What to Spend $$$ On?

Prev1
SemiGod
3001 posts Member
What is the best thing to buy for this game?

Replies

• Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    in general, crystals. the best is probably the $10 packs for guaranteed shards. imo NEVER buy the char packs with crystals, they say 5-300 shards or whatever but you're lucky to get 7, from my exp and what others here have said.
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • "everything"
    -CG
  • Gear for characters.
  • SemiGod wrote: »

Always depending on how much you want to spend. One time only or more often. Also it's depending on "where" are you currently in the game. Gear is never bad to buy and is the only thing I use my crystals for.
  • dont spend in game. I spent tons on my team. Now they gave everyone 3* bastilla for free who can win over most teams with gear 8 or 9 and bad mods. Dont spend and try get g12 or good mods couse bastilla still wins with bad gear and mods.
  • jursllla wrote: »
    dont spend in game. I spent tons on my team. Now they gave everyone 3* bastilla for free who can win over most teams with gear 8 or 9 and bad mods. Dont spend and try get g12 or good mods couse bastilla still wins with bad gear and mods.

A lot of toons are good at 3*. It will always be the kit which makes a toon great or bad. Also it's actually the Nightmare team with Palp which you can run with really bad mods and still win (use it myself). I have seen them with +30 speed in top 20 where everyone has above +100 speed. Bastila isn't even the ruling meta so I don't see why she's a problem.
  • If you don't mind gambling, spend money on the game. Otherwise, just stay free-to-play. Honestly, I've read nothing but bad things about most of the kits they offer for players to buy. Especially the big character shard packs like Gifafi already mentioned. The chance of actually getting your money's worth is slim to none. Unless a pack is guaranteed to pay out a set number of shards or crystals, I'd definitely stay away from it. I haven't spent any money because of the things I've mentioned here.
  • The only character pack I’ve bought was the 4* on Bastila :)
  • Personally, I like to buy the $9.99 packs for new marquee characters to get the guaranteed 30 shards. I don't buy them all, but once a month I'll grab a toon that seems to be useful in TW or raids. I'll wait a couple weeks until after its released to see which character gets the best reviews. This game may be FTP, but it's not free to make, so I don't mind throwing some $s at a game that I play every day.

When I do spend money on anything else, it's to buy crystals specifically for gear. If you're going to spend money on crystals my recommendation is: Only buy the $100 pack if you can afford it. Best crystals per dollar value. If you can wait until they run a 50% bonus sale, even better. Use the crystals and gear on a very specific character or group of characters that will help you in arena(s). Finish higher in arenas, get more crystals, need to spend money for faster progression lessens.
  • I spend money on crystals that I use for Energy refreshes (x3) and Cantina Refreshes (x3). The $10 character packs I see as the next valuable purchase, but I am not as thrilled with these as I once was. Initially I spent on other things, but now I have mixed feelings about that.
  • If u wanna spend, restart and go read some tutorials on how to stock up 1000 energy and cantina energy (and now ship energy) before u are arena ready, then unleash it all and be 10 levels ahead of the rest of ur shard.

Then buy some crystals and gear to seal the deal.
  • CHFC22
    732 posts Member
    Don't spend money - it engenders an awful sense of entitlement. See all the Bastila posts for hilarious proof.
  • Crystals.

But, regardless of that, I would never spend a penny/dime on anything where the return is not guaranteed. Gambling is for mugs.
  • CHFC22 wrote: »
    Don't spend money - it engenders an awful sense of entitlement. See all the Bastila posts for hilarious proof.

Is this sarcasm? My sarcasm meter may be malfunctioning.

Regardless, as a broader point, I'd say the real sense of entitlement is thinking you should get to play a game every day, that you seem to enjoy enough to have a forum account, for free and compel others not to spend money as well.
  • CHFC22
    732 posts Member
    Rebel_yell wrote: »
    CHFC22 wrote: »

Regardless, as a broader point, I'd say the real sense of entitlement is thinking you should get to play a game every day, that you seem to enjoy enough to have a forum account, for free and compel others not to spend money as well.

It wasn't sarcasm, but it was flippant. Entitlement means I expect something I don't necessarily deserve, so this forum doesn't count as it's free for everyone. I assume your point is that payers in some way fund it, but I'd find that convoluted at best. Apologies if I'm reading into your point too much however! Those payers, and the launch of Bastila has highlighted this, that spend money and assume it should guarantee them the best of everything were my target. There are of course plenty who sensibly choose to spend more strategically.
  • Rebel_yell wrote: »

It’s the game maker’s prerogative to figure out how to best get paid for their game. It is the player’s prerogative to gain the most enjoyment out of the game for the least money.

Buying crystals for energy refreshes and buying character packs early is the best use for those who want to spend money in game, in my opinion. The game is set up so free players can be competitive over time, so as a paying player, your advantage is the head start you can get over free players. If you can be at or near the top of your arena and fleet arena shards from the beginning, you create your own crystal income stream and minimize the amount you need to spend later.
  • Kai_Mulai wrote: »
    If you can be at or near the top of your arena and fleet arena shards from the beginning, you create your own crystal income stream and minimize the amount you need to spend later.

