The Marquee release structure owns bones.

Replies

  • Ztyle
    1948 posts Member
    I like the cadence and it's a good way to release toons, that said, there is one thing from the old days that I feel is missing and that is the monthly straight to farm toon, reason is that it feels more forthcoming for thee players, and accompanied by packs like the ones from Marquee(with a lower price or/and better drop)CG should still get a bunch of money on those toons
    They could choose some of those Generic toon that's already in game, I know collectors like me would love to get them even if they are the in the bottom of usable toons like CUP, Mob and Grievous
    I'm Danish , Leader of the Space Slug Alliance , living the SlugLife , My collection
  • SoonerJBD wrote: »
    Rebel_yell wrote: »
    SoonerJBD wrote: »
    I don’t mind the marquee releases as long as they follow the cadence they have established to get them to farmable locations. What I do mind is the continued marketing of shard packs as having a chance to drop 3-330 character shards without the disclosure of odds for the various drop rates. It’s predatory, it’s essentially gambling, and I thought Apple was going to clamp down on it. The loophole of forcing people to convert their real money into virtual currency before spending it on packs and pretending this makes it something other than an impermissible “loot box,” is ridiculous and insulting to players. If you simply priced the packs more reasonably and were honest about the odds, I expect you could generate a similar amount of revenue. But instead, the choice is to continue using the worst business model in gaming.

    I agree with OP and you. Marquee accompanied with staying true to release cadence is a great. It's not right they don't publish the probabilities for shard drops in the 5 - 330 packs. Especially with such a wild range. The crystal cost I'm less concerned by, just tell people the odds.

    They would have to lower the cost if they disclosed the odds (or increase the odds) because far less players, especially newer players, would bother with the packs if they knew how low the odds were to get anything more than the lowest three drops.

    Not sure I agree with the outcome but I get what you’re saying. Either way, definitely unethical to try and dupe new players into spending crystals on these packs. I guess the question they ask is “how much money do we make off players doing it once and never again versus how many repeat purchasers do we gain by changing cost / drop rate”
  • Iy4oy4s wrote: »
    As I’ve said before, marquees are fine, but really stale now. Need a new fresh way to get toons.
    Iy4oy4s wrote: »
    Are we ever going to get a new way that a toon is released? Since legendary and hero’s journey are very few and far between, marquees are getting really boring. Time to come up with something new huh? Maybe ( as I’ve suggested before) release a toon entirely in bronzium packs. That way, you give the people a way to spend those Ally points....or maybe as a reward for completing the dailies, 5-10 shards a day for completing them all? I dunno, but we need something new here!!

    i would agree to this, 5 shards a day for completing daily task. MSF does that with Wolverine
  • NicWester
    6433 posts Member
    Ztyle wrote: »
    I like the cadence and it's a good way to release toons, that said, there is one thing from the old days that I feel is missing and that is the monthly straight to farm toon.

    It's a matter of perspective. I do the marquee events, get the character, sell the mods I don't need, equip the ones that are good. Level them to 85, gear them to 7 or 8, depending on the stuff they need, and work their abilities up over time. Then, in 4-5 months when they hit the board I start farming them. I think of their release on a board or in a store as being their actual release, and everything that leads up to that as a preview period. So, from my perspective, I still get monthly straight to farm characters now that they're caught up (when the cadence first happened and there was that big lag as the first new-cadence characters made their way through the system, that was slow and boring. But it's over now and they're caught up). It's just that I got a head start on them for free a couple months earlier.

    It's a glass-half-full vs glass-half-empty perspective. Neither is wrong, necessarily, it's just a matter of which one you choose.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • EricsonX
    700 posts Member
    I miss those 1-7 star fights. Yoda, Palp, etc. BTW, is Greivious worth starting a farm for the rest of 2018 for?
  • EricsonX
    700 posts Member
    I miss those 1-7 star fights. Yoda, Palp, etc. BTW, is Greivious worth starting a farm for the rest of 2018 for?
  • JaggedJ
    1257 posts Member
    EricsonX wrote: »
    I miss those 1-7 star fights. Yoda, Palp, etc. BTW, is Greivious worth starting a farm for the rest of 2018 for?

    You mean Legendary events? Haven't had a new one of those for some time now.

