The Road Ahead: July 5, 2018 [MEGA]

Replies

• Mod management should be a welcome addition, although slicing just looks like more prolonged and expensive RNG pain when it comes to trying to get good mods. I guess its a clever way to get more crystals burnt in trying to chase down speed secondaries.

I'm concerned about what this road ahead is missing. Not even a vague acknowledgement of the various significant (used in the right context here) criticisms around sith raid, raid rewards, ships 2.0 or "makegoods".

Not arguing the right or wrong of any of these here, but when large enough numbers of the community aren't happy with repeated issues you need to actually address them.

The road ahead may get quite lonely otherwise...
  • XKurareX
    478 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    Satele Chan - legendary character? (i pray for slaughtering p3 in hsr, no fan of chexmix playstyle praying for rng, i know the whole raid is just rng outside of p2...)

I just think now OMG my Visas finally will get a real use :smiley:

Sion, Nihilus, Visas come to my mind for unlocking her. Maybe two or three additional new characters like her droid to finish her.
  • Drazhar
    784 posts Member
    I just hope this is not going to bash f2p people which worked on mods for YEARS to favor whales with some crazy mods pack. As usual with any recent update.
  • XKurareX
    478 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    NoomiZ wrote: »
    XKurareX wrote: »
    Setele Chan - legendary character? (i pray for slaughtering p3 in hsr, no fan of chexmix playstyle praying for rng, i know the whole raid is just rng outside of p2...)

I just think now OMG my Visas finally will get a real use :smiley:

Sion, Nihilus, Visas come to my mind for unlocking her. Maybe two or three additional new characters like her droid to finish her.

Satele Shan is like 300 years after KOTOR, I assume you mean Bastila?

Yes you are right I meant Bastila Chan :blush:

But I would be happy for Satele as well...mainly some good and strong characters and no unneeded security service staff :p
  • Xhedao
    209 posts Member
    Yeaaah! Mod Loadouts! The slicing will be great. Of course many will be flaming, cause they have specific expectations. But now it is possible to get even more speed secondaries on not original type A mods.

There will be more coming next time, so be patient. Of course they do not give any informations about STR, cause they will just will dump fuel into a burning fire doing this.

To better represent the value of the mod, we are separating improving the level of the mod from improving the Tier of the mod. In the future, as you level a mod up to level 15, you will reveal all four secondary stats. You will not see the color change any longer as you level the mod. By revealing the secondary stats prior to leveling up the secondary stats, we’re trying to give players the choice whether they want to invest in a mod before spending anything on it.

unquote

How do you "level a mod up to level 15" "before spending anything on it"?
  • You confused me halfway through the explanation about Mods, much less trying to use them. How about making it as easy to get the ship building materials "cash" to upgrade the ships as easily as you do to upgrade the characters. That would help. Making it less expensive to upgrade the ships wouldn't hurt either. I have like 3000 enhanchment droids, but no "money" to upgrade anything. Then you try to pair me with ships in the fleet arena with fleet powers in the 68,000 to 87,000 when I only rank 59,000. And how is it that a ship that is only a level 45 can take out a ship level 70. That makes no sense to me either. So yeah, I would say the game is confusing. In a LOT of ways. But I still play it, I still like it, and even though I know diddly-squat of what I am doing, it's kind of fun.
  • Jacen_Raye wrote: »
    Alaoh wrote: »
    Who are they? I searched for jedis on old republic and those aren’t even on page 2 of google search

Play the games. They’re SERIOUSLY good!

This. @Jacen_Raye best SW games ever IMO, KOTOR and KOTOR2. Played through a million times and keep coming back for more.

• Maagge
    52 posts Member
    Right, I'm just gonna throw you a freebie here, CG. It'll be good for both the players and you guys, promise.

