Price on energy

evg_official
0 posts Member
edited December 2015
Previously I was buying energy (120 energy points + 20 tickets) for 50 diamonds. After some time price for the same pack was 100 diamonds. Now it went back to 50 diamonds again.
Could anyone please explain me what it depends on? Time? Number of purchased energy per day (witch is ridiculous by the way, because usually price become lower)? Or maybe something else?

Replies

• JoJoMo_007
    114 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    It resets back to 50 crystals at midnight. Cost goes up each time you buy a refill. I believe it's something like 50/50/100/100/200/etc
  • A major matter of contention as far as I'm concerned. I keep saying this is too costly. To which I do not get a response. The only thing to be done is continue to complain about energy escalation.
  • And Cantina prices are 100/200/400 because you get shards, matts, training droids, crystals, and Cantina Currency. This marginal pricing means ultimately that the rate of leveling goes up the faster you want to advance. Are you a 0 Crystal spender? A 100+50+50? Or a 100+200+50+50+100+100+200+200? Some people also use the 400 stages in Cantina and Normal battles.

In one day, you may refresh Cantina one and a half times (180 energy) or Normal twice (about 200-240)

Option one: 0 Crystals. No extra
    Option two: 200 Crystals, 360 energy.
    Option three: 1000. 1000 energy.

For 200 you double energy. For 1000 you triple. For 2000 you do 4 times regular. All this assuming you use energy within day to allow more to build up.

The design of the game is to bring you to it for shipments, arena, using capped energy, to then you are there won't allow anything else to be done. It's designed to temp you
  • I'm almost a non player and one star reviewer because of this. Data compiled from 2-3 years ago puts f2p paying players at around 2-7% total with 5% being the average. I'm not privy to accounting information for this game. I would estimate that to be higher with this game for no other reason than all the people who have purchased Count Dooku.

There are many books and articles discussing freemium markets. I understand the psychology used. I've done a little bit of research into microtransactions. I also do not agree with it. Unfortunately, unless laws are passed against it, microtransactions are here to stay along with the free to play business model.

A better way would be to charge an upfront fee for the game. The same way traditional pricing has always been for gaming. I'll continue to spend and support CG for quality content. What I disagree with is anything that starts to fleece anyone. Whether they willingly make the purchases or not.

• I was annoyed about the energy at first too. But here, less than a month after playing, and having spent only $10 on crystal subscriptions, I am 4 levels from cap.
    Now if they raise the level cap to 80 and it's exponentially more XP per level, then they need to do something about the energy costs. But it's not *really* that big a deal right now.
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • A major matter of contention as far as I'm concerned. I keep saying this is too costly. To which I do not get a response. The only thing to be done is continue to complain about energy escalation.

Jesse made note of it in another thread about this topic. He said he would bring it up to his colleagues, or something similar. Which doesn't really mean a lot, as that is a touchy area for both the players and the developers (I'd imagine), let alone their EA overlords. It's a major staple in their income, and that money is going a lot of places than just to the developers, obviously. That being said, we never had to put up with scaling premium currency costs in other CG titles that I've played (as far as I know). It's a ridiculous concept, and even more so that the cost can extend into the thousands. I'm not even sure what the cap is, as I wasn't crazy enough to purchase a refill for 1600. I doubt we'll see anything substantial on this soon, but as you said, the best we can do is to make sure it is kept a hot topic. I do appreciate Jesse at least communicating with us, though. If you want to see the exact post, it's probably fairly recent in his profile's post history, in a thread about energy costs.

"Mockery: Oh, Master, I love you, but I hate all you stand for! But I think we should go press our slimy, mucus-covered lips together in the cargo hold!"
  • @Pure_Pazaak , thank you for the support. We need to stay vocal and not purchase those excessively expensive refills. Maybe we can finally get an official response from @CG_AaronNemoyten ?

It's been a while since I was this perturbed about anything game related. This has been my favorite game on mobile since it came out in September
  • I'm almost a non player and one star reviewer because of this. Data compiled from 2-3 years ago puts f2p paying players at around 2-7% total with 5% being the average. I'm not privy to accounting information for this game. I would estimate that to be higher with this game for no other reason than all the people who have purchased Count Dooku.

There are many books and articles discussing freemium markets. I understand the psychology used. I've done a little bit of research into microtransactions. I also do not agree with it. Unfortunately, unless laws are passed against it, microtransactions are here to stay along with the free to play business model.

A better way would be to charge an upfront fee for the game. The same way traditional pricing has always been for gaming. I'll continue to spend and support CG for quality content. What I disagree with is anything that starts to fleece anyone. Whether they willingly make the purchases or not.

Getting reasonably ranked in the arena nets you over 100 crystals per day. Think that can help with recharge expenses.
  • When the game launched cantina had the same energy costs as the light/dark side battles - 50/50/100/etc but they did a stealth nerf one day and jacked it up to what it is now - 100/200/etc. I personally think cantina energy costs are too expensive atm.
  • As with any feature in a free to play game, players are free to vote with their wallets (or their allocation of free crystals) as a response to a feature. The game is still so new that we may yet re-evaluate any aspect of the economy and make some changes. Energy costs and their scaling aren't something we're considering changing in any of our next few updates, but that doesn't mean we think they're perfect.

