobody was using the others outside the main, not even the officers in the officer chat. Waste of development resources and time if you ask me. But hey, now I can struggle to follow a conversation with all the gear requests interspersed. That's certainly more efficient and an improvement.
  • Tried the same thing a while ago. Created a couple tabs that stated rules and some other things then a week later all blank. Disbanded it and haven’t created another since.
  • The word limits in guild description are too low as well so there’s that. Have to resort to abbreviations and it just looks a mess.
  • I posted something like this and typically over looked and shifted to the guild section in this forum, obviously the devs took note and continue to ignore the fact guilds SUCK in this game and are so dam BASIC its near impossible to do organise anything without the use if a third party app
  • TVF
    36568 posts Member
    Klocko wrote: »
    The new chat is still vastly inferior to discord, or even Line (which is pretty garbage itself). We started off with a few channels, and after about a week or so we deleted all but the main. Nobody was using the others outside the main, not even the officers in the officer chat. Waste of development resources and time if you ask me. But hey, now I can struggle to follow a conversation with all the gear requests interspersed. That's certainly more efficient and an improvement.

How is it a struggle to ignore any line with a picture?