Great point very well made.

• Kai_Mulai wrote: »

It’s the game maker’s prerogative to figure out how to best get paid for their game. It is the player’s prerogative to gain the most enjoyment out of the game for the least money.

Buying crystals for energy refreshes and buying character packs early is the best use for those who want to spend money in game, in my opinion. The game is set up so free players can be competitive over time, so as a paying player, your advantage is the head start you can get over free players. If you can be at or near the top of your arena and fleet arena shards from the beginning, you create your own crystal income stream and minimize the amount you need to spend later.

Absolutely agree. My point had nothing to do with whether or not someone should spend money on the game, but simply pointing out that irony in calling all people who spend money on the game "entitled".

If you read back, I made a post earlier that makes the exact point as you. If you're going to spend, spend on arena.

Nothing. Don't give them the satisfaction.
  • CoastalJames
    2971 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    SemiGod wrote: »

And, presumably, say goodbye to the game that lots of us (myself included) enjoy playing for free.

And, presumably, say goodbye to the game that lots of us (myself included) enjoy playing for free.

I play for free too. There's plenty off completely free apps out there, but we do have enough people forking out money on this app to not worry about that.
  • Unless you have money to burn, I'd suggest any spending you do is targeted at getting you to the top of your arena and fleet shards, like a few people here have suggested.

Apart from the occasional £9.99 pack to 4* a new marquee toon that's where all my spending went. As a result I make 875-900 crystals most days from arena and fleet whereas before I spent I washovering around rank 250 and making 60 crystals a day. That's effectively £8 worth of crystals a day more than I would have otherwise been making, so if I hadn't spent in an arena-focused way I would have to be spending an extra £8 a day to keep up with my current progress (which is mostly F2P since the initial investment). That adds up.
    https://swgoh.gg/u/ionastarbound/
    Discord: Iona Starbound#5299

I play for free too. There's plenty off completely free apps out there, but we do have enough people forking out money on this app to not worry about that.

it's a weird response though. You get satisfaction from playing the game, otherwise why would you do it and why would you be on the forums. But all the infrastructure that brings you something you enjoy shouldn't also get satisfaction in the form of monetary contribution?

Look, I totally get suggesting ways someone can progress in the game without spending money, but to propose not spending money as a direct slight to a company that provides you entertainment seems... I'll say foolish and save myself another warning.

You have someone who has already made a choice to spend money, and we as a community can warn them of the pitfalls of spending on say, shard packs for new toons. We can help another player spend wisely or even not spend at all with an effective strategy. So why use it as an opportunity to disparage people who do spend on the game? And disparage the creators of the game? I don't get it.
  • FREEDOMfrom
    474 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    SemiGod wrote: »

it's a weird response though. You get satisfaction from playing the game, otherwise why would you do it and why would you be on the forums. But all the infrastructure that brings you something you enjoy shouldn't also get satisfaction in the form of monetary contribution?

Look, I totally get suggesting ways someone can progress in the game without spending money, but to propose not spending money as a direct slight to a company that provides you entertainment seems... I'll say foolish and save myself another warning.

You have someone who has already made a choice to spend money, and we as a community can warn them of the pitfalls of spending on say, shard packs for new toons. We can help another player spend wisely or even not spend at all with an effective strategy. So why use it as an opportunity to disparage people who do spend on the game? And disparage the creators of the game? I don't get it.

Huh? I'm free to play, and would love it if everyone is free to play on this app. Yes they provide something that is entertaining for me....for FREE. I'm happy with that.

Would it change the app if everyone stopped spending their money? maybe but we don't know that for sure.

He asked what he should spend money on, I gave him my best advice and said nothing. Enjoy the game as it is. Why can I not provide my feedback??

I'm also not the only one who said don't spend anything yet i'm the one you point out.
  • If everyone stopped spending their money this app would die. Sure there are some completely free apps out there but there's no way in hell CG's business model is set up to facilitate zero income from this game.
    https://swgoh.gg/u/ionastarbound/
    Discord: Iona Starbound#5299
  • If everyone stopped spending their money this app would die.

This. Obviously. Advising people not to spend on the game when they enjoy it for free is pretty silly.

Anyway...it's the internet...

• FREEDOMfrom
    474 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    If everyone stopped spending their money this app would die.

This. Obviously. Advising people not to spend on the game when they enjoy it for free is pretty silly.

Anyway...it's the internet...
    Games/apps have made it work before. There are plenty of examples. Some charge for cosmetic items but that's different.
    518 posts Member
    Don't spend. This is the first thing I've learn. They will always make a better offer and in the end, you'll end up spending for nothing more than a collection game that hide behind the strategic curtain, collection will always be the main goal so spending will always be a thing. Don't start and you won't have this problem.
  • CHFC22
    732 posts Member
    Guest wrote: »
    Don't spend. This is the first thing I've learn. They will always make a better offer and in the end, you'll end up spending for nothing more than a collection game that hide behind the strategic curtain, collection will always be the main goal so spending will always be a thing. Don't start and you won't have this problem.

Careful - someone will accuse you of being a freeloader.

Save money and resources for 6 dot mods.