The Road Ahead: July 5, 2018 [MEGA]

Replies

• Leafty91 wrote: »
    I hate these additions to the game, these characters are unknowns and they don't need to be in this game. Yes the old republic content is very popular within the SW community but I don't think mixing eras like that is good for the game. It creates a strange situation where all these unfamiliar characters are invading our space and being mixed with our familiar characters. Even if you created them in such fashion that their synergy would not allow them to be viable without one another, I still think people will still find uses for them in various squads.

I think the old republic characters don't belong in this game they same way a samurai warrior wouldn't belong in a call of duty... I just don't like this mixup when there's so much more to do, like for example rework the already terrible Jedi that we have in the game who don't deserve being this bad (Windu, Anakin, Ahsoka, Plo, Fisto)

Yeah I know there isn't much money involved in reworking characters who have existed for many years as opposed to releasing brand new characters, but at the same time you keep choosing the sacrificing of quality for the sake of quantity and that's just a recipe for problems.

The developers even stated at one point, that part of the fun was being able to create teams with heroes and villains from different eras and "what ifs" such as what if rex, a wampa, mother talzin, general kenobi and thrawn fought the triumvirate.

By your logic the characters from the original trilogy shouldn't fit with
    TVF wrote: »
    @YaeVizsla

That's not the part that needs explaining.

"By revealing the secondary stats prior to leveling up the secondary stats, we’re trying to give players the choice whether they want to invest in a mod before spending anything on it."

from that I feel like we're going to have to invest credits first, THEN slicing materials.. essentially doubling the grind per mod for a "useful" mod.. which I hope I'm completely wrong on.
  • MntMan
    281 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    Ha. Hey it's exciting that there is new content coming with mods and characters and I recognize that there has to be a balance for them of fixing/updating existing content and adding new content to keep interest at all levels. However I just can't believe that for a road ahead, future planning, which is an opportunity to address the masses, since they haven't done it elsewhere, they didn't take a few lines to address the STR and Ships 2.0 issues and that at the very least they have heard our feedback, understand our frustrations and are working to implement a better solution soon. That's all they had to do. Given the last reward rework that followed over a 1,000 responses to a feedback thread and didn't touch on tiers 1-6 at all it or the many pain points listed and the lack of progression towards Heroic it seems this is blatant.

Instead they throw out some KOTOR stuff because they know people will get over excited about Revan, which is not listed as coming, but regardless people go crazy for it anyways. I played the game (KOTOR), it was fun and had a cool storyline and plot, but settle yourselves down a little. I seriously hope they do make Revan just to stop people talking about it and they make the character about as effective as Ugnau because no matter what they do anyways everyone will complain about how they are not the super powerhouse meta they wanted or that some silly piece of lore wasn't taken into account. I mean for crying out loud we've been asking for mod sets forever and they announce it and haven't even shown it to us yet and everyones complaining.

Blarg. Take the blinders off here people. There are still issues at hand.
  • Agreed. Kotor and mod management, best day
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    I haven’t spent money up to this point. Don’t plan on it. But now there’s KOTOR...
  • Tarah
    202 posts Member
    totally agreed
  • Looks interesting! Sooo, when do we get Revan? I mean someone has to ask... lol
  • I love KOTOR, the story, and the characters. But you know, I just cannot get excited when I didn't see a single mention of ANYTHING to do with Ships 2.0 and STR (the snore-fest of the raid itself OR the rewards)
    Mod management will be fine, It'll make some events easier for sure. Slicing sounds like something you could ignore if you wanted - and it won't change anything, so really, no biggy. But, I've gotten used to mods. I've worked them into how I play... and all I see is a way for CG to use this as a chance to over-complicate something and make it worse for us.
    Fix stuff before trying to [redacted] change features that already work!
    Your new raid is a bore.
    It makes us snore, it's like a chore,
    We asked for just a little more...
    All we got back was, "Ignore!"
    #AcolyteShootsTwice
  • I just fail to see getting excited over more RNG, more resource acquisition, more cost mods.

Sure, you can spin the wheel on a junk mod... for big, long price.