    And no Greivous is not worth farming unless you've got nothing else to farm.
  • Wil wrote: »
    I'm just here to find out if "owns bones" is a good or bad thing.

    You and me both
  • Vohbo
    332 posts Member
    While I think Marquee events are fine, there is a structural problem with how the game has evolved.
    To use a character now, it NEEDS stars. Back in the days, you needed stars only for two things: raids and legendary characters. I don't really agree with the first part even, but it kind of makes sense for legendaries.

    Fast forward to today: you need 7 (!!) stars for Gear 12, which is such a standard and requirement for arena now that even something as powerful as Sion, Enfys Nest or BB8 below 7-stars is enough reason to attract attackers for a quick and easy victory. In addition, you need those stars for TB and Mythic events, not to mention that the need to use them in raids is even bigger than it ever was.

    So, a few things:
    1) Gear 12 should not require 7 stars. It never should have.
    2) If you buy the pack for a character, you should be able to use it in all events and raids regardless of the stars.
    3) Stars 5, 6 and 7 should have a bigger impact on character power.

    Yep, that's sure going to be an unpopular opinion, but I think it would be good for the game.
  • Every toon going to a single hard node is the annoying part. Waiting 6 weeks for them to be farmable and then another 6 months to 7* the toon. Sucks
  • ThisYeezy wrote: »
    Wil wrote: »
    I'm just here to find out if "owns bones" is a good or bad thing.

    You and me both

    i have improved my lexicon

  • Dosky
    13 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    Mr_Sausage wrote: »
    Dosky wrote: »
    IMHO the marquee events are the ruin of this game

    How so exactly? As said in the OP, some early characters were PAY ONLY. Would you rather them revert to the old style? New characters are pay only and we get zero free toons??
    This system with marquee events is terrible. In this way, when a pg becomes farmable for an F2P, it is already old. A long time ago the characters were released in many different ways (and never just for a fee).

    It would be (little) tolerable that the current system of marquee was reserved for those few pg that are really op (like Bastila) but it is absurd that it is used for every new pg. Too much time to put the pg in farming and months to finish it (because so they put them only in the hard nodes that is ridiculous).

    In this way the game is condemned because the abandonments are constantly increasing (at least among those who, like me, plays from the dayone) and who is enrolled is frustrated by not being able to have practically nothing of current meta
  • I agree with the OP, the events are fine, and i really agree that its the single hard node that was tedious at best.

    I would not mind: Marquee > store bought for a period > single hard node for a period > multiple standard farm nodes, added to the release cadence, but when they just sit on single hard nodes for months i just ignore those characters pretty much, chuck the dog a bone and i will spend a little cash, make my gaming life too difficult and i wont open my wallet, or i will play something else.

    I would also like to see at least a shard shop refresh with the odd new char, or some new kit, i guess many aged accounts are starting to load up with shard currency because that shop is now also very stale.

  • Edward
    621 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    "NicWester wrote:
    Releasing characters via Marquee event is the best thing to happen to this game.
    Iy4oy4s wrote: »
    As I’ve said before, marquees are fine, but really stale now. Need a new fresh way to get toons.

    In fact, Marquee has been the only way to get new characters for months, how many months I can’t even remember.
  • DrMaggot
    227 posts Member
    If I recall when Phoenix squad was released it was entirely F2P farm with kanan and zeb in shops, hera and sabine in nodes, don't recall for ezra.
    Same thing for R1 save for baze, I remember farming cassian, K2SO and jyn erso freely in shops ?
  • DrMaggot wrote: »
    If I recall when Phoenix squad was released it was entirely F2P farm with kanan and zeb in shops, hera and sabine in nodes, don't recall for ezra.
    Same thing for R1 save for baze, I remember farming cassian, K2SO and jyn erso freely in shops ?

    Phoenix yes. R1, kinda. I can't remember the exact mechanics, but I don't think Chirrut or Jyn made it into FTP spots at release. K2 was gifted to Droid users and iOS got to farm everything from scratch. Good times.

    I'm not saying there isn't a case to be made to mix up the release methodology, but Marquee events are by far the fairest format we've had since the game began. Even if they did become farmable right from the start, personally I wouldn't abandon my current farms to work on them. So I'm still 3 - 4 months out from starting on anything new. With the marquee format I have the ability to plan on which toons I want to F2P versus the periodic P2P farming in which I participate.

