The Mod Changes Megathread

Replies

• fell_swarm
    28 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    Well, the answer is no
    If they thought mod usage was low before, wait til they nerf them all and turn their use into something like solving a mathematical proof.

Not even close. They made mods better. Now more set bonuses are going to be useful, and we have new ways of improving mods that we've already farmed. Sure, you have to track an extra dimension of quality (tier/color) and grind some more resources. Good thing they gave you a handy way to track tiers visually and a new energy source for the farming.

Some people would whine at a free $20 because it's not $50.
  • Gannon
    1619 posts Member
    So I have a question.. May sound dumb, but here goes.
    Doesn't someone say that the existing mod stats would be increased, both primary and secondary, by a certain percentage?
    ... I can't find any info about secondaries now.
  • Gannon wrote: »
    Doesn't someone say that the existing mod stats would be increased, both primary and secondary, by a certain percentage?

The Set and Primary stat bonuses are going up, I do not believe there is any change to secondaries except that you get an increase when you slice.
  • Gannon
    1619 posts Member
    Sleepybear wrote: »
    Gannon wrote: »

The Set and Primary stat bonuses are going up, I do not believe there is any change to secondaries except that you get an increase when you slice.

I really hope that's not true
    If so, that's worthless to me then.. 95% of what I look for in mods are the secondaries. If they're not getting an increase other than slicing, it'll be months before I can see any increase in one..
    -_-
  • Sleepybear
    24 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    I believe that was the whole point of increasing those, to make them actually worthwhile to look at instead of just ignoring. I also think the Primary Stat Increases is just when you slice it, no changes to 5* Mods.

Also worth mentioning, they held back the Set bonus increases due to bugs they found, so it is not live as of yet.
  • Sleepybear wrote: »

All of the secondaries will also increase when you upgrade to a 6* as well I believe.
  • Deell
    106 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    A
    Post edited by Deell on
  • Gannon
    1619 posts Member
    Ok, so they pushed the hotfix for set bonuses, no secondary increases that I can see.. Lame :(
  • 3pourr2
    1927 posts Member
    Secondaries will increase with slicing I believe.
  • I have done 25 hard node battles in a row without any of the update drops for slicing mods. Is this normal?
  • Jkwon wrote: »
    I have done 25 hard node battles in a row without any of the update drops for slicing mods. Is this normal?

Yes. I have also found that 20 energy nodes are giving better drop rates than 12 or 16.
  • I'm really disappointed in the change in the drop rate for mods. Where I was used to pulling 5* purple and gold mods from mod challenges. There seems to be a really drastic change in that I haven't seen above a 5* green mod and I'm experiencing a good deal of 3* and 4* mods. Really disappointing and no longer viewed as viable for farming. I'll avoid it from here on out unless the change is reverted in the drop ratio. There's no way that this is a mere RNG thing. The ratio has drastically changed.
  • Eelppets wrote: »
    I'm really disappointed in the change in the drop rate for mods. Where I was used to pulling 5* purple and gold mods from mod challenges. There seems to be a really drastic change in that I haven't seen above a 5* green mod and I'm experiencing a good deal of 3* and 4* mods. Really disappointing and no longer viewed as viable for farming. I'll avoid it from here on out unless the change is reverted in the drop ratio. There's no way that this is a mere RNG thing. The ratio has drastically changed.
    Or what really has happened is the pendulum has swung the other way for awhile, getting lots of 5* gold and purples per challenge is not something to count on.
  • Gannon
    1619 posts Member
    so, did the primary stats increase at all? I don't remember what they were before.. lol
  • Gannon
    1619 posts Member
    evoluza wrote: »
    so, did the primary stats increase at all? I don't remember what they were before.. lol

Not yet.

With the set bonus increase, I realized how many of my mods are all awesome sets tho.. gives them a whole new layer of viability lol
    when primary stats increase (and if I can ever get the mats to slice em) they're gonna be even better.
  • 3pourr2
    1927 posts Member
    Ya just the health boost from mod sets help the squishies a bit.
  • Mzee
    1777 posts Member
    Not sure what to spend the mod energy on that I now have max amount of. Do we just have to wait for midnight refresh? Others in my guild haven't got update yet.
  • So when will I be able to use mod energy in the mod challenges? I still can only use cantina energy. All this mod energy and nowhere to spend it.
  • MCThr33pio wrote: »
    Has anyone noticed that upgrading mods is TOTALLY different now??

You used to automatically get the secondaries that were there to upgrade first, then have the rest of the secondaries added after - now the missing secondaries add FIRST, and THEN ALL THE SECONDARIES have a chance to upgrade from there.