But I have been known to make mistakes... from time to time...
  • mod slicing :smile:
  • Vinniarth
    1859 posts Member
    Agreed. Will see about spending though. STR and 12+ made me FtP. On the other hands KOTOR!! Stockpiling crystals...
  • SoonerJBD
    460 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    SoonerJBD wrote: »
    Ikky2win wrote: »
    For those that don’t want to read my whole post I’ll summarize it:

Current System
    Green mod with speed secondary. It costs 13.5k to upgrade and you have a 100% chance to upgrade the speed secondary.

New System
    Green mod with speed secondary. It costs 168.7k to upgrade and you have a 25% chance to upgrade the speed secondary.

I mean, yes, that is true. But you have to keep a couple of things in mind here:

1) Previously on a green tier starring mod with a speed secondary it maxed out at 10. Yes, you were guaranteed 10, but it couldn’t go any higher. Now you could possibly hit 25 with a green tier starting mod. For those of us who don’t care about more +10 speed mods and are searching for +20 speed mods, this could be better.

2) It sounds like they are balancing mods. Right now only speed matters. But if balanced properly, knowing the other 3 secondary stats could be more important than knowing how often speed hits. Maybe a +5 speed mod with crit chance, offense is more useful on an attacker than a +10 speed mod with defense and heath.

1. Green and blue mods obtained through farming have been the only cheap and efficient way to get decent secondary speed for the many squads you need to compete in Territory Wars and other areas of the game unless you switch mods constantly. That is being taken away. You will now have to spend 168k for a much lower chance at getting the same number of upgrades, but since you now have that much lower chance even with mods that don’t start with secondary speed, you should go ahead and spend 168k on every single mod you farm, just to be sure. And if you hit, you will of course want to spend these new mats (which will of course be available for purchase via crystals) for a further tiny chance at hitting the jackpot. Lottery scratchers for everyone!!!

2. No, they are balancing mod sets, not stats. Changing the value of secondary stats would be a complete rework of the core mechanics of the game. What they are changing are set bonuses for the sets no one uses: tenacity, defense and maybe health. Those set bonuses will probably get enough of a buff that it might make sense to use them on a toon with the right synergy (defense set on a tank, for example).

I get it that you guys are upset about losing your green speed mods. I haven’t bought a green mod in I’m not sure how long. I don’t farm mods period. All I care about is purple or gold mods. If I get a +10 speed mod I’m disappointed because I don’t have much use for it, unless it’s crit damage primary.

They’ve made it pretty clear 6 dot mods are coming. They said months ago that mod management would come with 6 dot mods. They said in this post that more mod updates will be released. I’d bet you 50k crystals 6 dot mods are coming with updated secondary stats.

I have 3.3 million GP and 200 mods with at least 10 secondary speed. I still farm mods daily (and buy from the store when good purple and gold ones are available) because you can never have enough fast mods. If you never farm mods then you either 1. Have spent enough real money on this game to buy a house, or 2. You have terrible mods on a bunch of the toons you throw in for TW. Those of us who like competing understand that there is always a use for a +10 secondary speed mod.

I get all of my mods from the mod shop, and only buy gold mods. Sometimes purple if the rest of the mod is nice. I don’t chase +10 mods whatsoever. I don’t care about them, they aren’t worth the cost. I assumed this was how most veteran players approached it. Everyone tells me I’m lucky for having a +132 mod set. Maybe I’m not lucky, maybe it’s my approach, because I don’t waste resources on lesser mods and only try for the home run.

I have a +136 set. I also have sets of +80 or more for all four squads I place on defense in TW and all of my best attacking squads as well.

It’s not all about arena. Farming mods is about giving your roster depth.Those +10 mods are extremely valuable in that regard. If you want one or two great sets, you buy from the shop. And I do. If you want a lot of decent sets, you farm. A green or blue mod has a high chance to upgrade once (100 percent for a green), and you get a lot more of them from farming. Plus, you only have to upgrade them to level 3 or 6 to see what their max speed will be. Very low cost. That makes them a good investment for squads that you want to get wins out of in TW. It also helps if you want to clear all waves in TB, get decent raid damage from multiple squads, etc. without switching mods around.
  • Goin under the assumption that all these things are months away (mods and new toons) @CG_Carrie thx for the communication, though so much stuff not addressed and vague... still happy to finally hear something from u guys ... how about some ability mat packs for few days now?? Plzzz
  • str_fix.jpg
    #AcolyteShootsTwice
  • DuneSeaFarmer
    3525 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    Looks interesting! Sooo, when do we get Revan? I mean someone has to ask... lol

REVAN... Why no REVAN... *sigh* He would be great to pair with HK47. Give them a synergy like Ahsoka and JKA.

fcgd46vyv2kb.jpg
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    NicWester wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »
    current system you upgrade stat 1 and 2 at 3 and 6, then unlock the other stats at 9 and 12.

