The Road Ahead: July 5, 2018 [MEGA]

Replies

• CG_SBCrumb wrote: »
    Jacen_Raye wrote: »
    I AM SO EXCITED ABOUT THE KOTOR TOONS! (Take my money!!)

However - it’s bugging me that that’s a photo of T7 not T3 ... #KOTORObsessed
    I can't believe we missed that! Doh! The REAL T3-M4 is there now
    Sith Raid rewards: 500 posts without answer. And the community manager answer this? The devs team its a bad joke.
  • Rebmes
    376 posts Member
    OMG KOTOR YESSSSS
  • Natos
    138 posts Member
    Translation:

We're adding yet another way to suck resources through the mod "slicing" system that players will need to farm for, like this is a GD MMORPG and not a mobile game.

We're adding more Marquee characters and/or placing the path to a heavily suggested legendary toon behind yet another pay wall.

We're completely ignoring the dumpster fire that is STR because the KOTOR toons will totally fix how unplayable it is, and how bad the rewards stink. You know, just like more JTRs "fixed" it this time around.

Ships 2.0 is exactly how we want it.

How'd I do @CG_Carrie?

TLDR: color me skeptical that any if this will turn out well according to anyone but devs.
  • Lrrr
    172 posts Member
    Do we really need more $300 marquee characters? Sigh, over six months since CG introduced a new legendary character. I guess we’ll probably never see another one because people keep buying the OP marquee ones.
  • Lrrr
    172 posts Member
    Also with how garbage ships 2.0 was handled, I fully expect none of my mods to remain with the stats they originally had. Might have been a point where I would have screen shotted the good ones, but if they screw this up, I’ll be yet another nail in the coffin.
  • The Kotor characters are some of my favorites in the entire SW universe, thanks for bringing them to this game!
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    TVF wrote: »
    I feel like I understood mods just fine before today.

Now I have no clue.

It's the new MO for CG for the past 6 months or so...take a simple fix, make it ultra-complex, that way it can be buggy AND confusing - and no one will be able to tell the difference
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • TVF
    36524 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    Nikoms565 wrote: »

Now I have no clue.

It's the new MO for CG for the past 6 months or so...take a simple fix, make it ultra-complex, that way it can be buggy AND confusing - and no one will be able to tell the difference

Well, to be fair, I assume the problem right now is just (IMO) a poor explanation. I suspect it will make sense once I get my hands on it.

So I'm not complaining about the change. In fact that would be silly, I can't complain about something I don't understand...not that it stops people here lol. I'm complaining about the explanation.

Maybe I'm just tired at the end of a long day though.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • IronCross
    934 posts Member
    I have to agree with several other posters recently. We are at a real low point in the game’s history.

They really messed up on the STR. It may have ruined the game. Hope they can fix this mess they have made before driving the base away.
  • osver
    5 posts Member
    First of all, I am so excited for the new mod updates (and KoToR)!

That being said, while you are redoing mods, would you please reconsider the color scheme of mods? As a color blind person, it's brutal, but it has been not too big of an issue, because you can currently check the numbers (3, 6, 9, 12). However, the way the new system is set up will make that impossible to differentiate if you can't tell the difference between the colors as they are now (I currently see grey, two greens and two blues, despite knowing one should be yellow, and one should be purple).

I know this is not a tremendously impactful disability (I wouldn't even consider it a real disability), but it would put me at a pretty fair disadvantage under the new system.

It would also be awesome if the same could be done for the gear tiers (although that is significantly less impactful).

I brought this up once before and it got pretty good traction, but that was back when EA Jesse was still in charge, and I am afraid it may have since been forgotten about.

Either way, thank you for your time, and I hope you at least consider it.
    Cheers

I can't second this enough. As another user who's partially colorblind the blue/purple and green/yellow are impossible to visually tell apart for me. Like DarthJoeous I have to look at the number to tell which is which.

-osver
  • Ikky2win
    870 posts Member
    I think most people are overlooking how big a change this is to mods. Consider a blue mod right now. If it starts with a speed secondary you can level it to 3 and have a 50% chance it will upgrade speed. You can level it to 6 and then you’ll have another 50% chance to upgrade speed.

In the new system when you level it to 3, it will unlock the third stat. When you level it to 6 it will unlock the fourth stat. When you level it to 9, you now have a 25% chance to upgrade speed, and when you level it to 12 you have another 25% chance to upgrade speed. Thus, it now costs MORE to see if it’s going to upgrade speed and you have LESS of a chance of upgrading speed.