Everyone knows you're working towards having us all panic farm these new characters to unlock someone like Revan. So to save you from some of that backlash I propose that you simply replace the jedi consular and the jedi guardian with Jolee Bindo and Bastila Shan respectively (of course we get to keep star and gear levels on those, the kit will be changed obviously). That means we "only" have to panic farm a few characters and not the whole lot (as a lot of players will have the consular and guardian leveled already). The bonus for you guys is of course you get a headstart on the jedi rework everyone knows is badly needed. Oh and you won't get as many complaints about panic farms and reworks this way.

You're welcome.
  • Maagge wrote: »
    Right, I'm just gonna throw you a freebie here, CG. It'll be good for both the players and you guys, promise.

Everyone knows you're working towards having us all panic farm these new characters to unlock someone like Revan. So to save you from some of that backlash I propose that you simply replace the jedi consular and the jedi guardian with Jolee Bindo and Bastila Shan respectively (of course we get to keep star and gear levels on those, the kit will be changed obviously). That means we "only" have to panic farm a few characters and not the whole lot (as a lot of players will have the consular and guardian leveled already). The bonus for you guys is of course you get a headstart on the jedi rework everyone knows is badly needed. Oh and you won't get as many complaints about panic farms and reworks this way.

You're welcome.

Nice try. Not happening.
    Each of those new toons is at very least 300$ + gear.
    Need more ?

• Vinniarth
    1859 posts Member
    Another excellent update. Mod help.... so badly needed!

The toons? Bastilla?!?! battle meditation and she has the double bladed yellow light saber, a first double bladed light sider in the game?.... cannot wait. I am gonna whale out on both toons as for once I will be ready for them!

Bastilla has gotta be a legendary toon as she has her battle meditation and she helps in the fight against revan to turn him to the light and she is considered one of the best.

Ehhhrrrr? Savage? Maul? Jedi guardian?
  • ReyCharles
    279 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    Read through most of this, love mods but have very bad luck with speed rolling multiple times.

My interpretation of this poorly explained slicing feature, which was made even more unclear by crumb basically saying something different than Carrie's OP, is this:

Slicing will give your purple mod that rolled 10 speed one more chance to upgrade speed. Blue mod two more chances, green three more. Essentially more opportunities for the stat you want to upgrade (speed) to upgrade. Also when tryping this out, making it seem that green +10 mods that you currently own are more valuable than the blue purple or gold mods that only rolled speed once? So your decent green and blue speed secondaries are the most valuable mods in game right now because we can roll the dice on them and make them better? Seems ok.

Regarding mods that have not been leveled... I'm super confused, it sounds like the secondary stats will be revealed by slicing but it says "upgraded" in the OP. So to me, there is a contradiction. I feel like they meant to say the secondaries will be revealed already. You will be able to see all secondaries on a grey mod, has 5 speed level it up only primary is changed. Splice it and get 4 chances that speed rolls up. Green mods, with speed secondary as the first secondary will roll speed once via leveling, splice to gamble on improving that.

Ugh I thought I understood but typing it out not sure anymore. Anyways can someone clarify please?

I don't mean this as an insult but I get the strong impression that the people making these posts don't play the game and in turn don't know how to articulate what they are trying to get across. They need to run this stuff by the gamechangers or someone like that to edit these posts for clarity.
  • Ikky2win
    870 posts Member
    Ikky2win wrote: »
    I think most people are overlooking how big a change this is to mods. Consider a blue mod right now. If it starts with a speed secondary you can level it to 3 and have a 50% chance it will upgrade speed. You can level it to 6 and then you’ll have another 50% chance to upgrade speed.

In the new system when you level it to 3, it will unlock the third stat. When you level it to 6 it will unlock the fourth stat. When you level it to 9, you now have a 25% chance to upgrade speed, and when you level it to 12 you have another 25% chance to upgrade speed. Thus, it now costs MORE to see if it’s going to upgrade speed and you have LESS of a chance of upgrading speed.

Green mods are even worse. A green mod with a speed secondary is guaranteed to upgrade speed at level 3. In this new system you have to level it all the way to 12 just to get a 25% shot to upgrade it.

Am I missing something here or did they just make mods worse and make it darn near impossible for people with subpar mods to ever catch up to people with good mods? Currently if you farm mods a ton you have a shot at catching up but under this new system if you’re behind it will be even harder to catch up because you will have a far worse chance of upgrading speed.