Meaning, if you start off with a mod with only a speed secondary stat, you upgrade it until the remaining three secondaries appear, then hope that the original speed secondary gets selected randomly out of the four secondaries to be improved. Yikes, and yuck.

Welcome to the new, more brutal and expensive slog to earn those precious speed secondaries, friends.

[ edit - so yeah, it says as much in the original post which I hadn't read yet. I just went ahead and surprised myself. Sigh. Still don't like it. Having to slice is just another level of expense and effort for us to have to go through. Ug. ]

Okay, so after a few days I have to say that this isn't really all that terrible - it falls out to be more or less the same in the end. Maybe even a little better, if you get a high tier mod.

But I just downloaded the newest update from the Google Play store, and while the mod search filters are just the best thing ever - mod slicing is looking to be just what I feared - a new resource sink.

Maybe it won't be as bad as I'm thinking, but the drop rate for mod salvage had better be more generous than it is for this special event, or this will be most definitely a new divide between F2P and the whales, and a painful one.

That's not a terrible thing, but it's likely going to change the landscape of the game significantly.
  • ^ Agreed. Several days of my normal hard node farming allowed me to slice two gray mods after the update. Weeeer. So glad we waited ages for this.
  • RufusDogbreath
    233 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    fell_swarm wrote: »
    Well, the answer is no
    If they thought mod usage was low before, wait til they nerf them all and turn their use into something like solving a mathematical proof.

Not even close. They made mods better. Now more set bonuses are going to be useful, and we have new ways of improving mods that we've already farmed. Sure, you have to track an extra dimension of quality (tier/color) and grind some more resources. Good thing they gave you a handy way to track tiers visually and a new energy source for the farming.

Some people would whine at a free $20 because it's not $50.

Nobody gave me a free $20. Lol. They’re trying to get me to give them $20s (like that single mom dancing on the pole).

I respectfully disagree with your blindfully glib outlook on the changes. They are, at present, very confusing to the average player. The staged rollout is making it worse. Set bonuses have always been helpful if you knew how to use them. This a way for CG to sell the parts to slice mods. You still have to sink too many resources in a 5E to get it to be usable. You’re better off with a 5A, just like before. I don’t know why they told us to keep the 5Es-I can’t see the secondaries, no way to know if I should sink resources into them.

Some acolytes would let CG defecate in their mouth and say, “Please sir, may I have some more?!” And then point at me and say “Look at him! The bugger would whine at a free poo because it’s not a chocolate pudding.”

Yes. Yes I would.
    I am the jedi dog battle droid C-3PO could not kill.
  • MCThr33pio wrote: »
    Maybe it won't be as bad as I'm thinking, but the drop rate for mod salvage had better be more generous than it is for this special event, or this will be most definitely a new divide between F2P and the whales, and a painful one.

That's not a terrible thing, but it's likely going to change the landscape of the game significantly.

This, to the Nth degree.
    I am the jedi dog battle droid C-3PO could not kill.
  • Vohbo
    332 posts Member
    It IS a terrible thing to create a wide divide between whales and ftp players. Both from a game quality and a business perspective, it's just really bad. The gap is already immense now, it is only going to get worse if mods will compound the problem.
  • I love how heavily emphasized “making it easier to obtain mods” is, as if it’s not another way for EA to swindle money. Yeah maybe to start out it’s now easier to obtain lower tier mods, but higher tier mods are now even more difficult to obtain with the right stat. I appreciate the interface change, but you took away the one advantage we had, which was being able to pick out a mod with a specific secondary and have a higher chance of getting that stat increased. Now we have to rely on RNG even more than we already do, AND fork out extra crystals for a new type of energy that we can’t do anything with but was released anyway for some reason, and on top of that, waste currency typically spent on gear to obtain mod splicing materials just to gain a small advantage, which unfortunately in this game can cost you quite a few ranks due to the imbalanced nature of the game.

I will give credit where credit is due and give a thumbs up to being able to view the odds of obtaining an item from the overly expensive packs, at least you’ve somewhat given us a way out of feeling like we NEED to spend ridiculous amounts of money in order to keep up with such frequent short notice character additions by showing us it’s not worth it. It takes away the temptation to waste crystals on such horrible odds. I loved how brief the wording was for the “odds disclaimer change” was in the patch notes too. It’s almost as if it should have been released when the game originally came out.........

I hate to do so much whining over a game I’ll never stop playing because of the franchise. Every update I’ve seen has been pitched as some sort of added feature that gives us an advantage of some sort, which it is... you just have to spend copious amounts of money for it to have any sort of positive Impact. But you gotta make that poorly invested money back from a highly anticipated game that might have redeemed EA’s reputation that got shut down just before release somehow.

Vent session over, I’ll shut my mouth now and launch the game because I’m an ****.