A funny fact about the word "Nerf"

Skye
795 posts Member
edited December 2015
"nerf" is one word I hated from the very early days of Everquest. not because of what it means in the gaming community, I just never liked the word and think it is silly as "Cowabunga", and utterly made up word for no real purpose when there already words that mean the same thing. However that is language evolution for you..

Anyhow, I remember pointing this out a long long time ago elsewhere... The first time people may have heard the word was when Empire strikes back hit the big screen.... Yes... you remember the scene, just before Leia kisses Luke, Leia accuses Han Solo of being a "scruffy looking Nerf herder"

Yep... blooming "nerf herders"! :D

There is also the toy NERF, a trademarked toy by Hasbro... apparently the NERF foam has been around since 1969, so the toy has been present even prior to the first Star Wars film in 1977

Former crazy person of the guild "Shard Awakens"... *quit game 13th July 2016*

Game used to be fun when it wasn't a grind... if I wanted a grind I would have went and played old school Everquest or some Korean MMO!

Replies

• Yes well when applied to gaming, it's the analogy with the foam toys that gave it the name, it's not really just "made up".
    Ally Code: 945-699-762
  • We really need an O.T. Part of the forum because this pertains to the game in no way other than letting people know you have been a " gamer" since the Everquest days.

The ironic thing is that the "gamers" that remember those days would laugh at Everquest being "gaming".

"I remember" is analogous to "get off my lawn". :/

Cowabunga, and don't have a cow dude.
  • Growing up when a Friend got a Nerf football the rest of would laugh because it meant their mother afraid they would get hurt with a real one. I have always thought that to nerf something was to make it so no one would get hurt.
  • Jabberwocky
    1809 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    I asked my parents for a purple nerf football in 1976 when I had my tonsils out, great fun until it blew into the pool one day, I didn't notice until the next day, and the chlorine basically disintegrated it. Lol

As for Old Timers, my first console was pong and I remember the first arcade video game ever, Space Invaders in 1978 when you had to leave the house and go somewhere with a pocket full of quarters to play a video game.

After pong, I got a Coleco vision console, decent unit but the library was limited by the short lifespan of the platform.

Edit: For the record, pinball still rules.
  • Intellivison Rules!
  • BentWookie wrote: »
    Intellivison Rules!

My friend had one, they weren't bad. The Atari 2600 was junk.
    Early C64 games were pretty good too.
  • Skye
    795 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    BentWookie wrote: »
    Intellivison Rules!

My friend had one, they weren't bad. The Atari 2600 was junk.
    Early C64 games were pretty good too.

Now you are making me feel real old :p I still remember those early Nintendo handheld games.. Donkey Kong and a few others, they had the really old black LCD
    Former crazy person of the guild "Shard Awakens"... *quit game 13th July 2016*

Game used to be fun when it wasn't a grind... if I wanted a grind I would have went and played old school Everquest or some Korean MMO!
  • I asked my parents for a purple nerf football in 1976 when I had my tonsils out, great fun until it blew into the pool one day, I didn't notice until the next day, and the chlorine basically disintegrated it. Lol

As for Old Timers, my first console was pong and I remember the first arcade video game ever, Space Invaders in 1978 when you had to leave the house and go somewhere with a pocket full of quarters to play a video game.

After pong, I got a Coleco vision console, decent unit but the library was limited by the short lifespan of the platform.

Edit: For the record, pinball still rules.

Ah coleco vision those were good times. Loved Mr.do
  • M.U.L.E.
  • BentWookie wrote: »
    M.U.L.E.

OMG, I can't believe there's another person in the world who remembers that game!