The Road Ahead: July 5, 2018 [MEGA]

Replies

• Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    Mod management is amazing, and has been asked for forever. Good job. I'm excited for this long awaited change.

Making unnecessary and over convoluted changes to mods themselves is horrible. Bad job. I'm dreading the new farm for materials, and the new inflated cost to maybe improve a junk mod.

It's almost like they enjoying kicking themselves in the head.

I think they just enjoy kicking us in the head.
  • SoonerJBD
    460 posts Member
    Stokat wrote: »
    I’m impressed over the sheer amount of negative reactions to this road ahead. Mod management is something that has been asked for over and over by the community. Every quality of life or content update that have been released ppl have been complaining why they did this or that instead of implementing mod management and now that we get what we have been nagging about for ages ppl still complain about it? To me these changes sounds pretty great, sure the exact details of some functions remain unclear but I’m sure we will learn once they are implemented. It is also nice that they are improving some of the less useful stats so that mods that don’t have or upgrade speed secondaries can still be useful.

The negativity comes from the fact that they can’t just give us something we want, and that probably should have been available for a long time in the case of mod management. They have to find a way to package it with something that will suck more money out of us. Ships need a rework? OK. But let’s also nerf every ship and force players to farm forever or buy the materials they need to get their ships back to where they started. Sith Raid rewards aren’t satisfactory? Too much challenge gear? We’ll add new G12+ gear but make it so you have to finish 900 raids to craft one piece of gear. Just once it would be nice if they could give us something without also packaging it with a poo sandwich. Mod management. Just give us mod management. Don’t package it with a new system that nerfs RNG on lower tier mods and drastically increases the credit and energy sink for mods. They are counting on the fact that most people don’t understand probabilities and will thus be happy trading safe investments with guaranteed returns for lottery scratchers.
  • @CG_Carrie
    Can we slice mods that are not at level 15? We're used to have 100% chance of upgrade on Tier-D, 50% on Tier-C and 33.3% on Tier B. It only makes sense to allow us to slice our mods at least once before leveling it so we'd have a minimal control on which stat we want to improve, instead of the fixed 25% we have now.
  • Jml727
    114 posts Member

SoonerJBD wrote: »
    I’m impressed over the sheer amount of negative reactions to this road ahead. Mod management is something that has been asked for over and over by the community. Every quality of life or content update that have been released ppl have been complaining why they did this or that instead of implementing mod management and now that we get what we have been nagging about for ages ppl still complain about it? To me these changes sounds pretty great, sure the exact details of some functions remain unclear but I’m sure we will learn once they are implemented. It is also nice that they are improving some of the less useful stats so that mods that don’t have or upgrade speed secondaries can still be useful.

The negativity comes from the fact that they can’t just give us something we want, and that probably should have been available for a long time in the case of mod management. They have to find a way to package it with something that will suck more money out of us. Ships need a rework? OK. But let’s also nerf every ship and force players to farm forever or buy the materials they need to get their ships back to where they started. Sith Raid rewards aren’t satisfactory? Too much challenge gear? We’ll add new G12+ gear but make it so you have to finish 900 raids to craft one piece of gear. Just once it would be nice if they could give us something without also packaging it with a poo sandwich. Mod management. Just give us mod management. Don’t package it with a new system that nerfs RNG on lower tier mods and drastically increases the credit and energy sink for mods. They are counting on the fact that most people don’t understand probabilities and will thus be happy trading safe investments with guaranteed returns for lottery scratchers.

Pretty sure this is their game? Their vision?...sure you can take the people that play the game and allow them to contribute to ideas but wow when has this been your game and your plan? You play what they create. If you rather have it different then make your own game and see how you get ripped on your ideas and how you wanted it. They can’t allow the couple hundred who Always complain be the voice of the 100k people that just enjoy the game they produced. If fans had things their way you wouldn’t have a game...you’d have a cluster f*** of just gimme rewards.
  • This looks like the mod management system we’ve been looking for. Nice job listening to the suggestions of the community, CG.
    I’m personally not as worried about the “complication” to the mod system. It sounds like everything will work exactly the same, just some underutilized attributes will be buffed to try and provide some variety, as well as now that mediocre mod with a speed secondary has a chance to get upgraded to a good mod with a speed secondary. Not sure why people are complaining about this.
  • This looks like the mod management system we’ve been looking for. Nice job listening to the suggestions of the community, CG.
    I’m personally not as worried about the “complication” to the mod system. It sounds like everything will work exactly the same, just some underutilized attributes will be buffed to try and provide some variety, as well as now that mediocre mod with a speed secondary has a chance to get upgraded to a good mod with a speed secondary. Not sure why people are complaining about this.

