What is your gaming lineage?

Prev1
DuneSeaFarmer
3525 posts Member
edited August 2018
Mine started with Text Adventures, Zork, Leather Goddess of Phobos, Hitchhikers Guide to the galaxy. Then onto Graphic Adventures from Sierra, Kings Quest, Liesure Suit Larry, Space Quest. Then SSI games (D&D types) on to RPG's (Dragon Age etc) then finally MMO's - SWG, Gw1, Lotro, SWTOR, Gw2. I have left out a lot but you get the idea. What's your gaming lineage?

Computer/Console Lineage: Pong, TI-99-4A, Commodore Vic 20, Atari 2600, Tandy 1000 - 8088, 80286, 80386, 80486, P1 - P4, Intel ever since.
Post edited by DuneSeaFarmer on

Replies

• Hellsteeth30
    832 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    Atari 2600 - used to play asteroids and centipede a LOT.

Then it was onto the glorious Sega Master System. i never actually owned the Mega Drive/Genesis.

After that it was the Amiga, on which I really got into the Monkey Island games and subsequently every point & click I could find.

Sony Playstation after that along with the PS 2 afterwards, this the age I really miss.

i was also part of the PC master race during the Playstation era, also where I discovered I love my RPGs. Such as the oldschool Bioware games (long before EA ate them), Planescape Torment, Baldur's Gate etc. Along with the old SSI stuff, Eye of the Beholder etc.

Then the Xbroke 360 came along, though mercifully I only had the two crap out on me. Still have the last one now. Just came out the military at that point so needed something to do.

Turns out I despise modern gaming, so I sold the PS4 and Xbone nearly as fast as I bought them.

Nowadays I play a few mobile games and effectively nothing after 2012/2013 on this here laptop. Last new game I bought was MGS V on 360. Emulate some stuff as well. Played SWTOR too and still very occasionally Star Trek Online but those are horrendous grind fests much like this game is, but you have to spend more time on them so I lost interest.

Never actually played any text based adventure stuff though in my illustrious time wasting history.

EDIT: I neglected to mention I also owned every iteration of Gameboy up to but not including the 3DS, due to me being garbage at platformers I only ever played Super Marioland and Warioland as my only Mario games ever. Obviously played Pokemon to death and Zelda.

Post edited by Hellsteeth30 on
    Hey, it's still better than MSF
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Mario Kart/Super Smash 64, Mario Kart Double Dash Gamecube, Pokemon on DS Lite, Skyrim for xbox 360, KOTOR on my laptop, back to Skyrim for 360

(And some things in between)
  • That'll keep me busy for a bit while I figure out the syntax etc.

Be just like using DOS again!
  • You were eaten by a lurking grue.
    Never figured out that game.
  • You were eaten by a lurking grue.
    Never figured out that game.

Open door.
    What door?
    The door to the north
    The door is now open

Lol
  • Text games. DnD. Atari. OG Nintendo. PS1. PS2. Then back to text MUD. Xbox. Xbox 360. Then mobile.
  • Snake2
    1455 posts Member
    My lineage is quite lengthy. I'll try to keep it brief. Sort of chronological.

Atari 2600: pitfall, star wars, tanks? Various others.

Master system: outrun. Some space platformer. Wrestling. Basketball. Spy Hunter?

Genesis: sonic 1-knuckles. Nba jam. Thunder strike. Super baseball 2020. Street fighter 2.

Game boy: pokemon blue.

Ps1: Basically every game that was worth anything. I earned money cleaning the house, had nothing else I wanted so I bought a ton of games. Metal gear and final fantasy obvious highlights.

N64: all the best Nintendo games.

Pc: civilization. Wing commander. Worms 2 (or 3?). Rainbow 6 (first online game). Half life-tfc-cs. Starcraft, warcraft. EQ, WoW. HL2. Fallout 1-2 (yeah I played the new ones too), dota (wc3). not going to list new games as that's boring.

GameCube: same as n64

Ps2: all the good stuff. I'll mention suikoden 3 just because.

Wii, wii u, switch: same as gc.

Ps3-ps4. Spending tapered off here. Tried to hit the highlights.

I played the key Xbox games at friends, and caught up on the good nes games later. Played a ton of dream cast at a friend's. Some Saturn, jaguar.

If it's decent I've probably played it or know all about it.
  • Yerff_Caasi
    736 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    This is the first and only game I’ve ever played. And no, I’m not 6.
    "Don't take yourself so serious; it's a game, have fun!" • https://swgoh.gg/u/yerffcaasi/
  • This is the first and only game I’ve ever played. And no, I’m not 6.

Everyone started somewhere :D
  • I've been pretty purist in my interests: must be Star Wars or have elves.