Just to be clear this is before slicing. So before slicing it’s going to cost exponentially more credits to see if a mod that starts with a speed secondary will upgrade or not and you’ll have a far less chance of actually upgrading the speed secondary. This applies to all mods except gold mods with a speed secondary. With slicing, you can throw even MORE money at that mod and have an additional 25% chance to upgrade speed. The net result is those who are willing to spend more and/or those with a lot of good mods already, have a shot of making “super mods” through slicing. Those that have not sufficiently farmed mods and do not already have a good stockpile get hosed and will never be able to catch up to those that do. Let me give an example.

Player 1 has two green mods today with speed secondaries. He upgrades them to level 3, guaranteeing a 100% chance to upgrade the speed secondary. Now the mods are level 3 with +10 speed. He can level those mods to 15 and then slice them for an additional chance to upgrade speed.

Player 2 has no green mods with speed secondaries. The mod changes are now live and he farms two green mods with speed secondaries. He now has to level the mod to 12 to have a 25% chance to upgrade that speed secondary instead of just to level 3 for a 100% chance like player 1 had. If he gets lucky and his 25% lands, instead of the 100% chance that player 1 had before the changes, he can now slice it the same as player one.

Having a fairly good mod collection compared to the majority of my arena peers, I expect I’ll have a significant advantage in the long run in arena. Being a newer player, however, I expect I will be at a significant disadvantage in TW vs older players. In TB I will not be able to help my guild as quickly as before. In raids I will have a much harder time catching up to older players for those top spots, regardless of whether or not I have the same teams at the same gear levels.
  • BrtStlnd
    1094 posts Member
    ReyCharles wrote: »
    Read through most of this, love mods but have very bad luck with speed rolling multiple times.

My interpretation of this poorly explained slicing feature, which was made even more unclear by crumb basically saying something different than Carrie's OP, is this:

Slicing will give your purple mod that rolled 10 speed one more chance to upgrade speed. Blue mod two more chances, green three more. Essentially more opportunities for the stat you want to upgrade (speed) to upgrade. Also when tryping this out, making it seem that green +10 mods that you currently own are more valuable than the blue purple or gold mods that only rolled speed once? So your decent green and blue speed secondaries are the most valuable mods in game right now because we can roll the dice on them and make them better? Seems ok.

Regarding mods that have not been leveled... I'm super confused, it sounds like the secondary stats will be revealed by slicing but it says "upgraded" in the OP. So to me, there is a contradiction. I feel like they meant to say the secondaries will be revealed already. You will be able to see all secondaries on a grey mod, has 5 speed level it up only primary is changed. Splice it and get 4 chances that speed rolls up. Green mods, with speed secondary as the first secondary will roll speed once via leveling, splice to gamble on improving that.

Ugh I thought I understood but typing it out not sure anymore. Anyways can someone clarify please?

I don't mean this as an insult but I get the strong impression that the people making these posts don't play the game and in turn don't know how to articulate what they are trying to get across. They need to run this stuff by the gamechangers or someone like that to edit these posts for clarity.

Yeah Crumb’s post trying to explain was a serious word salad and I’m not certain he didn’t totally contradict what Carrie said. What he said about now seeing stats by leveling was totally incorrect, we see them already.
  • SolariJedi
    138 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    Very much looking forward to all the new content!! I started playing the game again after about a 9 month hiatus, and was a little underwhelmed by what few QoL changes had been made, especially considering how much there is to do in the game now. But @CG_Carrie all of these are very much a welcomed addition to the game, and make me excited again to be playing, especially the new characters from one of my favorite SW games of all time! Great job, to you and your team!

