The legendary problem...

Replies

• JerryHello
    206 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    Nihion wrote: »
    Simple: F2p cannot strive competitively. If it did, whales would be nonexistent, thus ending the game. But f2p has to exist so it doesn’t become a money war, because without you’re cheap base, you will never grow.

So CG has us in a middle ground: In order to be competitive, you must either pay a lot, or plan very very well. But if you play to have fun (like me), then you can be satisfied without paying a cent.

Ultimately it’s your choice, and you can’t really blame CG for having a strategic business model, even if it is frustrating.

You may fire when ready. ;)

Nope... That statement is completely false. CG purposely designed the game that way in order to make large profits. That's what it comes down to plain and simple.

There are countless other games that are "Free to Play" in which players that don't spend are able to compete on equal levels with those who do spend money and those games are still going strong and able to make large profits.

CG designed a game with competitive PVE and PVP elements in which players could spend real money to gain an ingame advantage over other players whether they be non spenders or rival spenders. Very few online games have this type of model because it creates a lot of problems amongst the community and because it isn't a fair gaming model. Which is why the overwhelming majority of MMO type games only allow players to spend money on Aesthetic items and that's it. The ability to pay to be competitive or superior invalidates the competitivety of the game. This is why no major MMORPG's or competitive tournament based games (MOBA, RTS, etc) allow players to buy gear, currency or rare resources outright. Because it literally invalidates the competitive nature of a game and isolates large portions of a games community. League of Legends is completely free to play and makes a killing, same thing with Fortnite. By your reasoning those games shouldn't be turning profits let alone exist, because whales can't spend to win.
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    JerryHello wrote: »
    Simple: F2p cannot strive competitively. If it did, whales would be nonexistent, thus ending the game. But f2p has to exist so it doesn’t become a money war, because without you’re cheap base, you will never grow.

So CG has us in a middle ground: In order to be competitive, you must either pay a lot, or plan very very well. But if you play to have fun (like me), then you can be satisfied without paying a cent.

Ultimately it’s your choice, and you can’t really blame CG for having a strategic business model, even if it is frustrating.

Nope... That statement is completely false. CG purposely designed the game that way in order to make large profits. That's what it comes down to plain and simple.

There are countless other games that are "Free to Play" in which players that don't spend are able to compete on equal levels with those who do spend money and those games are still going strong and able to make large profits.

CG designed a game with competitive PVE and PVP elements in which players could spend real money to gain an ingame advantage over other players whether they be non spenders or rival spenders. Very few online games have this type of model because it creates a lot of problems amongst the community and because it isn't a fair gaming model. Which is why the overwhelming majority of MMO type games only allow players to spend money on Aesthetic items and that's it. The ability to pay to be competitive or superior invalidates the competitivety of the game. This is why no major MMORPG's or competitive tournament based games (MOBA, RTS, etc) allow players to buy gear, currency or rare resources outright. Because it literally invalidates the competitive nature of a game and isolates large portions of a games community. League of Legends is completely free to play and makes a killing, same thing with Fortnite. By your reasoning those games shouldn't be turning profits let alone exist, because whales can't spend to win.

Cool...
  • Zinke7
    194 posts Member
    Beckett legendary? Really?
    Aging scoundrel who accomplished nothing in his long career and got himself killed in Solo movie is not worth marquee event and even less of something else and same goes for bad guy in that movie so please don't even joke about them being legendary characters.

If anything Solo characters might be used to unlock Solo ship in the game as in the movie that is where he got it but there are no characters left in that movie that need to be introduced to game.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    Inb4 the topic hyperboles into a rant about social justice.
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    Kyno wrote: »

There are many competitive F2P, they are just limited and need to be smart to stay flexible. they are probably not the best at everything, but you can easily be top 10 in both arenas as F2P. that will allow them to extend out into other areas. If that person is also a 2-3 year vet they are going to do ok in TW just by having some old meta toons sitting around.

the problem isn't being competitive, its thinking that you need to be the top in everything, or that you always need everything new to stay there. (maybe you missed the posts about 3* bastilla teams beating with all the "new bells and whistles")

There are competitive f2p, but like you said Kyno, they have to be smart. And most people either don’t keep up with strategy or just aren’t strategically minded. So a truly “F2P” game, in my opinion, would make it generally easy for even new players to be competitive. That’s the model I was referring to, or the extent of the f2p spectrum. But I appreciate you correcting me, there’s a reason I added the last sentence.
  • Zinke7 wrote: »
    Aging scoundrel who accomplished nothing in his long career and got himself killed in Solo movie is not worth marquee event and even less of something else and same goes for bad guy in that movie so please don't even joke about them being legendary characters.

