DOT Damage Doesn't Kill

Why is it that DOT damage won't deliver a killing blow?

Even if you have four big DOTs on an opponent who has next to zero health, the worst those dots will ever do is reduce that opponent to zero (or I suppose one) health.

It's very annoying to have to waste turns delivering finishing blows to opponents who have more than enough dots on them to kill them.

It's even worse when an opponent who should rightfully be dead gets healed.

Replies

• This makes sense
    467-325-146
    Pretty good collection of characters so far and GROWING
  • Yeah, well dots are insignificant damage anyway, except for vaders, but i feel your frustration.
    "There is no 'try'." - Master Yoda
  • I guess it might not be balanced for PvP, since guys with AoE that applies the debuff could kill off characters more easily through taunts. I don't know. Still pretty useful for high health boss character encounters.
    "Mockery: Oh, Master, I love you, but I hate all you stand for! But I think we should go press our slimy, mucus-covered lips together in the cargo hold!"
  • Be interested to know whether this is intentional or a bug.
  • MackemSLAM wrote: »

Even if you have four big DOTs on an opponent who has next to zero health, the worst those dots will ever do is reduce that opponent to zero (or I suppose one) health.

It's very annoying to have to waste turns delivering finishing blows to opponents who have more than enough dots on them to kill them.

Makes sense. Just wait til your victory depends on finishing off sid before taking down the healer, he has 2 dots on him, has 0 health, and ur only 2 remaining characters are jedi. 2x dodges in a row and the match is lost hahaha :(
  • reizse
    1447 posts Member
    MackemSLAM wrote: »

Makes sense. Just wait til your victory depends on finishing off sid before taking down the healer, he has 2 dots on him, has 0 health, and ur only 2 remaining characters are jedi. 2x dodges in a row and the match is lost hahaha :(

this. i've had sid at 0 health with 3dots and guess what happens....he ends up 'stayin alive' due to dodges and killing one of my own jedi. kind of annoying, but at the same time, hilarious.
    mighty chlorians
  • Abyss
    1651 posts Member
    Im curious if its a bug or intentional too.

One could argue its a bug as damage should apply an finish ppl when its enough famage to do so.

One could also argue that ppl are misusing dots and they are there to wear ppl fown or trump group heals rather then finishing ppl off.

Either way, im curious which it is as both scenarios seem viable for the strategy an i wouod say from a needed strategic point, dots are better as is so u cant load up one character killin it free while focuing down a second one meaning u can focus down 2 at once. I prefer it as is from a strategic point but again, curious weather its intentional or a bug.
  • As it stands this makes DoTs pretty useless, so I am hoping it is a bug. At the moment, every character who can apply DoTs would be better off with a slight damage increase and removal of DoTs altogether.
  • Seems like a bug to me, I was wondering the same thing. They should kill the target. Do they run off of current hp %?
  • Pilot wrote: »
    Yeah, well dots are insignificant damage anyway, except for vaders, but i feel your frustration.

The dot at level 60 are like 1200 per dot per turn. It can easily grow to 4000 per turn for 3 turns for 12k. I hate being dotted at this level, you can almost sense how many turns ahead a heal will be needed before entire team crumbles. And the regular damage, and tou pretty soon hope you had brought 3 healers.

• Yeah, this annoys me. you feel like you can move on, knowing that last dot tick will take someone out, but it doesn't, and you need to waste another, or two more hits to get that toon off the board.....
  • Loce
    194 posts Member
    I guess it might not be balanced for PvP, since guys with AoE that applies the debuff could kill off characters more easily through taunts. I don't know. Still pretty useful for high health boss character encounters.

Yeah I like to apply 4 or 5 DOTs to this high health characters. You can get a 1k tick over 2 turns or so which is like having an extra decent DMG toon for a sec haha. I also like to apply DOTs to a big group of opponents. By the time your ready to focus on them you have a good head start if the bleed is strong enough. Not a game changer but I think it works.

And Ive played mmo's and a few rpg's with DOTs and it just seems that some allow the tick to kill and others don't. Either way is cool with me.
  • Dots inflict 5% health per tick. Meaning they do massive damage to bosses and tanks.
  • Loce
    194 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    Oh is that how its calculated? That explained why it doesn't kill then lol. How does that stack? I wonder because it doesnt seem to stack at 100%. If it did then a 5 stack of DOTs would have a first tick of 25%. Am I right, or am I missing something? Maybe the 2nd stacks after the first is already calculated? Even that would be a huge tick.