The Road Ahead: July 5, 2018 [MEGA]

Replies

• NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Ikky2win wrote: »
    NicWester wrote: »
    Gorem wrote: »
    You are both forgetting something. (especially Stokat saying speed won't be as effective, if anything, it will be more effective unless they go completely overboard, but then what, we end up with every hero in the game so defensive no one dies?)

This change is a massive nerf to all Green and blue mods. I liked green and blue mods cause on green, it was a 100% chance to up the desired stat, and on blue 50-50, if they came out and said that this was still the same only we'd see the stats first, then I don't mind the change at all.

In the end, it all depends on how this is implemented, we can discuss it all we like, but we still don't know the facts yet. We don't know how rng splicing mats will be, or how it all really works, we got so far two vague answers that contradict themselves, better to just wait and see what happens.

People need to cut it out with the Requiem For Green Mods. Like one bump of speed was all we need to make a character good, and we weren't all really pining for purples and golds with their potential 3-4 bumps. Or like we weren't selling them when they only gave 8 speed total.

Mods have been around for years now and we haven't seen so much as a thread about how OP and great green mods are, but now that they're going away suddenly every knee is jerking to react more strongly than the last...

I’m assuming you’re looking at it from the point of view of someone who has been playing a long time. I’m fairly new, started late November 2017, and I’ve been farming mods for months. I have more characters leveled and geared then I do mods for them. The green plus 8s are vital for my secondary squads and I still don’t have enough mods with speed secondaries to equip all my characters. Now if I had been playing for 2 years I might feel the same way about greens but you have to look at from the point of view of others as well.

Yes, I’m looking at this from the perspective of someone who has been playing a long time. My views come not from having enough mods (because I don’t) but from seeing all the changes over the past two and a half years and the number of times this game has been pronounced dead from them. This game died when mods were added, when mods were balanced a week later, when mod challenges required Jawas and Scoundrels, when mods were changed to a guaranteed one per sim, when ships were added, when mods affected ships, when territory battles were added, when territory wars were added, when tournaments were added, when tournaments were removed, when ships were revised, each Legendary after Yoda has killed the game, Luke killed the game, Rey killed the game, Baze and Chirrut and Buggs and Wedge killed the game, Rose being added killed the game the most I think because people were “forced” to get her in a Marquee. OH! Marquees killed the game, aurodium packs killed the game, one-node farms killed the game, characters being in guild and fleet stores killed the game. Han killed the game by being bad, then killed it again by being good.

Anyone remember the time the game died from precrafting?

My point is that literally any time they add anything the game is pronouced dead, and yet it just keeps going. Y’all cry wolf so often it’s lost all meaning.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • TVF
    36518 posts Member
    So you're saying the game is one big Nightsister Zombie?
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • StarSon
    7405 posts Member
    TVF wrote: »

Exactly, and it keeps feeding CG's bottom line every time it comes back.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    You are both forgetting something. (especially Stokat saying speed won't be as effective, if anything, it will be more effective unless they go completely overboard, but then what, we end up with every hero in the game so defensive no one dies?)

This change is a massive nerf to all Green and blue mods. I liked green and blue mods cause on green, it was a 100% chance to up the desired stat, and on blue 50-50, if they came out and said that this was still the same only we'd see the stats first, then I don't mind the change at all.

In the end, it all depends on how this is implemented, we can discuss it all we like, but we still don't know the facts yet. We don't know how rng splicing mats will be, or how it all really works, we got so far two vague answers that contradict themselves, better to just wait and see what happens.

People need to cut it out with the Requiem For Green Mods. Like one bump of speed was all we need to make a character good, and we weren't all really pining for purples and golds with their potential 3-4 bumps. Or like we weren't selling them when they only gave 8 speed total.

Mods have been around for years now and we haven't seen so much as a thread about how OP and great green mods are, but now that they're going away suddenly every knee is jerking to react more strongly than the last...

I’m assuming you’re looking at it from the point of view of someone who has been playing a long time. I’m fairly new, started late November 2017, and I’ve been farming mods for months. I have more characters leveled and geared then I do mods for them. The green plus 8s are vital for my secondary squads and I still don’t have enough mods with speed secondaries to equip all my characters. Now if I had been playing for 2 years I might feel the same way about greens but you have to look at from the point of view of others as well.

