A Very Brief Overview of Upcoming Mod Changes [MEGA]

Replies

• Lol, if you managed to get five omegas in six months I would be impressed.

More chars in cantina would be nice I agree, however that’s not really the point. Even with a new char, that only occupies you for a moment, then it’s back to wasted time/energy
  • This all looks well-considered and I hope beta testing goes well! I can already see that one this goes live players like me (small-time spenders) will be tempted to dig a bit deeper into our pockets.
    Alpo181 wrote: »
    Hey!

I have triple checked the thread and i didin't find any info how the 6E mods are going to affect ships stats. It would be super nice to know something about that too. People who are contesting for the top position in fleet arena will get sweaty when they realize there is no answer for that.

Thanks in advance!

That's a really good point, I'd love to know more.
    Chocov24 wrote: »
    Chocov24 wrote: »
    Ikky2win wrote: »
    The more I'm thinking about the energy change, the more concerned I am. There are two issues now that I see

1) This one I mentioned in my previous posts: Older players who are currently refreshing cantina energy and earning guild tickets no longer will, since they already have all the cantina characters. Since the new mod energy does not earn tickets, some people are going to struggle to get to 600.

2) Newer players (and by newer I'm meaning people in the 6-12 month range) who still need items from the Cantina shipments now have to decide whether to spend refreshes on mods or Cantina. If they spend them on mods, they not only don't get character shards, but they don't earn the cantina tokens because the new mod energy doesn't reward them. This means it will take them longer to get the characters in the Cantina store. Under the current system, these players could farm mods and still earn guild tokens to get the stuff they need from the Cantina store. Not anymore.

I'm not entirely sure how this is going to play out, but #1 I think is the biggest issue. As an officer or a guild, getting every member to get 600 tickets every day is about the worst thing we have to do. I'm sure other officers of guilds will commiserate. It's going to be even tougher now.

Wow congrats on being the guy who actually complained about mods getting their own energy. Proving that people will in fact complain about anything.

It's not a complain about the energy, they remove the factions so all the efforts in a useless faction that most of us did (gear, cantina energy, guild tokens, credits, etc..) now they remove that and also add the energy for mods that doesn't take your attention from the toons that you are farming? is the benefits that they new guys are getting. at least leave the faction requirements so they have to spend on them!

Actually, the energy part is rather important, if only because once you have all the cantina chars mixed out, You have no reason to spend cantina energy. So that effectively kills cantina dead, no use for chars, no use of energy for mods, means no cantina tokens, and that means no prints or shards to convert . This separate energy is going to cause a little bit of backlash once folks realize the hit to the cantina tokens.

No reason to spend cantina energy but you want cantina tokens. I don't understand your logic. Seems like you do have a reason to spend cantina energy.

I believe he means that won't spend on crystals for refreshes and just use the energy provided by the game with the bonus and exchange that for shards

You would have to be refeshing cantina energy more than twice a day before you would actually lose anything from this change. How many people are refreshing cantina energy 3 times a day to farm mods?

I do,. And FYI , even one refresh a day is still lost tokens, you are losing cantina tokens lad, the new mod energy DOES NOT AWARD CANTINA TOKENS . ..

When you have the cantina finished, all farmed, and store bought out, . . Then you farm mods, . . And since you aren’t farming chars, . . . You refresh to farm up 30+~ mods daily .. .. it’s not hard and there are folks that spend even more, . .. there is a huge loss there with the new energy, . . .

Why do you care about cantina tokens? If you're at the stage where you've already maxed the cantina toons then you'll also have maxed everyone who needs tokens, so you'll just be using them for shard shop currency. The number of sims it takes to make 5 shards worth of tokens is more than the number of sims it takes to make 5 shards from the table. Just spend your cantina energy on 8 energy nodes and the shard shop currency looks like it will more or less balance out.
    https://swgoh.gg/u/ionastarbound/
    Discord: Iona Starbound#5299
  • locodiel
    92 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    CG_SBCrumb wrote: »
    Oh, also, how is speed increasing by 3%? What does that mean. If I have a +16 speed mod, what will it go to? 16.48???

