Marquees and Jango Fett [MEGA THREAD]

Replies

• Monel wrote: »
    VonZant wrote: »
    They keep releasing gobs of content and toons that will eventually become free. Why would people complain about this? I dont understand.

Because they it them now and dont want to wait while someone else spends money to get it now. It's the everyone should be able to get the same stuff argument. And the forums make it easy to complain.

Everything in life works this way. Companies sell things to stay in business. If they didnt make money they would close up shop and not sell things anymore. I agree that EA makes a ton of money. But each game is a separate business that has it's own profit margin that it needs to meet. So if SWGOH sees a decline EA cuts their budget. A budget cut would mean less content and developers.

They have to create a steady source of income to not only justify that amount of work they put into this but also to keep their jobs for said work.

In every other aspect of life I know that if I want something out of my price range I either need to save money, wait for it go on sale or I just dont get it. The great thing about this game is the worst case scenario is just waiting.

Never once have I gone into a store and complained to the staff that someone else was able to get something that i couldn't afford.

It's also because the Marquee system was cool to start with, but became momotonous very quickly. It's just boring to have all your new characters to be released in the same redundant manner without anything to make it interesting.
  • Come on @CG_Carrie, a statement for all disenchanted players out there? Something strong and meaningful...
  • You guys complain about everything.
  • At least marquees let everyone play with the new toys. I’m personally am happy with the CGs communication Just don’t let the CG Nerf loose. Nothing worse then paying for something and having someone strip it away from you
  • Ultra
    11452 posts Moderator
    edited September 2018
    Ultra wrote: »
    Makes absolutely no sense to not tell everyone he was going to be marquee when his kit was revealed. Devs are just trying to **** everyone off.
    They literally told you 2 hours after the kit reveal :/

My point is they've known jango was a toon that alot of people wanted. They've also acknowledged that some of the player base is upset with marquees. They could have got out in front of this and told everybody when they posted the teaser that the new toon would be marquee.

They should have delayed someone like Jango (and when i say someone like Jango, I mean fan favourite) for a 2 or 3 weeks and release him as legendary.
    Ultra wrote: »
    Makes absolutely no sense to not tell everyone he was going to be marquee when his kit was revealed. Devs are just trying to **** everyone off.
    They literally told you 2 hours after the kit reveal :/

Maybe you dont think he should be legendary because he is not your type of character but imagine if they released jedi luke as marquee because it was allready on schedule as a marquee. Would that be good enough explaination for you
    There isn't any character that I feel too strongly about that should require a certain release structure. As long as the kit is good and true to the character (and fun!). I love Darth Nihilus, and he was a marquee. I love Darth Sion and he was a marquee. KOTOR II's protagonist can be a marquee or a raid toon and I wouldn't complain either way as long as its Free-to-play at the end of the day. Mother Talzin and Wicket had a special release structure that was more premium and it was awful. Imagine if that's how they released Jango just so he isn't marquee. Darth Vader had a very premium unlocking feature (Achievements) and, so did Baze Malbus, Chirrut Imwe and ShoreTrooper (SQUAD TOURNAMENTS) -- Two no name toons that were given premium unlocking conditions. I think highly popular characters deserve a premium unlock but its fine if they don't (Sion, Nihilus, Jango). Its the reverse that I would complain about (Droideka's getting legendary release for example). Shoretrooper and Baze, and chirrut being premium unlocks is very weird given how highly competitive it was to unlock them.

I think when they introduced quests, they missed an opportunity for a unique character unlock similar to Darth Vader

People are complaining that Jango is marquee but were open to the idea of Jango Fett being a new Territory Battle reward similar to ROLO.

Lets take a minute and consider that option,

New TB = high difficulty for special mission (G12+ and 6 dot mods would be recommended for that new TB.)
    Most guilds won't be able to do 100/100 shards. You get 2 TBs per month. A third TB would be rotating every 1.5 months. Even if you do a perfect score, you would need to do 4 TBs of Jango to get 330 shards to boost him to 7 stars. Then there are bugs, and other issues of a new TB. That is at least 4 months of TB on the bare minimum. Not that different from marquees.

I will admit I do think no name characters like Shore or Baze shouldn't have a premium status for unlocking but the reverse is fine. Premium characters like Nihilus, Sion and the likes being marquee or not doesn't matter. To me, the kit is more important.

I don't have an issue if Jango was legendary. Do I think he's the hype people make him out to be? No but I do see the love that the community has for him and wouldn't be strongly opposed to it or complain about him being legendary.

His kit is spot-on
  • Nori703 wrote: »
    Do you know what worst part about this is? They dont care what we think about it

I rarely comment but that’s just **** man.
    CG Crumb didn’t have to post but he did. This game makes enough money they could completely ignore these forums and it wouldn’t impact their bottom line.

