What Does it Say About the Meta if....

Prev1
Your tanks are the last ones to die in arena?

Does it mean that the meta (which changes every six weeks) is over-powered?
Or does it mean that what you might consider to be a tank is useless?

Replies

• Your tanks are the last ones to die in arena?

Don't use a tank then? I still use Rex/Wampa/Talzin/Nihilus and Thrawn against the supposed meta and don't have any trouble.
  • There ya go.
  • Depends on the lineup. My tank (almost) always dies first.
    "Don't take yourself so serious; it's a game, have fun!" • https://swgoh.gg/u/yerffcaasi/
  • Ultra
    11491 posts Moderator
    Your tanks are the last ones to die in arena?

There are always work around to tanks once you can dispel the taunt. Its been there since Royal Guard was a meta tank and Scavenger Rey would one shot everyone else. Its been a thing when rebels were a meta and Lando's AOE would kill the weaker toon.

It just depends on what kind of tank you are running, what your team composition is and against what team you are going against. When Sion came out he was the last to die and would take out 3 toons by himself.

• Tanks are always going to be the first to die or the last to die, depending on your strat for dealing with them. Right now the meta trends toward dispell and ignore til the end. That doesn't mean they're useless: they're still soaking up all that crowd control that would otherwise be keeping your. Traya or Nilly locked down for all eternity.
  • There are still some tanks that make you kill them first (autotaunt combined with another tank—Sion/SiT or Obi-Wans under Bastila), but they require 2 slots instead of 1. But single tank with everyone having access to Thrawn is too easy to end-around to hit the squishies.
  • I run CLS, Chaze, Han, and Thrawn. Three of them have a dispell, two of give functional buff immunity. Unless I'm going against Sion or GK, I always leave the tank until the end.
  • I always found it weird that some characters flagged as "tanks" have no way to taunt. Like they're just standing off to the side all "Hey, guys, if you could direct some punishment my way? You know, just if you have time. If you don't want to, it's cool. We're all just here to have a good time."
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• Yeah I will say that tanks role is very reduced right now. They are almost always the last to be killed and are really usually only good to take the initial fracture or buff block. Really have to run 2 tanks or none.

Zaalbar, Old Ben, Sion, Sith Trooper and Bossk taunts are a step in the right direction, but others can usually just be ignored.
  • Run without any attacker, you will hold.

Run without any support, you might hold.

Run without a tank, you will NEVER hold.

IMO tanks are the most important. Have been for quite some time now. ;D

Tanks are like thrawn. Underrated, but the most useful nevertheless.
  • Jarvind wrote: »
    I always found it weird that some characters flagged as "tanks" have no way to taunt. Like they're just standing off to the side all "Hey, guys, if you could direct some punishment my way? You know, just if you have time. If you don't want to, it's cool. We're all just here to have a good time."

The most absurd one is Teebo - a tank with stealth.
  • Nauros wrote: »
    Jarvind wrote: »
    I always found it weird that some characters flagged as "tanks" have no way to taunt. Like they're just standing off to the side all "Hey, guys, if you could direct some punishment my way? You know, just if you have time. If you don't want to, it's cool. We're all just here to have a good time."

Teebo plays by his own rules.
  • CG_TopHat wrote: »
    Nauros wrote: »

Team: "Oh, good thing you are with us, Teebo. We really could use a tank."
    Teebo: "I hide."
    Team: "But you are a tank, you are supposed to let us hide behind you!"
    Teebo: "Nah, I hide."
  • Monel
    2784 posts Member
    CG_TopHat wrote: »

But when he hides he removes turn meter. I like that.

Nobody puts Teebo in the corner ;)

n3lgy88pkbah.png
    CG_TopHat wrote: »

Hahahahhahahahhaha....bravo

Love this
  • What annoys me is when you lose to a team, and it was their tank that took out 4 of your toons.

