The Road Ahead: July 5, 2018 [MEGA]

Replies

• To be fair I already still have loads to farm still so I am in no rush to have some more marquee toons that I am probably then going to need to panic farm. It would be nice if at least one is a new legendary event and a couple go in the stores but I imagine they will want money so it will be marquee then 5 toons to farm as quick as possible for a Revan event
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    There's no event until the Mythic this weekend. Emperor's Demise is going on, but if you completed that you see nothing coming up, which they seem to be trying to avoid lately. So I wouldn't be surprised if there was a marquee event today or tomorrow.

(Not predicting one or calling my shot or anything, just saying I wouldn't be surprised is all)
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • MntMan
    281 posts Member
    Pile wrote: »
    The KOTOR toons along with what they suggest (Revan in the future) are just here to help squash some of the negativity toward the sith raid. The devs know that people will be expecting these new toons to make a significant impact with Revan being the equivalent of CLS in pit. So....We all know what's going to happen. The toons will be released in marquee events, opened at 3*. The typical gear up packs will be released in the store at $9.99 and will probably sell like mad. The crystal upgrade packs will be released as well for a mear 1099 crystals, which will also go like hot cakes. Revan will be released on a dual heroes/villians journey, opening at 7*. Once fully geared people will finally be able to make a decent dent in sith raid and the complaints will subside for a while. All in all, EA/CG is going to make a boatload of cash because of the release of these toons. They are basically capitalizing on the frustration that this raid has created and all of the **** and moaning that players have done on these forums.

This. So much this. It is exactly what is going on here. No word about a rework because there will be none for STR. What's funny is that if Revan is the answer the only people that will have him right away will be the Krakens and Whales (which is not a problem in my mind. People who pay should always get first), and it's likely these people are the ones who already do massive damage and have no issues doing HSTR to begin with so you will make them even stronger creating even MORE separation, not less, and more guild rifts as guilds coalesce that can do HSTR faster. The HSTR Reward change will also have an interesting dynamic here too. But it's more money in CG's pockets so who cares.

The whole Revan hype cracks me up. Old enough to see Return of the Jedi in theaters (Though not the two prior) and have played and enjoyed KOTOR (If I recall played it through completion 2 or 3 times), but I don't treat it like it's the best game ever in the world and oh my go oh my god Revan. Revan will be cool yes. Would it inspire my monocle to fall out if I was wearing one and a top hat? No. In fact I hope he comes out and everyone hates him. I hope he's got the same kit as Ugnaut because I'm tired of every release someone crying for Revan and how we must have him. I hope this happens then everyone will shut up about him, but that's just me. Now excuse me while I go farm my Tuskans which should be the new meta after the next release. I'm sure of it.
  • I’ve always thought it would be a hilarious April Fools joke if they gave us a new mystery character on April 1, already seven stars and G12, but it’s Jar Jar, and he is completely useless except to post a zero somewhere.
  • MntMan
    281 posts Member
    evoluza wrote: »

You don't need revan.... You need a snickers!

Ha!! Fair enough and nice reference/response. Though my response was written less angry (though I see how it can be read that way) and more shaking my head laughing at this point. After all. It is just a game. One I play so I have an interest in it and would like to see better, but not so much of an interest that it gets me angry and if it starts to frustrate too much I just go play some hoops or golf instead.
  • Mzee
    1777 posts Member
    The release of new characters never interests me. ALWAYS a cash grab. Either they are released as a marquee character that is behind a heavy paywall for many months (and then only farmable on a single energy hard node or high energy cantina node so takes forever with only an occasional exception) or they are released as a legendary/journey character and require characters that have only just become farmable (see veterans, and phoenix for examples).

Not to mention whenever new characters are released they immediately drop them in platoons and the final 2 days of platoons will suck. Last TB my guild on the final day could only complete 2/6 for all 3 platoons cause of SOLELY the new falcon, and Han Solo movie characters. This is unacceptable for a 160million GP guild.
  • Mzee wrote: »
    The release of new characters never interests me. ALWAYS a cash grab. Either they are released as a marquee character that is behind a heavy paywall for many months (and then only farmable on a single energy hard node or high energy cantina node so takes forever with only an occasional exception) or they are released as a legendary/journey character and require characters that have only just become farmable (see veterans, and phoenix for examples).

Not to mention whenever new characters are released they immediately drop them in platoons and the final 2 days of platoons will suck. Last TB my guild on the final day could only complete 2/6 for all 3 platoons cause of SOLELY the new falcon, and Han Solo movie characters. This is unacceptable for a 160million GP guild.