Green mods are even worse. A green mod with a speed secondary is guaranteed to upgrade speed at level 3. In this new system you have to level it all the way to 12 just to get a 25% shot to upgrade it.

Am I missing something here or did they just make mods worse and make it darn near impossible for people with subpar mods to ever catch up to people with good mods? Currently if you farm mods a ton you have a shot at catching up but under this new system if you’re behind it will be even harder to catch up because you will have a far worse chance of upgrading speed.
  • Rebmes
    376 posts Member
    Personally, I feel like organizing my mods is the hardest part. When I decide to seriously use a character I wasn't using before, it can be very difficult to sift through my hundreds of mods to find the right ones. Scrolling through, highlighting them all in turn, and occasionally tapping the one I had already highlighted by accident and equipping it, is the process I have to go through each time.

It's be nice for that to be a little easier, let alone what I have to go through when I'm moving mods around between characters.

I don't think I'd ever use loadouts; that's way too much micromanagement for me.
  • YaeVizsla
    3448 posts Member
    Leafty91 wrote: »
    I hate these additions to the game, these characters are unknowns and they don't need to be in this game. Yes the old republic content is very popular within the SW community but I don't think mixing eras like that is good for the game. It creates a strange situation where all these unfamiliar characters are invading our space and being mixed with our familiar characters. Even if you created them in such fashion that their synergy would not allow them to be viable without one another, I still think people will still find uses for them in various squads.
    "Familiar" and "unfamiliar" are relative.

Not everyone who likes Star Wars and plays this game chose to watch The Clone Wars or Rebels. To them, all those characters are unfamiliar. Ahsoka included, and to a lot of people, she's an extremely important character, perhaps the most important prequel era character.

Some people chose not to go see Rogue One or Solo. To them, those toons are unfamiliar.

Star Wars is big. Bigger than you can reasonably expect anyone to take in completely. And people latch onto different parts of it. This is not a problem.

But it does mean that characters important and familiar to one person will not be that way to others. And that's okay.
    Ferdolima wrote: »
    Sith Raid rewards: 500 posts without answer. And the community manager answer this? The devs team its a bad joke.
    "I'm angry," is not a question in need of a response. There's not a whole lot that can be said in that thread other than pointing back to the patch notes on what the changes are and why they were changed. You can dislike them. You can disagree with the reasons. But the information is already out there. You can't say there hasn't been an answer when the thread is in response to the answer you've been given.
    Lrrr wrote: »
    Do we really need more $300 marquee characters? Sigh, over six months since CG introduced a new legendary character. I guess we’ll probably never see another one because people keep buying the OP marquee ones.
    Or you can be patient and wait for those characters to become free to play and get the character for zero dollars instead.

And honestly, who was the last "OP" marquee character? Sion? 'Cuz it wasn't Nest. She's useful and usable in titans format, but also thoroughly manageable, at least on offense, 'cuz she's pretty squishy once that stacking protection wears off.
    Still not a he.
  • Eddiemundie
    1070 posts Member
    This actually sounds much better than ships 2.0. When will this be out and can our mod inventory size increase to accommodate this? “Avoid selling 5-dot mods” is pretty much impossible for me since my mod inventory is always full LOL.
  • Bulldog1205
    3573 posts Member
    This might be the best post I’ve read on here.

Now let’s see if it can be properly executed. I’m cautiously excited
  • Eddiemundie
    1070 posts Member
    BrtStlnd wrote: »
    I like what I’m reading with mod load outs and named sets, thank you for listening to the community. That said, the development team REALLY needs to get “slicing” right.

It’s intriguing but also opens the ability to turn a god mod into a Zeus mod, ands since I’m fairly certain speed will still be the character-defining bonus, that has the potential to make a character almost invincibly fast.

Im thinking they will tune up other stats like offense defense protection etc such that they will be much more effective. For example, 10k more prot on thrawn or gk can be pretty useful in place of speed as well. That will also allow u to use lower gear toons supplemented by these mods as lower gear toons dont benefit as much from speed.
  • Eddiemundie
    1070 posts Member
    First of all, I am so excited for the new mod updates (and KoToR)!

That being said, while you are redoing mods, would you please reconsider the color scheme of mods? As a color blind person, it's brutal, but it has been not too big of an issue, because you can currently check the numbers (3, 6, 9, 12). However, the way the new system is set up will make that impossible to differentiate if you can't tell the difference between the colors as they are now (I currently see grey, two greens and two blues, despite knowing one should be yellow, and one should be purple).