Yes, I’m looking at this from the perspective of someone who has been playing a long time. My views come not from having enough mods (because I don’t) but from seeing all the changes over the past two and a half years and the number of times this game has been pronounced dead from them. This game died when mods were added, when mods were balanced a week later, when mod challenges required Jawas and Scoundrels, when mods were changed to a guaranteed one per sim, when ships were added, when mods affected ships, when territory battles were added, when territory wars were added, when tournaments were added, when tournaments were removed, when ships were revised, each Legendary after Yoda has killed the game, Luke killed the game, Rey killed the game, Baze and Chirrut and Buggs and Wedge killed the game, Rose being added killed the game the most I think because people were “forced” to get her in a Marquee. OH! Marquees killed the game, aurodium packs killed the game, one-node farms killed the game, characters being in guild and fleet stores killed the game. Han killed the game by being bad, then killed it again by being good.

My point is that literally any time they add anything the game is pronouced dead, and yet it just keeps going. Y’all cry wolf so often it’s lost all meaning.

I assume you remember some very active and helpful posters like Telaan, Qeltar, and Cosmic Turtle ( @Qeltar , @Telaan and @cosmicturtle333 )? Do you know when they all stopped playing? When they nerfed mods 2 days after their release. Cosmic turtle is the only one who occasionally pops on to the forums, but from what I understand, hasn't played since then. They were just the very visible that left then.

Most intelligent people aren't saying the game is going to die - just that many of us long time players can see the change in direction. Many long time players (myself included) are seeing a similar frustration with HSith rewards and Ships 2.0 - both stemmed from the disregard for players who spent money to achieve certain levels of play and were then undercut by game changes made by CG/EA in the interest of money.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Gorem
    1190 posts Member
    Mzee wrote: »
    What kind of argument is that its "their game"? Without us, this game would not exist. We are the customers, and what is always said? The customer is always right :)

The real problem with the modern world is that in games like this, even when they are making terrible decisions, people still are giving them money. When in the past, if someone did this, they would go out of business VERY fast. Honestly the fact that the game is seeing a decline is a good thing, means people are using common sense and finally teaching them a lesson that they can't just make the game in their vision, they have to cater to the people actually playing the game now and then.

Hence Kotor characters being released. But not because we asked, because they know people love Kotor.

The thing is that this type of model that relies on microtransactions focuses on addiction, and competitiveness, which allows gameplay to take a back-seat. Once microtransactions began popping up it didn't take long for companies to start adopting business models that revolved around them. Freemium business models like this probably increases revenue a great deal while lowering development costs. Unnfortunately, the traditional customer first attitude is not very compatible for maximizing profit, and when EA owns the licensing for Star Wars there is no competition with the Star Wars universe. This also gives EA a lot more room to be aggressive with their strategies before it starts to cause a drop in profit from everyone going elsewhere.

All I can say is, too true ;-; I do so miss the days before DLC and micro transactions... Sure its great that we have "Free" games now, but man were games better before they came out with the false pretence of being free.
    Nikoms565 wrote: »

This. Given the recent history of the game since mid to late 2017 though now (the HSith raid, the rework to its rewards, Ships 2.0, etc.) I don't like the odds of players suddenly being thrilled with the RNG, the cost or the simplicity of making it work.

I'll reserve judgement until we have more details (especially ones that aren't self-contradictory) - but I will remain skeptical. "Fool me once" and all that.

Exactly. The only reason we are worried about the implementation of these new mod changes, is because of the recent past history of changes. Will this be the forth fooling, or will this be done right, one can only hope. If splicing mats is not totally rng (like the reinforcement mats from the cantina node, lol) Then it will be very welcome, if it is....

Yup! For a new player like myself who's only just recently hit 85, Any +8-10 speed mod is potentially a new mod for my main arena team. Not even including the fact that we have many characters in the game all each requiring a speed arrow and +8-10 or more speed from five other mods. For people who are even newer, this will really hurt progression.
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    StarSon wrote: »
    TVF wrote: »
    Exactly, and it keeps feeding CG's bottom line every time it comes back.
    Alternatively, it never died in the first place.
    Nikoms565 wrote: »

I assume you remember some very active and helpful posters like Telaan, Qeltar, and Cosmic Turtle Do you know when they all stopped playing? When they nerfed mods 2 days after their release. Cosmic turtle is the only one who occasionally pops on to the forums, but from what I understand, hasn't played since then. They were just the very visible that left then.

