Tenacity vs Potency

Hello fellas.
I apologize if there is another threat with the same subject and clear answers but from a quick search I did in the forums I found a great deal of confusion and different opinions on how the potency vs tenacity works. Can someone from the developer team confirm that this is actually how this works?
This is the chance an ability has TO HIT.
1st. check: The ability hit percentage. For instance the "Power of the dark side" ability (EP's AOE stun) has 70% chance to hit. IF it succesfully passes the 1st check it moves to the 2nd.
2nd. check: There is a starting 100% potency on an ability. Then, the potency that a toon has (the percantage shown in the toon's stats tab) is added to that 100% potency. For example if my Darth Nihilus has +70% potency (this includes the starting potency of Dark Nihilus), that makes 170%. And the chance to hit, is that 170% minus the %tenacity the toon has (again what is shown in that toon's stats tab). So if the enemy Vader has 100% tenacity it would appear that the "Drain Force" ability has a 70% chance to hit. If on the above example the Vader had 70% tenacity there would be a 100% chance the "Drain Force" ability would hit. So again, IF it succesfully passes the 2nd check it moves to the 3rd.
3rd. check: There is a build in 15% chance to resist an ability. So even if the ability passes check number 1 and check number 2, there is still a 15% chance the "Drain Force" would be resisted. And any percantage of tenacity less than 70% on Vader is waisted because there will still be a minimum of 15% to resist.
A discussion below would, of course, be most welcome.

Replies

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    1st check - does it hit. Many attacks can be evaded.

If it hits
    2nd check - does it produce the effect? This is the % in the description of the chance to do X. If no % is stated, that means it has a 100% chance to produce the effect.

If this produces the effect
    3rd check - tenacity - potency = % chance to resist, no matter how much potency the base chance to resist is 15%, unless the attack "can't be resisted"
  • Articled
    23 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    Kyno wrote: »
    If this produces the effect
    3rd check - tenacity - potency = % chance to resist, no matter how much potency the base chance to resist is 15%, unless the attack "can't be resisted"

So if the attacker has 100% potency and the defender 100% tenacity, the defender has a 15% chance to resist?
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    edited September 2018
    I am not quite sure where you are getting the extra 100% potency from.

Also Force Drain CD increase (and any CD increase. I believe), has been stated by the dev team to not go through the tenacity/potency check. It can be resisted if it produces the effect.
  • Articled
    23 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    Kyno wrote: »
    I am not quite sure where you are getting the extra 100% potency from.

Also Force Drain CD increase (and any CD increase. I believe), has been stated by the dev team to not go through the tenacity/potency check. It can be resisted if it produces the effect.

I am talking about a theoretical example. In other words, if the potency is equal to the tenacity there is still a 15% chance to resist.

Also I didn't know about the CD increase abilities.

Edit: This is the video that I am refering to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Cru7AT5Dqc.
    Now that I think about it, it is the same as %chance to reist = tenacity - potency. The numbers are the same. The +100% is to determine the chance TO HIT. Not to resist.
  • Articled wrote: »
    The numbers are the same. The +100% is to determine the chance TO HIT. Not to resist.

I think that video only made things more confusing than they really are.
    There is no +100% nor a "chance to hit" based on potency. There are:

1) The chance for the ability to trigger (e.g. Palatine's stun is 70%, for some it's 100%). This has nothing to do with potency, and contrary to intuition and what many people think, increasing potency will not improve anything here;

2) If the ability did trigger, it can still be resisted: tenacity check (tenacity minus potency, minimum 15%). If resisted, it will print "resisted" on the screen. If it happens a lot to you (e.g. against Raid bosses), increase potency may make things better (e.g. Rey against Nihilus has a chance to be resisted less with potency modding; counter-example is Traya and her Sabers have such high tenacity that you can't overcome it).
    A character needs to have really high tenacity (more than 80%, probably even 100-120%) for it to resist abilities at a significant rate, since most ability-dealers have high natural potency and/or boosts.
    ☮ Consular ☮ - https://swgoh.gg/u/tiggus/