Hopefully, with these guys coming to the game, this leaves plenty of room, for Revan, Canderous/Mandalore, Bao-Dur, and Hanharr.
    Post edited by SolariJedi on
  • Ikky2win
    870 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    Tl/dr version: New mods you plan on farming, aside from mods that already start with four stats, will cost exponentially MORE with a far LESS chance of upgrading speed.
  • REVAN, Jedi, dark side, attacker... first cross over character usable in all dark and light aids events. Hoping hes not legendary so I dont have to buy like 5 people to get him. Lol
  • Ikky2win
    870 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    I’d also like to point out how slicing is going to impact people’s arena experience:

Let’s say you aren’t currently in the top 10 of your shard. All 10 people have fairly similar mods with speeds relatively close to each other. When slicing goes live, each player slices their current arena mods to try and get lucky and increase speed. If you have bad rng, and someone else in the top 10 has good rng, they suddenly have far better mods. You could go from having the fastest vader in the top 10 currently, to the slowest literally overnight if your slicing rng is bad and none of your mods slice speed and the other 9 people have good rng and get speed slices.

Slicing will have an immediate impact to the arena mods people are currently using. If you’re not religious at the moment you may wish to consider finding religion because you’re going to want to pray to the rnGod that you get good slices on your current arena mods and your shardmates don’t.
  • swgohfan29
    1147 posts Member
    Disclaimer: Theres a TLDR at the bottom. Also, theres math. Also, this is my intepretation solely. I am not part of EA and CG amd have as much concrete evidence as you guys.

There are currently 6 things deciding how good a
    mod is

1. Level
    2. Tier
    3. Dots
    4. Primary
    5. Speed Secondary
    6. Other Secondaries.

This change affects 1. 2., 5. and 6.

Levelling mods will now reveal a new secondary after 3 levels, until 4 secondaries are revealed. After which, it would level 1 random secondary per 3 levels.

Dots are unchanged. The more dots, the more good stuff.

Tier (the colour of the mod) will be changed as a result of the slicing mechanic. The slicing mechanic only works on 5 dot mods. After silicing a mod, the mod will move up 1 rung of the Tier Ladder.

(Gray--->Green---->Blue--->Purple---->Gold)

When slicing, 1 random secondary will be upgraded along with the slicing, to make the mods seem like they were already sliced (no i dont know by how much)

In these assumption scenarios, i will assume that the bonus for slicing is equal to 1 3-level upgrade.

E.G. 1
    Before: Green mod with 1 speed secondary.
    100% chance of getting 1 speed upgrade.

After: Green mod with 1 speed secondary
    By levelling: 25% chance to get 1 speed upgrade
    By slicing: 3 chances of 25% chance to get a speed upgrade
    Percentages of no. of speed upgrades
    0-31.6%
    1-42.1%
    2-21%
    3-4.6%
    4-0.3%
    n.b. Percentages do not add up to 100% because of rounding off.

Example 2

purple mod with 1 speed secondary
    Before: 3 chances of 33% chance each to get 1 speed upgrade.
    Percentages
    0-29.6%
    1- 44.4%
    2-22.2
    3. 3.7%

After: 3 chances of levelling each with 25% chance.
    1 chance of slicing with each 25% chance.

Hold. Thats the same as in e.g. 1!

Percentages. See e.g. 1, AFTER.

TLDR. For all mods with a speed secondary,after the update. there is roughly a 30% chance to get nothing, 40% chance to get 1 upgrade, 20% chance to get 2 upgrades, 4% chance to get 3 and about one in 333 will get 4. Assuming my math and my intepretation is right. If its wrong, @#$/@.

TLDR (Devs): Give me a test account so i can explain things for you. Maybe. Maybe my version is more complicated and un-understable. @#//@.

FINAL CONCLUSION: IMHO, now all mods can get god speed, but getting speed is harder to get sometimes. Also, gold mods are completely unaffected. Gray mods might get the most out of this.
  • thedrjojo wrote: »
    SoonerJBD wrote: »
    For those that don’t want to read my whole post I’ll summarize it:

Current System
    Green mod with speed secondary. It costs 13.5k to upgrade and you have a 100% chance to upgrade the speed secondary.

New System
    Green mod with speed secondary. It costs 168.7k to upgrade and you have a 25% chance to upgrade the speed secondary.