Yeah reworks to existing characters are far more interesting and exciting but they rarely happen cause they don't make money
  • Mzee
    1777 posts Member
    Mzee wrote: »

Yeah reworks to existing characters are far more interesting and exciting but they rarely happen cause they don't make money

Yeah, they usually only happen when they do a whole faction pass in conjunction with new characters to encourage people to build that team and purchase the new character. The reworks of Vader, and Palpatine were a nice gift though.
  • Jml727
    114 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    This doesn’t make sense...you are now saying credits are the problem. This game has always been about using your resources wisely! You don’t think guys that have been playing a long time never ran out of credits to level guys up?! They just have more toons and have had more time to level them up. As another person who joined in November, I keep about 3-6 million in the bank just in case I do get a mod but that doesn’t mean I don’t have 20 toons sitting around waiting to be leveled up also...you pick your squads and want and when you have them at a good point you move on. It’s a game of long thought out strategy.
  • Natos
    138 posts Member
    Jml727 wrote: »
    This doesn’t make sense...you are now saying credits are the problem. This game has always been about using your resources wisely! You don’t think guys that have been playing a long time never ran out of credits to level guys up?! They just have more toons and have had more time to level them up. As another person who joined in November, I keep about 3-6 million in the bank just in case I do get a mod but that doesn’t mean I don’t have 20 toons sitting around waiting to be leveled up also...you pick your squads and want and when you have them at a good point you move on. It’s a game of long thought out strategy.

Based on everything we've seen about Mods so far, it's going to be costing more credits.

Want to auto-apply the "best" mods to a toon? There's a credit cost to that.
    Want to swap mod load outs? There's a credit cost to that.
    Want to slice a mod ("similar to gear")? There's a likely credit cost to that.
    Want to reveal secondary stats on a mod? Despite what @CG_SBCrumb says, there's likely a credit cost to that.

Looking at some of the screen captures from the Game Changer videos, these aren't insignificant costs either compared to a typical player's credit balance (which CG doesn't catch, because they're testing on accounts with 10's of millions of credits). Prepare to run even lower on credits, or not use the new functionality.

Personally, my money is on the later as I'm betting people "don't engage with mods" because they're already investing resources elsewhere.
  • Jml727 wrote: »

The point is that credits are already a major crunch for anyone who hasn’t been playing a long time. Those also happen to be the people who are most reliant on green and blue mods from farming for their secondary and tertiary teams. And now they are vastly increasing the cost to see whether those mods improve while simultaneously lowering the odds they will improve.

Also, despite the assertions some people make that those who have played longer don’t really need greens and blues, I would suggest that they do if they want to perform well in all aspects of the game, particularly those like TW and TB which require using many squads. As a high GP player, I’m typically placing at least 4 decent squads on defense and looking to get wins on offense out of at least 6-8 others. Unless you are a mega-Kraken, you probably don’t have enough golds and purples to give your 12th best squad +10 or more speed secondary mods in all five slots. I have about 200 mods with double digit speed, and I’m very much at the high end with that number. That’s enough for 8 squads. Guess what the most efficient way is to get +8-9 secondary speed mods for those other 2-4 squads? Greens and blues from farming. And that’s before you consider that blues quite often make up a good portion of your mods in the +10-12 range.

The reality is you are only going to be able to rely on top-end arena level mods for your best handful of squads. The rest need those mods that upgrade once or twice but don’t hit the jackpot. They are taking away the only cheap and relatively efficient way to acquire those mods in high numbers and replacing it with the high-cost, low odds lottery tickets so you can dream of those +20 speed secondaries while sinking 5-10 times as many resources into mods as you used to for no better chance at hitting the jackpot.
  • Gorem
    1190 posts Member
    why exactly is it we getting Kotor one characters, but have the sith/villians from kotor2? I've not seen this question asked yet :p
  • t0neg0d
    616 posts Member
    Can't wait for the 50 page mod 2.0 feedback mega-thread that is ignored!

Yet another dumpster fire instead of giving us the simple tool we requested.

How could you hate your customers so badly that you do EVERYTHING you can imagine to drive them off?

Un-grrrrrrrrr-believable.
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Natos wrote: »
    Jml727 wrote: »
    Want to swap mod load outs? There's a credit cost to that.
    Personally, my money is on the later as I'm betting people "don't engage with mods" because they're already investing resources elsewhere.
    In fairness, there's an easy solution to this, and it's farming more mods. There's a fallacy that you need the best best of the best of the best mods for every character, when really a whole heckuva lot of them (pilots you don't use outside of fleet battles, platoon folks, territory war b and c teams, etc) just need mod sets. I threw a whole bunch of whites on characters a long time ago and slowly leveled them all up to gold. That severely cut down on the amount of mod swapping needed, and when I eventually focused in on that character and gave them a "real" set I was able to move their old mods to new characters.

