HalfFace01 Dev Interview - Mod Loadout and Filters

Prev1
CG_SBCrumb
685 posts EA Community Manager
edited August 2018
Want to know more about the upcoming Mod Loadouts and Filters? Watch HalfFace01 interview with a couple of our devs on just that topic!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44sBOBHYLVk&feature=youtu.be

Short summary of interview with timestamps:
  1. Intro with developers - 0:00
  2. Can you talk more about how mod loadouts work in detail? - 0:52
    Essentially they consist of six mods that are on one character that can be saved and moved around easily all together
  3. Why are they called mod loadouts now when they were called mod sets on the forums? - 3:58
    We wanted to give a different name to this mechanic as the term sets were already in use in other uses for mods
  4. Any other filters added to these mod additions? 5:11
    Filtering stats, speed order, etc. is coming similar to swgoh.gg filtering.
  5. Side question: Will this feature replace swgoh.gg??? - 7:26
    We don't think it will, but it will be a nice additions so players don't rely on .gg all the time.
  6. How will speed be addressed not to be used as the primary stat everyone wants in the future? - 8:23
    As of now we tried to make other stats more viable that players would want to look for those other stats way more than in the past. We think speed will still play a good part in the community wanting that particular stat on their mods however.

Replies

• Mod changes are interesting but I'd prefer commentary on the sith raid rewards.
  • About time there was a rough transcript with a video. Cheers.
  • Stud3099 wrote: »
    Mod changes are interesting but I'd prefer commentary on the sith raid rewards.

@CG_SBCrumb I think this comment is meant for you :)
  • Madpup
    279 posts Member
    Stud3099 wrote: »
    Mod changes are interesting but I'd prefer commentary on the sith raid rewards.

I agree. It's months past due for someone from CG to come forth with a soultipn to this issue.

Also thank you CG for having those asnwering question on good quality mics. The previous interview was aweful and confusing the listen to.
  • Or shipsminus2.
  • happy_guy193
    39 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    It would be great if warrior could get one of these videos. Unless the questions are scripted by the devs.

Also it would be great to get some of this content to Youtubers who have some charisma and can help spread some enthusiasm.
  • About time there was a rough transcript with a video. Cheers.

Absolutely!
  • Ultra
    11449 posts Moderator
    It would be really nice if all the game changers could unite and repeatedly asked the devs about Sith raid rewards for 20 minutes on their audio interviews.
  • anyone know when this will be released?
  • Madpup
    279 posts Member
    Ultra wrote: »
    It would be really nice if all the game changers could unite and repeatedly asked the devs about Sith raid rewards for 20 minutes on their audio interviews.

The game changers are so far past tiers 1-6 that they don't care. Anything that doesn't directly effect them comes across as senseless complaining. If it was something they cared about they would have said something by now.
  • Soz58
    108 posts Member
    The answer for when is always “Soon”
  • Cool. Now do the outstanding questions you’ve been ignoring.
  • DarthLBC
    34 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    In the new system - What happens when players try to move a 6 set of mods with 999 mods in Inventory?

Example I have 999/1000 or 499/500 Mod Inventory, so I have space for 1 mod. Then I want to move my Speed Set from EP to Rey. Currently I can only preview 1 mod at a time (because I'm 1 mod away from the cap causing me to have to move 1 at a time). I can't just put all 6 mods on Rey to see what Rey's new stats are.
    Go test it if you don't believe me. I have spoken to support and the only work around is --

THE SOLUTION IS SELL 5 MODS TO MAKE ROOM ALLOWING PREVIEW OF ALL 6 MODS ON REY
    .^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS IS HOW THE GAME WORKS CURRENTLY ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

When they release the new mod management system - what 5 mods will be sold to make room?

Or will we not be allowed to move a whole set if we are within 6 mods of having a full mod inventory?

My concern is that players will be forced over the mod cap temporarily when moving a mod set while near max mod inventory. This over the cap could destroy a players mods, potentially their best mods will be destroyed ---- if not the 5 mods from the set that players are moving then maybe 5 mods from players inventory are destroyed. Something has to be sold to make the action happen all at once. The game will not let players move 6 mods at once if you have LESS THAN 6 SPACES IN INVENTORY. We can not even preview equipping 6 new mods when we are within 6 of the cap.

