6 dot mods can only be equipped by g12

Replies

• I wish special toons like raid rewards, guild event toons, legendaries were excluded from this limitation.

Imo marquees are easy to get/gear, so it makes 100% sense to not being able to equip 6* mods on them. But on the other hand, the special toons take months to get, and are absolutely game changing when you get em. So yeah.

Make a special case for those toons. Please.

Ps. Everything else about the mod update is insanely better than anything i would've imagined. Props!

Marquees are easy to get if you throw down your credit card. Some of us don't have $300 to spend on a toon every month.
  • Acrofales wrote: »
    I wish special toons like raid rewards, guild event toons, legendaries were excluded from this limitation.

Imo marquees are easy to get/gear, so it makes 100% sense to not being able to equip 6* mods on them. But on the other hand, the special toons take months to get, and are absolutely game changing when you get em. So yeah.

Ps. Everything else about the mod update is insanely better than anything i would've imagined. Props!

Marquees are easy to get if you throw down your credit card. Some of us don't have $300 to spend on a toon every month.

He's talking about using the Marquee characters at 3* (thus the comment about not being able to use 6E mods on them).
    I wish special toons like raid rewards, guild event toons, legendaries were excluded from this limitation.

Yeah sure, because your 3* g11 zbastilla cheese deserves to have 6* mods, and you had to spends $300 on her. Sure.

IMO nest and sion weren't cancerous like bastilla. They both had a day and night difference between how they performed at 7* vs 3*. Whereas the kotor chick is just badly balanced(although it was unintended, which kinda makes me sympathetic for them).

But still; if you're gonna make a limitation, keep special toons out of it.

• I understand why they restricted them to g12 characters, but it creates frustration, particularly when swapping loadouts. I think the better call would have been to not restrict them.
  • Kyno wrote: »
    Does anyone else recall the devs comment that they did not foresee the massive mod swapping that occurs, Their intention was that a player would farm mods for each character.

With that comment in mind, I wonder if the g12 gate to equip 6e+ mods is deliberate and done so to reduce the mod shuffling that is occurring. You can make every mod you own that is 5e into a 5a,and swap those everywhere anytime, but if you want to have the fanciest mods, 6e+, you need to use them on g12. Only.

Just a thought.

Does that really justify, removing some of the functionality of a mod when upgrading it?

Hit them with reduced stats when on a non g12 toon, ita a little ridiculous to lock them out.

Yes I'd say it does. At 6* G11 you don't have access to G12 and G12+, and this is the same thing with 6e mods. Letting endgame characters utilize endgame mods and gears helps to preserve the investment players put into those characters.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Trey 66 wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »
    Does anyone else recall the devs comment that they did not foresee the massive mod swapping that occurs, Their intention was that a player would farm mods for each character.

With that comment in mind, I wonder if the g12 gate to equip 6e+ mods is deliberate and done so to reduce the mod shuffling that is occurring. You can make every mod you own that is 5e into a 5a,and swap those everywhere anytime, but if you want to have the fanciest mods, 6e+, you need to use them on g12. Only.

Just a thought.

Does that really justify, removing some of the functionality of a mod when upgrading it?

Hit them with reduced stats when on a non g12 toon, ita a little ridiculous to lock them out.

Yes I'd say it does. At 6* G11 you don't have access to G12 and G12+, and this is the same thing with 6e mods. Letting endgame characters utilize endgame mods and gears helps to preserve the investment players put into those characters.

Yes but once you add the g12 stuff, what do you lose?

My point is that there is nothing else in the game that when you upgrade you have less access to things. There are now 6* and under events, there are no g10 and under events.

I agree end game material should be utilized on end game toons, but that doesnt mean you shouldn't be able to use it else where. I am fine with reverting the stats to 5 dot or maybe somewhere in between, but not removed from being able to use a mod we may have had for a year.
  • Ultra
    11502 posts Moderator

keep in mind the limitation is gear 12. Having a toon at 7 stars doesn’t mean you can equip 6 dot mods on them. I would disagree with marquee characters being an easy gear. It’s a bottleneck. Some toons work well at 7 stars but low gear like Ackbar in some teams / areas of game or Zombie (currently)

For raid / GET toons you should be able to prefarm g12 stuff by the time you get them to 7 stars so it’s not a big issue

• Trey 66 wrote: »

Just a thought.

How does it « helps preserve the investment » ? I’ve seen this « argument » already and i can’t wrap my mind around it. It makes zero sense to me so i would really like someone to dumb it down for me.