You most likely see it rounded up to 17 but in general speed is going to almost stay the same in the update. I believe you'll around 2-3 more points of speed on your character from upgrading an entire set so probably more worth it to you for the upgrades to the other stats.

So the exact value as shown in the picture is used to calculate operational speed during battle while I see a „display value“ that might be misleading? In the picture there was a difference of >0.6 speed points. Let this be the case with 3 of my mods. I join battle because I believe my fastest toons goes first. But then it doesn’t. Right?

Example: I have 3 mods with 10,5 speed. They will be displayed with a total value of 33, exact value is 31,5. Opponent has 2 mods with 10,9 speed and 1 with 10 exactly. Makes a display value of 32 while the exact value 31,8.
  • Prepare to be impressed my friend...
  • Edward
    651 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    I have been hoarding too many decent mods with speed and have upgraded all my mods to lv12 before the mod storm strikes me.
    Post edited by Edward on
  • I have to say I'm excited by the proposed changes, if a little apprehensive at the concept of slicing (I can imagine slicing mats being as rare as reinforcement mats).

With the significant boosts to other secondaries, do people still think speed will be king? My initial impression is yes, but speed sets will be less relevant.

With that in mind, how is everyone planning to prepare for this? I'm tempted to farm mods almost exclusively until the change to get as many greens with speed as possible. Not sure what sets to focus on though.
    https://swgoh.gg/u/ionastarbound/
    Discord: Iona Starbound#5299
  • StMagus
    3 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    I must say it sounds like a great and well thought out update. The only shame is that the character requirements will be dropped. In a game, like in all aspects of life, having to make hard choices is a must. All things that are easy become boring... Just a general point in an otherwise great effort. Well done!!!
  • Haruk
    108 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    Wow, some of the complaints!!

First off, for those crying about the new energy, and no longer being able to spend Cantina energy when you have *everything*,

Bro. If that 144(base) is so important, why not just 'waste' it on a shard node, and turn those in via the shard shop? Thanks to the fact that new characters will continue to be released, you'll never *not* need gear from there. And *even* if you have stockpiled thousands and thousands of gear, cuz you is best in game, and thus you're set for the next 50 characters they release,

'Waste' the energy regardless, just to help you hit your 600.

Also, seeing as how they just announced mod battles are going up to 9, it's entirely possible that at some point down the road, they will also increase basic Cantina to 9 as well. Oh look, more battles to spend energy on.

As for the removal of character requirements, GOOD! It's been a horrible, awful waste of time, tokens, and energy(in game, and real world) having to worry about needing badass teams of characters I like, but don't really wanna focus on.

Does it suck for those who have already 'maxed' out those toons? Sure, but they still have uses, in TB/TW and the various assault battles.

Also, true congrats for being *awesome* and *hardcore* about grinding out those teams.

However, Devil's Advocate: If you want a refund on what you 'wasted' on those toons, I think you should also be forced to give up any 'rewards' you got from them.

So like, if you're Commander Luke or Raid Solo, or General Leia have benefited from your being able to farm mods thanks to your dedication and badassery, and you demand a refund, they have should their mods stripped from them.

And you should probably also loose a ton of other stuff too. In fact, as I think about it, I'm sure the benefits of your hardcore farming is massive, and probably too difficult to truly determine, so I think those demanding refunds should just have their accounts reset back to level one, their teams all wiped out and forced to fully start over from the beginning.

And who knows, maybe in the nearish future, they'll come up with other areas for those teams to shine.
  • Very good changes.

Amazes me how many crybabies and anti persons hang out on the forums complaining about every change.These changes are very good and very complicated and I am happy I put time and some cash into a game where game developers actively bring in new content and try patch/modify the existing content to be better. Mods has been hell before and these sets and new upgrades and balancing are all very very good.

I got one question regarding the 6E mods (upgraded gold 5* mods):
    -Do 6E mods increase pilot power and thus affect ship power and stats ?
  • Globuhl
    751 posts Member
    Now that's a great introduction to the next mod update. I know I be harsh sometimes but you did a very good job here @CG_SBCrumb.
  • vksg
    132 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    CG wrote:
    Mod Challenge Requirements Change
    ... now going to take another step in accessibility by removing the specific character requirements on Mod Challenges. While we recognize the investment many elder players have put into these characters, ... players are not engaging with mods is that they don’t meet the character requirements... This results in new players having to make a hard choice between investing in the characters ...

