Marquees and Jango Fett [MEGA THREAD]

Replies

• Edison wrote: »
    Ravens1113 wrote: »

We know they’ve said that. However that doesn’t mean that’s the right choice for the overall health of the game. Most people have boards of GW currency. Release a character that may be needed for a legendary there but isn’t meta defining. Takes 1 massive farm off.

You and I don't disagree, at all. I've been posting in this thread, specifically, about ways to try to fix a lot of these issues that are out there today, because there's a lot of them. The way the OP mentioned "They haven't released a character in those shops in forever" I just thought I'd mention that they came out and said they wouldn't. Meant entirely as informative, and not at all as if I support the decision. The exact opposite, in fact, that earlier I was saying that one thing that would make this Marquee cadence better is if some of those characters dropped into shops again.

Also sidebar, is your screen name referencing the Baltimore Ravens? Because I'm a Baltimore guy, excited about the game tonight, and Go Ravens!

Indeed it is lol. But my excitement quIcily turned into utter disgust. Terrible management by Harbaugh and Co., not to mention the maddening decision to evenly split work between Collins and allen, even though Collins is their best weapon. Terrible
  • Palanthian wrote: »
    CG have heard that "we" don't like marquees. I'm concerned that only the most vocal critics are being heard here.

I'm not FTP, so there's another reason to shout me down, but my perspective is just as important. I actually find the marquee release cadence to be something that works fairly well. I hardly ever buy the whale packs, I tend to wait the 4-6 weeks until the character appears in shipments, and this frequently occurs around the 4 week mark.

This makes characters significantly easier and quicker to obtain than they were in the old days before a release cadence was established, or even earlier when we were forced to participate in tournaments, or when we were paying double the shipment price via Aurodiums, or when we just had to try our luck with the dreaded Chromiums.

A lot of people are forgetting just how bad things used to be, in 2016 I was ranting on these forums every week. This May I returned to SWGOH, after a 9 month break, to find a much more reasonable and predictable business model, and I no longer feel like I'm being unfairly manipulated or exploited.

@CG_Carrie is honestly a breath of fresh air, I think a lot of players have either forgotten how this game used to be run or were not here to experience it first-hand.

Regarding Legendary and Hero's Journey events, why are these supposedly more FTP friendly? I don't remember anyone rejoicing about how easy or inexpensive it was to farm Phoenix for Thrawn, or to farm the Vets for JTR. How are these preferable or easier to obtain?

My arena's top 20 has several FTP (or virtually) 3* and 4* Bastilas taking down the top whale Traya teams, would that have been possible without putting her in a ... marquee?

TL;DR:

Be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it. Marquees are, to date, the most whale + dolphin + FTP friendly character release solution CG have come up with. The only mistake they've made is to release too many in a row, without something different to break them up - and they've vocally acknowledged that.

I dread the end of the marquee system, long may it continue.

You really think we don't know that's you Carrie?
  • Blackrazor wrote: »
    Ruark_Icefire asked:
    How is he a huge character? He showed up for like 10 mins and then died.

He is the main antagonist of a Lucas-era film. He has more screen time, action sequences, and dialogue than either Darth Maul or Sidious in the first prequel films, and he has been the subject of multiple secondary stories (in comics and novellas). However, he is the driving plot device of Episode II, appearing as the person who gives Zam her assignment (which pushes the plot), provides the clue to the Jedi investigation, acts as the primogenitor of the clone army, has multiple combat sequences (on Kamino, Genesis, in ship-to-ship combat), and appears to be a general badass capable of gunning down Jedi other than masters like Mace Windu (head of the Jedi Order at that time).

Even though Attack of the Clones is a fairly mediocre entry into the film franchise, it was still a big budget film, and he was the main source of conflict for the protagonists throughout. Darth Traya is a minor figure in a decade-old video game and she's harder to acquire.

I think you are over emphasizing his role. Main antagonist? He was the middle man at best.

I was curious so I looked up the script and counted and Jango has a grand total of 16 lines of dialog with around half of them being 4 words or less.

Not really legendary material imo.

What does that make Chewbacca then? Or R2? How many "lines of dialogue" have they got?!

I don't think Jango is legendary either, just suggesting the criteria would be more complicated than lines of dialogue.

R2 is in 9 movies. And is actually useful through most of them

Plus R2 never shuts up.
  • Blackrazor wrote: »
    Ruark_Icefire asked:
    How is he a huge character? He showed up for like 10 mins and then died.