I mean, yes, that is true. But you have to keep a couple of things in mind here:

1) Previously on a green tier starring mod with a speed secondary it maxed out at 10. Yes, you were guaranteed 10, but it couldn’t go any higher. Now you could possibly hit 25 with a green tier starting mod. For those of us who don’t care about more +10 speed mods and are searching for +20 speed mods, this could be better.

2) It sounds like they are balancing mods. Right now only speed matters. But if balanced properly, knowing the other 3 secondary stats could be more important than knowing how often speed hits. Maybe a +5 speed mod with crit chance, offense is more useful on an attacker than a +10 speed mod with defense and heath.

1. Green and blue mods obtained through farming have been the only cheap and efficient way to get decent secondary speed for the many squads you need to compete in Territory Wars and other areas of the game unless you switch mods constantly. That is being taken away. You will now have to spend 168k for a much lower chance at getting the same number of upgrades, but since you now have that much lower chance even with mods that don’t start with secondary speed, you should go ahead and spend 168k on every single mod you farm, just to be sure. And if you hit, you will of course want to spend these new mats (which will of course be available for purchase via crystals) for a further tiny chance at hitting the jackpot. Lottery scratchers for everyone!!!

2. No, they are balancing mod sets, not stats. Changing the value of secondary stats would be a complete rework of the core mechanics of the game. What they are changing are set bonuses for the sets no one uses: tenacity, defense and maybe health. Those set bonuses will probably get enough of a buff that it might make sense to use them on a toon with the right synergy (defense set on a tank, for example).

I get it that you guys are upset about losing your green speed mods. I haven’t bought a green mod in I’m not sure how long. I don’t farm mods period. All I care about is purple or gold mods. If I get a +10 speed mod I’m disappointed because I don’t have much use for it, unless it’s crit damage primary.

They’ve made it pretty clear 6 dot mods are coming. They said months ago that mod management would come with 6 dot mods. They said in this post that more mod updates will be released. I’d bet you 50k crystals 6 dot mods are coming with updated secondary stats.

They talk about splicing 5 dot mods and to not sell them any more... All this to then make 5 dot mods obsolete with 6 dot mods? I don't think they are coming with these upgrades/at all...

They already answered this

Depth – Deeper investment in mods while respecting the investment made so far in existing mods

Slicing could be the way to keep 5 dot mods relevant. Balance the other stats so that with 6 dot mods you have the option of farming defense or protection or offense secondaries. But by not changing speed, and giving the option of getting more speed and other stats on your 5 dot mods, those current speed mods are still legit.

My overall point is everyone is complaining about something and they don’t even have all the details or understand how it all comes together.

Don’t ask for more hints about what is coming and then turn around and slap them in the face for giving you an early preview. And we wonder why they don’t like sharing things early?
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    I’d also like to point out how slicing is going to impact people’s arena experience:

Let’s say you aren’t currently in the top 10 of your shard. All 10 people have fairly similar mods with speeds relatively close to each other. When slicing goes live, each player slices their current arena mods to try and get lucky and increase speed. If you have bad rng, and someone else in the top 10 has good rng, they suddenly have far better mods. You could go from having the fastest vader in the top 10 currently, to the slowest literally overnight if your slicing rng is bad and none of your mods slice speed and the other 9 people have good rng and get speed slices.

Slicing will have an immediate impact to the arena mods people are currently using. If you’re not religious at the moment you may wish to consider finding religion because you’re going to want to pray to the rnGod that you get good slices on your current arena mods and your shardmates don’t.

That might or might not be true. The post wasn't clear whether you can actually slice beyond what you would get from orange mod or not. But considering that slicing is supposed to increase the mod tier and there is no tier beyond orange, I would guess that only lower tier mods are sliceable and those who have all orange (like the current top 10) will be completely unaffected.
  • SoonerJBD wrote: »
    SoonerJBD wrote: »
    For those that don’t want to read my whole post I’ll summarize it:

Current System
    Green mod with speed secondary. It costs 13.5k to upgrade and you have a 100% chance to upgrade the speed secondary.