I’m not a CG apologist but to me, they have been very open in sharing a lot of their thought process around marquees, as well as addressing other matters.

Im not the biggest fan of the way they have been releasing toons, but I feel pretty good with the information they have relayed to the community and I have a better understanding of why the flood of marquees- because, I’m my opinion - they cared enough to share some insight.

You're right, they can just ignore the forums, like they've been doing. And no, they're not open about anything in their own **** forums. They just dump a post on here and then run back to Reddit. Well guess what, we shouldn't have to go to Reddit to find out about their **** game when they have their own forums. Which, by the way, has a link inside their game to bring you here, not Reddit.
    #ReworkCaptialGamesPeopleSkills #StopIgnoringUsCG #CGCustomerSkillsWeakerThanAnakinsPowerAgainstTheHighGround
  • I just can't believe that a fan favorite character like jango that everyone is so excited about is another marquee
  • I understand that marquee change can't happen quickly, buttttttt why hype up Jango like he was gonna be a unique event? By the way I love the mysterious pixel picture you guys did. It really hypes up people of what it could be. Hope this becomes a regular little game with the community!
  • masternikolaos
    101 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    This point has been mentioned by others before, but before Marquees, getting a new character to 7-Stars, especially a worthwhile one, was a very pricey afair as there was no guarantee that character would EVER become F2P. At least with marquees, if one must spend, $110 or so dollars will get the character to 7-Stars once they go into shipments ($9.99 pack and a vault and a bit of patience) within a relatively short period, and there is comfort in knowing the character will eventually make it to the board and be F2P. In that regard, I prefer the marquee system. Those of us who spend a little here and there but not often enough to be classed as whales can live with that once in a while to keep the game going and get what we want faster.

However, the main problem with marquees is that there are now SO MANY of them coming out so regularly and generally not going into the easier farm locations that it’s rather overwhelming to consider just how long it will take to max a character, let alone a ton of new ones. Not to mention, waiting 6 months to get a character to 7-Stars, then many more months to fully gear and zeta, with so many options is a mega grind. The gear grind, I understand. It’s the way this kind of freemium game works. But gear AND forever hard node farms is not sustainable in my opinion. The GW, arena, and cantina stores SHOULD get new characters in them. Period. Save some of the very best for hard nodes to keep them from being spammed by everyone (Nest, as annoying as her farm will be), and put those iconic characters we all want into Legendary or Heroes Journey events, NOT a marquee...

Ultimately, it’s was clear since a long time ago that players wanted Jango to be a Legendary character (even though the way things are getting him to 7-stars will probably be easier/cheaper the marquee way). In that sense, CG has missed the mark. If the system was different, like a legendary event with bounty hunters required a la GMY or Palpatine, not only would that strongly encourage people to change up their pace and go after/explore a now worthy/fresh faction, but it would also provide choice with a good mix of easily accessible F2P bounty hunters, and more viable harder to farm ones that would be more of an ultimate goal because maybe they were in the guild store or fleet store vs GW store for instance.
  • How boring and unimaginative. I mean...what else did we expect? Why do we keep referring to CG when we really know who’s boss? CG are simply pawns to EA.
  • I can't believe people are so upset they are finally getting a toon they've been asking for for so long... who cares how he is released? At least he doesn't seem like he'll be trash.
  • JerryHello
    206 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    Monel wrote: »
    VonZant wrote: »
    They keep releasing gobs of content and toons that will eventually become free. Why would people complain about this? I dont understand.

Because they it them now and dont want to wait while someone else spends money to get it now. It's the everyone should be able to get the same stuff argument. And the forums make it easy to complain.

Everything in life works this way. Companies sell things to stay in business. If they didnt make money they would close up shop and not sell things anymore. I agree that EA makes a ton of money. But each game is a separate business that has it's own profit margin that it needs to meet. So if SWGOH sees a decline EA cuts their budget. A budget cut would mean less content and developers.

They have to create a steady source of income to not only justify that amount of work they put into this but also to keep their jobs for said work.

Sorry but a completely irrelevant argumant there. They make plenty of money and more importantly there are an obscene amount of other f2p games on mobile/pc/console that are for more successful and bring in far greater profits than this game without pulling the stuff they pull. And a lot of them are far more complex, require more resources and offer a lot more playable content. Fortnite broke $1 billion in revenue in July after going to a f2p model and the in-game loot that can bought doesn't even give players an advantage over other players (like in this game). Candy Crush, Clash of Clans, Fire Emblem Heroes, Pokemon Go, Fortnite, Warframe, Hearth Stone, Heroes of the Storm, League of Legends, Dota 2 etc all do quite well and are far more accessible to players than this game. So tell me how are those games so successful and how do they make so much money without resorting to money grabs like this game does? I'm sorry but it all comes down to greed. Look what EA did with Battlefront 2, look at how every other major gaming company complied with new EU regulations except for EA (and now they may be facing criminal investigation as a result). Not for anything but EA wasn't voted the worst company in the US two years in a row for no reason. They're renowned for being greedy and for screwing players.