Most intelligent people aren't saying the game is going to die - just that many of us long time players can see the change in direction. Many long time players (myself included) are seeing a similar frustration with HSith rewards and Ships 2.0 - both stemmed from the disregard for players who spent money to achieve certain levels of play and were then undercut by game changes made by CG/EA in the interest of money.
    You know what’s really unusual for a mobile game? For people to play it for two years. These games experience a high churn and turnover rate. That’s natural—people play for a couple months based on hype, then fall off as they hit the pay ceiling or the game stagnates or their real life takes precidence. It’s genuinely surprising when I see people who’ve been playing for over a year, let alone for multiple years.
  • NicWester wrote: »

I’ve never said anywhere that the game is dead. I wouldn’t keep playing if I thought that was the case. All I’ve done is point out how the mod changes, as we currently understand them, will impact players and the game. One such change is the increased cost for leveling a green mod to have a lesser chance of upgrading speed. It’s going from 100% chance to 25% chance at a much higher price. Again, as we currently understand how it works. For newer players that is a disaster. For greens, blues, and purples. I don’t even have enough credits to level up my mods as it is, nor do I have enough mods for all my teams even though I farm them with 3-5 refreshes a day, every day.
  • NicWester wrote: »
    SoonerJBD wrote: »
    Until you do the math and realize that farming, leveling and slicing “every” mod into potentially a gold mod will cost an insane amount of resources. I actually did the math on what you would have to invest, on average, to get ONE gray mod to upgrade speed four time via farming, leveling and slicing. The total average cost would be the Cantina energy to farm 780 gray mods, 229 million credits to level mods, plus the materials to slice 346 mods. Those 1 in 4 dice rolls add up. If you want to see how I arrived at those numbers, it is in the thread about hoarding mods.

I’m sure you have literally billions of credits saved up to turn all those gray mods into arena winners, and I’m sure the drop rate on slicing materials will allow you to slice thousands of mods a week. Keep on trying to beat the casino.
    Slicing every white to gold is as deliberately missing the point as refusing to slice anything. It's reductio ad absurdum on both ends of the spectrum. Yes. You CAN slice every white to gold. NO, you're not going to.

Saying "potentially every mod is gold" isn't as big a platitude as it seems, though. It means your purple gets another bump, your blue gets two bumps. If you get a couple boosts to speed with the normal leveling up process, you can then choose if you want to roll the dice on slicing it for another two bumps--whereas before you just had to accept what you got.

Or if you got a Crit Damage triangle and it had 5 speed on it initially and you leveled it up and speed didn't get touched? Naturally you keep that one because it's still good, but now you get another chance.

Whites will still probably be sold off. Maybe they'll be used as ingredients for slicing, who knows how any of it is going to work. But either way, you're not going to increase them most likely. All of this exists as a thing you can do, but don't have to do.

EDIT: Also, how are you "doing the math" when they haven't even announced how slicing is going to work?

The point is that on the whole, we are going to be paying a lot more credits and now these new slicing resources for mods that won’t really be any better. You act like slicing is going to be free upgrades. You do realize that with your odds of improvement on speed going down for every tier except gold, you are going to have to farm (or buy) three or four times as many mods to even get ones that upgrade speed in the first place, making them eligible for slicing. If you have a nice stockpile (like I do) already, slicing will be a bonus up front. But farming new mods is going to be an even worse credit and resource sink than it was before.

How am I doing the math? Because I have a calculator? Yes, they did announce how slicing is going to work. It’s in the original post, and further comments are near the beginning of the thread.
  • Stokat wrote: »
    Until you do the math and realize that farming, leveling and slicing “every” mod into potentially a gold mod will cost an insane amount of resources. I actually did the math on what you would have to invest, on average, to get ONE gray mod to upgrade speed four time via farming, leveling and slicing. The total average cost would be the Cantina energy to farm 780 gray mods, 229 million credits to level mods, plus the materials to slice 346 mods. Those 1 in 4 dice rolls add up. If you want to see how I arrived at those numbers, it is in the thread about hoarding mods.

I’m sure you have literally billions of credits saved up to turn all those gray mods into arena winners, and I’m sure the drop rate on slicing materials will allow you to slice thousands of mods a week. Keep on trying to beat the casino.
    Slicing every white to gold is as deliberately missing the point as refusing to slice anything. It's reductio ad absurdum on both ends of the spectrum. Yes. You CAN slice every white to gold. NO, you're not going to.

Saying "potentially every mod is gold" isn't as big a platitude as it seems, though. It means your purple gets another bump, your blue gets two bumps. If you get a couple boosts to speed with the normal leveling up process, you can then choose if you want to roll the dice on slicing it for another two bumps--whereas before you just had to accept what you got.