Everything is all good until mods start disappearing because this new process hasn't been tested on accounts that are near maximum mod inventory. @CG_TopHat @CG_Carrie
  • jkray622
    1636 posts Member
    Leytuhas wrote: »
    It would be great if warrior could get one of these videos. Unless the questions are scripted by the devs.

Also it would be great to get some of this content to Youtubers who have some charisma and can help spread some enthusiasm.

These questions are very obviously all scripted or at the very least approved prior to the interview. You won't see any of these interviews where the devs come out looking like fools or out of touch.

The interviewer's first question...had already been answered. He obviously was more reading from the script rather than paying attention to what the devs were saying. :/
  • Nice interview ! I'm happy that developers are working on the game to make it better. I just hope they didn't forget the players who lost a lot of good secondary stats on mods like... (almost 20 speed on my best setups of mods)
  • And nothing on STR, rewards for either t1-t6 OR the top 10 only in hSTR, or the nerf bat brought to NS instead of fixing said STR. Nothing about nerfs from Ships 2.0, nothing about the lack of information on any of this. nothing on the many bugs that keep getting introduced. Nothing about this game being a dumpster fire for almost a year now.
    ?????
    Nope, I guess carry on like normal then.
    #AcolyteShootsTwice
  • Leytuhas wrote: »

These questions are very obviously all scripted or at the very least approved prior to the interview. You won't see any of these interviews where the devs come out looking like fools or out of touch.

This one in particular was awful. The devs don't come off credible in these interviews.
  • No new info really. What I want to know is cost. Is it still going to cost the same to move mods?
  • Ikky2win wrote: »
    No new info really. What I want to know is cost. Is it still going to cost the same to move mods?

I've been saying this from the moment they announced it. All test accounts have 100s of million of credits, including the video above. If the cost to move mods around isn't significantly reduced, I doubt many more people will "engage" with them any more often. Most players won't be able to afford it.
  • Zanads wrote: »
    Ikky2win wrote: »
    No new info really. What I want to know is cost. Is it still going to cost the same to move mods?

I've been saying this from the moment they announced it. All test accounts have 100s of million of credits, including the video above. If the cost to move mods around isn't significantly reduced, I doubt many more people will "engage" with them any more often. Most players won't be able to afford it.

How much would the transfer of 6 pieces cost at the current rate?
  • Ploosh
    565 posts Member
    Zanads wrote: »

There was a screenshot where it showed them moving an entire set of 6 mods to another toon for about 5,000. Obviously it could have been a misleading screen shot, or they could just change it, but I'm hopeful that it is about to be significantly reduced. Even if not tho, it rarely is an issue for long time players. Only for players who aren't to lvl 85, or have only been lvl 85 for a few months.
  • Some idea as to when it will be released An answer from CG would be appreciated
  • Ploosh wrote: »

There was a screenshot where it showed them moving an entire set of 6 mods to another toon for about 5,000. Obviously it could have been a misleading screen shot, or they could just change it, but I'm hopeful that it is about to be significantly reduced. Even if not tho, it rarely is an issue for long time players. Only for players who aren't to lvl 85, or have only been lvl 85 for a few months.

That's the current rate for removing or adding ~1 mod. That's 1 mod into a blank slot, or one mod out of an occupied slot. x2 to actually do a swap (i.e., remove old, and replace) 10K per mod. x6 for the whole set, 60K per character. x5 for a squad, 300K. x2 to put everything back where you had it (presumably for a reason) 600K.

I'm fairly established. If I needed to swap out mods for a team that I wasn't planning to keep on that team permanently, 600K is not a small ding to my typical credit balance.
    Ploosh wrote: »

That's the current rate for removing or adding ~1 mod. That's 1 mod into a blank slot, or one mod out of an occupied slot. x2 to actually do a swap (i.e., remove old, and replace) 10K per mod. x6 for the whole set, 60K per character. x5 for a squad, 300K. x2 to put everything back where you had it (presumably for a reason) 600K.