I don’t see how the way you use your investment in mods and the way you use your investments in gear or star are related and certainly not how anything helps preserve anything.

Truth is if you really want to go down that road it does the opposite. It actually negates both your investment in mods and all the investment made on character below the threshold. So a lvl 1 g1 1* character and a lvl 85 g11 7* character are treated the same way, no matter how much you invested to get from one point to the other.
    A full team of lvl 85, 7*, g11 characters. How much investment is that. You can’t even use the mods that you invested so much in for so long on them.

Sounds to me like a whole lot of wasted investment, not preserved.

Just a thought.

My point is that there is nothing else in the game that when you upgrade you have less access to things. There are now 6* and under events, there are no g10 and under events.

I agree end game material should be utilized on end game toons, but that doesnt mean you shouldn't be able to use it else where. I am fine with reverting the stats to 5 dot or maybe somewhere in between, but not removed from being able to use a mod we may have had for a year.

That would be such a weird mechanic to have the mod change depending on what type of gear your character has. I think you're off point with this.

The hard and fast rule is this, if you don't have gear XII characters, don't worry about rarity 6 mods. Just get them gold until you're ready to make that move.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

Just a thought.

That would be such a weird mechanic to have the mod change depending on what type of gear your character has. I think you're off point with this.

The hard and fast rule is this, if you don't have gear XII characters, don't worry about rarity 6 mods. Just get them gold until you're ready to make that move.

and restricting the use of ones own inventory, because you upgraded it is not a weird mechanic?

allowing the mod to have 2 states, allows them to promote development, and respect peoples investment without removing any access to our own inventory.

Just a thought.

and restricting the use of ones own inventory, because you upgraded it is not a weird mechanic?

allowing the mod to have 2 states, allows them to promote development, and respect peoples investment without removing any access to our own inventory.

I'll give you that they're both weird mechanics. I think making rarity 6 have a gear requirement as a more natural change.

Overall I guess it's a symptom of the player base pushing so hard to want to mod swap regularly. If it was more regularly accepted that changing mods is really when you are doing overhauls of arena or raid teams, it wouldn't be such a big deal because you'd already be trying to max the characters.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

Just a thought.

I'll give you that they're both weird mechanics. I think making rarity 6 have a gear requirement as a more natural change.

Overall I guess it's a symptom of the player base pushing so hard to want to mod swap regularly. If it was more regularly accepted that changing mods is really when you are doing overhauls of arena or raid teams, it wouldn't be such a big deal because you'd already be trying to max the characters.

Stars: upgrade-> better stats, more access to events, raids and g12

Gear: upgrade-> better stats, more access to abilities, easier time completing events and stuff

Mods: upgrade-> better stats, less access to your roster

There is not a single thing in this game other than this new upgrade that restricts access after you upgrade.

I have no problem with reduced stats for non g12 characters. I am just not a fain of having less access to my roster and things I have built up today than yesterday because I upgraded something. There is nothing natural about that, and nothing like that in the game so far.

A similar situation that they could have follow would be to have 6 dot mods only pump up stats when on a g12 toon. Much like leader and character abilities: just because they dont effect a character doesnt mean I cant use them on the same team, it just means we dont get the benefit of them.

Just a thought.

Stars: upgrade-> better stats, more access to events, raids and g12

Gear: upgrade-> better stats, more access to abilities, easier time completing events and stuff

Mods: upgrade-> better stats, less access to your roster

There is not a single thing in this game other than this new upgrade that restricts access after you upgrade.

I have no problem with reduced stats for non g12 characters. I am just not a fain of having less access to my roster and things I have built up today than yesterday because I upgraded something. There is nothing natural about that, and nothing like that in the game so far.

A similar situation that they could have follow would be to have 6 dot mods only pump up stats when on a g12 toon. Much like leader and character abilities: just because they dont effect a character doesnt mean I cant use them on the same team, it just means we dont get the benefit of them.

I go back and forth on this. On the one hand restricting things to high levels, gear, or rarity is all over the game already. On the other, none of the other locations have an upgrade path or flexibility like mods. Getting more power is desirable, being unable to use it is not.

There seem to be two simple actions that could help immediately. CG could remove the limitation. Or players could focus on slicing green, blue, and purple mods to gold (so they have more good mods and less of a need to move them).

Asking the players to change is not a great solution so that rules that out.

