Discord Sets Sights on Steam, Adds Free Games, Launches Online Store

"Discord, the online chat and video service used by 150 million gamers, drops into the video game sales business Thursday with the launch of a beta program that includes both free games for paid membership and a more traditional digital retail store.
The company is also adding a new universal game-launching tab, which can launch any game on a user’s computer from Discord without having to search for the game or its own launching program...."

https://variety.com/2018/gaming/news/discord-game-store-free-games-1202900484/

Replies

• Best of luck to them. It'll be an uphill climb with Steam and GOG going strong.

I don't much care for discord myself.
    Hey, it's still better than MSF
  • Best of luck to them. It'll be an uphill climb with Steam and GOG going strong.

I don't much care for discord myself.

I'm surprised someone hasn't bought them. Perhaps the new additions will attract someone like Microsoft.
  • Plat
    1 posts Member
    My guess is that is what they are going for. To try and make them selves appear more enticing for someone to buy them.
  • Hell MS paid 7.5 billion for github.
  • Hadn't considered the "buy me" angle.

Hopefully EA doesn't eat it, mind you they have Origin already. That terrible thing that isn't steam or GoG.

Mind you GOG is really trying to push it's own client lately. They've started hiding the regular download option.
    Hey, it's still better than MSF