PC: Warcraft II, TIE Fighter, Shadows of the Empire, Rogue Squadron, Phantom Menace (SO MANY HOURS WASTED JUMPING AROUND ON FLOATING RINGS), Warcraft III, DOTA. And I guess there was some Roller Coaster Tycoon thrown in there somewhere. And now KOTOR, because I missed that somewhere along the way.

XBox: some DS/LS RPG thing that was definitely NOT KOTOR but I don't remember what it was, the LOTR series... and Forza, because my boyfriend liked fast cars.

PS-something-or-other-my-friend-had-in-college: Legend of Zelda, Super Smash Bros

Mobile: a couple of time-wasters, a couple of city-building games, and now this.
  • Started on the Atari 2600 myself. Asteroids was the game of choice. Star Raiders was good back in the day as well.

After the 2600 moved onto the Commodore Pet and then the Commodore 64. (We didn't have a Nintendo).

Next big game system was Sega Genesis. Would rent games from the local video store to save cash (also to test out which games were worth buying).

After that, took the XBox route. Though if I had a time machine I'd go back and go Playstation instead. Too many updates and the like.

Loved PC games. Played KOTOR and KOTOR 2. Though I wasn't too fond of KOTOR 2. Always felt to me like they looked at the complaints/issues from the first game and tried to make EVERYBODY happy instead of making a good game. KOTOR 2 also felt unfinished to me. However, having said that I "did" enjoy playing it. Just wished it was a little... more.
    Ally Code: 492-568-655
    The Hairless Wookies (A casual guild)
  • JebediahSloth
    4 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    PC: Warcraft II, TIE Fighter, Shadows of the Empire, ...

How could I have forgotten TIE Fighter and Shadows of the Empire?... Classics. Should check on Gog to see if they have a copy of TIE Fighter :)

Ally Code: 492-568-655
    The Hairless Wookies (A casual guild)
  • Hellsteeth30
    832 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    GoG does indeed have all the TIE games. X-wing vs. TIE fighter is a classic.

I'd get them but I keep neglecting to buy a joystick, which you need. Won't work with a controller unless you have a lot of patience with xpadder or something.

Only played Shadows a few times but it and I did not get along.

PC: Warcraft II, TIE Fighter, Shadows of the Empire, Rogue Squadron, Phantom Menace (SO MANY HOURS WASTED JUMPING AROUND ON FLOATING RINGS), Warcraft III, DOTA. And I guess there was some Roller Coaster Tycoon thrown in there somewhere. And now KOTOR, because I missed that somewhere along the way.

XBox: some DS/LS RPG thing that was definitely NOT KOTOR but I don't remember what it was, the LOTR series... and Forza, because my boyfriend liked fast cars.

PS-something-or-other-my-friend-had-in-college: Legend of Zelda, Super Smash Bros

Mobile: a couple of time-wasters, a couple of city-building games, and now this.

Oh man, Phantom Menace. I was stuck jumping from one platform to another. Finally I caved and called support. The woman there was very helpful, and offered to send me a save file just past that point. I was thrilled. Later when watching a SW movie I saw her name in the credits.. blew me away. Those were the days :)
  • I actually tried Phantom Menace via emulator, didn't make it very far. Sounds like that platforming bit would have sent me into a rage spiral.

I also recall the game hint/phone support things to. Dial-a-cheat was all the rage alongside the magazines.

Still have some old Amiga mags lying around, nice to look back at what was a promising and blooming industry. Before stuff happened.....I hate stuff, it ruins everything.
  • SteelOU812
    7 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    Colecovision, Atari 2600 - Combat, Asteroids, Defender, Kaboom, Chopper Command, Missile Command, and numerous others. Nintendo - Contra, Shadowgate, Golgo 13, Tecmo Bowl, Mario of course. Sega Genesis, Short lived, nothing stands out. Super Nintendo - Turn and Burn, Ken Griffey JR Baseball, others. Sega Saturn - Sega Rally Championship, Firestorm, PlayStation - X Com, Mortal Kombat, Killer Instinct, PS2 nothing memorable, Nintendo 64 Goldeneye 007, Xbox 360, Call of Duty, Marvel Alliance, Turok, ****-Butcher Bay, PS4 - Witcher 3, GTA V, Madden, NBA2k, Destiny, Shadows of Mordor, AC Origins, Farley 5, and soon Anthem. PC - Leisure Suit Larry, Mechwarrior, Everquest, Earth and Beyond, City of Heroes, World of Warcraft, Star Trek Online, Both Kotors, SWTOR, World of Tanks and Warships. Mobile - Last World War Z, and now this. Wish I had all the time and money I’ve spent but gaming has always kept me out of trouble.
  • This is the first and only game I’ve ever played. And no, I’m not 6.

