Proposed Revision to the Character Release Cadence

2Next

Replies

• Stokat
    823 posts Member
    Cicero wrote: »
    I remember when they put Phoenix in multiple locations and then dropped a legendary for Thrawn like 2 weeks later. I don't see why that couldn't happen here.

That was a panic farm! But nothing beats the vets for the heroes journey. Terrible. At least Phoenix is needed in other places.
    It’s a shame they completely cut off the stores. I was hoping they would shuffle some but I guess it’s not fair to newer players. Then I thought of a layered system. So - if you got ig 86 to 7* in gw it would open up a new toon to get.

I suspect that teams of new toons will be spread out - hard node, guild store, cantina. But who knows. Maybe this will be for the new ls scoundrels.

They are counting on people’s love of the old republic and arena edge for people to buy the toons. While we all suffer through platoons.

I don’t mind the marquee events but choosing which hard node farm to farm is a very important choice. By the time you get the toon to 7 will they still be relevant ?

It was a panic farm for those that absolutely needed/wanted to get RJT the first time the event came but for the rest of us it was a pretty relaxed farm to be ready for when it returned some three months later (I think it was?). Still a much quicker route to get a 7 * RJT than the regular cadence with a marquee release followed by a single hard mode node.

Would be nice to see some more alternative release versions (legendary events, hero’s journey or others) but if it HAS to be marquee I really like the proposed cadence by the OP, great suggestion!
  • I have been farming single hard nodes since the game started. Death Trooper and Baze were painful - but it was so satisfying when I got there. I don't know what I'd do if I didn't have someone to farm. Visas and Holdo, and Sion are almost there so I am looking forward to new additions. If you don't think the character is important - then don't farm them. If you think they may be or you just have OCD - then start early and enjoy the gardening (like me).
    It looks daunting for people only playing a year or so - they have to do what we all did once upon a time: choose 3-4 to farm that you think are the most important. That is what used to differentiate players- which characters they chose to farm. At the very top everyone has everyone, kind of less enjoyable.
  • John_Matrix1985
    2276 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    Im pretty sure CG announced there wouldnt be any changes to arena, GW or Cantina store in the foreseeable future.

No money to be made there. The current system makes them money. Guy in my guild already has bastila shan at G12 7*. Maybe $400 in crystals. Times that by 250 Krakens and thats 100K made from one character.
  • Im pretty sure CG announced there wouldnt be any changes to arena, GW or Cantina store in the foreseeable future.

No money to be made there. The current system makes them money. Guy in my guild already has bastila shan at G12 7*. Maybe $400 in crystals. Times that by 250 Krakens and thats 100K made from one character.

They didn't say they wouldn't be cycling characters into the Guild Events Store or the shard shop though. They did it with Baze...and Nihilus? And they did it with Phoenix before the thrawn event.
  • Zevox
    172 posts Member
    Pulsipher wrote: »
    They didn't say they wouldn't be cycling characters into the Guild Events Store or the shard shop though. They did it with Baze...and Nihilus? And they did it with Phoenix before the thrawn event.
    They haven't put anyone in the shard shop since the Phoenix Squad though. Seems they've decided to leave that as gear and Grievous only.

Guild Events Store is still a possibility in theory, but so far they've only changed that when a new Territory Battle comes out.
  • My problem is you never know where the characters are going to end up. So I whaled on KRU and got screwed when they placed him in an 8 energy cantina node wth his ship. I got no where near the value as someone who whaled in Visas for example. It made me not want to every whale again
  • Draw4wild wrote: »
    My problem is you never know where the characters are going to end up. So I whaled on KRU and got screwed when they placed him in an 8 energy cantina node wth his ship. I got no where near the value as someone who whaled in Visas for example. It made me not want to every whale again

This is very true, and something similar has happened to me multiple times. Now I’m terrified that anytime I get a character they will be one of the easy farms.
  • Strubz
    429 posts Member
    Baze will forever hold record of being the absolute worst farm ever. I had quit playing for a few months right before he came out so when I came back, I saw he and Chirrut were the must have toons. 3 sims of a 20 energy hard node a day with no other locations to farm was brutal as I had to start with 0 shards. There were days I bought refreshes of his node and still got 0 drops.

The current release cadence is no where near as bad as it was. I'll be finished farming Visas to 7 star within a couple weeks, 50 shards to go. Didn't spend a dime on her. That being said I still like the OPs suggestion a lot. I'm a retired kraken and because I know how horrible hard node farms are due to PTSD from Baze, I buy the 10 dollar packs and then I buy a single 1299 crystal pack like a gambling addict hoping to hit it big.
  • Globuhl
    751 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    They could just bring back the 8 attempts a day we had not so long ago. Bringing it back to 5 a day was a bad decision. I know it was deemed to be temporary but everybody was fine with it. The progression to 7 stars was not that much better but it was steadier and less frustrating. Plus it wasn't that much of a gift as you still had to shift a significant amount of energy from gear farming to fulfill your 8 attempts.

So, yes, I agree something has to be done about this. 4 to 6 months to 7 star characters really makes the game frustrating to a point where you have to wonder if it's a game worth to play.
  • Besides veers, I can't think of another character with 3 hard nodes... So why would every new character get put on 3? Give us 2 and/or give us back 8 tries (8x2 > 5x3)
  • Stud3099
    601 posts Member
    thedrjojo wrote: »
    Besides veers, I can't think of another character with 3 hard nodes... So why would every new character get put on 3? Give us 2 and/or give us back 8 tries (8x2 > 5x3)

That wasn’t always the case. Other toons used to have 3 but have been replaced as more toons have been added to LS/DS
  • thedrjojo wrote: »
    Besides veers, I can't think of another character with 3 hard nodes... So why would every new character get put on 3? Give us 2 and/or give us back 8 tries (8x2 > 5x3)

Stormtrooper, Luminara, Jedi Consular, and Clone Sergeant all still have 3 hard nodes.
  • thedrjojo wrote: »

Stormtrooper, Luminara, Jedi Consular, and Clone Sergeant all still have 3 hard nodes.