CG seems intent on reducing movement of mods though. Maybe a compromise where they lift the restriction and add cost tiers to mod movement. Gray mods move for free. Green cost 500, blue 4,500, purple 10,000, gold 50,000, 6E 150,000 credits.

Just throwing out some thoughts and half baked ideas. Go ahead and let me know how ridiculous they are and why they'll never work ;)
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    I get limit the stats to being effective for g12, like I said I'm just kot a fain of losing access to something because I upgraded it and there are similar in game things that could have been mimicked to accomplish the same thing, without doing that.

It's not like they increased access to better mods in any way. So just replacing them with new mods isnt really a thing.
  • I agree with Kyno. The g12 requirement doesn't have much to do with my current roster, really, I have plenty of g12 toons.

The issues is down the road (though, even with the current spree of marquee toons I see it.....) As you need these toons for events down the road... you already have to get them to 7*. But even if they're not quite geared some good ol' mod swapping was enough to get you a victory in events.

Now - it's desirable to advance your best mods first. But now you can't put them on those needed event toons unless you'v not only starred, but also geared them. The discussion on Raid/Arena/etc as already been made.

CG - you really should consider gating it all around 7*, at the MAX. The gear crunch is fine, part of the game, but now you've taken away access for our best mods because of the gear crunch......

To repeat - in some ways - its better to NOT upgrade mods... this is like Zombie all over again.
    #AcolyteShootsTwice
    I get limit the stats to being effective for g12, like I said I'm just kot a fain of losing access to something because I upgraded it and there are similar in game things that could have been mimicked to accomplish the same thing, without doing that.

It's not like they increased access to better mods in any way. So just replacing them with new mods isnt really a thing.

It's a symptom of CG testing everything on whale accounts. They likely didn't consider it, because they didn't catch it, because all the characters they tested it on were G12. They don't actually play the game like the rest of us plebs. Everyone has unlimited access to gear to overcome those pesky bottlenecks, right?
  • I can't believe people are defending that it is OK for 6dot mods to only be able to attach to G12 Toons yet everybody looked at me crazy when I said zetas shouldn't be allowed to be put on 5 star Toons and below.

Of course everybody got up in arms over that saying it would put F2P further behind and hurt the community yet 6 dot mods are the exact same. Nowhere in the whole upcoming mod changes did CG ever say that 6 dot would be for G12 only. That is until they released it and pulled a ninja move and snuck it in.

It's really ironic the same ones who said forcing zetas behind star level would put a nail in the coffin for F2P and yet 6 dots will do that very thing. All the whales will have all the mods increased to 6dot giving them a huge boost on top of G12 gear in arena and flett and almost all F2pP will suffer unless the F2P happens to be on a dead shard.

Within the month the gap will start increasing exponentially and soon F2P will be pushed back to the point that they will either quit or just not care and log in once in awhile to mess around?

This **** should have been one of the first things said when they introduced mod sliding and 6 dot mods all they had to do was add it into the mod thread they created. The reason they didn't was because they knew we would all be up in arms about not being able to equip 6dot spliced mods on non G12 Toons.

The gap continues to further between F2P and P2P and it is being done completely on purpose. It's why I haven't bothered to slice a mod because I don't have any fully equipped g12 and won't for some time.

The flip side is they just keep nailing the door short more and more on new players. So soon it will be just long time vets, minnons, and whales. Then eventually they will get tired of the constant power creep and the pushing of the goal posts further back and they will slowly quit leaving nothing but the whales fighting each other.

But have no fear! Once this game drops down below a certain profit margin they will just release a sequel and start the cycle all over again.
  • Warp3dM1nd wrote: »
    I can't believe people are defending that it is OK for 6dot mods to only be able to attach to G12 Toons yet everybody looked at me crazy when I said zetas shouldn't be allowed to be put on 5 star Toons and below.

Of course everybody got up in arms over that saying it would put F2P further behind and hurt the community yet 6 dot mods are the exact same. Nowhere in the whole upcoming mod changes did CG ever say that 6 dot would be for G12 only. That is until they released it and pulled a ninja move and snuck it in.

It's really ironic the same ones who said forcing zetas behind star level would put a nail in the coffin for F2P and yet 6 dots will do that very thing. All the whales will have all the mods increased to 6dot giving them a huge boost on top of G12 gear in arena and flett and almost all F2pP will suffer unless the F2P happens to be on a dead shard.