I have a +21 speed 3-dot crit chance arrow that's been bouncing around characters ever since I finished the crit chance board. It's currently sitting on Wicket, I think :)
    Gorem wrote: »
    why exactly is it we getting Kotor one characters, but have the sith/villians from kotor2? I've not seen this question asked yet :p
    Don't we have them already? Nihilus, Traya, Sion, Marauder, Inquisitor, Trooper? I never played KOTOR2, but I know they came from one of those games. Are there more villains?
  • Luuke
    33 posts Member
    NicWester wrote: »
    Don't we have them already? Nihilus, Traya, Sion, Marauder, Inquisitor, Trooper? I never played KOTOR2, but I know they came from one of those games. Are there more villains?

What they are saying is that the incoming toons are from the first game, yet the villains we have (Traya et al) are from the second game, which was sort of an indirect sequel as it is. The baddie of the first game was Darth Malak.

• Natos
    138 posts Member
    In fairness, there's an easy solution to this, and it's farming more mods. There's a fallacy that you need the best best of the best of the best mods for every character, when really a whole heckuva lot of them (pilots you don't use outside of fleet battles, platoon folks, territory war b and c teams, etc) just need mod sets. I threw a whole bunch of whites on characters a long time ago and slowly leveled them all up to gold. That severely cut down on the amount of mod swapping needed, and when I eventually focused in on that character and gave them a "real" set I was able to move their old mods to new characters.

I have a +21 speed 3-dot crit chance arrow that's been bouncing around characters ever since I finished the crit chance board. It's currently sitting on Wicket, I think :)

Very true, but that's what we ALREADY do. Since the devs are trying to change that behavior, you and I are essentially saying, "uh, no thanks". That says to me they're on the wrong tack, again. They continue to look at numbers and draw the wrong conclusions.

Are people avoiding mods because they don't know what to use? Eh, maybe, but the predominate complaint has been that they're cumbersome, not because people can't figure out Speed = good. Do people avoid swapping mods cause it runs up a high bill? ABSOLUTELY, and further more, people get stuck all the time with mods on the wrong toons because they ran out of credits.

Like you say though, farm enough mods and no swaps required.
  • Gorem
    1190 posts Member
    Luuke wrote: »

What they are saying is that the incoming toons are from the first game, yet the villains we have (Traya et al) are from the second game, which was sort of an indirect sequel as it is. The baddie of the first game was Darth Malak.

This ^_^
    Revan is the hero from kotor one, Kotor 2 has a different main hero, the hero who actually defeats the sith Trio. (its funny how I think Kotor 2's hero is cannon female, but in the game, its so much better to play as a male due to the dialogue and companions).

So we have baddies from Kotor 2(+Visa, though there could even be a neutral Kreia, speaking of which, all neutral things are still "light sided", which is weird) but goodies from Kotor 1.

Where's mah handmaiden or mah mate Atton Rand.

Hey we have a whole Jedi Civil war to pick from, or the mandalorian wars....
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member

Very true, but that's what we ALREADY do. Since the devs are trying to change that behavior, you and I are essentially saying, "uh, no thanks". That says to me they're on the wrong tack, again. They continue to look at numbers and draw the wrong conclusions.
    See, here's the thing, though--that's what you and I do (although I really need to get back to it, but there've been too many good Cantina characters--and there are about to be more) but it's not what "we" do, if by "we" you mean the players at large.

Skim around the board and you'll find a whole lot of talk about people selling all their "useless" mods, people wanting farming "good" mods to be easier, people saying to not farm them but to only buy them from the mod store instead, people begging for easier mod swapping because they don't have enough good mods, etc. What you will find very rarely is people who are doing what you and I are doing.

This suggests that people aren't interacting with mods like us. Now maybe that's partly because you need cantina energy for some important characters, I know that's why I haven't farmed anything in a while and have really fallen behind. But that's largely a personal choice--I figure I can swap mods for a little while, but I can't swap characters I don't have, know what I mean? Good and engaging games are all about giving players viable choices and rewarding them for both at the expense of the other--such as me having a whooole bunch of characters, but at the expense of most of the new ones being largely unmodded.
    Luuke wrote: »

Thanks for the information!

Looks like we got some new NPC characters for the Marquee event. Sith Soldier is just a reskin of Sith Trooper, but Sith Commando has an absurdly high evasion while stealthed. A couple more Gamorrans, too, but I don't think anyone is very excited for those :p But maybe the Commando and whatever new stuff is added for the next stage of the event will come around some day.
  • Natos
    138 posts Member

See, here's the thing, though--that's what you and I do (although I really need to get back to it, but there've been too many good Cantina characters--and there are about to be more) but it's not what "we" do, if by "we" you mean the players at large.