I know this is not a tremendously impactful disability (I wouldn't even consider it a real disability), but it would put me at a pretty fair disadvantage under the new system.

It would also be awesome if the same could be done for the gear tiers (although that is significantly less impactful).

I brought this up once before and it got pretty good traction, but that was back when EA Jesse was still in charge, and I am afraid it may have since been forgotten about.

Either way, thank you for your time, and I hope you at least consider it.
    Cheers

I think they will have some naming conventions set to the mods to differentiate them. Imo it is currently worse since all your lvl 15 mods are yellow and u have to manually check all their secondary stats to guess what the starting rarity is.

Anyway, the only difference it makes is to lvl 15 mods. It will at least be clear from mod level that u shouldnt be selling those i guess.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Rebmes wrote: »
    Personally, I feel like organizing my mods is the hardest part. When I decide to seriously use a character I wasn't using before, it can be very difficult to sift through my hundreds of mods to find the right ones. Scrolling through, highlighting them all in turn, and occasionally tapping the one I had already highlighted by accident and equipping it, is the process I have to go through each time.

It's be nice for that to be a little easier, let alone what I have to go through when I'm moving mods around between characters.

I don't think I'd ever use loadouts; that's way too much micromanagement for me.

Use the "My mods" functionality on swgoh.gg - it's awesome.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Ultra
    11449 posts Moderator

Now I have no clue.

They literally have this itch to touch anything and make it worse.

All we needed was a mod management QOL but they ended up adding a mod grind??

Galaxy of Heroes is a game of Corrupt a Wish in disguise
  • Iy4oy4s
    2923 posts Member
    If you are not going to answer our questions about things we ask about, then get rid of these forums and just make it a bulletin board you can post what you like and be done with it. Soooo annoying that we get ignored constantly!
  • YaeVizsla
    3448 posts Member
    Iy4oy4s wrote: »
    If you are not going to answer our questions about things we ask about, then get rid of these forums and just make it a bulletin board you can post what you like and be done with it. Soooo annoying that we get ignored constantly!
    Or we could, y'know, talk amongst ourselves. That's a thing. It's often even a useful thing.
    Still not a he.
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Natos wrote: »
    Translation:

We're adding yet another way to suck resources through the mod "slicing" system that players will need to farm for, like this is a GD MMORPG and not a mobile game.
    It sounded to me like mods are basically remaining unchanged, what's changing is the visual representation and the ability to, if you really want to, take a mod from white to gold through slicing.

I feel like most folks are going to use it to take mods that they got as purple and promote to gold in hopes of getting one more bump of speed.

The net result of this, and as I said we don't know anything because they've literally made just one post saying "Here's what's coming in a couple months," seems to be that you can just keep working with mods the way you always have been. This new stuff won't make it more complicated, just give you more options.
    Lrrr wrote: »
    $300 marquee character? Weird, I haven't spent anything on them other than time.

Now I have no clue.

It really doesn't seem that complicated. They're changing the color of mods so that your current golds' stats remain unchanged, but they'll visually revert to whatever color they were when you first equipped them, and then on top of that a method will be added to bump them up from whatever their current color is to the next color. If you're happy with your mods as they are now, then you don't need to change anything--it just gives you the chance to improve them further.
    Ultra wrote: »

Now I have no clue.

They literally have this itch to touch anything and make it worse.

All we needed was a mod management QOL but they ended up adding a mod grind??

Galaxy of Heroes is a game of Corrupt a Wish in disguise
    The grind looks exactly the same as it was before, but now you get a heads up before investing credits.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • TVF
    36524 posts Member
    To better represent the value of the mod, we are separating improving the level of the mod from improving the Tier of the mod. In the future, as you level a mod up to level 15, you will reveal all four secondary stats. You will not see the color change any longer as you level the mod. By revealing the secondary stats prior to leveling up the secondary stats, we’re trying to give players the choice whether they want to invest in a mod before spending anything on it.

This needs a lot more explanation.
  • YaeVizsla
    3448 posts Member
    This needs a lot more explanation.
    Existing mods don't just have pips. They have a letter code, with E being the worst, and A being the best. They all start at different colors, but turn yellow by level 15, making it hard to tell them apart.

They're going to stop changing the color. So an E-rank mod will always be greyish blue, and an A-rank mod will always be yellow.
    Still not a he.
  • TVF
    36524 posts Member
    edited July 2018
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    CG_SBCrumb wrote: »
    By revealing the secondary stats prior to leveling up the secondary stats, we’re trying to give players the choice whether they want to invest in a mod before spending anything on it.

