Dear EA

2Next

Replies

• I'll echo what others have said the current version of the shard shop is bad. I'd guess I've opened ~100 Chromium Mega-Packs, and this is a screenshot of the last Chromium Mega-Pack I opened. It was a stark reminder that opening further packs at this time is pointless. Having already 7* Leia, I can only convert the excess shards to a diluted currency and stockpile them on the off chance Vader or Rey appear in the shard shop.

The current structure of 6 facings (which can include the same character) is too limited of selection. The current daily refresh further limits the attractiveness, and finally the current exchange rate is too poor.
  • CPMP
    974 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Ovechkin08 wrote: »
    I don't know. And I no longer care. Your shard shop has created another F2P player. Well done.

Are you for real?
    Before you spend money on chromium packs you knew you had a chance to get extra shards for your 7* characters. Yet you keep spending.
    And now you tell me that you will stop spending because EA gave you a "gift" so you can trade your additional shards? So if they didn't even bother with shard shop at all, would you have kept spending? What am i asking, the answer is yes...since you have so many shards stacked.
    Hypocrisy much?
  • Rofl.

I'm glad you put gift in parenthesis or I would have had to do it myself.

I bought packs for a while. I stopped buying packs, like many others, when I found I was only getting excess shards. Their "gift" was not for us, but for them. A way to get people like me buying packs again. But it was executed so ineptly that in its current form it insures I won't buy packs again. I haven't had to spend any of my original excess shards. On the rare days that I want to buy one of the six characters, I can easily make that currency by buying extra Lumi/Phasma/etc shards.

So currently there is absolutely no reason for me to buy more packs. 95% or more of what I get will either be for characters I'll never use or for characters I already have maxed, and since the excess shards are completely useless at present...well...yeah.

Save your hypocrisy label for when you possess more information. So quick to judge and toss flames. We're all in this together. I stopped buying packs well before the patch. I thought the shard shop would make buying packs at least a semi reasonable thing for me to do again. I can afford it: the only reason I stopped was I wasn't getting anything anymore (which is not to say I have even close to everyone at 7*...I have 15/73 at 7*...another reason why it's so absurd that my packs are mostly excess shards). This is why I don't understand the shard shop: it doesn't really benefit anyone, including EA, right now. It was an excellent opportunity for them to sell more packs. Even at a 10:1 ratio, I would probably have bought packs again if it worked at all. But they set it up in such a way where people can easily get enough excess shards for the rare "worth it" character in the shop from the F2P parts of the game.

So the failure of the shard shop effects everyone. If the average person who spends money on this game (the people between whales and F2P) stops doing so, you're not gonna have much of a game anymore. A viable shard shop could keep people buying packs over the long term. Right now, even for those of us who can easily afford it, it's difficult to justify throwing money at packs of useless excess shards. Please fix this EA, for your sake as well as ours.

P.S. Shard shop exclusive character is a short term fix, and I believe the shard shop system has backed you into a lose/lose corner as far as how to price this character. Please surprise me.

• sid
    232 posts Member
    I'm no whale, but it's clear that incentives do not exist for whales to keep spending for the miniscule chance to score shards for new characters. Why doesn't EA just allow whales to outright buy the new character?

In essence, there is already precedence for this, spend at least $4.99, and one is eligible for the daily crystal pack.

What about spend at least $X, and you can buy the new character for $Y?
  • And you can't even get shards for the new P2P character with excess shards.

You're right, there isn't much incentive for the whales to keep spending either.
  • I will most likely be joining the "Former Whales" group...Love this game, but for the P2P players, (the ones who fund the game for everyone) the shard shop is a broken idea. I usually don't see shards for characters I'm trying to build up, and the wait/refresh time seems silly. So now I'm sitting around with tens of thousands of shard currency that is essentially useless to me at this point. Seems to me they could make even more $$$ by enabling a refresh button (which they probably will do) or letting us but the characters outright. Maybe even include the ability to purchase a character multiple times to build up shards. Not that EA needs any ideas about how to get more $$$ from people. :wink:
    "These aren't the droids you're looking for..." "Well, maybe they are..." Ally Code: 886-331-177
  • How about some person to person playing so we can have fun again with this game. You are not getting any better at it with just your game as is so some one on one would make it fun and we could make our own fun.
  • Wow, thank you to everyone who's commented on this thread. I was actually thinking of plinking down a little bit of actual coin (have yet to do so after 1.5 months of having the game) and now? I'm DEFINITELY not giving EA my money. From the sound of it, your time as a gamer isn't respected by giving rewards worth the time invested. And this is after spending actual money. Screw that. I'll keep playing this cash grab for free for maybe 30 minutes a day while I play other games more. I'm not trolling, I'm genuinely thankful for everyone's honest (and justified) critique with this game. You all have saved me a huge headache.
  • +1
  • clhs
    195 posts Member
    Like everyone else, I agree. The shard shop is about as much use as a one-legged man in an **** kicking competition. You basically have to have thousands of extra shards just to get a chance of unlocking Grievous. You may as well just make him available for purchase at a cost of £15,000 or USD 25,000. Ridiculous.
  • Ovechkin08 wrote: »
    Shard shop exlusive character...and you're giving us the heads up so we "don't spend all our currency before he arrives."

If I weren't so insulted by the shard shop, this would be funny.

I've spent a lot of money helping fund your game and I've enjoyed what the experience you've given me. Like many pay to play players tho, I stopped buying packs because of all the redundant character shards I was getting.

I was under the impression that the shard shop would be both a thank you to the people that have been funding your game, and an incentive to begin buying packs again.