Harsh news. What about those players not "eldery" that just made the hard choice to go for Jawas and therefore currently accept a disadvantage in other aspects of the game in trade off for a future advantage once the mod challenge is unlocked? This is a huge set back. As it happens I just got my team ready, unlocked Jawa Engineer yesterday.
    It may not be as relevant for elder players that have a collection score > 50%, but for mid gamers it's tough to have the rewarding return on a choice of month long investments changed to zero.
    benjammin wrote: »
    I’m asking sincerely - what are your plans to reimburse my 700+ shards invested in Jawa for a competitive advantage that now means absolutely nothing? I really hope you’re not going to just hang me out to dry.....

I understand CG's reasoning but at least please get the Jawas an alternative usage scenario. E.g. a regular Jawa-only event that rewards high end mods or something similar. Reimburstments in terms of crystals/material won't work. Those seem to work "on averages" but actually never do if you look at all individual players (where there shouldn't be overcompensation either).

PS: Thumbs up for communicating the changes in such detail.
  • States,
    Suggestions for the next few weeks
    Level up your Green, Blue or Purple mods if you want to take advantage of how revealed substats are currently leveled into prior to the upcoming change.”

How??
  • With the next wave of mod changes upon us, this decision to remove the requirements has left me and a large portion of the alliance I belong very annoyed. We were forced to farm certain toons/factions to aid our improvements but now it's being given on a plate to everyone. Will we get any form of reimbursement, of course not, do they actually care about older players, doubtful. It feels like a slap in the face, yes it might seem an overreaction to some but the level of investment we were forced to put in now feels that some form of recompense is in order, as with other areas of the game when we've been forced into a corner in order to stay competitive and things haven't been wai then a refund has been issued. EA take note, you are risking alienating your older players more and more.
  • I'm very very positive about this update. :)

Most of the stuff is easy to imagine the consequences of, but the stat changes for both primaries and secondariness might will seriously change things! the health boost will make STR way easier (good), boost healers (fine) and perhaps make zBarriss great again (Nooooo! :D ). Will defence matter? Critical avoidance, tenacity? Who knows. Exciting!

I'm worried about one thing though. As others have mentioned, what should end-game user spend their cantina energy on? We need either new toons (likely to happen) or nodes with some resource to farm. It could be omegas/prestige, ships stuff etc).

My last comment is how close we are to the final dream: combining squad and mod management into one. Imagine if we could save a squad including their mods. That would be heaven for raids.
    Also, the ability to temporary move mods would be brilliant. The mods would be moved to your toon(s) and returned automatically after the battle. No more arena teams without mods.
  • Any refunds of the precious resources we spent for the damned jawas???
  • Dude, seriously, try not to be a ****. Farming Jawas ****, so why would you want someone else to have to do it? Make the game more fun for everyone, and more people will play it. That’s all they’re trying to do. And as an aside, I bet there’s way more “required” farms now than when you were farming jawas, too.
  • Then why not remove all other requirements. Farming crappy chars for cls, Rey etc is pretty boring too no? More people to play...
  • I've been playing since the beginning and have had farm factions everytime they were required so why shouldn't I feel a little annoyed that these nodes are now being handed to people and as for the fact you need to have words blanked out shows how ignorant you are.
  • Thanks for all the details here on the mod changes. Thinking about mods and the various levels brings up something semi-related that affects my gameplay and I assume many others as well: I’m mildly red-green colorblind, and certain colors, while usually distinguishable side-by-side, can require a lot of effort to tell apart or to make sense of at a glance, especially when they are used sparingly. In particular the exact shades used for the “green” and “gold” mods are, to my broken eyes, very hard to tell apart.

This means that when I’m glancing at mods I’ve gained from a run of mod challenge sims, or at the mod store, I can’t immediately tell if I’m seeing gold or green mods, and while I can with concentration sometimes tell, I’m never totally sure (and I don’t really think I should have to squint to figure this out), and so I have to click through on the mod to discover which type it is.