    Vandor toons haven't been released yet, so all this speculation they're only going to end up on a single hard node is a bit premature. Especially since all the toons that have made their way to a single hard node are meta or HSTR raid defining so I think it's fair they're in tough to farm locations.

    ^those comments aren't direct at you, I just jumped from responding to your R1 statement into a completely different topic / thought.
  • NicWester
    6433 posts Member
    Dosky wrote: »
    This system with marquee events is terrible. In this way, when a pg becomes farmable for an F2P, it is already old. A long time ago the characters were released in many different ways (and never just for a fee).
    Even before the switch to marquee events the characters were old before they became farmable. People who paid for them had literal exclusive access for months before they found their way into a store or node.

    You're right that a long time ago characters were released in many different ways (though you're wrong that they were never released for just a fee--Any character in Chromium or Aurodium packs were definitively for a fee, and Chirpa was a paid character, albeit for charity) but all those ways were worse for free players than Marquees. The only character that wasn't was Bodhi Rook, who was given to us all for free and then put into the Galactic War store the same day.

    You know. Bodhi Rook, the world-beater character that broke the game and is a must-have on every roster.

    Probably the most player-friendly pre-Marquee release method was by making them the daily login character, but that resulted in 30 shards over the course of the month, whereas Marquee releases give those 30 over the course of about 15 minutes, and another 20 if you do the final tier. It's the same, only faster and better.
    DrMaggot wrote: »
    If I recall when Phoenix squad was released it was entirely F2P farm with kanan and zeb in shops, hera and sabine in nodes, don't recall for ezra.
    Same thing for R1 save for baze, I remember farming cassian, K2SO and jyn erso freely in shops ?
    No. Phoenix were all Marquee releases with packs and bundles. They were put into stores and nodes about a month before Thrawn was released, but I'd have to look up when those happened. I remember it because shortly after Phoenix were released there were people who were IRATE that they'd paid so much for a squad that was "so bad," and then when Thrawn was released there were people who were IRATE that they wouldn't get him because they hadn't bothered farming Phoenix Squad.

    Rogue One releases, from memory:
    Scariff Rebel Pathfinder and Bistan were login characters in September and November 2016. Bistan definitely had an event where you could get an extra shard per day, and I *think* SRP did, too, but I might be misremembering that. Either way, Bistan became farmable on

    K2-S0 was given free to Android users (Google basically bought it for them) in early December of 2016, by late December it had been put into the shard shop. K2-S0 didn't become farmable until

    Chirrut, Cassian, Jyn and Shoretrooper were rewards for winning a player tournament from October to December 2016. Shoretrooper hit a node at the end of January 2017.

    Baze was put into Chromium packs in early November 2016 and shard shop late November (then taken out at the end of December). Didn't become farmable until

    Krennic and Deathtrooper were released, ironically enough, in the first Marquee Events (though they weren't called that yet) in January 2017.

    Kylo's Command Shuttle was released via bundle and packs in February 2017.

    If this post seems incomplete it's because it is! I need to go to work and haven't finished scrolling through the Update Threads to find out when specific characters actually reached farming locations. BUT I'm all the way through February 2017 and was about to start March, but I need to go to work. The point is, though, that the earliest characters were released in October of 2016 and by February 2017 only Shoretrooper had hit a node.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • I would like to see more events like the Bounty Hunter where you can set your sights on a specific toon to hunt down...just wish it was more monthly and less rare/random. It would be fun to have the Bounty Hunters be able to hunt by faction especially with these new jedi, maybe cad bane's jedi hunter unique would actually be useful.
    Otherwise I hope they start revamping some of the assault battle rewards...I know shard shop currency is great and all, but with all the stores becoming obsolete, I have plenty of shard shop options.
  • Marquee is a double edged sword.

    On one hand, yes you get the new characters at 3* with $9.99 for a jumpstart at 4*. On the other hand, if you're in a non spending guild, how long before you can't even fill platoons at day 4?

    Let's do the math here, because the price point for these new toons are getting ridiculously insane. If you buy the $10.00 pack it's about $200 - $300.00 depending per new character. Let's split the difference and call it $250.00 with that $9.99 pack included. In a period of less than a MONTH, we had:

    17th May 2018 - Vandor Chewbacca,Young Han Solo / 25th May 2018 - Qi’ra / 30th May 2018 - Enfys Nest / 7th June 2018 - L3-37 / Young Lando Calrissian / New Falcon

    That's 7 new Solo characters at $250.00 per character. Approximately $1,750.00 just needed for platoons. Range Trooper after that, now Shan and Bindo.

