Forums [Mega] Rollback of Friday’s Bonds of Weakness Change

Prev13456789
Vampire_X
1435 posts Moderator
CG_TopHat wrote: »
I wanted to let you know that we are going to be reverting the Bonds of Weakness change from last Friday today. I also wanted to explain why we’re doing it and reveal a little more insight into our decision to make the change at that time in the first place. But first I’ll underline that it was the wrong call. What we should have done is announced that a change was forthcoming and spent a few days designing and testing the change. We should have then announced to you, the community, what the change was before we implemented it. It can be easy, in the face of the wrong call, to dig in and try to defend your rationale in the first place – but it would be the wrong thing for the game, and we are, like you, first and foremost fans of this game – so I am asking for your faith that, even though we may make the wrong decisions from time to time, if they really are wrong, we will correct it.

We are rolling back the Bonds of Weakness change because the battle system has a bug in it which prevents us from recalculating Max Health as it changes and, consequently, throttling the health percentage correctly (Dev Note: This sort of calculation is not being done elsewhere in the game and only affects this updated version of Bonds of Weakness). This is a client bug that will require an update to the client, which is some ways out. More importantly, beyond the length of time it would take to get the fix out, it also is probably not the right fix. Let me explain.

As a general rule, when we discover an infinite loop that allows players to trivialize end game content, we try to act as swiftly as possible. One of our internal goals is to try to avoid changing character kits in a negative way if at all possible. This doesn’t always work out that way, but it’s a guiding principle. In this instance, the key element that was enabling the loop is Asajj Ventress (and by extension, her synergies with the Nightsisters). Darth Traya is a part of that loop (with her Health Steal Up), but we’ve reproduced a similar team using Qi’ra – so really the problem is Asajj (and Nightsisters) with Health Steal Up mechanics.

In triaging the problem, rather than change Asajj and potentially alter the entire Nightsister faction, we wanted to see if we could change the context where they were facilitating an infinite loop and still leave them really good in the raid (and leave them unchanged everywhere else). This is where we fell down. Our definition of “really good”, especially on the back of a break neck change, is not the same as your definition. On top of it the fix didn’t work. Double whammy.

Rather than scramble and try to add another layer and double down on a bad fix, we’re going to roll back the change and go back to the drawing board. We are still going to be making a change to the raid or to the characters that enable the Critolyte team. However, whatever that change is we will test in house more rigorously and announce to you with more lead time, what change is coming. If we have to make a change to a character we’ll have an open conversation about how we preserve the investment made by people that are significantly, negatively affected by that change.

Thank you for being understanding in this situation and working with us to build a better solution.
Wicked Sith Queen with the Pink Saber

Replies

• Monel
    2776 posts Member
    Bravo!
  • Wow, first, props on actually paying attention to your players and correcting your mistake. Didn't expect it but appreciate it. Second, your team continually says they will test things more next time and communicate more next time, and trust us we care about the game like you do, etc. So pardon me if I have a hard time believing or trusting you...
  • Shok
    73 posts Member
    Props
  • I expected this my only issue is again rolling out a massive change on a Friday before the weekend...never a good idea.
  • Thanks for admitting you were wrong, and making the right choice for the players. :)
  • Good. Now how about the raid rewards and how those desperately need a fix?
  • What about no changes at all? huh?
  • Voloch
    16 posts Member
    evoluza wrote: »
    Thanks for admitting you were wrong, and making the right choice for the players. :)

They still change it

But hopefully with more thought into it next time.

Kudos for admitting a wrong. Not many do that.
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member
    Thank you for doing the right thing, and thank you for not using double speak to make excuses for it. Just plainly admitting you rushed out a bad fix, and taking action to make it right is the best thing you could do considering where we are. Getting opinions from people outside your bubble about changes like this BEFOREHAND would be a better option in the future. I don't like seeing this kind of thing happen. I want the game to last a long time.
  • Still want my old daka zeta back
  • Now if you could just make the raid fun......
    Hey, it's still better than MSF
  • @CG_TopHat

I applaud the decision to go back to the drawing board. It really is the right thing to do.

But I would really really like to draw your attention to the last part of your post:

"working with us"

If you want any faith being put back into the team from us, I implore you to use the playerbase to your advantage and listen to us. We know you have a plan, and we might not always like it- but we are your BIGGEST information resource. It would be foolish to neglect it. That doesn't mean always cave to our whims, but it doesn't mean ignore us entirely (ala Sith Raid thread and its wonderful bunches of pages).

It's a start, but we've been here before, haven't we?
  • Thanks. Still really confused on whoever decided to roll this out at the end of the week with no warning or anything.
  • Monel
    2776 posts Member
    Still want my old daka zeta back

This guy, lol. I want all my zetas back, cause I would do things differently.
  • Still want my old daka zeta back

When we roll out the Nightsister Zombie change this will occur. But until then, we're going to leave all the Old Daka Zetas slotted.
  • A step in the right direction admitting you were wrong. For that I tip my hat to you.

Now learn from this. Don’t roll out major changes right before you leave for the weekend.

Talk to the playerbase. LISTEN!!
  • It would be best in the future not to do updates on Friday afternoons.
  • Cstone812 wrote: »
    Thanks. Still really confused on whoever decided to roll this out at the end of the week with no warning or anything.

I made the call. Per the above, my general rule is to try to swiftly deal with infinite loop teams as fast as possible. Moved too fast this time.
  • Well done. This type of accountability is refreshing and appreciated. Please remember this experience the next time there is a hasty patch to be pushed out on a Friday. The community will thank you for it.
  • thank you for admitting you were wrong. hopefully you figure out a way to fix the Traya auto problem without hurting other teams.
  • CG_TopHat wrote: »
    Cstone812 wrote: »
    Thanks. Still really confused on whoever decided to roll this out at the end of the week with no warning or anything.

I made the call. Per the above, my general rule is to try to swiftly deal with infinite loop teams as fast as possible. Moved too fast this time.

I’ll double tip my hat for personally taking the responsibility for this! Kudos
  • I really want to believe this is something you're doing for us because you actually realized you messed up. I actually believe you did this because you saw the amount of refunds being requested and panicked. Either way I suppose I'm happy. Especially since this is something almost nobody can currently achieve so you should actually have the time to test it first.
  • Wiggensbog
    49 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    Very well put. Thank you for the changes. We all have something to learn from this :)
  • CG_TopHat wrote: »
    Still want my old daka zeta back

When we roll out the Nightsister Zombie change this will occur. But until then, we're going to leave all the Old Daka Zetas slotted.

So the Daka zeta is still going away? Why not do what you did with Barriss? Seems more appropriate.

• Monel
    2776 posts Member
    CG_TopHat wrote: »
    Cstone812 wrote: »

After a 2 day timeout you watched the replay and decided to over turn your call! Great job! Thank you!
  • MeshmeZ wrote: »
    thank you for admitting you were wrong. hopefully you figure out a way to fix the Traya auto problem without hurting other teams.

That's the hope. We're already investigating some other leads, but we're just trying to get the rollback taken care of today. I'll let the community know when we've got something more solid in place.