Their Guild- 46 Trayas. Our guild- 3 Trayas.

I would like to bring attention to our most recent TW matchup. We have full guild participation (50/50) with around 133M Active GP. We are setting 24 per zone so that indicates 2-3 people are sitting out in their guild. According to swogh.gg, they have around 160M GP (we are unable to find them in-game to confirm gg's data). Even if they are missing their top 3 people, that would leave them with around 148.5M Active GP- a 15.5M Active GP advantage over us.

They have 46 total Trayas in their guild while we have 3. That will be our biggest hurdle this TW. We can handle uneven GP to a certain extent, but being down 40-43 Trayas will be incredibly difficult to overcome.
As a primary consideration, matchmaking identifies the strongest characters/ships expected to be used by each participant in the Territory War and assigns a value to each roster. Then it looks for the single strongest squads and compares them to each other. Matchmaking then aggregates these criteria for the guild and finds the opponent that is most similar.

Might I recommend the developers take a look at what you would define as the "strongest characters...expected to be used" because I'm not entirely sure it includes Traya. We have nearly equal numbers of JTR, CLS, and GK but Traya is probably the most game changing character right now and the toughest to fight.

I post this not for sympathy or to stir discord but to continue to make it clear to developers that matchmaking is still very much broken. We have consistently been the underdog in almost every one of our TWs from the beginning except one- to the point where we've come to accept a 10M Total (not Active) GP gap between our TW opponents and ourselves as standard.

Replies

• Same story for our guild. We just try to get enough people to join so we get the free zeta. Never even come close to winning.
  • Either of you fighting Prepaired? We’ve got 46 traya and are facing a guild with according to .gg, 0 trayas.

Not often the algorithm throws you a bone, but we’ll take it.
  • Either of you fighting Prepaired? We’ve got 46 traya and are facing a guild with according to .gg, 0 trayas.

Not often the algorithm throws you a bone, but we’ll take it.

Only means matchmaking of them sucks.

Be happy you have an easy game against opponents with most likely less gm, less mods, less good characters. Just others complain here to have impossible to win games (games other can auto your teams as they got double amount, better mods, better teams and better characters i.e. Traya and others).

Issue is with their matchmaking system that the game simply comes and tells you the RNG red card and tells you to loose. And thats a bad thing.
  • We are not (we have 3 trayas all on swgoh). In all of the TW we've ever played, we've only had the higher GP twice and were only up 2 or 3 mil in active GP.
  • Think of it in mathematical terms.

A match requires 2 teams, obviously.

If there are 13 total guilds who would be evenly matched with 43 Trayas - that's 6 matches and one left over. So, they're going to be matches against someone below them. I don't know where they break down as far as matches go, but it's still possible.

There have been much worse matches (nearly 2-1 GP differentials), so how that algorithm works is unknown.
  • What is their guild name?.... Is there a reason you can't look them up?
  • cboath7 wrote: »
    Think of it in mathematical terms.

If there are 13 total guilds who would be evenly matched with 43 Trayas - that's 6 matches and one left over. So, they're going to be matches against someone below them. I don't know where they break down as far as matches go, but it's still possible.

There have been much worse matches (nearly 2-1 GP differentials), so how that algorithm works is unknown.

Lol obviously it's possible; it happened to us didn't it? :) If I can point out that in your model, it still doesn't make sense that a guild with 46 Trayas got matched with a guild that has 3 Trayas unless there are no other guilds out there with 4-45 Trayas.

I'm not trying to say that other guilds haven't gotten worse match ups as far as Total GP comparisons go. Far from it (we've personally had much worse Total GP comparisons with past guilds). I simply wanted to illustrate what is clearly a flaw in their matchmaking system based on a developer's explanation for what is a "primary consideration" for matching guilds. If we (as players) stop posting about our concerns, the developers may think that we are all content with how things are going and see no need to further improve or tweak their algorithms.
  • Well one of our guild members talked to someone from the other guild and they confirmed that had 47/50 members for an Active GP of 154.5M GP. Compared to our 133M Active GP, that's a difference of 21.5M GP in addition to all the Trayas. We happily didn't get roflstomped but this definitely wasn't an even playing field.
  • shaggybevo wrote: »
    cboath7 wrote: »
    Think of it in mathematical terms.

Lol obviously it's possible; it happened to us didn't it? :) If I can point out that in your model, it still doesn't make sense that a guild with 46 Trayas got matched with a guild that has 3 Trayas unless there are no other guilds out there with 4-45 Trayas.

I'm not trying to say that other guilds haven't gotten worse match ups as far as Total GP comparisons go. Far from it (we've personally had much worse Total GP comparisons with past guilds). I simply wanted to illustrate what is clearly a flaw in their matchmaking system based on a developer's explanation for what is a "primary consideration" for matching guilds. If we (as players) stop posting about our concerns, the developers may think that we are all content with how things are going and see no need to further improve or tweak their algorithms.

Fair enough.

It depends on how they hack up their groups though. I'm in a (now) 45M GP guild. At the time of this example we were around 35M and got matched against a 50M+ (somewhere between 50-54.9). I dare say that put us at a bigger disadvantage.

I'm curious as to how it's done frankly. It's almost as if they take all participating teams, split them up into a handful of groups and then match between those teams. I wonder how often a team qualifies and doesn't get in? Should happen frequently you'd think. The odds of an even number of teams applying every single time is zero.

I would actually expect more of the imbalances to be on the upper portion, though. There simply have be fewer high end guilds, therefore the odds of a higher team getting a lower one (in the upper end segment) would seem to be higher.

Wouldn't surprise me at all to find out they have a massive formula and there's a misplaced parenthesis somewhere that skews the match making :)
  • cboath7 wrote: »
    I'm curious as to how it's done frankly. It's almost as if they take all participating teams, split them up into a handful of groups and then match between those teams. I wonder how often a team qualifies and doesn't get in? Should happen frequently you'd think. The odds of an even number of teams applying every single time is zero.

Wouldn't surprise me at all to find out they have a massive formula and there's a misplaced parenthesis somewhere that skews the match making :)

This is the only official explanation I've seen from developers.

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/162893/dev-post-matchmaking-clarification-post-3-15/p1

From that, I gathered that they have certain characters/teams that they compare across guilds regardless of GP and then match accordingly. But I honestly don't know. There just seem to be constantly too many mismatches beyond GP or whatever characters/teams they use for comparison.