Question on leveling up now vs. later.

Currently I have been hoarding credits and training droids seeing as they are getting harder to get and I wasnt quite sure of my squads (I am also F2P).

I now have 10.5 million credits, I have over 2500 training droids (over 1500 2* alone) and my top 10 toons are level 63 right now. I can easily max out some of them to level 70 or I can bring up all 10 as high as I can get them.

Why 10? Well I never placed a high priority on Arena and my 21K power squad is normally around rank 400 at the end of the day and drops back to 600 by morning. My top 10 allow me to finish GW more often than not unless I hit the level 70 max gear death squads. Even those are getting a little better on my end as I can at least pass that level for one more chest before dying off.

I have been trying to keep GW my priority in order to level up my top squad. I just got Lumi to 6* last night. I wouldnt mind getting Phasma and Poggle to 6* next (both are 5*). I even have a 5* RP that I use quite a lot so there are 3 toons that I use a lot where GW is the best option for farming. I would then work on finishing them off to 7*.

I am worried if I level up my top squads GW will get impossible. My original plan was to star up my top 10 team and then pick 5 to level to 70 to go for Arena rankings. I can now easily level them but I only have a 6* Sid and Lumi as my main two with the rest at 5* as I work on farming them.

So any benefit to leveling now vs. holding off as originally planned?

Replies

• I've been doing something similar to keep my GW easy. I've just been slowly gearing and leveling up my arena team and watching the difficulty of GW. I've also done some work on my 'B' team, so my suicide squads can actually take out a toon or two.

The only reason I can think to level them up would be to consistently get to a higher prize tier in arena.
  • That is exactly what I am doing, I want my B and to a point, even my C team to have enough power and health to take out or at least put some damage on a toon or two in GW since that is where the most credits are as well as those purple mats. Plus until my GW toons are maxed I need those credits and shards!

I guess I will just stay with it. Once I get my GW toons where I want I can then max out them all and have a go at Arena ranking. I have plenty of fun playing in the 400-500 range in Arena and I still get enough credits to farm my Arena toons once or twice a day.
  • The GW matching formula is unknown. You're sacrificing arena rank for likely misinformation.

Myself, I've not been holding back on powering up my squad. So far GW is still too easy. All at level 70, 3/5 7*, one 6* and a 4* daka. Total power 23350.

I've been leveling and starring them for a week with about a 3 k change in power. Been maintaining 50-199 arena rank. So far GW had been a cake walk. Sure the hammer *might* fall, but it might not also.
  • Hauzer
    147 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    There's a million theories on GW difficulty

Last word from devs is it's based on highest squad power you've ever won a match in Arena with

If you insist on playing in fear, maybe just throw a really weak character in your arena squad to keep your power level down rather than neutering your whole roster

Having played on multiple accounts, I find GW to be extremely random no matter what the case... Anywhere from 15 +/- levels difference, outrageous power differences, balanced etc., sometimes for stretches of days at a time
  • The reddit thread was from a supposed developer at EA that stated that GW was 1) based on max squad power when you had your highest Arena rank ever and 2) wonky with match-ups and they were working on it.

I do get the big kill squads now and then, if you havent you're lucky. I know just a few days ago I ran into this which is a definite hammer even to my A & B teams! There is no way I should be seeing this squad with a level 62, 400 rank and at the time, 19,800 power A team squad.

I would love to have this team and it was Very effective!

B7pvJ88l.png
  • Hauzer wrote: »

Last word from devs is it's based on highest squad power you've ever won a match in Arena with

If you insist on playing in fear, maybe just throw a really weak character in your arena squad to keep your power level down rather than neutering your whole roster

Having played on multiple accounts, I find GW to be extremely random no matter what the case... Anywhere from 15 +/- levels difference, outrageous power differences, balanced etc., sometimes for stretches of days at a time

Hmmm, I like that idea of one weak guy on my team to keep my power around 20K. I should be able to maintain rank as well. I have quite a few low guys I never bothered to develop.
  • ASD_Dad wrote: »
    Hauzer wrote: »

Hmmm, I like that idea of one weak guy on my team to keep my power around 20K. I should be able to maintain rank as well. I have quite a few low guys I never bothered to develop.

Well thats not how the dev said it works. He said is was your highest ever squad power win. So changing a weak character in shouldn't solve the problem, only make it harder for yourself to beat the opponent in the arena.
  • ASD_Dad wrote: »
    The reddit thread was from a supposed developer at EA that stated that GW was 1) based on max squad power when you had your highest Arena rank ever and 2) wonky with match-ups and they were working on it.

I do get the big kill squads now and then, if you havent you're lucky. I know just a few days ago I ran into this which is a definite hammer even to my A & B teams! There is no way I should be seeing this squad with a level 62, 400 rank and at the time, 19,800 power A team squad.

I would love to have this team and it was Very effective!

B7pvJ88l.png

That same guy was 100% wrong the first time he posted on Reddit how GW works so take anything read on a non-official site with a big grain of salt.

John Salera from CG acknowledged that I'm not a Jedi was indeed a developer but anything he does on Reddit is of his own initiative and not official and therefore may be wrong, as was the case with his original GW post.
    Ally Code: 945-699-762
  • Hauzer
    147 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Glen8240 wrote: »
    ASD_Dad wrote: »
    Hauzer wrote: »

Well thats not how the dev said it works. He said is was your highest ever squad power win. So changing a weak character in shouldn't solve the problem, only make it harder for yourself to beat the opponent in the arena.

That IS how he said it works... He's talking about preventing it from getting harder, not reverting to make it get easier than it currently is

Not that I suggest doing that, or limiting/changing how you play in any way based on what may or may not affect GW matching

But if you must, I think that is better than limiting all your characters
  • Qleak wrote: »
    Myself, I've not been holding back on powering up my squad. So far GW is still too easy. All at level 70, 3/5 7*, one 6* and a 4* daka. Total power 23350.
    I've taken mine from ~22k to ~25k in the past week or so and it seems like the teams are a bit higher power, but I haven't had any more problems with them. I can get below 200 but can't stay there.

I did rank myself up from 400 down to 200 after that thread came out where they said that rank has nothing to do with it. That didn't seem to make any difference.

Keep in mind that if you don't upgrade your squad that it will get harder and harder to maintain your rank.

• While I am not saying definitively, but from my experience before you reset GW... Go to arena throw out highest levels and most powerful ... Through together a team and win one. I think that's why you get 5 chances. 3 to come up with a win 2 to make your move... Once you win with a weaker squad in arena restart GW and at least for me it's made it so much easier. And I haven't slipped in arena. Steady top 200-300 and holding. Occasionally for a day I will drop some but I get right back up.

Of late however I have not had to drop in as many weaker characters and still make it fine. My top 10 characters have all made 5* at minimum. And the suicide squads are all level 60. I usually get one kill with them plus sponge their specials. And I can mount at least 3 full suicide squads with an a team and b team.
  • So if you did level all the way to 70, you'd be afraid of 70 7* fully synergized gear teams instead of 70 4* fully synergized crap gear teams? I think you need to think more positively about your team capabilities, level up to properly, and occasionally use throw-away teams when you encounter those tough GW teams. Sometimes you get some bad luck in GW, but overall you'll have a much stronger squad if you level up to 70.