He is the main antagonist of a Lucas-era film. He has more screen time, action sequences, and dialogue than either Darth Maul or Sidious in the first prequel films, and he has been the subject of multiple secondary stories (in comics and novellas). However, he is the driving plot device of Episode II, appearing as the person who gives Zam her assignment (which pushes the plot), provides the clue to the Jedi investigation, acts as the primogenitor of the clone army, has multiple combat sequences (on Kamino, Genesis, in ship-to-ship combat), and appears to be a general badass capable of gunning down Jedi other than masters like Mace Windu (head of the Jedi Order at that time).

Even though Attack of the Clones is a fairly mediocre entry into the film franchise, it was still a big budget film, and he was the main source of conflict for the protagonists throughout. Darth Traya is a minor figure in a decade-old video game and she's harder to acquire.

I think you are over emphasizing his role. Main antagonist? He was the middle man at best.

I was curious so I looked up the script and counted and Jango has a grand total of 16 lines of dialog with around half of them being 4 words or less.

Not really legendary material imo.

What does that make Chewbacca then? Or R2? How many "lines of dialogue" have they got?!

I don't think Jango is legendary either, just suggesting the criteria would be more complicated than lines of dialogue.

R2 is in 9 movies. And is actually useful through most of them

9movies, talks a lot, And also in the entire clone wars series, Anakin goes out of his way to help R2 in multiple episodes of that. Series, games, Movies, ect. R2 is everywhere and does a LOT and is the reason most of our story progresses, he's like the only character that actually deserves the title Legendary out of every legendary we have, lol. Rey only has a hero's Journey I bet cause CG wanted money off people, R2 should be a hero's Journey compared to her.

Jango was behind all the clones, ie, the entire storm-trooper army, they all get their skills from him. All our clones came from him. All the skills and quips and stuff originates from Jango. He must be one crazy good guy. Course Clone troopers were better aims then Storm-troopers, lol. But anyway, he was a very well known Bounty Hunter, and a massive fan favourite, Thrawn and such is delegated to a series that many people have not watched, someone like me had no idea who he was or that he even existed until this game. He's a legendary, Why not Jango?

My guess is money, They could have easily changed it (lol at them saying "can't happen overnight" yeah cause delaying the release of a character to change how they get released is hard) to something more fitting, like a bounty hunter hunt to get him, didn't even have to be a legendary event, coulda been something cool and different. But that wouldn't get them cash. In the end, what they do is all about milking whales, no matter what we say~
  • I want more marquees
  • Jango’s release could and should have been legendary. This was CG/EAs chance to tell the story of Sidious and Dooku’s journey to find the perfect template.

Sidious and Dooku could have faced off against waves of baddies until they found the perfect bounty hunter, Jango. Just for S&Gs, Nute Gunray, Sun Fac and a B2 Battle Droid could have joined the fight to make a separatist event into a Legendary. But why do something cool like that when they can just let you buy Jango?

And oh goodie, he comes with mod salvage. I think the player base thought CG meant Stun Guns and other items to assist in gearing him up. Nope, mod salvage.
  • Jango’s release could and should have been legendary. This was CG/EAs chance to tell the story of Sidious and Dooku’s journey to find the perfect template.

Sidious and Dooku could have faced off against waves of baddies until they found the perfect bounty hunter, Jango. Just for S&Gs, Nute Gunray, Sun Fac and a B2 Battle Droid could have joined the fight to make a separatist event into a Legendary. But why do something cool like that when they can just let you buy Jango?

And oh goodie, he comes with mod salvage. I think the player base thought CG meant Stun Guns and other items to assist in gearing him up. Nope, mod salvage.

Well @CG_SBCrumb said that there would at least be carbantis...but I don’t see that anywhere in the rewards...perhaps the devs overlooked this because if that’s not in the reward bundle people are going to be miffed.
  • anyone know if there is a depixalized version of the jango fett picture?
    That's not a legendary you're describing.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Spent money to get Bossk to 7*, aggressively geared all my BH's up in preparation for finally a legendary Jango.

Then whomp-whooooomp.

Add me to the camp of folks not buying that the devs had no choice but to make this a Marquee. I did my part to contribute to their bottom line and got a luke-warm burger at Wendy's for my trouble.
  • anyone know if there is a depixalized version of the jango fett picture?

Yep. Rumours are it'll be released via a legendary event.
  • USAFmedic129
    1538 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    NicWester wrote: »
    Jango’s release could and should have been legendary. This was CG/EAs chance to tell the story of Sidious and Dooku’s journey to find the perfect template.
    That's not a legendary you're describing.

Actually yes it is. Similar to Thrawn, phase 1 fight a series of Jedi and introduced Syfo Dias based on the Clone Wars model, phase 2 fight thugs and random bounty hunters, phase 3 fight named bounty hunters, phase 4 fight Clone Wars Bounty Hunters and Jango to earn him.