It’s a minor thing, for sure, but this type of color blindness affects probably 5-10% of your male audience and 2-3% of your female audience (color vision genes are on the X chromosome so women are much more likely to have a complete set), and while the severity varies from person to person it is the type of thing that can often be solved by choosing slightly different shades of the colors involved, or by adding some other, non-color based visual clues that correspond to the information being portrayed by the color.

This sort of issue is really common in video games, unfortunately, but I’m sure there are some red-green colorblind people on your staff (though they likely won’t be in the art department—colorblind folks often get discouraged out of pursuing visual careers) who can help choose the right shades, and there are lots of good accessibility resources out there with guidelines on how to approach this sort of thing.

Thanks for listening! I’m looking forward to the mod changes. Keep up the communication! Thanks.
  • I merged a couple of "mod change" threads here, hope that's ok with all.

And here's a question for someone old and slow and who hasn't been paying attention -

What, in simple laymen's terms, are the upcoming mod changes. Sure I'm not the only one who'd appreciate it spelled out nice and clear...thanks.

• Another great change would be changing all arrows with critical avoidance stat to either health steal or counter chance.
  • Lukadollar wrote: »
    I've been playing since the beginning and have had farm factions everytime they were required so why shouldn't I feel a little annoyed that these nodes are now being handed to people and as for the fact you need to have words blanked out shows how ignorant you are.

The value of characters constantly changes as we progress forward. I’ve got a bunch of Pit raid characters I developed a long time ago that are worthless now because new characters came that can do it 10x better. Same with HAAT. I’m sure at some point a lot of us are going to have a G12 Pao that sits on our roster doing nothing because Chex Mix is an outdated P3 team. My arena droid team from 2 years ago is collecting dust because it sucks now.

Teams that were once valuable no longer are, and sometimes the value changes before you ever get to even use them. It’s best to accept that now, it’s never going to change.
  • States,
    Level up your Green, Blue or Purple mods if you want to take advantage of how revealed substats are currently leveled into prior to the upcoming change.”

How??

If you have a green mod with speed secondary (or any secondary you want upgraded), level it up to at least level 3 now to get that guaranteed upgrade. Once this update hits the stat that is showing might now upgrade.
  • CG_SBCrumb wrote: »
    This past week we concluded the second round of internal testing of our upcoming mods changes, have reviewed a number of points of feedback and are making changes thanks to our beta players. Earlier this year we added a number of new guilds to the beta program and are continuing to introduce more players and guilds to make sure we have lots of well-rounded feedback from the community. We have also just started using a smaller group of players to provide feedback on every build, given that recently we have had an uptick in bugs and issues that have not been received well by the community. All of this is to say, as we move forward, we are creating as many avenues as possible to listen to feedback, especially around changing existing systems like mods, which is why this update has been so long in the making.

As we discussed in the Road Ahead blog post, we have several goals for our next big update for mods: clarity, ease of use, depth, and balance, while simultaneously respecting the investment made so far in existing mods. What follows is an in-depth description of these features, which may be a little lengthy and detailed for some, but we’re hoping will provide clarity to others.

For this particular beta, we are allowing our testers to discuss their experiences testing the new update publicly so you may see some of them discussing upcoming changes on the forums.

Over the next few weeks, we will be doing some videos (for people who prefer to watch than read) about how this will work. Check out this pinned post where we’re going to list new announcements and content related to Mods.