Most of the time, but not always. I've had enough green mods with 5 speed that develop into gold mods still with 5 speed but now with 400 Protection to know, first hand, that just often enough to be annoying the game will give you a new secondary stat at level 3 instead of upgrading the one that's already there.

This is literally not possible. A green mod will always upgrade its existing secondary stat at level 3. You have not been paying close attention.

There's so much wrong with this that I don't know where to begin. It's not "literally impossible" because I've seen it happen, and the fact that you think it's "literally impossible" implies that you're the one who hasn't been paying close attention.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • TVF
    36519 posts Member
    Looks interesting! Sooo, when do we get Revan? I mean someone has to ask... lol

REVAN... Why no REVAN... *sigh*

Because maybe later?
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Ugnaught
    481 posts Member
    Apparently I'm the only one who would prefer canon characters.
  • MntMan wrote: »
    I mean for crying out loud we've been asking for mod sets forever and they announce it and haven't even shown it to us yet and everyones complaining.

I don't see anyone complaining about mod sets. People are concerned about the overhaul of mods because some of the information presented is really unclear and confusing, and we're not getting clarification.
  • SoonerJBD
    460 posts Member
    Ikky2win wrote: »
    For those that don’t want to read my whole post I’ll summarize it:

Current System
    Green mod with speed secondary. It costs 13.5k to upgrade and you have a 100% chance to upgrade the speed secondary.

New System
    Green mod with speed secondary. It costs 168.7k to upgrade and you have a 25% chance to upgrade the speed secondary.

I mean, yes, that is true. But you have to keep a couple of things in mind here:

1) Previously on a green tier starring mod with a speed secondary it maxed out at 10. Yes, you were guaranteed 10, but it couldn’t go any higher. Now you could possibly hit 25 with a green tier starting mod. For those of us who don’t care about more +10 speed mods and are searching for +20 speed mods, this could be better.

2) It sounds like they are balancing mods. Right now only speed matters. But if balanced properly, knowing the other 3 secondary stats could be more important than knowing how often speed hits. Maybe a +5 speed mod with crit chance, offense is more useful on an attacker than a +10 speed mod with defense and heath.

1. Green and blue mods obtained through farming have been the only cheap and efficient way to get decent secondary speed for the many squads you need to compete in Territory Wars and other areas of the game unless you switch mods constantly. That is being taken away. You will now have to spend 168k for a much lower chance at getting the same number of upgrades, but since you now have that much lower chance even with mods that don’t start with secondary speed, you should go ahead and spend 168k on every single mod you farm, just to be sure. And if you hit, you will of course want to spend these new mats (which will of course be available for purchase via crystals) for a further tiny chance at hitting the jackpot. Lottery scratchers for everyone!!!

2. No, they are balancing mod sets, not stats. Changing the value of secondary stats would be a complete rework of the core mechanics of the game. What they are changing are set bonuses for the sets no one uses: tenacity, defense and maybe health. Those set bonuses will probably get enough of a buff that it might make sense to use them on a toon with the right synergy (defense set on a tank, for example).

I get it that you guys are upset about losing your green speed mods. I haven’t bought a green mod in I’m not sure how long. I don’t farm mods period. All I care about is purple or gold mods. If I get a +10 speed mod I’m disappointed because I don’t have much use for it, unless it’s crit damage primary.

They’ve made it pretty clear 6 dot mods are coming. They said months ago that mod management would come with 6 dot mods. They said in this post that more mod updates will be released. I’d bet you 50k crystals 6 dot mods are coming with updated secondary stats.

I have 3.3 million GP and 200 mods with at least 10 secondary speed. I still farm mods daily (and buy from the store when good purple and gold ones are available) because you can never have enough fast mods. If you never farm mods then you either 1. Have spent enough real money on this game to buy a house, or 2. You have terrible mods on a bunch of the toons you throw in for TW. Those of us who like competing understand that there is always a use for a +10 secondary speed mod.