Because
    1. We don't know how much it will cost to slice mods, it might become one of those P2W bottlenecks.
    2. The probabilities of upgrading the stat we want is lowered, it will now be a fixed 25% (unless we can slice before leveling) while it used to be higher depending of the Tier.

I personally really like this announcement but those who are complaining are expressing legitimate worries.
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    LordAdamz wrote: »
    This looks like the mod management system we’ve been looking for. Nice job listening to the suggestions of the community, CG.

Because
    1. We don't know how much it will cost to slice mods, it might become one of those P2W bottlenecks.
    2. The probabilities of upgrading the stat we want is lowered, it will now be a fixed 25% (unless we can slice before leveling) while it used to be higher depending of the Tier.

I personally really like this announcement but those who are complaining are expressing legitimate worries.

They served the community mod management. Just what we wanted!

I think we whined about it too much though, because I see some mysterious spices on it...
  • It was stated almost a year ago now, that Revan and KotOR would not enter the Galaxy of Heroes unless they felt the overall health of the player base was declining. Be darned if I can’t find the thread now. So I see this as an attempt to up the player base while sweeping the ship 2.0 and STR issues to a back burner.

And what’s funny, is the response from the player base. An entire generation has no idea about KotOR because the game is so old and has not been available on a major platform other than as a phone game since the original Xbox came out.

But again, most people could not identify Bossk in Empire for his 3 seconds of on screen time and single salivating speech impediment line at Admrial Piett.
  • Canderus Ordo would have been a much more iconic character to add from KOTOR than Jolee Bindo.
  • Ikky2win
    870 posts Member
    It was stated almost a year ago now, that Revan and KotOR would not enter the Galaxy of Heroes unless they felt the overall health of the player base was declining. Be darned if I can’t find the thread now. So I see this as an attempt to up the player base while sweeping the ship 2.0 and STR issues to a back burner.

And what’s funny, is the response from the player base. An entire generation has no idea about KotOR because the game is so old and has not been available on a major platform other than as a phone game since the original Xbox came out.

But again, most people could not identify Bossk in Empire for his 3 seconds of on screen time and single salivating speech impediment line at Admrial Piett.

Seems odd because from the outside it sure seems like the health of the player base is declining due to the sith raid and ships 2.0 (mostly sith from what I see). If their intent was to increase the health of the player base you would think they would fix the things that are hurting it, not just add new stuff.
  • TVF
    36524 posts Member
    Ikky2win wrote: »
    It was stated almost a year ago now, that Revan and KotOR would not enter the Galaxy of Heroes unless they felt the overall health of the player base was declining. Be darned if I can’t find the thread now. So I see this as an attempt to up the player base while sweeping the ship 2.0 and STR issues to a back burner.

Seems odd because from the outside it sure seems like the health of the player base is declining due to the sith raid and ships 2.0 (mostly sith from what I see).

I think their actual numbers would tend to say more than your guesses based on what you see here, which is a small percentage of the total picture. If it were really hurting the game, I think they'd change it.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Jailwatcher
    151 posts Member
    edited July 2018

Both Kotor and Kotor2 are available on steam for about $3.. which is on most major platforms.

Edit: Ok just checked and looks like the $3 was when they were on sale which happens 3-4 a year.. Its about $8 a game at the moment..
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member

Seems odd because from the outside it sure seems like the health of the player base is declining due to the sith raid and ships 2.0 (mostly sith from what I see). If their intent was to increase the health of the player base you would think they would fix the things that are hurting it, not just add new stuff.
    You have to keep in mind that the forum and reddit are a tiny fraction of the overall player base and not representative of it. The people upset over the sith raid and ships aren't even a majority of the people on the board and reddit, meaning they're not even representative of that unrepresentative fraction.

Vocality and volume doesn't trump data. We're privy to the noise, but not the data.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Eutus
    232 posts Member
    HK22 wrote: »
    Hmm......missing Carth Onasi, Canderous Ordo, Juhanni, Darth Malak, and Master Vandar.

Bruh. You right, but man Vandar seems like asking a lot and I think youd have a ton of confused casuals.

Also hurrah! @CG_Carrie so is the wookie tag coming back?
  • Gorem
    1190 posts Member

Both Kotor and Kotor2 are available on steam for about $3.. which is on most major platforms.

Edit: Ok just checked and looks like the $3 was when they were on sale which happens 3-4 a year.. Its about $8 a game at the moment..

Eight dollars for possible the best star wars game of all time is worth it! Contenders being the original battlefront 2 and jedi academy.