Objective: Clarity These features are intended to make mods easier to understand and use. Currently, many players who would benefit from using mods are not using them, and we’ve heard from the community that one of the major issues is that they’re hard to understand.
    0gx3uewt8i6a.jpg
    • Basic vs Advanced Views: A Basic view of mods has been created to make the introduction to the mods feature more streamlined for novice mods players. In the Basic view players can Auto Assign mods using a mod recommendation system detailed below. Additionally, the mods inventory and stats are not displayed to reduce the amount of information being served to players in Basic view. Advanced view is similar to the current mods view that is live. You can view mods inventory, stats, and manually assign any mods in Advanced view.
      Note: The last view you had selected will be the view loaded when you return to mods.
      tgj6fhe9xrj4.jpg
    • Recommendation System: One of the most difficult aspects of mods is understanding which mods to put on a character. The recommendation system simplifies this by suggesting specific mod(s) from the inventory to assign. The recommendation system identifies the best set, primary stat, and secondary stats for general use of that character. If the player has an available mod that is a “decent” to “perfect fit”, it will be recommended; if not, it will identify where that mod can be found. As this system provides an all-purpose set of recommended mods for general utility, players that are experts at mod optimization will likely continue to select their own mod configurations in Advanced view (especially if the player changes mods based on the game mode).
    • Mod Auto Assign: This is a quick way to assign all the recommended mods for a character. When auto assigning mods, players can choose to have the algorithm not only search your mod inventory but also select mods that are currently assigned to specific characters and gives recommendations based on the best mods a player owns.
    • Mod Energy: Mod Battles and Mod Challenges now have a different energy from Cantina Energy. The purpose of this change is to allow players to do Mod Battles and Mod Challenges more frequently without sacrificing progress in Cantina Battles. Cantina Tokens will be removed as rewards for Mod Battles and Mod Challenges although players will be able to get the same amount of Cantina Tokens using their Cantina Energy in Cantina Battles. Like ship energy, mod energy will not count toward the daily 600 (or else we’d be forced to increase that requirement).

Objective: Ease of Use These features are meant for players that currently engage with mods but would like mod management to be easier.
    • Mod Loadouts: Players can now create, edit and save sets (Loadouts) of mods for re-use across characters. This is a quick way for players to swap mods onto characters for different game modes. To make the process of creating mod loadouts easier, a loadout can be created based on the mods currently assigned to a character.
      2bw6da3p9w33.png
    • Advanced Filters: Players can now filter their mods by a variety of criteria including slot, set, primary stat, and secondary stats. This includes searching for a mod with multiple specific secondaries (ex. Mods that have Speed and Offense). In addition to filtering, you can sort by rarity or any secondary stat to you find that elusive mod even easier

rf8tl19qxxc7.jpg
    • Assign mods already assigned to other characters: One of the new mod inventory filters will display mods that are already assigned to a character and allow moving a mod directly from one character to another.
      d3gb2hluarvu.jpg
    • Toggle Arrows: Players will now be able to cycle through characters on the mod menu by using the toggle arrows on the basic or advanced views. Players no longer need to return to the character select screen to select a new character.
    • Destroy button removed: We have removed the destroy button so players will no longer accidentally destroy mods.
    • Mod Leveling Screen Improvement: Leveling a mod has been improved to allow selecting the desired mod level immediately without needing to tap "Select Level"
      e7lg1m9zf1hn.jpg