I'm fairly established. If I needed to swap out mods for a team that I wasn't planning to keep on that team permanently, 600K is not a small ding to my typical credit balance.

Thanks for showing it in a clear way.
    I agree with you, 600k is way too much to do for certain recurring things (e. G. Raids, tb..), so if the prices remain, it will only ever be useful for events. Im fine to pay 600k every 6 months for a legendary.

How much would the transfer of 6 pieces cost at the current rate?

To remove only is 28,500. To remove and replace would be 57,000.
    To do this for a whole team for a raid phase is 57000x 5 is 285k...yikes
  • Ploosh
    565 posts Member

Yeah, that is way too much for a very routine function. However, if you're doing that all the time, you gotta strategize better. I move mods a lot, but rarely ever a full team, and never a full double team, like you're describing. For example, for Sith raid, p1 I leave SRey and RTs on 24/7, then I just slide arena mods onto R2, BB8 and JTR, who were left unmodded between sith raids. So it costs ~170k to be able to to score 10%+ on p1.

Then p2 I typically just move for key characters, such as Leia for a machine gun Leia team. So 55k for that team. And my Jedi put up 4-6% without moving any mods (cuz they're my arena team as I'm halfway to Traya unlock.).

Then p3, I never move DT and Solo cuz speeds are so important. Pao keeps his basic mods, and CLS keeps his +90 set always. Chirrut is the only one I move, so I can get 130+ on him so he goes before Traya, so costs me 55k for that.

etc etc etc.

Regardles, it needs to be cheaper to move mods, but there are a lot of ways to still be able to move key mods and put up basically the same score as if you moved your whole arena team mods. Assuming you've been playing the game for 1+ years or so. I'm at about 20 months of playing, and only ever farmed speed mods for a couple weeks way back when, and it's pretty easy to have a nice collection. And totally FTP. And take top 3 everytime in my guilds heroic sith raids.
  • Ploosh wrote: »

Yeah, that is way too much for a very routine function. However, if you're doing that all the time, you gotta strategize better. I move mods a lot, but rarely ever a full team, and never a full double team, like you're describing. For example, for Sith raid, p1 I leave SRey and RTs on 24/7, then I just slide arena mods onto R2, BB8 and JTR, who were left unmodded between sith raids. So it costs ~170k to be able to to score 10%+ on p1.

Then p2 I typically just move for key characters, such as Leia for a machine gun Leia team. So 55k for that team. And my Jedi put up 4-6% without moving any mods (cuz they're my arena team as I'm halfway to Traya unlock.).

Then p3, I never move DT and Solo cuz speeds are so important. Pao keeps his basic mods, and CLS keeps his +90 set always. Chirrut is the only one I move, so I can get 130+ on him so he goes before Traya, so costs me 55k for that.

etc etc etc.

Regardles, it needs to be cheaper to move mods, but there are a lot of ways to still be able to move key mods and put up basically the same score as if you moved your whole arena team mods. Assuming you've been playing the game for 1+ years or so. I'm at about 20 months of playing, and only ever farmed speed mods for a couple weeks way back when, and it's pretty easy to have a nice collection. And totally FTP. And take top 3 everytime in my guilds heroic sith raids.

Totally agree, and I'm in the same boat with you, minus being in an HSTR guild. However, CG stated that 1 goal was to INCREASE player engagement with mods. All I'm saying is, when the credit cost to moving them around remains the same, and all that is done is making it easier to do, you're setting yourself up for A) Failure to meet a stated goal, and B ) Lots of upset less established players who blow through their credits because they don't think about the cost compared to the ease. The average player will likely run themselves broke once, then not bother with mods anymore because of the cost.

Tack on the cost of slicing (which has been conspicuously absent from everything we've been shown), and the cost barrier to FTP and less established players further increases. Not to mention the gap between top tier and lower tier players (something else that CG has claimed to want to lessen, not exacerbate).

The cynic in me says that this WHOLE thing is a credit sink for more established and P2P players, but is being sold as a solution to average and more casual players not using mods so CG doesn't have to say "this is a cash grab".
  • Moving mods for for every little thing...such as different phases in a raid... is tedious and not fun.

If they make it cheap that's exactly what will be expected.