The Mandalorian (new live action series)

Mandalorian.jpg?resize=740%2C832&type=vertical&ssl=1
Its finally given a name and a backdrop. IGN was thinking it may be about Sabine, but I'm not sure how I feel about that. We know her already. We need a new character to fan boy/girl about.

Replies

• I am sooooo freaking excited for this.
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    As long as “far” means, “really, really far” it could be good. I like Favreau but since this is such a big IP, that may not mean much
  • here's a first look at the protagonist the-mandalorian.jpg
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    here's a first look at the protagonist the-mandalorian.jpg

The series is still in development. Nobody has even been cast
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    I stand corrected. That photo is real, which means production has likely started in some capacity. I do think it’s odd though that the first set photos have been released without any cast announcements.
  • DatBoi wrote: »
    I stand corrected. That photo is real, which means production has likely started in some capacity. I do think it’s odd though that the first set photos have been released without any cast announcements.

That's not a photo, it's concept art.....
  • BubbaFett wrote: »
    DatBoi wrote: »

That's not a photo, it's concept art.....
    No they said that is a photo from the set and production has started....
  • here's a first look at the protagonist the-mandalorian.jpg

I call Idris Elba ;)

Rumor is that it is Pedro Pascal from GoT
  • How can this work? Mandalorians were warlike bounty hunters in the time of the Old Republic, and by the time of Luke Skywalker they were peace loving and spread out across the galaxy? One non comformist I guess.
  • I love how they mention Jango and Bobba Fett when canonically they are not Mandalorians.
  • CL_Chaos wrote: »
    I love how they mention Jango and Bobba Fett when canonically they are not Mandalorians.

True but they do have the mandalorian armor haha.
  • kalidor
    2121 posts Member
    How can this work? Mandalorians were warlike bounty hunters in the time of the Old Republic, and by the time of Luke Skywalker they were peace loving and spread out across the galaxy? One non comformist I guess.

Not all Mandalorians agreed with the pacification of their race (eg. Deathwatch). It's quite possible the hero (?) of the series didn't agree with it either, but maybe wasn't so extreme that he/she joined Deathwatch. Or maybe they did and left later on to become a bounty hunter or mercenary.
    I'm pretty pumped for this one, especially since the main character in Resistance seems goofy, like Shaggy from Scooby Doo. That was pretty disappointing, especially following the rather serious tone at the end of Rebels.
    xSWCr - Nov '15 shard - swgoh.gg kalidor-m
  • How can this work? Mandalorians were warlike bounty hunters in the time of the Old Republic, and by the time of Luke Skywalker they were peace loving and spread out across the galaxy? One non comformist I guess.

I'm sure there are clans that still are fighters. Like Saxon during the Empire and Vizsla during Clone Wars. I don't think there were only a handful of Mandalorians left. My bet would be an incognito Boba Fett after escaping the sarlaac pit.
  • The cast has been announced. Partially. A few noticeable names. https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-mandalorian-cast-has-officially-been-announced-1831051252
    Pedro Pascal is the lead in the show and yes he’ll be joined by Gina Carano, Carl Weathers, and Nick Nolte.

But he’ll also be joined by Werner Herzog! Yes! That crazy rumor is true. Also joining the cast are Breaking Bad’s Giancarlo Esposito, Supernatural’s Emily Swallow, and American Gods’ Omid Abtahi.

“We’re having a great time working with this incredibly talented group and excited for everyone to see what we’re up to,” executive producer Jon Favreau said in the Lucasfilm release.

Seriously though, what an insane group of people. We’ve got a former MMA fighter, Apollo Creed, a triple-Oscar nominated actor, an Oscar-nominated director not directing, Gus ****’ Fring, and so much more.

As previously reported, The Mandalorian is being written and executive produced by Jon Favreau and will debut on the upcoming Disney streaming service Disney+, “which is set to launch in the U.S. in late 2019.” Thanks for that nugget, Lucasfilm.

Dave Filoni is directing the first episode, with others directed by Deborah Chow, Rick Famuyiwa, Bryce Dallas Howard, and Taika Waititi. Here’s the super duper short synopsis:

After the stories of Jango and Boba Fett, another warrior emerges in the Star Wars universe. The Mandalorian is set after the fall of the Empire and before the emergence of the First Order. We follow the travails of a lone gunfighter in the outer reaches of the galaxy far from the authority of the New Republic....
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    I think this could be good - but there seems to be a lot more content coming out in this era, including Resistance, to help why/how the First Order came into the picture.

Shame the ST needs so much backstory to try and give it credit.

Why not a new era?

I'll reserve my judgment, I like the actor and I like Favreau - so, I am hoping this is some more good content under the Disney umbrella, like Rogue One was.
  • Boo wrote: »
    I think this could be good - but there seems to be a lot more content coming out in this era, including Resistance, to help why/how the First Order came into the picture.

Why not a new era?

I'll reserve my judgment, I like the actor and I like Favreau - so, I am hoping this is some more good content under the Disney umbrella, like Rogue One was.

I think the need for more back story was more of a marketing scheme to make money, than a way to give credibility.
  • It's also driven to extremes by the fan base, who want to know literally everything about each character that appears on screen.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Boo wrote: »

Why not a new era?

I think the need for more back story was more of a marketing scheme to make money, than a way to give credibility.

Make money? on ST era content?

Resistance is not getting the turn out it was expected to get - a lot of people hate that show having over 1000 falsified reviews on RT. The comments across social media for this show are mostly negative. The trailer's like to dislike ratio was almost as bad as Ghostbusters 2016 - which apparently is the most hated trailer on Youtube.

The Last Jedi was atrocious and split the fandom. Half of fans do not care about this era because of it. In fact merchandising has taken a huge tumble. Many videos across Youtube document this. I myself even saw TLJ action figures in the Dollar Store (never seen that before!) and now Hasbro are returning to releasing Original Trilogy action figures to make a profit. They can always fall back on OT merchandising like a safety net - because it was characters and an era and story appreciated by all fans and ages - its a safety net.

More content in this era, before any chance of redemption from E9, is a bad idea.

But like I say - I like Favreau and Pascal, and also Filoni is on board with this. He is only connected to Resistance by name, but is not overseeing that project.

C'mon Disney! Save Star Wars - you are our only hope! lol
  • Wonder when Kevin Smith will be in it?

Now that is interesting. Have a Jay and Silent Bob guest appearance
  • EA_Cian
    971 posts EA Staff (retired)
    Hello there!

Just a real quick reminder, this isn't a thread to discuss The Last Jedi and sales figures resulting from it. This is to talk about The Mandalorian, so let's please stay focused.

IKR.. Heck, have K-Smith write and direct..

IKR.. Heck, have K-Smith write and direct..

I may be a bit rusty, but I know he is a super nerd. He would probably wow us.
  • DuneSeaFarmer
    3525 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Loved KS in "Live Free or Die Hard" with B.Willis. KS "Oh you a big fan of the Fett?" BW "No I was always more of a SW fan."

Video about the show cast, etc.. (Mandalorian)
  • Loved KS in "Live Free or Die Hard" with B.Willis. KS "Oh you a big fan of the Fett?" BW "No I was always more of a SW fan."

Video about the show cast, etc.. (Mandalorian)

I always liked the exchange in Armageddon, where Ben Affleck tells the Russian that he was going to jump the Armadillo across the canyon on the asteroid like Evel Knievel across the Grand Canyon and the Russian says "I have never seen Star Wars"