New System
    Green mod with speed secondary. It costs 168.7k to upgrade and you have a 25% chance to upgrade the speed secondary.

I mean, yes, that is true. But you have to keep a couple of things in mind here:

1) Previously on a green tier starring mod with a speed secondary it maxed out at 10. Yes, you were guaranteed 10, but it couldn’t go any higher. Now you could possibly hit 25 with a green tier starting mod. For those of us who don’t care about more +10 speed mods and are searching for +20 speed mods, this could be better.

2) It sounds like they are balancing mods. Right now only speed matters. But if balanced properly, knowing the other 3 secondary stats could be more important than knowing how often speed hits. Maybe a +5 speed mod with crit chance, offense is more useful on an attacker than a +10 speed mod with defense and heath.

1. Green and blue mods obtained through farming have been the only cheap and efficient way to get decent secondary speed for the many squads you need to compete in Territory Wars and other areas of the game unless you switch mods constantly. That is being taken away. You will now have to spend 168k for a much lower chance at getting the same number of upgrades, but since you now have that much lower chance even with mods that don’t start with secondary speed, you should go ahead and spend 168k on every single mod you farm, just to be sure. And if you hit, you will of course want to spend these new mats (which will of course be available for purchase via crystals) for a further tiny chance at hitting the jackpot. Lottery scratchers for everyone!!!

2. No, they are balancing mod sets, not stats. Changing the value of secondary stats would be a complete rework of the core mechanics of the game. What they are changing are set bonuses for the sets no one uses: tenacity, defense and maybe health. Those set bonuses will probably get enough of a buff that it might make sense to use them on a toon with the right synergy (defense set on a tank, for example).

I get it that you guys are upset about losing your green speed mods. I haven’t bought a green mod in I’m not sure how long. I don’t farm mods period. All I care about is purple or gold mods. If I get a +10 speed mod I’m disappointed because I don’t have much use for it, unless it’s crit damage primary.

They’ve made it pretty clear 6 dot mods are coming. They said months ago that mod management would come with 6 dot mods. They said in this post that more mod updates will be released. I’d bet you 50k crystals 6 dot mods are coming with updated secondary stats.

I have 3.3 million GP and 200 mods with at least 10 secondary speed. I still farm mods daily (and buy from the store when good purple and gold ones are available) because you can never have enough fast mods. If you never farm mods then you either 1. Have spent enough real money on this game to buy a house, or 2. You have terrible mods on a bunch of the toons you throw in for TW. Those of us who like competing understand that there is always a use for a +10 secondary speed mod.

I get all of my mods from the mod shop, and only buy gold mods. Sometimes purple if the rest of the mod is nice. I don’t chase +10 mods whatsoever. I don’t care about them, they aren’t worth the cost. I assumed this was how most veteran players approached it. Everyone tells me I’m lucky for having a +132 mod set. Maybe I’m not lucky, maybe it’s my approach, because I don’t waste resources on lesser mods and only try for the home run.
  • Empiric1
    346 posts Member
    This is terrible I don't know about you but I like 10 speed green mods they are good for TW , TB , PvE content , etc.

You only need 1 set of +20 speed mods , your arena team
  • Jacen_Raye wrote: »
    Alaoh wrote: »
    Who are they? I searched for jedis on old republic and those aren’t even on page 2 of google search

Play the games. They’re SERIOUSLY good!

This. @Jacen_Raye best SW games ever IMO, KOTOR and KOTOR2. Played through a million times and keep coming back for more.
    @Carth_Onassi1973 yes! Me too! The best games ever!

• Before releasing any new character, what about HK47? Why is there no rework announced? He comes form KOTOR as well you know, just saying.
  • Kotor? Count me in!

Take my money.
  • Any mod with speed has the potential to be great - against the current speed trumps all criteria. More mods will have the potential to be useful/very good/great but the botttleneck is still the resource cost to look for those mods and then pump them up.
    They aren't going to nerf speed but it sounds like they will be definitely boosting defensive bonuses to maybe make speed less important.