Objective: Depth These features are meant for players that would like to continue to make their mods stronger. When designing these features we focused deeply on respecting the investment that current players have already put into their mods.
    • Mod Tier Coloring and Naming: One of the most confusing aspects of mods is just determining which mods are good in the first place. A mod’s Tier (Color) is based on the number of secondary stats when it is acquired. For example a Tier A (Gold) Mod has 4 secondary stats at level 1 where a Tier E (Grey) mod has no secondary stats at level 1. What is confusing is that we currently increase the tier (change the color) when leveling the mod. This results in all level 15 mods being Tier A (Gold) when there is a vast difference in the value of a level 15 mod that started at Tier A (Gold) vs one that started at Tier E (Grey). To better represent the value of the mod, we are no longer increasing the mod’s tier when leveling.
      We’re going to set each mod’s color to the tier of the mod when it was first acquired, however the mod’s stats will remain unchanged. This may be somewhat of a visual shock, but keep in mind that the stats are not changing through this update. We’d also suggest that until these changes go into effect, you may want to avoid mass selling your 5-dot mods, so you can make a more accurate decision about their value.
      2hyt3wumgcy0.jpg
    • Mod Slicing (upgrading Tier): We’re introducing a new feature, Slicing, that allows players to increase a mod’s tier. Slicing can only begin after a mod has been leveled to 15. Similar to crafting gear, Slicing requires new pieces of salvage that can be acquired through Mod Battles. This is a new battle tier (tier 9), so if you haven’t completed your Mod Battles yet, one way you can prepare for this update is to do that now. Once the salvage has been acquired, players then elect to slice the mod which will improve the mod’s Tier, increasing a random secondary stat and changing to the next color. This process can be repeated until the mod is at the max tier of 5A (Gold) which will have roughly similar stats to a natural 5A, but requiring the investment of slicing materials and credits compared to a natural 5A. For example, you can now take a rarity 5E mod (Grey) and increase its stats by slicing it four times to a max tier of 5A (Gold).
      2ggwizihw1yh.jpg
    • Mod Salvage/Recipes: Slicing a mod will require Mod Salvage ingredients. The ingredients required will change depending on the Tier of the mod.
    • Slicing to 6E: The primary reason we introduced Slicing was to find a way to introduce rarity 6 mods while respecting current mod investment. Rarity 6 mods will be acquired through slicing from Rarity 5, Tier A to Rarity 6, Tier E. This process increases all the existing stats on the mod. 6-E will be the highest that a mod can be sliced at this time. See the Balance section for more details.
      ou84w68358tg.jpg
      5A vs 6E Primary Stat Values
      uqkEbwu.png

Objective: Balance Create more diversity in the mod meta by elevating some of the sets and secondary stats that are currently under-utilized. Secondary Stat changes are exclusive to rarity 6 mods.
    • Max Level Set Bonuses: To give value to all mod sets, the set bonuses of under utilized mod sets like Defense have been improved. No sets have been decreased.
      3gcsvp3mqlo7.png
    • Rarity 6 Mods with Secondary Stat Balance: When a mod is sliced from 5A to 6E, all secondary stats will be increased by a multiplier to new 6E values. No secondary stats will get an additional roll at that time.
      axw6ximmeqkm.png

Here’s an example of slicing a Speed Mod:
      ofp9sytkobt9.png
      In the example above, your Flat Health increases from 632 to 796 when you sliced from 5-A to 6-E.

Another important thing to note is that we didn’t change the relative range of possible values for your mods. A mod which has accumulated 30% of the maximum possible value at 5A, will scale to 30% of 6E’s maximum possible range when sliced.
      noru7vtd24fp.png
      In short, top mods will still be awesome after slicing…and your not so great mods, though having higher stats at 6E, may still be candidates to sell.
    Reduce Cost Of Leveling Mods:
    One step we are taking to make Mods more accessible is to reduce the cost of leveling a mod. Particularly before 85, the cost to level a mod deters many players from investing in mods even if it’s the best choice to improve their team’s overall power. This is already live as of July 25th.

Change to Mod Secondaries:
    The addition of Slicing has resulted in us needing to make one change to how Mod secondary stats are earned. As you know, the number of substats on a mod at level 1 is designated by its Tier/Color. So at level 1, mods will look like the following:
    • Tier E (Grey): 0 Secondaries
    • Tier D (Green): 1 Secondary
    • Tier C (Blue): 2 Secondaries
    • Tier B (Purple): 3 Secondaries
    • Tier A (Gold): 4 Secondaries

A secondary stat is then added or increased at level 3, 6, 9, and 12. For Grey Mods this means that a new secondary is added at each of these levels and for gold mods it means that a random secondary is increased at each of these levels. This will not change.

The change we are making is specific to green, blue, and purple mods. In the current system, these mods increase one existing secondary before revealing new ones. For example a green mod will increase its one secondary stat before adding the other 3. This gives the green mod some added value as it guarantees its first secondary to get an increase.

The problem with this approach is that once Slicing is introduced, starting with a green mod that has a speed secondary, leveling it to 15, and then slicing it to gold will give better odds of a high speed mod than starting with a gold mod that has speed as one of its 4 secondaries. The change we are making is to always add secondary stats (up to 4) before increasing a secondary. This will ensure that starting with a green mod gives the same odds as starting with a gold mod, it will just take resources (ex. mod salvage) when starting at green due to the slicing materials that need to be acquired.