Backgrounds could have been Nal Hutta, and other made up worlds and the last battle been the moon of Bogden.

Pretty much tells the story of his recruitment in 4 phases. Each phase unlocks shards exactly like every other legendary.
  • Don't see any carbs on the possible rewards in game for his event.
  • Actually yes it is. Similar to Thrawn, phase 1 fight a series of Jedi and introduced Syfo Dias based on the Clone Wars model, phase 2 fight thugs and random bounty hunters, phase 3 fight named bounty hunters, phase 4 fight Clone Wars Bounty Hunters and Jango to earn him.

Pretty much tells the story of his recruitment in 4 phases. Each phase unlocks shards exactly like every other legendary.

You’re describing a hero’s journey.

A legendary event requires characters from one faction, but you can use any character of that faction. Requiring specific characters for specific stages of the event is a hero’s journey.
    CG have heard that "we" don't like marquees. I'm concerned that only the most vocal critics are being heard here.

I'm not FTP, so there's another reason to shout me down, but my perspective is just as important. I actually find the marquee release cadence to be something that works fairly well. I hardly ever buy the whale packs, I tend to wait the 4-6 weeks until the character appears in shipments, and this frequently occurs around the 4 week mark.

This makes characters significantly easier and quicker to obtain than they were in the old days before a release cadence was established, or even earlier when we were forced to participate in tournaments, or when we were paying double the shipment price via Aurodiums, or when we just had to try our luck with the dreaded Chromiums.

A lot of people are forgetting just how bad things used to be, in 2016 I was ranting on these forums every week. This May I returned to SWGOH, after a 9 month break, to find a much more reasonable and predictable business model, and I no longer feel like I'm being unfairly manipulated or exploited.

@CG_Carrie is honestly a breath of fresh air, I think a lot of players have either forgotten how this game used to be run or were not here to experience it first-hand.

Regarding Legendary and Hero's Journey events, why are these supposedly more FTP friendly? I don't remember anyone rejoicing about how easy or inexpensive it was to farm Phoenix for Thrawn, or to farm the Vets for JTR. How are these preferable or easier to obtain?

My arena's top 20 has several FTP (or virtually) 3* and 4* Bastilas taking down the top whale Traya teams, would that have been possible without putting her in a ... marquee?

TL;DR:

Be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it. Marquees are, to date, the most whale + dolphin + FTP friendly character release solution CG have come up with. The only mistake they've made is to release too many in a row, without something different to break them up - and they've vocally acknowledged that.

Yep totally agree or could be one of their PR people. What a joke

TL;DR:

Okay, Alex Jones, that's enough out of you. Tin foil is for your baked potato, not as headgear.
  • USAFmedic129
    1538 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    NicWester wrote: »
    Actually yes it is. Similar to Thrawn, phase 1 fight a series of Jedi and introduced Syfo Dias based on the Clone Wars model, phase 2 fight thugs and random bounty hunters, phase 3 fight named bounty hunters, phase 4 fight Clone Wars Bounty Hunters and Jango to earn him.

You’re describing a hero’s journey.

A legendary event requires characters from one faction, but you can use any character of that faction. Requiring specific characters for specific stages of the event is a hero’s journey.

Nic, you seem to have missed where I said allow all Separatists to make it a Legendary. Sidious has no Sep tag so it would need to be a Heroes Journey to have included him, so I corrected myself. 2nd paragraph.

However it would not make sense to have GG searching for Jango or Ventress, but W/E. Ugnaught and Ewoks fighting seps makes less sense but that is the nonsense pulled on us.
  • I'm 3k into swgh love bounty hunters I'm gonna rock jango too yummy
  • NicWester wrote: »
    Palanthian wrote: »

TL;DR:

Okay, Alex Jones, that's enough out of you. Tin foil is for your baked potato, not as headgear.

Lmao... I take it you didn't catch sarcasm :)
    Notice the WHAT A JOKE part at the end genius ;)

Although your comment was funnier than mine I give you that lol :)
  • EA_Cian
    971 posts EA Staff (retired)
    Let's reel it in with the snark, please. That includes calling folks "Alex Jones" - jokingly or not.
  • I really don't get the Jango love. He was in one movie. Four scenes..maybe five. Escaped a jedi, got tricked by a jedi, captured a jedi, got killed by a jedi. Not exactly a legendary resume. Just my opinion.
  • Darth Jar Jar is needed!
  • I saw a lot of R2 love earlier and wanted to chime in there as well... Totally legend worthy, where I saw a theory that the entire saga is told by R2 and recorded in the Journal of Whills... So effectively, without R2, there is not Star Wars :smiley:

That being said...there would be no clones without Jango...well, there would be and that guy would deserve the Legendary event instead. Mace pones him bad, but Mace also wrecked shop on Sideous, but doesn't get credit for being the baddest Jedi of his era (rework PLEASE) .