-Aaron
  • Can my "yes" vote be counted as an "indignant yes"?
    "Mockery: Oh, Master, I love you, but I hate all you stand for! But I think we should go press our slimy, mucus-covered lips together in the cargo hold!"
  • Pokebreaker
    734 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    I'm almost a non player and one star reviewer because of this. Data compiled from 2-3 years ago puts f2p paying players at around 2-7% total with 5% being the average. I'm not privy to accounting information for this game. I would estimate that to be higher with this game for no other reason than all the people who have purchased Count Dooku.

The cost doesn't bother me. I have a bad tendency to hoard game currency, for that just-in-case moment that may or may not come in the future. Once I am out of energy, I just switch to the next mobile game that has been recharging over the past few hours, and use up my energy their. Then rinse and repeat.

I agree that voting with wallets is a great method to get their attention. The problem is, while there are few that argue the point on principle, many others just pay the asking price, albeit reluctantly, thus justifying the price remaining suitable from the Devs perspective.

At the same time, I rarely ever request more stuff be made easily available to Free players. I recognize that EVERYTHING I am doing in the game is at absolutely no cost to me, and that I am entitled to nothing. I also recognize that businesses have to make money, of which F2P games do it best by first making a good game, then by making free-play progress EXTREMELY slow, then through creating a subtle or blatant pay-to-win/progress system. At the end of the day though, each consumer has a choice, although the psychological aspect of the design could be argued.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't make requests. Just that as free players, we sometimes need to step back and see that if the game were a quick and easy thing to get through, most would have absolutely no reason to spend money, which directly contradicts the point of the game being designed and released.

While some paying players feel they deserve some sort of kudos for falling into the F2P money trap; I applaud the Dev Teams instead, for not only giving me yet another free game to play, but for managing to convince other people to fund a game for the masses, when the same people wouldn't give a dime to actual people in need.
  • Just so you guys know, after 400 crystals, it jumps to 900 and 800 in for energy and cantina. I think it's meant as a failsafe to prevent whalers from burning through the game and leaving in droves, resulting in lean accounting months.
  • The cost doesn't bother me. I have a bad tendency to hoard game currency, for that just-in-case moment that may or may not come in the future. Once I am out of energy, I just switch to the next mobile game that has been recharging over the past few hours, and use up my energy their. Then rinse and repeat.

I agree that voting with wallets is a great method to get their attention. The problem is, while there are few that argue the point on principle, many others just pay the asking price, albeit reluctantly, thus justifying the price remaining suitable from the Devs perspective.

At the same time, I rarely ever request more stuff be made easily available to Free players. I recognize that EVERYTHING I am doing in the game is at absolutely no cost to me, and that I am entitled to nothing. I also recognize that businesses have to make money, of which F2P games do it best by first making a good game, then by making free-play progress EXTREMELY slow, then through creating a subtle or blatant pay-to-win/progress system. At the end of the day though, each consumer has a choice, although the psychological aspect of the design could be argued.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't make requests. Just that as free players, we sometimes need to step back and see that if the game were a quick and easy thing to get through, most would have absolutely no reason to spend money, which directly contradicts the point of the game being designed and released.

While some paying players feel they deserve some sort of kudos for falling into the F2P money trap; I applaud the Dev Teams instead, for not only giving me yet another free game to play, but for managing to convince other people to fund a game for the masses, when the same people wouldn't give a dime to actual people in need.
    I applaud you for making the post I am too lazy to, and also fail to see the point in, but it is ultimately futile. People will spend what they want to, or even feel they "need" to, no matter the impact on their financial stability. I am one of those players, but I still see the traps as easily as any other sane and reasonable person. The main point is that even if Aaron says we can "vote with our wallets", common sense dictates that no matter how we "vote" and direct our actions in-game, the developer will go for the cheapest and easiest way of coming out in the black or green at the end of the day. This is the nature of the free-to-play game, as you noted multiple times. I can make as many snarky comments as I want directed at the staff of Capital Games, but it doesn't really affect their conscience, such as it is. This is America, and they are a business. Needing an explanation beyond that is pointless, as they have a living to make and a user base to exploit. This isn't about morals and personal motivations so much as balancing their practices with how much they feel they can get away with. It's a mean market, and most developers are arguably a lot worse. Such as the creators of Summoners War, the game this one is almost a direct clone of. The fact that I still support Capital Games in spite of all of this says how bad their competitors are in their business practices. We can just be glad that this game is justifiably enjoyable enough to invest our money in, instead of feeling spiteful of the developers on all fronts due to their blatant disregard of their playerbase's feelings on all levels of spending, or lack of.
  • Two things, firstly I'd never, ever buy a mobile game upfront.* I'd also never buy it after a free first month or whatever.

*unless it was like a dollar or something.

Secondly, the energy refill for Cantina is way too high. I do two 50 crystal refreshes for LS/DS and then that's it. It is disappointing really because I need to farm shards and cantina rewards to star two of my top 5 heroes.
    My name is cosmicturtle333, aka CT-333, aka Threes.