*Also gobs of content is a bit of a stretch. Releasing content that can only be completed once doesn't really count nor does releasing content that is broken and refusing to address it. It's not like they are pumping out new raids, cantina/dark side/light side nodes, TWs/TBs or brand new types of events. Like c'mon big deal they released a marquee that can be auto battled and completed in 10 minutes and than never done again. That's not exactly an abundant amount of time dedicated to coding for them and they don't have to do character or story development, so no excuse for the oh so many issues in this game...And for that matter anyone who knows programming can tell you that this game isn't a hard game to code for. Its pretty basic.
  • A marquee? Seriously again? .... i am so dissapointed.

• CG_SBCrumb wrote: »

In the meantime, stay tuned for our next character reveal. It’s not a Marquee…

Not a Marquee? So straight to Hard Node, eh? :p

• PapiLongLegs
    46 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    New character reveal shoyld come put in about 12-16 hours from now. Fogured I would keep the speculatuon train running. It was upsetting to see Jango as a marquee but it makes sense if Boba isnt special either. Although i was kinda dissapointed I then got very excited knowing the next character has to be someone special. At this point it seems to be undebatably a Bounty Hunter due to the most recent forum title. I believe we will get Durge. In the second image it looks similar to the Durge from the the CW TV series(cartoon). With Jango being a very good lead being able to kind of beat Traya teams I think Durge will be the one to wrap it up. Durge in lore is an unstoppable BH killing many Jedi, Sith and mandalorians. You guys have any thoughts on who it might be?
    Post edited by PapiLongLegs on
  • Did all of you miss them saying the next character won't be Marquee? Holy cow people just be patient.
  • Really the only issue I have is all the hard node farms. My ships suck I won’t even be able to work on nest until next year. Thankfully my sion farm was decently quick but that’s because there was more than a single node. Double up toons add ships and more levels to the normal and cantina pve tables. Add some more actual content and achievement to the game. The anticipation of Sith Raid was awesome when it released and then received nerf after nerf. The raid isn’t fun anymore if it ever was. I’ve had all the nodes beaten for over a year I’d like more nodes for my toons so I didn’t just have to sim multiple times a day. I like actually engaging in the game with my guild and with the community. The fact that jango is a marquee doesn’t actually matter. It’s how you treat him after the event. He seems disgustingly OP so I understand him being a hard node farm but make him a multiple hard node farm. The Star Wars universe is gigantic and there’s so many legendary toons that don’t need legendary events. Just make the game more enjoyable and engaging. That’s all I can really ask. I appreciate your effort over the summer but the winter is coming and I hope you can weather the cold.
  • I am writing this here per the request of the EA help Desk. I want to start off by saying that generally I think the communication between the developers and the player base is excellent. I really appreciate the transparency and openness into your world as developers. I think this awesome. Here comes the "but"... the communication with us in anticipation of the most recent character release (in this case Jango Fett but that's largely irrelevant) was deceptive and opaque and I will give a few brief reasons, from a player's perspective, on why many were upset with how this played out.

First. A few weeks ago we were notified via blog post that you all were starting to see "fatigue" in the data surrounding marquee characters. People were not buying them at the same frequency that they were when this model first came out, essentially. The post then acknowledged that this was a mistake and more release types should have been interspersed between marquees so as to prevent this fatigue. This was all great news to the players as this is something we have all largely known about for quite some time now. It's no secret anymore that marquees aren't a fan favorite. Reading this post was exciting. I would argue that most agree with that sentiment. Yay! The post ended with the news that several legendary characters would be released in the coming months and that we would no longer have that long of a run of marquee characters anymore. Double yay!

Second. a subsequent blog post was released shortly thereafter that showed a pixelated image and the date 9/12/18 and nothing more. This was a carrot on a stick. A nudge that was steering the player base in the direction of change. We had never seen a post like this before and I believe it was meant to incite curiosity and awe. It did its job well if that was the case. Things are changing! Who could this be?

Third. In other forums (I believe Reddit) you all dangled another carrot by announcing that in anticipation of the new characters you would be lengthening the attempts on hard nodes to help us prepare for when the time came. We were given clues "hint hint" was even used in the text and we were told we were pretty smart. Thanks Capital Games! :) This was all music to our ears. Morale is high.