You guys pay attention?! :0 I thought you guys never posted.
    Get good and get a Revan. Ryanwhales
  • maybe because tanks isnt just the taunt ? i mean, using SithTrooper for example, is just for the auto-taunt at start. its in order to eat the isolate, and then his job is done. yea, its an annoying job, but someone gotta do it. it doesnt mean you dont need him. traya is able to win 3v5 fights unless there's enemy traya. if there's a chance for isolate, its already worth to make your team 4v5 and put SithTrooper. even for this small thing. isolate is just too big, that having a tank JUST FOR IT, is worth.
    same for ShoreTrooper.
    another type of tanks that are currently useful is the tanks that do more. Sion is great example. he bring lot of synergy to the trio, and he also dealing huge a,mount of damage. sure, the big thing about him, after all, is his tankiness and high defense, but he bring something more.
    KRU for example, also bring something more. besides the auto-taunt he provide like SithTrooper or shoreTrooper to defend from the isolate, he bring something more. first, he bring more assurances that he will eat the isolate. if, for example, nest/dn basic attack is dispelling him fast, he will probably counter attack and just put it right back. what old ben need a zeta for, kru can do on counter attack (but he also need the zeta for the autotaunt XD). also, if hes fast enough, he will use his first special and put taunt back on him. so his chance of eating that isolate is simply higher than SithTrooper. another thing he does, is his stun for 2 turns. he have some targets that he can stun for 2 turns and change the game completely - isolated Sith, thrawn, nest, wampa ... basically anyone besides Sith that isnt isolated (in the current meta). its pretty huge and there's even high chance for this to be very helpful on defense. and he can do this while hes isolated.

and on general thing : what is it say about the meta if the tanks are the last to die? that the meta requires creative solutions of how to bypass the tanks. REQUIRES. if you won't have tanks, your team will be very vulnerable for weak stuff that dont need the creative solution, and just go all-attack. and trust me, the "making you" use a tank to be top, is much better meta than just offense team.
  • Jarvind wrote: »

Tanking just means having the ability to draw your opponent's attention and the hp (and, in this game, protection) to survive that attention. Taunting is one way of drawing attention, the other is punishing opponents who don't pay attention to you. B2 can't taunt, but it will absolutely punish anyone who ignores it in favor of your other characters. Zeb will keep debuffing your enemy and healing Phoenix allies every turn if he isn't handled. Rey can't taunt, but every time you ignore her she gets stronger and she'll just keep taking turn after turn. All three of these folks take forever to kill, too.

That said, there are definitely some tanks that need work... Plo Koon's ship is fantastic, but he--himself--just has a bunch of HP and nothing else going for him. Mace Windu can't taunt AND can't punish for ignoring.

But not all tanks need to taunt. In fact, some are better because of the soft taunt (ie: B2, who still gets that TM even if buff immune; albeit it gets nothing if dazed). But, as you said, there are definitely some bad ones out there that need something more :p
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Run without any attacker, you will hold.

About time someone pointed out Thrawn's usefulness!
  • The meta changes every six weeks? We have had a Sith meta since February! That's 8 months...
  • If you run Nightsisters & paper Zombie I’m pretty sure the Tank dies 1st and last :)
  • CCyrilS wrote: »
    Run without any attacker, you will hold.

About time someone pointed out Thrawn's usefulness!

Love that statement. XD
  • Back in the day when I ran titans, Gk was nothing but a meat shield for me. He was modded to maximise protection and HP. Now with the def mod buff, defence would be great for him. The main problem with tanks is the tags. Some toon with the tank tag are not best used as tanks, and some toons with the support tag are great tanks. BB8, with his constant foresight is a great tank. Poe sucks as a tank. Chopper is support but is decent as an off tank. 5s, well je needs a GK lead to be a proper tank. R2 can make any toon tank for a while etc. Pay less attention to tags, and more to abilities. The tank/support/healer/attacker tags have been meaningless for the longest time
  • PorkGristle
    17 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    There are still some tanks that make you kill them first (autotaunt combined with another tank—Sion/SiT or Obi-Wans under Bastila), but they require 2 slots instead of 1. But single tank with everyone having access to Thrawn is too easy to end-around to hit the squishies.

Yeah, I started running two tanks thinking it would help me just like you've pointed out. It hasn't done a thing for me.... I run Yoda lead with zetas, and have been using GK and Old Ben (zeta) as a two-tank combo. It doesn't matter who I run in the other two slots, both tanks go down last. Occasionally, I can get my Nest or CLS to stay alive longer than one of them, but it's the exception not the norm.

Right now it's been Yoda, GK, Old Ben, Ezra, and Nest. For really good reasons, you would think either Ben, GK, or maybe even Nest would go down first... but I almost always lose Ezra first (75% of the time), then Yoda (25%). Without Ballista putting an early auto-taunt out there, it's just a speed mod game. Even with two tanks, my taunts mean nothing. One tank should be getting taunt every crit hit, the other putting taunt back on himself after losing it. Neither one does jack-shizzle. Total waste of gear and a Zeta for me until I can build something else around them.
    Post edited by PorkGristle on

Nope. You all are just that clueless.
  • Meerava wrote: »
    What annoys me is when you lose to a team, and it was their tank that took out 4 of your toons.

5s of the ancient times?
  • If your taunting tank can be mitigated by fracture or isolate, it is likely to die last