Within the month the gap will start increasing exponentially and soon F2P will be pushed back to the point that they will either quit or just not care and log in once in awhile to mess around?

This ****. should have been one of the first things said when they introduced mod sliding and 6 dot mods all they had to do was add it into the mod thread they created. The reason they didn't was because they knew we would all be up in arms about not being able to equip 6dot spliced mods on non G12 Toons.

The gap continues to further between F2P and P2P and it is being done completely on purpose. It's why I haven't bothered to slice a mod because I don't have any fully equipped g12 and won't for some time.

The flip side is they just keep nailing the door short more and more on new players. So soon it will be just long time vets, minnons, and whales. Then eventually they will get tired of the constant power creep and the pushing of the goal posts further back and they will slowly quit leaving nothing but the whales fighting each other.

But have no fear! Once this game drops down below a certain profit margin they will just release a sequel and start the cycle all over again.

Well, your handle definitely suits your commentary style.
  • locodiel
    92 posts Member
    edited September 2018

I don't think the limitation is an issue with the spirit of the game. Of course it seems like your investment in developing mods costs flexibility and limits access to your roster. But this update is in line with the spirit of the game. In order to invest in high end 6 dot mods you have to invest in gear and stars first. And this is what CG/EA are known for: pushing very hard to squeeze the maximum revenue out of their customers.

I got 6 of the new shiny mods. Things did not change in any way by now. But they will once the whales equipped their whole arena squad. And I see the rationale behind this. With Traya meta it is too easy to beat the full G12 whale squads. Everyone who unlocks Traya has a chance to make it to top 10. I bet the advisors from the whale faction requested a limitation on mods that effectively protects their investment. And generally I am fine with this. I spend money and it always hurts a bit to see that any undergeared squad with 2 5* G11 toons can snipe me from #1 in arena. The really interesting question is: how does the next meta look like?
  • locodiel wrote: »

I don't think the limitation is an issue with the spirit of the game. Of course it seems like your investment in developing mods costs flexibility and limits access to your roster. But this update is in line with the spirit of the game. In order to invest in high end 6 dot mods you have to invest in gear and stars first. And this is what CG/EA are known for: pushing very hard to squeeze the maximum revenue out of their customers.

I got 6 of the new shiny mods. Things did not change in any way by now. But they will once the whales equipped their whole arena squad. And I see the rationale behind this. With Traya meta it is too easy to beat the full G12 whale squads. Everyone who unlocks Traya has a chance to make it to top 10. I bet the advisors from the whale faction requested a limitation on mods that effectively protects their investment. And generally I am fine with this. I spend money and it always hurts a bit to see that any undergeared squad with 2 5* G11 toons can snipe me from #1 in arena. The really interesting question is: how does the next meta look like?

Whales got traya first. The rest of us had to farm out or roster before being able to beat hSTR. The same goes for access to g12+, although whale guilds are just as screwed as the rest of us when it comes to access to those pieces, whales in dolphin guilds get to dominate the top 3, and collect g12+ faster. That should cement access to the top of the arena. And traya meta is actually very whale friendly. Nest works far better at 7* g12 than 3* g11, with +12 speed guaranteeing she moves first. The only real threat is bastila jedi teams, and using traya lead kills that dead in its tracks.

Compare that to the previous EP meta, which absolutely everybody had. Or Titan team, very non-whale friendly. Even JTR was obtainable on the first go for f2p with a razor focus on dumping their crystals into veteran farm (I know, I did it).

So I don't understand why whales would be upset about the current meta. Especially with HT now giving them top spot in fleet arena too.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    locodiel wrote: »

In the spirit of development, for every other element of the game, you get a better item and more access.

With mods you get a better item and less access.

Players out there in a month or 2 or 3, will be unlocking traya and could have mods that they can't equip on her.

New marquee toons that allow people to choose a different style of play in arena or TW(not everyone wants to follow the meta), will have to keep 1 (or more sets) of mods underdeveloped ( that is literally not promoting development) to have the options to play with that toon.

I'm all for the stats being limited, as I have said. I just dont believe that access to anyone's own roster should be limited by upgrading something. That is the part I feel is not in the spirit of the game.
  • My complaints:

"it was announced" is not an excuse. So many things to try and keep track of in the game, and it's not in the requirements list. It was announced doesn't cut it. I just wasted 1500 crystals.