Funny how all those games are old now, like really old. And makes sense that many people don't know about it now, as yeah, what was said above. An entire generation skipped most of the iconic star wars games. (also love how both of the game defenders above say "Oh only a portion of total population is seen in public") Honestly, the vocal people here are the people who get others into the game or not. If your forums are crying, you are not doing well. Before I play any modern game, I know the best reviews to look for are never reviews that say its great, but reviews that show the games flaws. I always look for negative reviews to really find out about the true facts of a game.

If this road ahead post talked about them improving t1-6 rewards from the sith raid, and improving on ships, then that would cut out a vast majority of posters. But it didn't, its like they are trying to hide the fact that most of the feedback that's happened, has happened. People would be happy and more would come to the game as they would see the people who fight for game improvements actually accomplished something. People would see feedback given actually matters. Waving kotor only works on us older star wars fans, look how hyped I was at the start before I realised and remembered about marque :p

• Gorem wrote: »
    If this road ahead post talked about them improving t1-6 rewards from the sith raid, and improving on ships, then that would cut out a vast majority of posters. But it didn't, its like they are trying to hide the fact that most of the feedback that's happened, has happened. People would be happy and more would come to the game as they would see the people who fight for game improvements actually accomplished something. People would see feedback given actually matters. Waving kotor only works on us older star wars fans, look how hyped I was at the start before I realised and remembered about marque :p
    Those toons were planed well ahead of time. Delaying their release to fix the STR and the ships is counter productive. They probably also have different teams working on this. Respecting their release schedule shouldn't really affect at which speed other issues are fixed. Same for the mods. Why should they wait to find a solution for unrelated stuff when they have a new feature almost ready? If they were to talk about them, they would say "sorry, no fix at the moment, keep waiting". I don't think there is a malicious intent in their way of communicating or that they are trying to "hide" something. If they were, they would treat us like a bunch of ****.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    NicWester wrote: »

You have to keep in mind that the forum and reddit are a tiny fraction of the overall player base and not representative of it. The people upset over the sith raid and ships aren't even a majority of the people on the board and reddit, meaning they're not even representative of that unrepresentative fraction.

Vocality and volume doesn't trump data. We're privy to the noise, but not the data.

The two polls regarding Ships 2.0 both say the majority of people posting on the forums that dislike the update ARE the majority - by about 75% to 25%. So while I agree that vocality and volume doesn't trump data, neither do statements not supported by the data.

I get that you like ships 2.0 - and we can talk until we're blue in the face as to whether or not posters on the forums are representative or not (which is a pointless argument in either direction anyway) - but the polls regarding Ships 2.0 are pretty clear about where the majority of forum posters stand on that issue.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Pyrefly
    1254 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    The two polls regarding Ships 2.0 both say the majority of people posting on the forums that dislike the update ARE the majority - by about 75% to 25%. So while I agree that vocality and volume doesn't trump data, neither do statements not supported by the data.

I get that you like ships 2.0 - and we can talk until we're blue in the face as to whether or not posters on the forums are representative or not (which is a pointless argument in either direction anyway) - but the polls regarding Ships 2.0 are pretty clear about where the majority of forum posters stand on that issue.
    Be careful about drawing conclusions from internet forum polls inherently subject to self-selection bias. They can be interesting talking points, but don't always represent accurate data, especially as relates to an emotionally charged set of responses.
    swgoh.gg profile: Pyrefly -- Check out my Galactic Power Tables and my TB Phase Info Tables !!
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member

Except that the number of votes in the poll are a slim fraction of people who post on the forum, see?
  • TVF
    36524 posts Member

Except that the number of votes in the poll are a slim fraction of people who post on the forum, see?

And the number of people who post on the forum are a slimmer fraction of people who play the game.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member

I get that you hate ships 2.0 - Get over it. Dozens of players use the forums. Hundreds of players don’t.
  • Natos
    138 posts Member
    2 things that are REALLY bothering me about the mod management update:

1) Everything I have seen thus far seems to be getting tested on whale accounts. I mean every mockup. Every process. I say this because once again CG seems to be working against their stated goals of having "more people engage with mods". For example, a couple of CG mockups made the rounds on YouTube of late (Good thing!) but showed existing credit pools on the account into the double and triple digit MILLIONS but a charge of ~30-50K credits per mod load out (auto and saved load out respectively, I think). WHAT TYPICAL PLAYER THAT DOESN'T ENGAGE WITH MODS ALREADY WILL BE ALE TO BEAR THE BRUNT OF 30-50K CREDITS PER CHARACTER TO USE THESE FEATURES?! That's 150-250K for ONE raid or arena team, if you change all mod sets. IDK about anyone else, but that's not an insignificant ding to my typical credit balance. I won't be doing swapping any more often, no matter how "easy" they make it. The service is too expensive to use anymore often than I already swap mods around.