I get all of my mods from the mod shop, and only buy gold mods. Sometimes purple if the rest of the mod is nice. I don’t chase +10 mods whatsoever. I don’t care about them, they aren’t worth the cost. I assumed this was how most veteran players approached it. Everyone tells me I’m lucky for having a +132 mod set. Maybe I’m not lucky, maybe it’s my approach, because I don’t waste resources on lesser mods and only try for the home run.

I just looked at your SWGOH.gg profile. We have very similar GP. You have 84 mods with double digit secondary speed and 18 with 15 or more secondary speed. I have about 200 mods with double digit secondary speed and 26 with 15 or more secondary speed. Your arena mods are solid. But in Territory Wars, I’m going to vastly outperform you because I have a lot more speed on my fourth, fifth, sixth, etc. squads than you do. Because I farm mods.
  • Other KOTOR toons now, released in marquee format so only whales have any chance at the upcoming Revan journey. Everybody else can get him in 6 months to a year.

That's how I expect it will work out.

It's like some of you haven't played this game before.
    Hey, it's still better than MSF
  • str_fix.jpg

#AcolyteShootsTwice
  • Ugnaught wrote: »
    Apparently I'm the only one who would prefer canon characters.

That's boring, so few games actually recognize legends
  • TVF
    36519 posts Member
    current system you upgrade stat 1 and 2 at 3 and 6, then unlock the other stats at 9 and 12.

Most of the time, but not always. I've had enough green mods with 5 speed that develop into gold mods still with 5 speed but now with 400 Protection to know, first hand, that just often enough to be annoying the game will give you a new secondary stat at level 3 instead of upgrading the one that's already there.

This is literally not possible. A green mod will always upgrade its existing secondary stat at level 3. You have not been paying close attention.

There's so much wrong with this that I don't know where to begin. It's not "literally impossible" because I've seen it happen, and the fact that you think it's "literally impossible" implies that you're the one who hasn't been paying close attention.

@NicWester there may be a miscommunication going on here. In either case I think you're misunderstanding what happens with mods.

Are you talking about a mod you obtain that is green at the time you obtain it, with speed as the one secondary showing? In this case, the speed upgrades one time, 100% of the time.

Are you talking about a mod you obtain that is green at the time you obtain it, with a non-speed secondary showing? You can get one speed secondary at either level 6, 9, or 12, but it will not upgrade after it is revealed.

Are you talking about a grey mod? Same as the above - it can obtain one speed secondary, which cannot upgrade past that point.
  • TVF
    36519 posts Member
    Everyone is missing the big picture in this thread, which is that there's apparently a new color of mods coming...orange. ;)
  • SoonerJBD
    460 posts Member

Read other comments, man. Read literally any mod guide available via Google. The chance for a green mod to upgrade its existing secondary stat at level 3 is 100 percent. It happens every time. It is literally not possible for a green mod that begins with secondary speed to not improve that stat at least once. I’ve never heard of a single bug report to the contrary. So you are either saying there is a bug that has only ever affected you and not any of the millions of other people who play the game, or you are suggesting every single person who has ever written a mod guide, not to mention the devs themselves who have repeatedly explained this, are wrong and you alone have the correct information.

I choose option 3. You don’t understand how mods upgrade. There are tables out there. Seriously, go look at one.
  • Sorry if I missed if somewhere, but the post says materials to slice mods will be obtained through mod battles. Does the include mod challenges, or will we have to dedicate limited Cantina energy to an otherwise useless area to obtain slicing materials?

I am a bit concerned that new modes are being added (Ship table, slicing farming) but crystal income isn't being raised. The economy of the game felt pretty stable prior to these updates; I worry this is now going to skew very heavily toward P2P and make it impossible for F2P to have a chance at being competitive.
  • TVF
    36519 posts Member
    I guess Carrie is right that players have trouble understanding mods. When a long time player whose opinions and knowledge I respect can be completely wrong about how mods upgrade, I guess she has a point.

With that said I'm not sure this update is going to make things better. It might just make it worse.

Time will tell though.
  • CoastalJames
    2971 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    People wetting themselves about KOTOR (I still don't really know what it is) remind me of hipsters wetting themselves about a band's "early stuff".

Yeah yeah we get it :P you're cool.