There are still several weeks until we will be making this change. We implemented the lower mod leveling costs to give players time to upgrade their existing green, blue, and purple mods at a reduced cost prior to the change, so make sure to take advantage of the old system with solid green, blue and purple mods before this update happens. Particularly those green mods with a speed secondary!

Another step toward making mods more accessible is making it easier to acquire mods. We have taken steps in the past to do this such as moving to a 100% drop rate on Mod Challenges and are now going to take another step in accessibility by removing the specific character requirements on Mod Challenges. While we recognize the investment many elder players have put into these characters, a combination of data and player feedback is showing that a major reason why players are not engaging with mods is that they don’t meet the character requirements to do the challenges for more desirable mod types, such as Critical Damage. For a player getting started on Mods, there is a large barrier to entry of getting the required characters, even before beginning the search for a set of “perfect mods”. This results in new players having to make a hard choice between investing in the characters that best help their guild, such as characters needed for Raids/Territory Battles/Territory Wars/Legendary Events or to invest in characters for Mod Challenges (like Jawas). We believe that the sooner a player starts engaging with mods the sooner they can start making meaningful contributions to their Guild and this change will enable those contributions.

• Complete Mod Battles in preparation for tier 9.
    • Level up your Green, Blue or Purple mods if you want to take advantage of how revealed substats are currently leveled into prior to the upcoming change.
    • Hold off on selling lower level mods until slicing is available.

Original Post (LINK)

Man, you need a Doctorate to understand all of that!
  • The energy change is not so much about not having anything to farm in cantina or the cantina tokens, though that is a minor issue. It’s about the DAILY TICKETS. Many people, myself included, do three cantina refreshes a day to farm mods currently. This also earns us 360 guild tickets. With this change many people will have no reason to refresh cantina. They will refresh mods or even possibly ships instead (though mostly mods), meaning it’s going to make it harder to get 600 tickets.

I see where cg is going with this. They want people to refresh cantina AND mods, thereby spending more crystals and making them more money. I understand the need to introduce new income sources, and I don’t begrudge that, just don’t do it with something that involves daily tickets. There is a reason that most guilds make 600 mandatory.

There are many solutions to this, but one I think would work is to let mod energy earn tickets, but simply set a cap on how many it can earn. Like your first 120 mod energy a day earns guild tickets, but any energy after that doesn’t. You could also let mod energy earn tickets, but at a reduced rate. For example if cantina energy earns tickets at a ratio of 1:1, make mod energy earn tickets at a ratio of .5:1 or .25:1.

The best solution I can think of though is to simply lower cantina to .5:1 and make mods .5:1 as well. People can earn the same amount of tickets they are now. This doesn’t impact the 600 at all. So for every point of cantina energy you spen, you earn half a ticket and for every point of mod energy you spend you earn half a ticket. @CG_SBCrumb is this something you’d consider?
  • Ikky2win wrote: »
    The energy change is not so much about not having anything to farm in cantina or the cantina tokens, though that is a minor issue. It’s about the DAILY TICKETS. Many people, myself included, do three cantina refreshes a day to farm mods currently. This also earns us 360 guild tickets. With this change many people will have no reason to refresh cantina. They will refresh mods or even possibly ships instead (though mostly mods), meaning it’s going to make it harder to get 600 tickets.

I see where cg is going with this. They want people to refresh cantina AND mods, thereby spending more crystals and making them more money. I understand the need to introduce new income sources, and I don’t begrudge that, just don’t do it with something that involves daily tickets. There is a reason that most guilds make 600 mandatory.

There are many solutions to this, but one I think would work is to let mod energy earn tickets, but simply set a cap on how many it can earn. Like your first 120 mod energy a day earns guild tickets, but any energy after that doesn’t. You could also let mod energy earn tickets, but at a reduced rate. For example if cantina energy earns tickets at a ratio of 1:1, make mod energy earn tickets at a ratio of .5:1 or .25:1.