Or if you got a Crit Damage triangle and it had 5 speed on it initially and you leveled it up and speed didn't get touched? Naturally you keep that one because it's still good, but now you get another chance.

Whites will still probably be sold off. Maybe they'll be used as ingredients for slicing, who knows how any of it is going to work. But either way, you're not going to increase them most likely. All of this exists as a thing you can do, but don't have to do.

EDIT: Also, how are you "doing the math" when they haven't even announced how slicing is going to work?

This. And also what I feel that many ppl are missing when complaining about slicing is that they also said that they aim at adjusting other attributes to make them more viable (defence specifically but maybe others like potency and/or tenancy as well). Speed might not be as op after the update as it is right now and if you chose (still your choice to do it or not) to slice a mod you know that some attributes will get better, maybe it doesn’t HAVE to be speed to good?

False. They did not say they are buffing other attributes. They said they are looking to bring up underused SETS. So the set bonuses for defense and tenacity are likely going to get a bump. That doesn’t mean defense or tenacity stats are suddenly going to be more important than speed. It just means you may have more reason to put a defense set on a tank or a tenacity set in certain circumstances.
  • Unfortunately, the game WILL die, one day.

It's up to the devs, and the choices they make, as to WHEN.

A great product, with great suppprt, and dedicated players will live a long time.

But it NEEDS all 3.
  • kalidor
    2121 posts Member
    KOTOR heroes - yay! :) More excited for those than all the heroes from the last two movies combined. Modsets! Yay! :) And about time, like the dev in change of it had a 1 line of code quota per day. Insane it took that look. Mod slicing? Hmmm.... :# Little worried that will be like ship omegas and reenforcement materials - low drop rate or huge numbers needed ...per slice, per mod. Feel like the last thing the game needs is yet another currency (which is what ability mats for heroes and ships are).
    xSWCr - Nov '15 shard - swgoh.gg kalidor-m
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    One such change is the increased cost for leveling a green mod to have a lesser chance of upgrading speed. It’s going from 100% chance to 25% chance at a much higher price. Again, as we currently understand how it works. For newer players that is a disaster. For greens, blues, and purples. I don’t even have enough credits to level up my mods as it is, nor do I have enough mods for all my teams even though I farm them with 3-5 refreshes a day, every day.
    And the point I'm making is that it's as overblown as precrafting was. Greens aren't important. They are, at best, a placeholder until you have better stuff. The window where you're using greens is so narrow because the price differential between a green and a blue is inconsequential compared to the difference in efficacy. Buying greens is a waste.

Farming them is another matter, but the credits you spend on leveling them up have always been better-suited on blues and better. Ironically, it's only in the final end-stage of player experience that greens become useful, as you have so many credits and so few things to spend them on that you might as well get a green.

Players will do as they have always done--look at the new system, find the loophole, adapt and abuse. Greens are bad now? Stop using greens, save resources for blues and better, discover you now have more resources because you aren't spending them the way you used to, buy better quality stuff. Players adapt and learn, you will, too.
    The point is that on the whole, we are going to be paying a lot more credits and now these new slicing resources for mods that won’t really be any better. You act like slicing is going to be free upgrades. You do realize that with your odds of improvement on speed going down for every tier except gold, you are going to have to farm (or buy) three or four times as many mods to even get ones that upgrade speed in the first place, making them eligible for slicing. If you have a nice stockpile (like I do) already, slicing will be a bonus up front. But farming new mods is going to be an even worse credit and resource sink than it was before.

How am I doing the math? Because I have a calculator? Yes, they did announce how slicing is going to work. It’s in the original post, and further comments are near the beginning of the thread.
    Everything is free if you don't pay for it. With slicing, paying will just increase the number of mods you get to slice. For someone who doesn't pay, like myself, it's a matter of using the resources you get to slice the right mods. I won't do any whites, I won't do any greens. But blues and above? Ones that hit on the 25% chance for good secondaries? Sure, why not.

You won't need to buy more, you're just going to wind up selling fewer. Used to be that you would buy a mod, level it up, not get the speed you wanted (none of that green nonsense, you spent your credits on quality.) and then sell it. Now you'll not get the speed you want and equip it to someone down the priority line.

Players will adapt. We figure it out. We're smart like that.
    Unfortunately, the game WILL die, one day.

It's up to the devs, and the choices they make, as to WHEN.

A great product, with great suppprt, and dedicated players will live a long time.