I just traded in all my excess shards and was impressed with how much currency I received. Then I took a long look at the shard shop selection. I looked again. Then again. All I can see is a giant middle finger. Maybe some EA personnel laughing at me for spending money on their game, too.

I have access to zero of the characters I would like to trade for shards of, and of the 6 characters offered, I JUST traded in excess shards on 4 of them.

6 characters a day and only 2 shards each of these pre chosen characters. Not much of a thank you for the game funding. It would take over 45,000 currency to take a character from scratch to 7 stars in the shard shop, so it's not like you really have to worry about an abundance of P2P characters popping up suddenly at 7 stars. It takes 15,000 currency just to take a character from 6 to 7 stars. Those of you who have traded in shards already know that this represents a seriously enormous number of excess shards.

So what would it hurt to let us pick the players we want to buy shards for? I don't see how it could hurt pack sales, as people would be buying more hoping either for the character they're working on or for more currency.

I don't know. And I no longer care. Your shard shop has created another F2P player. Well done.

I sadly have to agree with pretty much everything you posted Mr Russian Goal Scoring Machine.
    Huge, huge dissappointment with how the shard shop is "rewarding" faithful players, that is the ones of us playing, paying and faithfully supporting the game everyday.
    Since the shop has opened I think I have been "helped" by about 10 shards, that sums up to only 5 days of opening the shop without the dissappointment of seeing Biggs Sexymustach or Kit Rastafari or other toons I don't care to use and already have 200 unused shards of...

Don't get me wrong, I really love the game, and contrary to what many keep saying, I don't think it's that buggy, trust me I've played other games which were loaded with bugs, this game is pretty clean in comparison, I'm fine with the gradual developping of content and updates, the game is only a few months old and keeps me excited and interested.
    I just have a feeling that the rewards are not up to par at all, the drop rates for higher level gear components seems sometimes ridiculously low. And now the shard shop... I don't even care that the exchange rate is 10/1. Just give us the shards we actually need. No refresh? Okay, BUT let us at least pick the ones we want, hey it's no more than 2 a day, even with that we wouldn't get Vader to 7 star before like 3 months!!

Force be with you all, whichever side you enjoy!
  • Atwell wrote: »
    Worse Company in America twice in a row... I was a long time EA fan (BF2-4, NFS) and I chose to keep an eye shut.

I'm starting to see the truth now.

After all the money I spent on this game, I kept quiet time and again, disappointment after disappointment. I had hoped that EA would be gracious enough to remember that those that spent money of this game deserve some repsect. I can see that this is not the case now.

Well written OP. It's about time people spoke up. Much respect for you being the one to do so.

Yeah, it's a WELL earned reputation. Sad to say but EA has grossly mismanaged the Star Wars license. Which is a shame. Fun games with horrendous RNG and massive micro transactions. I've dropped $150 on the game and I hate myself for it. Great game but all this company does is flip you off the more you support them.
  • I've only been able to read the first couple pages of comments here, so excuse me if my thoughts have already been discussed, but there seems to be a pretty general consensus in regards to the shard shop and EAs attempt to lessen the diminishing returns inherent in the games model. Being that this is a freemium game, we shouldn't be surprised that the developers are trying to maximize profits. They don't care if we're happy (in the long run, people who spends large amounts of money on these games rarely are satisfied at the end of the day), they care if they are still making money. So while they say they value our opinions, they really only value our credit card #s. The only way to make them change the game is if it's in the interest of their bottom line. The only way to do that, is to stop spending money on the game, and tell them exactly why you stopped. The originator of this thread has done just that, well done! Unfortunately, being that EA won't feel the effects of just 1 person ceasing to spend money, I encourage EVERYONE to stop spending money until issues like these are fixed. What better location to stage a "hunger strike" than on the companies own forum? I personally pledge to no longer spend money on this game until the shard shop is reworked in a manner that is able to compelling reverse the diminishing returns on in game purchases. I urge you all to join me and the initial author of this post. Again, well done to you Ovechkin!
  • Mol_Eliza12
    100 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Agree

In the shop you're supposed to trade shards. Getting 75 currency per 5 shards traded in and not even being able to buy 1 shard with these 75 is not trading. This is ridiculous. What's the point of even making a shard shop? The only thing EA gets for that is hundreds of livid players shouting at them.
    I recommend if they don't make this better, they should just delete this stupid thing that is now maybe the main concern of this game.
  • Rectification—THE main concern of SWGOH. Look at all these posts about it.
  • Kinzer1123 wrote: »
    I've only been able to read the first couple pages of comments here, so excuse me if my thoughts have already been discussed, but there seems to be a pretty general consensus in regards to the shard shop and EAs attempt to lessen the diminishing returns inherent in the games model. Being that this is a freemium game, we shouldn't be surprised that the developers are trying to maximize profits. They don't care if we're happy (in the long run, people who spends large amounts of money on these games rarely are satisfied at the end of the day), they care if they are still making money. So while they say they value our opinions, they really only value our credit card #s. The only way to make them change the game is if it's in the interest of their bottom line. The only way to do that, is to stop spending money on the game, and tell them exactly why you stopped. The originator of this thread has done just that, well done! Unfortunately, being that EA won't feel the effects of just 1 person ceasing to spend money, I encourage EVERYONE to stop spending money until issues like these are fixed. What better location to stage a "hunger strike" than on the companies own forum? I personally pledge to no longer spend money on this game until the shard shop is reworked in a manner that is able to compelling reverse the diminishing returns on in game purchases. I urge you all to join me and the initial author of this post. Again, well done to you Ovechkin!

By the way, I just restarted on a F2P account, swearing not to spend any money on it, also swearing I will stop playing very soon if this doesn't change.
  • +∞