The best solution I can think of though is to simply lower cantina to .5:1 and make mods .5:1 as well. People can earn the same amount of tickets they are now. This doesn’t impact the 600 at all. So for every point of cantina energy you spen, you earn half a ticket and for every point of mod energy you spend you earn half a ticket. @CG_SBCrumb is this something you’d consider?

I dont see this as a problem at all. With the free bonus energy you get 540 energy daily (normal+cantina) without refreshing. Spend 50 chrystals on a normal energy refresh (to farm gear or a hard node toon) and you hit your 600 easily. Just means you need to make a different choice here on where to spend chrystals for which energy you refresh. It by all means doesnt make hitting 600 more difficult.

I always disliked that mod farming and cantina nodes had the same energy so you couldnt farm mods and toons at the same time. So I welcome this change.
  • CG_SBCrumb wrote: »
    Another step toward making mods more accessible is making it easier to acquire mods. We have taken steps in the past to do this such as moving to a 100% drop rate on Mod Challenges and are now going to take another step in accessibility by removing the specific character requirements on Mod Challenges. While we recognize the investment many elder players have put into these characters, a combination of data and player feedback is showing that a major reason why players are not engaging with mods is that they don’t meet the character requirements to do the challenges for more desirable mod types, such as Critical Damage. For a player getting started on Mods, there is a large barrier to entry of getting the required characters, even before beginning the search for a set of “perfect mods”. This results in new players having to make a hard choice between investing in the characters that best help their guild, such as characters needed for Raids/Territory Battles/Territory Wars/Legendary Events or to invest in characters for Mod Challenges (like Jawas). We believe that the sooner a player starts engaging with mods the sooner they can start making meaningful contributions to their Guild and this change will enable those contributions.

Original Post (LINK)

Pretty good. Looking forward to this, especially mod loadouts... that will really leverage the value of better mods when it's more convenient to move them around as needed without spending a ton of time researching which mods have to go to which characters for which game modes, and then try to move them back for other stuff.

My only complaint thus far is the above mentioned removal of factions as requirements. I get the function and purpose, and agree completely even though I finished maxing out all the necessary characters for those some time ago. I'm not bitter about new players having it easier just because I had to do it the hard way. *But* it does feel like it loses some of the flavor it had before. I wish we could have a (small) chance to drop bonus mods when using factions/characters associated with certain mods. Something like that would even allow factions that weren't used in the original mod design to get in on the action. Maybe something for the future, perhaps going along with new types of mods being introduced?

• @Devs.
    One request to consider is to consider increasing the number of mods available in inventory. 1000 is not enough given how long mods have been out, and how we will now be farming new mods with the new mod energy.

Thank you for your consideration of this.
  • Sewpot
    2010 posts Member
    I would gladly farm a newly made 6 dot mod. Put it in the mod battle table that is collecting dust.
    Slowly phase out all my 5’s for 6’s as I collect them like I’ve done this entire time with Lower mods.
    Didn’t need all this unbelievable extra work. RNG on mods already is horrible. Still gonna get a 3dot when farming for a 5.
    New currency and another RNG dependant material. Yaaaa
  • Vendea
    39 posts Member
    Ikky2win wrote: »
    While changing mods to be a separate energy might seem like a good idea at first glance, I actually think it's going to be a huge problem, especially for older players. Many older players have all the cantina characters, so they farm mods and use refreshes to mod challenges. This earns tickets for the guild. With this new mod system, the mod fights are going to use a separate energy which will NOT count towards the 600 daily tickets. So: 1) New energy doesn't count towards 600 tickets, 2) Some people who were refreshing cantina energy to do mod fights no longer will because there is nothing for them on the cantina table 3) Getting 600 tickets just became that much more difficult.

I guess we have to wait to see how it plays out, but this is not good for guilds. Not good at all. @CG_SBCrumb one solution to this might be to only let the first refresh of mod and/or ship energy count towards the daily tickets. Your first refresh earns you tickets, subsequent ones don't.

But you still get gear and shard shop currency from cantina nodes even if you have all those characters at 7*. I don't see why picking a node with gear you need and just spending all the cantina energy in one fell swoop each day wouldn't solve this problem. And sure, you might fall short of 600 tickets by a few, but you'd still be well above 500 tix every day.