What to do with excess gear?

Hello again,

So we have the ability to sell mods and turn excess shards into shard currency. What about all the excess gear we have? Should there not be a way to sell the gear or convert it into a currency?

I know many players will have thousands of the same gear just sitting there being useless. Even if it is low level. I think the same goes for training droids, I know some members of my guild have complained about having far too many training droids, though I don’t have that problem yet.

Feedback? Thoughts? Discussion?

Lib

Replies

• At game launch, we were able to sell excess gear.

I don't remember the reasoning behind taking it away, though.
  • jkray622 wrote: »
    At game launch, we were able to sell excess gear.

Because people sold a bunch they didn't realize they would need down the road and started complaining.....
  • BubbaFett wrote: »
    Because people sold a bunch they didn't realize they would need down the road and started complaining.....

I can see why at the beginning of the game this would have caused frustration with no guides on what to do and what not to do, however, we’re three years in nearly and there is plenty of information out there. Would you not like to be able to get rid of excess gear you have no use for?
    jkray622 wrote: »
    At game launch, we were able to sell excess gear.

This is correct. The devs have used this a few times as reasoning for not giving us a way to sell gear. It's also just darn lazy.

It would not be hard for them to restrict access to a gear-selling feature to, say, only level 85 players, or players who have acquired 2000 pieces of a single gear type, or players who have taken a character to g12. Any one of those options would probably do the job of restricting players from selling gear until they have sufficient knowledge and experience to know which gear they use and need and which they don't.
  • BigLib wrote: »
    BubbaFett wrote: »

I can see why at the beginning of the game this would have caused frustration with no guides on what to do and what not to do, however, we’re three years in nearly and there is plenty of information out there. Would you not like to be able to get rid of excess gear you have no use for?

Wasn't saying what I would or would not like to do.....
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    BigLib wrote: »
    BubbaFett wrote: »

Not everyone is on the forum, or would know to look before they dig themselves into a hole.

The credit crunch early is worse than the gear crunch.

The dev team said in an interview they dont want people to sell things they may need, with new toons coming out all the time, even a veteran player could get caught up in a spot where they have sold off too much stuff and feel cornered into farming stuff they shouldn't have to.

The way they seem to be handling it is pulling the stuff we have 1000s of out of raids. We should see how that goes. I would love to have a little extra coin, but the previous exchange rate was just as bad as you could imagine. I dont expect them to bring back selling from how they have spoken about it.
    Wasn't saying what I would or would not like to do.....

I know, that’s why I’m asking..

Kyno wrote: »
    The dev team said in an interview they dont want people to sell things they may need, with new toons coming out all the time, even a veteran player could get caught up in a spot where they have sold off too much stuff and feel cornered into farming stuff they shouldn't have to.

Like someone previously said, do you not think it could work if it was limited to players who reach lvl 85? Or some other similar mid/late game achievement?

• This seems like the kind of thing the weekly shipment would be ideal for. Say you could convert useless gear into “gear currency.” Gear currency can only be spent in the weekly shipment, so you can only spend X gear currency per week.

This way, you could potentially get a decent exchange rate for your old gear, but without flooding the player base with tons of high end gear all at once. This is exactly the problem they solved by allowing ally points to be spent in the weekly shipment.
    I demand Grand Arena Elo ratings.
  • Let them complain. I'd gladly sell or upscale to better gear, I can plan just fine. It should be a thing, I have 5k of some gear, tell me that's going to be used later? How not now? It's not a benefit to me, let me sell it! Almost all of the gear from challenges goes wildly unused, just like CUP.
  • If you sell gear you need down the road, then that's the risk when you sell gear. That actually ADDS strategy to the game! It makes it even more competitive.
  • better to upgrade the gear to better ones,
  • BobaTeaFett
    16 posts Member
    edited October 2020
    -
    Post edited by BobaTeaFett on
  • Agreed, even if the exchange rate is outrageous like 500 to 1. It’s better than having thousands of one type and none of the others

Better than nothing for sure.
  • Yves wrote: »
    better to upgrade the gear to better ones,
    Absolutely this, i was about to make a new Topic on this but then i found this one. I have an insane ammount of gear that isn't used by any character, please either make them usefull or let us upgrade low grade gear to higher grade ones.

It could be 100 to 1 or even higher rate but it is frustrating to see that i have 5000 type 4 Stunguns but can't convert or upgrade them into Tye 5 ones.
  • This again...
  • This again...

It’s like every other full moon someone thinks this is a new idea.
  • Aye, think I posted a suggestion to smoosh mods to upgrade/ downgrade like 2 years ago. Also a request to maybe have the challenges grant gear based on a table where at least one of the possibilities in each slot is useful (like the int challenge would have the possibility of dropping something useful in each of the 5 slots, rather than a 100% chance of useless crap in all of them).