But it NEEDS all 3.
    All games die eventually. Players move on to the next new game, maybe they come back at some point, probably they don't. It happens, and it's healthy (not or the game, lol, but for the players). This game's been around nearly three years--that's I.N.S.A.N.E. if you really think about it. Part of the reason it's been around this long is that they have an eye towards player retention, but not towards player appeasement, and is still oriented towards bringing in new players. Bad games hit a certain point in development when they can't get new players, so they shift towards keeping the ones that they have by giving them whatever they want, but since the playerbase never really knows what it wants, eventually they implode because now everything is just given.

What I'm saying is they're doing a fine job. Sometimes their decisions impact long term players negatively, but those same decisions improve new player experience. Like, remember when Phoenix Squad and a whole bunch of weaker characters were added a long time ago? They were put in there for new players to take advantage of, because when I started I got to choose from Clone Sgt or Jawa when it came to farming up a new team. Giving new players better starting farms helped them a bunch, but older players complained (and said the game was dying) because these characters were bad, but were needed for so much stuff.
  • I don't expect them to give in to every whim, but I do demand, as a customer, that the developers at the very least acknowledge the playerbase. Since you had Clone Sgt to farm like I did in the beginning, you know this has been hit and miss since inception- with the misses greatly outweighing the hits. More so as of late. It's become a tongue in cheek joke- Make a mistake, swear to do better, make a mistake, swear to do better, and on and on and on. Now they've gone silent. The internet is a dark place, we can be a vengeful bunch. But we also are a vast resource of ideas, feedback and testing. It's a shame they only see us as dollars, instead of working with and for us.
  • LynnYoda
    1017 posts Member
    the day before a TB starts expect them so they can be put straight into platoons.....
  • soon

• Vinniarth
    1859 posts Member
    Soon?
    On a serious note: it is HK the login character this month. So, this month!
  • Gamorrean
    2745 posts Member
    Well they said we will get more info this month
  • Ikky2win
    870 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    And the point I'm making is that it's as overblown as precrafting was. Greens aren't important. They are, at best, a placeholder until you have better stuff. The window where you're using greens is so narrow because the price differential between a green and a blue is inconsequential compared to the difference in efficacy. Buying greens is a waste

Again, you’re looking at it from the point of view of someone who has been playing a long time. Take a look at my profile: https://swgoh.gg/u/ikky2win/ I started the last week of November 2017. What you don’t see on that profile is the 14 other characters sitting at level 1, 3 Star, but with enough shards to get them to 7. Not enough credits to either level them to 85 or star them to 7 stars. What you don’t see is the 19 mods of +10 speed or higher, 36 mods with +7-9 speed, and 18 five dot speed arrows sitting in my inventory that I don’t have enough credits to level to 15.

As a newer player I need those +7-+9 mods, which are mostly green, to equip my characters to be useful in tw, Tb, and in some cases even sith raid. I don’t buy them. I farm them. I haven’t t been playing 2.5 years. I’ve been playing a bit over 7 months. Now you’re telling me it’s going to cost even more to see if speed upgrades and I’m going to have a worse chance of upgrading speed?

Speaking of perspectives, if you looked at my profile I am obviously p2p. So my perspective is not only from a newer player but also a p2p player. These changes will impact F2P differently than p2p, newer players differently than older players, etc. As a newer, p2p player, I can definitely say the changes, as we currently understand them, will have a huge impact.
  • August
    https://swgoh.gg/u/totenteufel/
    “When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say.” George R R Martin
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Gamorrean wrote: »

Info doesn't necessarily mean character release, though...
  • Free 7* Marquee events and I will never complain again
  • on 15th is the Birthday, am i Right ?
  • i think sth will happen on Sunday
  • KKatarn
    629 posts Member
    NoomiZ wrote: »
    mcshant wrote: »
    Gamorrean wrote: »

I figured the same thing. Im more excited for the new toons than mod management. Hopefully they will be marquee. They need the ebon hawk too.

Lemme edit that for you ... Hopefully they will for once NOT be marquee events. Its an anniversary, lets for once give the playerbase what they want and not only want money and release them directly in the game!

Don't get your hopes up. As much as i wanted them to do like they did with Rogue One characters i don't believe that will be the case...
  • I love having trash in my roster I can do nothing with. Bring 'em on.

Though I am hanging on for the long awaited Jar-Jar Abra......Binks release. I have several crisp British notes waiting for you CG, make it so.
    Hey, it's still better than MSF