Fourth. Another blog post a few days later showed another pixelated image, but slightly less blurry. A far cry from business as usual. What should we expect for 9/12? Is it Jango?! I hope so!!

...and then today happened. All of the morale that was built from the aforementioned posts was crushed. If it was your intention all along to have Jango be a marqee character then why all the charades? To many, this felt like it was one of two things. Purposeful or incompetent. Neither outcomes show you in a good light. We would have been much happier with Jango Fett (He is freaking awesome btw) if we weren't taken on this ride. This had nothing to do with being a marquee character and everything to do with feeling betrayed, frankly.

I love that you all are so open to dialogue and that closeness to the player base is a priority but I think you guys really dropped the ball here. If the business decision is made to be this transparent please build rapport and trust rather than dangle carrots on a string. This was upsetting for that reason... not because Jango was a marquee character. I hope this is read by the right people. I love this game and this company, that's why I felt compelled to reach out. Cheers.
  • Not defending marquees, just genuinely curious. Would everyone rather they were released like Talzin and Wicket were?
  • This has to be the most disappointing news in awhile I like the extra rewards but dang man jango is such a huge character in Star Wars should be at least a legendary event..... get you stuff together
  • Sunnie1978 wrote: »
    DEV POST
    CG_SBCrumb wrote: »

Hi folks,

We revealed Jango Fett’s kit today and we wanted to put the speculation about his event to rest.

Jango Fett will be introduced as a Marquee event with some additional tiers and rewards. While it is at its core a Marquee, the extra Tiers reward some of the most sought after gear, such as Carbantis, and Mod Slicing salvage if you are level 50+.

As Carrie has discussed previously, we are working to change the upcoming schedule so there aren’t as many Marquees, but this isn’t something that can happen over night. We’ve rearranged our schedule to earlier introduce some characters through other event types so we can break up the Marquee cadence.

DEV POST
    Sunnie1978 wrote: »
    DEV POST
    CG_SBCrumb wrote: »

Hi folks,

We revealed Jango Fett’s kit today and we wanted to put the speculation about his event to rest.

Jango Fett will be introduced as a Marquee event with some additional tiers and rewards. While it is at its core a Marquee, the extra Tiers reward some of the most sought after gear, such as Carbantis, and Mod Slicing salvage if you are level 50+.

As Carrie has discussed previously, we are working to change the upcoming schedule so there aren’t as many Marquees, but this isn’t something that can happen over night. We’ve rearranged our schedule to earlier introduce some characters through other event types so we can break up the Marquee cadence.

DEV POST

• So disappointing really starting to loose interest in this game
  • Garbage. Here’s a new squad, they’re great but you can’t have them at high stars, which is needed for where they’re needed the most(HSR), for a year, unless you pay for them, which would be OVER A THOUSAND DOLLARS.

If you buy the $10 bundle and then buy crystals to get the packs that give a random number of shards, it’s a little over $400 if you get the minimum every single time. Chances are it will cost around $300 to 7* a marquee character. It IS too expensive, but it’s not over $1,000. Also, having them at 3* is frequently enough to do really well in PVP. Look at Bastila and Enfys. They won’t be ready for heroic raids for a long time, but personally, i’d Rather they give us a 3* for free with the potential to buy more. The alternative is likely to give most of us nothing, and let the whales buy the characters.
  • Just another point. Last time they tried something other than a marquee (Talzin), this forum threw an epic tantrum. We taught them that marquees are the path of least resistance, if they don't want to just hand a toon over.
  • So many whiners. Switch games if you don't like it. I'm f2p and love the game. Such children.
  • Do you know the legend of Darth Greedus ? It's not a story EA is likely to tell you. Darth Greedus was a Hutt so greedy and so out of touch with his community, he could stop even the krakens from paying for his game.
  • The title was about jango. They just tried to get some hype.
  • To each their own, but I still don't get this. He was a lackluster character in the franchise. His claims to fame are being the genetic prototype for the clones and mace windu cutting his head off. You can bring up whatever extended stuff you want, but those are the two biggest things about him. Not legendary imho, but as I said just my opinion.
  • RufusDogbreath
    233 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    I think CG gets the message. On the bright side, we are getting Jango and the next new toon will be a legendary.* Personally, I’m F2P and looking forward to tomorrow

* Edit: or at least not a marquee
    I am the jedi dog battle droid C-3PO could not kill.
  • Ephran wrote: »
    Did all of you miss them saying the next character won't be Marquee? Holy cow people just be patient.

haha, and how many times had CG told something and had done something completely different?

also they havn´t written that it will be a legendary... so better expect the next toon as a "talzin" or "wicket" release
This discussion has been closed.