Skim around the board and you'll find a whole lot of talk about people selling all their "useless" mods, people wanting farming "good" mods to be easier, people saying to not farm them but to only buy them from the mod store instead, people begging for easier mod swapping because they don't have enough good mods, etc. What you will find very rarely is people who are doing what you and I are doing.

This suggests that people aren't interacting with mods like us. Now maybe that's partly because you need cantina energy for some important characters, I know that's why I haven't farmed anything in a while and have really fallen behind. But that's largely a personal choice--I figure I can swap mods for a little while, but I can't swap characters I don't have, know what I mean? Good and engaging games are all about giving players viable choices and rewarding them for both at the expense of the other--such as me having a whooole bunch of characters, but at the expense of most of the new ones being largely unmodded.

Cantina energy is just another choke point for implementing the model CG proposes. I really doubt people will all of a sudden drop farming up specific toons with their Cantina energy to now farm mods. Slicing mats might be more of a draw in addition to the mods, but weighed in comparison to a character shard, I have my doubts.

It's all about resource allocation, and mods having been on the bottom of that priority list for a long while no, I doubt the proposed changes from CG will do jack to change that. More likely, the goal from CG is to drive up crystal spends on refreshes, which then increases sales.

This isn't so much a QOL change as it is CG saying, "look at the shiny thing, and ignore the resource crunch we're adding".
  • Atlas1
    1713 posts Member
    Pile wrote: »
    The KOTOR toons along with what they suggest (Revan in the future) are just here to help squash some of the negativity toward the sith raid. The devs know that people will be expecting these new toons to make a significant impact with Revan being the equivalent of CLS in pit. So....We all know what's going to happen. The toons will be released in marquee events, opened at 3*. The typical gear up packs will be released in the store at $9.99 and will probably sell like mad. The crystal upgrade packs will be released as well for a mear 1099 crystals, which will also go like hot cakes. Revan will be released on a dual heroes/villians journey, opening at 7*. Once fully geared people will finally be able to make a decent dent in sith raid and the complaints will subside for a while. All in all, EA/CG is going to make a boatload of cash because of the release of these toons. They are basically capitalizing on the frustration that this raid has created and all of the **** and moaning that players have done on these forums.

*snaps fingers*
    That’s where you’re wrong kiddo.

I refuse to spend money on marquee characters anymore. 3* or 4* makes no difference because you can’t 7* them for ~6 months.
  • swgregoriou
    323 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    Every time toons like Bastila are released I am so tempted to whale out, but then i realise it will take 200+ bucks and can't bring myself to pay that insane amount to get one 7* toon lol maybe if I ever win the lottery I will spend like that....

I am p2p and pay some times for gear if I am close to the next gear lvl, like g10 and higher.

For now I am gearing her up, got her g8 and will hopefully have her g11 by the time she is hopefully farmable in the cantina.

Are the new toons the new vets? Can't wait to find out.
  • Maagge
    52 posts Member
    Every time toons like Bastila are released I am so tempted to whale out, but then i realise it will take 200+ bucks and can't bring myself to pay that insane amount to get one 7* toon lol maybe if I ever win the lottery I will spend like that....

I am p2p and pay some times for gear if I am close to the next gear lvl, like g10 and higher.

For now I am gearing her up, got her g8 and will hopefully have her g11 by the time she is hopefully farmable in the cantina.

Probably closer to being the new Phoenix as there's a bunch of them.
  • Kanjo
    11 posts Member
    The road ahead should read...

We will balance Traya so that the game isn't broken.

• Kanjo wrote: »
    The road ahead should read...

We will balance Traya so that the game isn't broken.

The character you get from farming the toughest raid content SHOULD be part of the meta. She isn’t unbeatable.
  • Gorem
    1190 posts Member

Ay, I'm the same.

Bastilla is the first new released character I have ever even considered spending to get to 7 star so she is useable, But after actually looking at the prices? It turned me off completely.

Even the biggest deal would only let you try for her shards what, 11-12 times? if Each of those times is five shards, which is likely, that's $150 dollars spent on basically nothing? if it was like "Spend 50 for her five star" or something reasonable, I'd do it, but for a random chance roll that's more then likely 100% only 5 shards? uhh.

Guess we end up just waiting for either shipments or her to be f2p farmable and wait months to use her
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member

Buy the pack that gets her to 4*, then take two months gearing and leveling her. Once she hits shipments, start buying her for crystals. Much cheaper, in the long run.