    I'm not complaining, so please don't take it as such. I just choose to not day 1 these after I did that with Fulcrum (and look how that turned out if you remember what happened). So, wait for them in PVE shipments. Cool, I can do that. If you're end game and top arenas you can easily stash a vault's worth of crystals pending you have nothing pressing to spend crystals on. I spent on this game and I refuse to pocket check the next guy or gal because that's not my main point. What I'm worried about is this is whale / Kraken burnout. That's not good for the game.

    Here's what I will complain about:

    Darn near every single one has gone hard node and even more so, DS hard node. They've said nothing new
    for GW / Arena / Shard Shop / Cantina token as these are usually entry to mid level characters but don't put in URRRURURWTHever, Lobot, Kit, etc. etc. I mean, put something new in there.

    I'd be interested to know where we are in the life cycle of this game and what the ratio is between new accounts and ones that retired.
  • OctopusPrime
    135 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    Marquee events show the greed this game is built on. I'll say it one more time:

    I'm perfectly fine with the release and packs, I'm perfectly fine with the characters going into shipments. But I will never accept the single hard node farm. I simply don't have the patient for these 5-6 month long farms, it's brutal and unfair. I am not gonna sit there and wait for 8-10 months to be able to fully enjoy a character. That's just absurd, they make more than enough money from the packs and shipments to be exploiting energy refreshes too. I haven't been able to farm mods in I don't even know how long because I'm stuck with these ridiculous hard node farms and as if that's not bad enough they don't seem to have an end. Meaning I'll simply never again be able to farm mods. Sounds like a great reason to just quit the game. More characters, less opportunity to farm mods for them. That's just unacceptable to me. If they don't start utilizing the in game stores soon I'll just drop out of the game. I can't keep with modding like this, the game is turning into a p2p only game but for f2p it feel like playing a limited edition, like a demo.

    I'm sorry but you can't argue with that.
    Post edited by Kyno on
  • I liked the game play for the Bastila/Jolee marquees, simply because it gave me a reason to use an all-jedi squad, which I don't generally do anywhere else. Used a different Jedi leader and squad comp in every tier and enjoyed it.

    So I do give the marquees a thumbs-up simply for enjoyable content in addition to a free 3* character.
  • Viserys
    445 posts Member
    I like marquee events, it's just that right now that's the only thing we're getting -- and I really miss having other vectors in the mix.

    The last Legendary (character) was BB-8, and that's almost a year ago now. I'd really like some new things to give me a priority that isn't "Get higher points in Sith Raid" or "Wildly speculate what I might need and kinda sorta build that just in case?"
  • Buddy
    179 posts Member
    Marquee is a double edged sword.

    On one hand, yes you get the new characters at 3* with $9.99 for a jumpstart at 4*. On the other hand, if you're in a non spending guild, how long before you can't even fill platoons at day 4?

    Let's do the math here, because the price point for these new toons are getting ridiculously insane. If you buy the $10.00 pack it's about $200 - $300.00 depending per new character. Let's split the difference and call it $250.00 with that $9.99 pack included. In a period of less than a MONTH, we had:

    17th May 2018 - Vandor Chewbacca,Young Han Solo / 25th May 2018 - Qi’ra / 30th May 2018 - Enfys Nest / 7th June 2018 - L3-37 / Young Lando Calrissian / New Falcon

    That's 7 new Solo characters at $250.00 per character. Approximately $1,750.00 just needed for platoons. Range Trooper after that, now Shan and Bindo.

    I'm not complaining, so please don't take it as such. I just choose to not day 1 these after I did that with Fulcrum (and look how that turned out if you remember what happened). So, wait for them in PVE shipments. Cool, I can do that. If you're end game and top arenas you can easily stash a vault's worth of crystals pending you have nothing pressing to spend crystals on. I spent on this game and I refuse to pocket check the next guy or gal because that's not my main point. What I'm worried about is this is whale / Kraken burnout. That's not good for the game.