2) Based on some reading, then listening to others talk about the changes, it seems like the slicing system will require salvage to be acquired (farmed) through mod battles. That's great, except most typical players already dedicate cantina energy to other farming in most cases, so again CG seems to be working against their own stated goals. What typical player, even one that spends crystals on refreshes, will then turn around and have the time and available resources in game to farm up mod salvage? Especially since I can assume the mod salvage will have equally crappy drop rates to existing gear salvage, or worse, ship reinforcement ability mats.

At best, this is the typical EA money grab making this game into a pay to win. I see lip service to improving player experience, and increased in game spending at EVERY.SINGLE.POINT in the process. Make players spend more, frustrate them to the point of quitting, and hope marketing can keep more new players coming in than going out. F2P can **** right off.
  • SoonerJBD
    460 posts Member
    Jml727 wrote: »

Pretty sure this is their game? Their vision?...sure you can take the people that play the game and allow them to contribute to ideas but wow when has this been your game and your plan? You play what they create. If you rather have it different then make your own game and see how you get ripped on your ideas and how you wanted it. They can’t allow the couple hundred who Always complain be the voice of the 100k people that just enjoy the game they produced. If fans had things their way you wouldn’t have a game...you’d have a cluster f*** of just gimme rewards.

Two things.

1. We are the players. They make the game for us. It’s not a vanity project that they are just enjoying themselves and sharing with the world. Considering players like me who put actual money into the game are the ones paying for its continued development, I think our feedback is worthwhile and also the entire reason the forums exist.

2. I’m not taking issue with an artistic decision. This is a freemium mobile game produced by a company with a long history of squeezing money from its player base. Do you think they tell you marquee shard packs have a chance of 330 shards but don’t disclose that the chance is less than your odds of marrying a supermodel as an artistic statement? Do you really think they are exponentially increasing the credit and energy sink for mods because they think it will make the game more fun? I don’t mind paying for my entertainment. I would be much happier with paying them $10 up front for access to mod management than I am with all these backdoor sinks and RNG bottlenecks they add in to make the game more like a slot machine and less like an RPG.
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member

Two things.

1. We are the players. They make the game for us. It’s not a vanity project that they are just enjoying themselves and sharing with the world. Considering players like me who put actual money into the game are the ones paying for its continued development, I think our feedback is worthwhile and also the entire reason the forums exist.

2. I’m not taking issue with an artistic decision. This is a freemium mobile game produced by a company with a long history of squeezing money from its player base. Do you think they tell you marquee shard packs have a chance of 330 shards but don’t disclose that the chance is less than your odds of marrying a supermodel as an artistic statement? Do you really think they are exponentially increasing the credit and energy sink for mods because they think it will make the game more fun? I don’t mind paying for my entertainment. I would be much happier with paying them $10 up front for access to mod management than I am with all these backdoor sinks and RNG bottlenecks they add in to make the game more like a slot machine and less like an RPG.

1. Obviously they are making money, and he’s right: it’s their game. They can do what they want, why should you care if they make a dumb decision? Stop spending and they might learn from that mistake.

2. You’re right here: they love to squeeze the money out of you. But apparently people are still gonna pay no matter how bad updates are.

Overall, if you don’t like what’s going on, stop paying money. Or stop playing. They don’t listen to the player base much, that’s obvious, but right now this game is a big hit, so someone in this chain is doing something right. Just trust the process.
  • swgohfan29
    1147 posts Member

Two things.

this game is a RPG?

I thought i was more turn based streatgy
  • Roopehun
    344 posts Member
    swgohfan29 wrote: »

Two things.

this game is a RPG?

I thought i was more turn based streatgy

Strategy? With 5 units? Cute.
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    This game isn't an RPG. It's Pokemon with actual gameplay.
  • StarSon
    7411 posts Member
    This game isn't an RPG. It's Pokemon with actual gameplay.

The main Pokemon games have lots of actual gameplay.
  • We must be at a low poing in swgoh if pokemon takes over the road ahead topic lol.
  • SoonerJBD
    460 posts Member
    Are you leveling and gearing characters and improving their abilities to make them stronger so you clear increasingly difficult content to access better rewards to further progress your characters? It’s an RPG. You could certainly characterize it as a strategy RPG, but it is an RPG nonetheless. A pure strategy game would be something like Chess or even Starcraft, where everyone starts each game at zero and strategy alone determines the winner.