Same, except I’ve played a couple other mobile games like angry birds and stuff.
  • I actually tried Phantom Menace via emulator, didn't make it very far. Sounds like that platforming bit would have sent me into a rage spiral.

I also recall the game hint/phone support things to. Dial-a-cheat was all the rage alongside the magazines.

Still have some old Amiga mags lying around, nice to look back at what was a promising and blooming industry. Before stuff happened.....I hate stuff, it ruins everything.

My dream used to be owning an Amiga and Video Toaster.. I'd probably still be making stuff for my own enjoyment lol
  • Huatimus
    3669 posts Member
    Do card games or board games count?
    If it's only electronic, then I spent a lot of time in MUD(Multi User Dungeon), then subsequently the most time in WOW.
  • Poxx
    2288 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    Atari 2600, Colecovision. Intellivision, the Ultima series, Dark Age of Camelot, ShadowBane, WoW, Warhammer Online, SWGoH
  • Huatimus wrote: »
    Do card games or board games count?
    If it's only electronic, then I spent a lot of time in MUD(Multi User Dungeon), then subsequently the most time in WOW.

Dungeon crawls.. good times :)

My dream used to be owning an Amiga and Video Toaster.. I'd probably still be making stuff for my own enjoyment lol

I have 6 knocking around, even an old speaker setup and CRT monitor. You can feel the radiation melting your eyes off it still.

I have an OG 500, a 500+, two Amiga 600s and two 1200s.

I have a Pong machine as well.

I have 6 knocking around, even an old speaker setup and CRT monitor. You can feel the radiation melting your eyes off it still.

I have an OG 500, a 500+, two Amiga 600s and two 1200s.

I have a Pong machine as well.

I always gifted, traded or sold my old equipment. Wish I hadn't.
  • I did that with my older consoles. I also wish I hadn't.

Something about sprites adds to games for me. Emulating just isn't quite the same.

Oh man, Phantom Menace. I was stuck jumping from one platform to another. Finally I caved and called support. The woman there was very helpful, and offered to send me a save file just past that point. I was thrilled. Later when watching a SW movie I saw her name in the credits.. blew me away. Those were the days :)

Oh wow, that's awesome! I just found a walkthrough. There was one jump that was still pretty tricky and you had to get it perfect or Obi-Wan would fall into the abyss... Definitely when I learned just how important "Save Game" was.
  • Mine started with Text Adventures, Zork, Leather Goddess of Phobos, Hitchhikers Guide to the galaxy. Then onto Graphic Adventures from Sierra, Kings Quest, Liesure Suit Larry, Space Quest. Then SSI games (D&D types) on to RPG's (Dragon Age etc) then finally MMO's - SWG, Gw1, Lotro, SWTOR, Gw2. I have left out a lot but you get the idea. What's your gaming lineage?

Computer/Console Lineage: Pong, TI-99-4A, Commodore Vic 20, Atari 2600, Tandy 1000 - 8088, 80286, 80386, 80486, P1 - P4, Intel ever since.

SPACE QUEST!!!!! I'd forgotten all about the adventures of Roger Wilco. Such an amazing game :) In answer to your question; that was probably where I started playing Space quest on my Dad's PC. I still mainly play RPG's on console these days but most of my gaming time actually goes on tabletop games like X-Wing miniatures these days.
  • poodletron wrote: »
    Mine started with Text Adventures, Zork, Leather Goddess of Phobos, Hitchhikers Guide to the galaxy. Then onto Graphic Adventures from Sierra, Kings Quest, Liesure Suit Larry, Space Quest. Then SSI games (D&D types) on to RPG's (Dragon Age etc) then finally MMO's - SWG, Gw1, Lotro, SWTOR, Gw2. I have left out a lot but you get the idea. What's your gaming lineage?

SPACE QUEST!!!!! I'd forgotten all about the adventures of Roger Wilco. Such an amazing game :) In answer to your question; that was probably where I started playing Space quest on my Dad's PC. I still mainly play RPG's on console these days but most of my gaming time actually goes on tabletop games like X-Wing miniatures these days.

In one of the SQ games there is a huge spider chasing you. We were supposed to roll the rock down the slope below a rock bridge to kill it. I moved it to the center of the bridge and pushed it off, and killed it. A message came across the screen saying "Wow, you did something we didn't think anyone would do. Extra points etc.." :D

• Another great story was in "Might & Magic 4: Clouds of Xeen". I found a doorway and went up inside a building into the clouds and walked all over, after a few days I called support and the CSR asked "Wait, you're where?" I explained and it turned out it was an area they abandoned and thought it was blocked off :) I make a good tester, and have closed beta tested software, reported etc.. Love it lol