When I ask the community I get the old "it's yir fault you don't have gear 12 because you aren't in a big enough guild.... That attitude is the exact reason I don't join a big guild. Haven't been impressed at all by the overall community. I want to play and enjoy a game I'm paying for. Not be told I'm playing wrong constantly and have my day micromanaged.

I'm talking to my admitadly little guild now. We're deciding whether or not getting locked out of a game because we choose to play differently is even worth it.
    locodiel wrote: »

In the spirit of development, for every other element of the game, you get a better item and more access.

With mods you get a better item and less access.

Players out there in a month or 2 or 3, will be unlocking traya and could have mods that they can't equip on her.

New marquee toons that allow people to choose a different style of play in arena or TW(not everyone wants to follow the meta), will have to keep 1 (or more sets) of mods underdeveloped ( that is literally not promoting development) to have the options to play with that toon.

I'm all for the stats being limited, as I have said. I just dont believe that access to anyone's own roster should be limited by upgrading something. That is the part I feel is not in the spirit of the game.

I have to admit that typically, reading through a thread, mine is a difficult mind to change. But you make some excellent points about "upgrading = restrictions" that don't really exist in other aspects of the game. It is also contrary to the "paper zombie" situation, that CG/EA has stated also not "in the spirit of the game" - so it makes little sense. Especially given the timing of both issues happening almost concurrently.

FWIW, consider my mind changed. 6* mods should be available to any character (that is, of course, capable of being modded). Well put Kyno.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • My complaints:

"it was announced" is not an excuse. So many things to try and keep track of in the game, and it's not in the requirements list. It was announced doesn't cut it. I just wasted 1500 crystals.

When I ask the community I get the old "it's yir fault you don't have gear 12 because you aren't in a big enough guild.... That attitude is the exact reason I don't join a big guild. Haven't been impressed at all by the overall community. I want to play and enjoy a game I'm paying for. Not be told I'm playing wrong constantly and have my day micromanaged.

I'm talking to my admitadly little guild now. We're deciding whether or not getting locked out of a game because we choose to play differently is even worth it.

You're complaining to the wrong people. Most people on the forums read all the announcements so they wouldn't miss important details like this.
    And no you won't be able to get your 1500 crystals back but if you complain enough to Customer Support, they might throw you 200 free crystals or something. Good luck.
  • Personally i have zero issue with 6* mods being behind a g12 wall

6* mods do not come quick... the number of mats needed to upgrade from 5 to 6 is crazy... its not like 6* mods are just farmable

Yes i have been playing since Jan 16 but i only have 20 or so G12 chars.. can pretty much gaurantee with the mats neededs ill have more g12 in a month than i will 6* mods
  • Saraleb wrote: »
    Personally i have zero issue with 6* mods being behind a g12 wall

6* mods do not come quick... the number of mats needed to upgrade from 5 to 6 is crazy... its not like 6* mods are just farmable

Yes i have been playing since Jan 16 but i only have 20 or so G12 chars.. can pretty much gaurantee with the mats neededs ill have more g12 in a month than i will 6* mods

That is not really the point. You unlock traya! Spent months on that raid, farmed up gear and zetas to get her ready! Woohoo. Time to put her in your arena team! Oh no. All your best mods cannot be equipped... and your second tier mods are not really competitive for arena. Not even on an amazing toon like traya. /Sad
    Saraleb wrote: »
    Personally i have zero issue with 6* mods being behind a g12 wall

That is not really the point. You unlock traya! Spent months on that raid, farmed up gear and zetas to get her ready! Woohoo. Time to put her in your arena team! Oh no. All your best mods cannot be equipped... and your second tier mods are not really competitive for arena. Not even on an amazing toon like traya. /Sad

Well, even more proximate, are we supposed to only increase mods to 6* we want to use on toons we already have at G12, or is it more "in the spirit of the game" to increase our BEST mods to 6* first, even if they're on a G11 toon?

I'm guessing most players have really good mods on sub-G12 toons because they fit that toon better, and are more useful there. They're now in a position that those GOOD mods can't be made better because the toon is behind a gear choke point.
  • So suppose I had a mod that I sliced from C to A, then sliced to 6 dot, would the mod stay at A or go back to C? Reason I ask is I have two that I sliced to 6 dot, and they read as E now.
  • wawrzon
    262 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    It follows same pattern as 5* mods, E->A. Currently slicing only increases tier, but resets grade to E. We can expect an update in the future that will let us increase 6* grade to A and probably slice to 7*. But that's only speculation, although highly possible.