Jango is a big part of the Clone Wars and the lead in to Boba's stroyline was cool. Of the BH, is there anyone else more deserving of Legend Status? The man that IS a legend? Consider that the real person always falls short of the legend that precedes them. "Have a seat, and let me tell you of the legend of Jango Fett, the father of the clones."

Further more, I am okay with the Marquee for now...but my BH squad is saddened deeply.
  • NicWester wrote: »
    Palanthian wrote: »

TL;DR:

Lmao... I take it you didn't catch sarcasm :)
    Notice the WHAT A JOKE part at the end genius ;)

Although your comment was funnier than mine I give you that lol :)

Sorry, then. I read the “what a joke” at the bottom and assumed you were saying it like, “what a joke that they have schill accounts on here” and not “yeah, right, what a joke.”

Hard to tell sarcasm from sincerity sometimes!
  • Yay another marquee with a game breaking character designed to help in HSTR which 90% of the base can't do anyway. CG how about fix the stupid raid instead of releasing Toons to make it easier. Well at least for the whales anyway. All but 3 out of all the marquees we have gotten are gathering dust at the bottom of my roster not geared or leveled I don't even think I have bothered activating some..

I play another similar style game that has far more players and makes more money then this game and you know why? The highest item in their store is 20 bucks and most range from .99 to 4.99 and yet they gross more then this game with its crazy prices. They figured it out like a lot of other companies are if we make the prices affordable for the masses who our FTP they will probably buy and they did. That game has grossed over 200 million more then this game and it doesn't have Star Wars attached to its name.

To all those people saying "oh a company has to make money do you expect them to do it for free" . No we don't but then there is about 60 other games smashing this game in revenue and doing it in a way where FTP and PTP can remain competitive. So instead of cheerleading there backwards way of making money how about you encourage them to change to a better system that benefits all and not the current one that only benefits PTP.

This is the only game I have ever seen that purposefully bottle necks gear (stun guns) on players on purpose while those same players accumulate thousands of other pieces of useless gear used once or twice on a toon. Just about every other game of this type allows you to take unwanted gear and dismantle it and craft it into something you need. This game won't because they created the bottle neck on purpose to try and force people to spend to get through it. It's truly sad when in look at my roster and realize I need upwards of probably 5000 stun gun salvage counting the multiple ones needed on same toon. It is reprehensible and what is even more reprehensible is their is people actually on here defending them destroying this game like a run a way train going down a dead end.

Jango meh....big deal gets his head cut off by Windu who completely sucks in this game but Jango has this ultimate kit. Truly ironic how stupid CG and EA are. What do you expect out of EA tho. It's par for course for them that's why now I play this game as an afterthought while I play other games that actually give you your money's worth and doesn't require you to take a mortgage out on your house to do so.
  • swgregoriou
    323 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    Jango’s release could and should have been legendary. This was CG/EAs chance to tell the story of Sidious and Dooku’s journey to find the perfect template.

I dont agree at all. I dont think jango is legendary worthy at all.... I thought Bastila should have been, but not Jango. He is in the movie for five seconds.
  • Gorem
    1190 posts Member
    edited September 2018

I dont agree at all. I dont think jango is legendary worthy at all.... I thought Bastila should have been, but not Jango. He is in the movie for five seconds.

He's in the movie for a lot longer then that, or did you forget Kamino? Or the ship chase? Don't forget he fought Obi-Wan, This is like selectively choosing to only remember that part of that one movie, instead of all actual appearances, and that's not even including the fact that he's the MASTER clone, Look at all the clones, ALL of their skills he has since they all originated from him.

Or the other info we have on him outside the movie. But just the fact that the entire Empire exists because of him, is quite "big".

The thing people forget is that Mace Windu is freaking awesome. If anyone could take out Jango HE especially could. The fact that it took a super jedi to beat him is also something.

I mean, regardless of the fact that in this game Mace Windu is one of the worst characters...
  • Yay thanks god its a Marquee event.
  • Gorem
    1190 posts Member
    Ok these upgraded marque events can stay, I wish they were all always like this, lol
  • Gorem wrote: »
    Ok these upgraded marque events can stay, I wish they were all always like this, lol

A Marquee marquee if you will.
This discussion has been closed.