@CG_SBCrumb -- can you clarify what this means? So for a gray mod, I'll see all the secondaries before leveling it?
    No, this is in regards to improving the secondaries with slicing.

Right now in the game, there is a chance when you level up a mod that it increases the stats of secondary you already have revealed or it will reveal another secondary stat (given that it hasn't reached the maximum number of secondaries).

With the new system, you will first unlock each secondary stat on a mod before having a chance to increase an existing secondary stat.

Why is this important for determining which mods you want to slice and completely max out? You might not know all the secondaries even if you level the mod to 15 with the current system.

Are you essentially just saying that instead of leveling up mods to increase/reveal new secondaries, now you have to use more gear/loot/salvage pieces in order to unlock them?

In other words, mod secondaries are locked behind the slicing system and can only be activated through use of these new salvage pieces?

no that is not correct, slicing and upgrading are 2 separate things.

what he is describing is a blue mod has secondary 1 and 2

at 3 and 6 you will unlock secondary 3 and 4, then at 9 and 12 you will hit the upgrade of 2 of the 4 stats. (i'm not 100 % sure on if you hit on 4 stats or just the 2 original)

current system you upgrade stat 1 and 2 at 3 and 6, then unlock the other stats at 9 and 12.
  • TVF
    36524 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    @YaeVizsla

That's not the part that needs explaining.

"By revealing the secondary stats prior to leveling up the secondary stats, we’re trying to give players the choice whether they want to invest in a mod before spending anything on it."
  • YaeVizsla
    3448 posts Member
    Sounds like slicing will be an alternative to leveling for revealing new secondaries. I don't think it will be a replacement, but we'll see.
    Still not a he.
  • Ultra
    11449 posts Moderator
    NicWester wrote: »
    Natos wrote: »
    Translation:

It sounded to me like mods are basically remaining unchanged, what's changing is the visual representation and the ability to, if you really want to, take a mod from white to gold through slicing.

I feel like most folks are going to use it to take mods that they got as purple and promote to gold in hopes of getting one more bump of speed.

The net result of this, and as I said we don't know anything because they've literally made just one post saying "Here's what's coming in a couple months," seems to be that you can just keep working with mods the way you always have been. This new stuff won't make it more complicated, just give you more options.

The grind looks exactly the same as it was before, but now you get a heads up before investing credits.
    The problem here is that you need more procs of speed than before (first taking the mod to level 12 and then for slicing it multiple times) which requires more resources than before (We already have a credit crunch and now we will have more credits(?) and mod gear to watch out for).

Looking at slicing I understand what slicing is and how it works

Instead of praying for a Mk.A gold mod drop when mod farming, all your mods can essentially be a gold Mk.A mod

White mod has 0 secondaries, blue has 1, green has 2, purple has 3 and gold has 4

This is what makes gold mods the best and preferable when buying from mod store or mod farming because they have +5 speed from the get go and you can level them up and get really high speed secondaries

with slicing your white mods with 0 secondaries from starting can become a Mk. A mod with a chance of having +5 speed at level 1.

Making your Mk. E mods as good as Mk.A mods

For example the max speed at green mods is +10 speed and they show this here:

8fru8if4urfz.png

+2 when going to blue. Which is pretty much a blue mod with two procs on speed.

There is A LOT of implications here that has to be considered when it goes live and you actually farm and slice these mods. The credits required, the time and investment needed. The massive amount of new RNG. Its just like leveling up your mods again but this time you can't use your credits. The good thing is that you can immediately get resolution that you had a lousy mod drop and you can sell or stick to a lesser toon. But with the mod gear grind you might need to wait two days or an entire day just to see if one of the mods in your inventory is worth it or just a junk mod (!!!!)

They are trying to make mods simple but I feel like there will be in-depth videos on best slicing practices that'll be 20 minutes long given how powerful these can be. It might be starting with a Mk. E mod and slicing it to Mk. A will result in better speed secondary RNG than getting a gold mod outright.

We'll see how it goes but it seems like an unnecessary headache to deal with
  • Arcaver
    317 posts Member
    Is the clarity going to include what exactly the mod does? Like what all does the Offense Mod increase and is it better to have an Offense Mod or critical damage mods? I'm still confused on which one is better, and I've been playing for a couple of years now.
    #ReworkCaptialGamesPeopleSkills #StopIgnoringUsCG #CGCustomerSkillsWeakerThanAnakinsPowerAgainstTheHighGround