So besides stormtrooper and veers, 3 useless toons. Still, with 150 toons, 5 is hardly any. Again, 2 makes much more sense currently
  • I'd settle for permanent 8 goes.

As it stands I do my 5 Sabine and 3 Veers then back to gear farming. Oddly enough I get more Veers than I do Sabine on average. I think they've deliberately made Sabine obnoxious due to Phantom which has one the best reinforcement bonuses.

Don't get me started on the junk lurking in the cantina.

I'm sure I saw somewhere that they don't do adding stuff to the stores anymore, aside from the gimme extortionate amounts of crystals one of course.

Hey, it's still better than MSF
  • It's sometimes difficult to escape our own situation to examine how the release cadence impacts the game for all playing levels. Part of the reason these high powered toons that have been released land on a single hard node is because 1) more established players should be able to refresh that node without consequential impact on crystals and 2) it prevents early-stage players from farming a late-stage toon out of "easy" stores.

The stores are established as early game farm locations. To maintain balance for early and mid-game players, late stage toons are relegated to hard nodes and high-energy cantina. Hence why the vets were put there. They are no-bueno, but JTR is top tier.

There haven't been any releases of synergistic teams since Phoenix. Vandor toons came out, but haven't landed on a farm location yet. Until that happens, we should reserve criticism.

A lot of the frustration comes from trying to farm all the new toons all at once. Pick the one that fits your plan. Refresh the node once a day (except when it conflicts with daily challenge) and you'd be surprised how quickly you get that 1 character to 7*. In my experience, the narrower my focus, the more enjoyable the game.

• Globuhl wrote: »
    They could just bring back the 8 attempts a day we had not so long ago. Bringing it back to 5 a day was a bad decision. I know it was deemed to be temporary but everybody was fine with it. The progression to 7 stars was not that much better but it was steadier and less frustrating. Plus it wasn't that much of a gift as you still had to shift a significant amount of energy from gear farming to fulfill your 8 attempts.

So, yes, I agree something has to be done about this. 4 to 6 months to 7 star characters really makes the game frustrating to a point where you have to wonder if it's a game worth to play.

8 attempts per day, not sure I had forgotten about that already! This smells likely for pre-Revan farming. Also - they had the thing where you received bonus Holdo shards while farming? And their was a DS equivalent too I think? Maybe that is the direction they want to go in providing a few more bread crumbs on the way to Revan. Either way - we "believe" that a Revan event is coming, and we think the farm will be tough. If you are free to play you need to make some hard choices with your crystal earnings and maybe your shard shop currency. If you don't save then I don't think you can get grumpy for not having the resources to pull it off later.
  • Rebel_yell wrote: »
    It's sometimes difficult to escape our own situation to examine how the release cadence impacts the game for all playing levels. Part of the reason these high powered toons that have been released land on a single hard node is because 1) more established players should be able to refresh that node without consequential impact on crystals and 2) it prevents early-stage players from farming a late-stage toon out of "easy" stores.

The stores are established as early game farm locations. To maintain balance for early and mid-game players, late stage toons are relegated to hard nodes and high-energy cantina. Hence why the vets were put there. They are no-bueno, but JTR is top tier.

There haven't been any releases of synergistic teams since Phoenix. Vandor toons came out, but haven't landed on a farm location yet. Until that happens, we should reserve criticism.

A lot of the frustration comes from trying to farm all the new toons all at once. Pick the one that fits your plan. Refresh the node once a day (except when it conflicts with daily challenge) and you'd be surprised how quickly you get that 1 character to 7*. In my experience, the narrower my focus, the more enjoyable the game.

Great post yelly. This game comes down to logging in frequently enough to claim free energy and mapping out a plan for farming, gearing, and team building. Some of this can be overcome by spending of course but really these are the only things that differentiate one players roster from another. Watch some videos, read through character skills, decide what will work to help you in whatever facet of the game intrigues you. If it was easy and quick for everyone to have all of the characters at 7 stars and gear 12.5 we would have no differentiating factors. We could go back to Frantic Fish and cast the line every 2 minutes...

• I play Rainbow Six Siege and always buy the season pass, it's $30, and you get 8 characters, plus a ton of good stuff. That's in a AAA computer game. Yet for some reason, companies like this think it's ok to charge 10x that amount for one character, plus the cost of gearing them up. It honestly makes me laugh in disgust. I'm not f2p, i've spent some money on this game, but I will NEVER stoop to that low of a level as to waste that kind of dough on one toon.
  • I agree. As a relatively new player, it's REAL exciting getting a free 3* character, 4* if I'm willing to part with $10, but while I was SUPER pumped to get Bossk and decide that my first dark side team would be a BH team, I'm still several weeks from unlocking the single hard node he's on, and judging from my experience with Sabine, many, many, MANY months away from ever getting him to 7*. 1 hard node is not a fun farm in any sense of the word.

There's nothing stopping your more advanced players who have already "emptied" the cantina/GW shops from continuing to buy extra shards of chars they've finished if they for some reason decide "Hey, I don't want to farm this new marquee char to 7*". The new characters are great, but they seriously need to be spread around more, and that includes into shops that apparently have been declared "off limits".