    Here's what I will complain about:

    Darn near every single one has gone hard node and even more so, DS hard node. They've said nothing new
    for GW / Arena / Shard Shop / Cantina token as these are usually entry to mid level characters but don't put in URRRURURWTHever, Lobot, Kit, etc. etc. I mean, put something new in there.

    I'd be interested to know where we are in the life cycle of this game and what the ratio is between new accounts and ones that retired.

    *tsk!*
    His name is Urorororororororororororororororororororororororororororor
  • Psilosin
    163 posts Member
    Marquees are fine. The problem is the FTP stage after shipment release when EVERY character goes to a hard node or Cantina. Please revisit your decision to not add new characters to the various shops at the FTP stage. The problem with everything being a slow farm is it makes the game stale because your time is spent trying to farm the must have toons, the same as everyone else, and its like a neighborhood strata where every house must be white and every car must be blue and every shub must be a rose.

    The recent release of all the Han Solo movie scoundrels is a good example for this. There are some very cool and fun looking teams possible with scoundrels now, but if each ends up on a hardnode, ship hardnode or a 16 cantina node it becomes unappealing to experiment and try to have fun. Also now with teh Old Republic added and the speculation they will be needed for Reven...I know everyone is going to farm them and scoundrels will be on the back burner for a long time.

    It would be nice if some toons end up in stores like how Rogue1 and Phoenix did.
  • Tactyou
    754 posts Member
    Marquee event was nice from its initial launch. It was like dating a hot girl for the first time and she was sweet. Only to learn later that if you don’t drive a Ferrari, can’t afford to dine on a fancy restaurant, can’t afford first class seat....
  • swgohfan29
    1126 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    Marquee events show the greed this game is built on. I'll say it one more time:

    I'm perfectly fine with the release and packs, I'm perfectly fine with the characters going into shipments. But I will never accept the single hard node farm. I simply don't have the patient for these 5-6 month long farms, it's brutal and unfair. I am not gonna sit there and wait for 8-10 months to be able to fully enjoy a character. That's just absurd, they make more than enough money from the packs and shipments to be exploiting energy refreshes too. I haven't been able to farm mods in I don't even know how long because I'm stuck with these ridiculous hard node farms and as if that's not bad enough they don't seem to have an end. Meaning I'll simply never again be able to farm mods. Sounds like a great reason to just quit the game. More characters, less opportunity to farm mods for them. That's just unacceptable to me. If they don't start utilizing the in game stores soon I'll just drop out of the game. I can't keep with modding like this, the game is turning into a p2p only game but for f2p it feel like playing a limited edition, like a demo.

    I'm sorry but you can't argue with that.

    damnit. now i want to argue with this.

    First, Mods have nothing to do with hard node farms. Like, actually nothjng. Unless what you're saying is in terms of energy refreshes, in which case i would like to point that that adding them to catina store wouldnt do anything either, but clearly you're for that, so......

    Second, Why is it the devs fault that you're lacking patience? Thats you're personal problem.

    Third, the amount of money a comapny makes is up for them to decide. You dont get to say "Oh, you've made enough money". Imagine if they said "Oh, you've farmed enough gear. Lets restrict gear to LS/DS only."

    Fourth, if the situation is quit-worthy, then go ahead. If you re still here, the logical conclusion that it is not.

    Finally, the mod store sells on credits. Credits can be farmed in arena store and to a small extent catina store. Sounds like a really great place to farm mods, no?
    Post edited by Kyno on
  • NicWester
    6433 posts Member
    Tactyou wrote: »
    Marquee event was nice from its initial launch. It was like dating a hot girl for the first time and she was sweet. Only to learn later that if you don’t drive a Ferrari, can’t afford to dine on a fancy restaurant, can’t afford first class seat....

    Okay, but the entire point of this post is that it's ALWAYS been this way. It's just that with marquee events we get 50 shards and wait a couple months; before marquee events we got 0 shards and waited even longer.

    People have this notion that some day in the past there was a point where characters were released directly into stores and that they were never paid for. It's also completely and demonstrably false.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • NoTime
    15 posts Member
    You got it dude! All the people complaining about marquee events forgot already the time where you got nothing! Only way to find out if a toon was good was to waste alot of recources (that you dont had), to find out that Ugnaught was really that bad :smile:

    I´m super happy to have them and i fear the moment those complainers are heard!
Sign In or Register to comment.