If anything Solo characters might be used to unlock Solo ship in the game as in the movie that is where he got it but there are no characters left in that movie that need to be introduced to game.

Scoundrel maul...
  • Zinke7
    194 posts Member
    thedrjojo wrote: »
    Zinke7 wrote: »

Scoundrel maul...

I would like to see next movie with him as main character and he could make it into game but not sure that even he would be worth legendary tag.
  • Kyno wrote: »
    GOHGURU wrote: »
    BubbaFett wrote: »
    No_Try wrote: »
    So, so far did anything happen that is an exception to your desires? All legendaries and heroes journeys were doable the 2nd time around for a good portion of the community.

You got your chewie unlock, you can pursue it further for the 2nd time.

We have no idea when the next leg/hero's will drop. If it drops very soon and if they keep releasing one after another at an alarmist pace, I'll raise my flag with you.

For now it's biz as usual.

This..... Why the "panic"...... You don't need everything first time around..... As ftp, you have to make choices....

And trust me, this is coming from an anemic dolphin..... Be happy for what you have and less unhappy about what you don't have.....

Like I said to the guy above, the farming locations for the Old republic squad are very bad, they would jeopardize getting Revan even the second time

There is absolutely no farming location that could hurt anyone from getting a toon the second time around, it takes focus and commitment. If you drop everything and focus on what you want, which is what you have to do as a F2P to stay "with it", it is always possible.

As for OR toons, there are 3 with multiple farming spots, that's better than Phoenix was for Thrawn.

As F2P progress in the game they are faced with hard choices, they always have been. A key to being happy is playing like you are F2P, hoarding, ignoring what you can and making smart choices when something you really want comes around. Also accepting that you dont "need" anything, because no matter how you think you need it, you can either get it or you cant, but you cant really make things happen at will without $$, or great patience.

Come on, you're a reasonable guy. You know that the phoenix characters were also put in the galactic war store, the arena store, fleet shipments, etc. To say that the farming spots for OR toons is better than it was for phoenix is just absurd and it only makes sense if you ignore all the shops where we could easily buy phoenix shards 5 at a time.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    So, so far did anything happen that is an exception to your desires? All legendaries and heroes journeys were doable the 2nd time around for a good portion of the community.

We have no idea when the next leg/hero's will drop. If it drops very soon and if they keep releasing one after another at an alarmist pace, I'll raise my flag with you.

This..... Why the "panic"...... You don't need everything first time around..... As ftp, you have to make choices....

And trust me, this is coming from an anemic dolphin..... Be happy for what you have and less unhappy about what you don't have.....

Like I said to the guy above, the farming locations for the Old republic squad are very bad, they would jeopardize getting Revan even the second time

There is absolutely no farming location that could hurt anyone from getting a toon the second time around, it takes focus and commitment. If you drop everything and focus on what you want, which is what you have to do as a F2P to stay "with it", it is always possible.

As for OR toons, there are 3 with multiple farming spots, that's better than Phoenix was for Thrawn.

As F2P progress in the game they are faced with hard choices, they always have been. A key to being happy is playing like you are F2P, hoarding, ignoring what you can and making smart choices when something you really want comes around. Also accepting that you dont "need" anything, because no matter how you think you need it, you can either get it or you cant, but you cant really make things happen at will without $$, or great patience.

Come on, you're a reasonable guy. You know that the phoenix characters were also put in the galactic war store, the arena store, fleet shipments, etc. To say that the farming spots for OR toons is better than it was for phoenix is just absurd and it only makes sense if you ignore all the shops where we could easily buy phoenix shards 5 at a time.

if you didn't have the currency stored up that didn't really help.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

There are many competitive F2P, they are just limited and need to be smart to stay flexible. they are probably not the best at everything, but you can easily be top 10 in both arenas as F2P. that will allow them to extend out into other areas. If that person is also a 2-3 year vet they are going to do ok in TW just by having some old meta toons sitting around.

the problem isn't being competitive, its thinking that you need to be the top in everything, or that you always need everything new to stay there. (maybe you missed the posts about 3* bastilla teams beating with all the "new bells and whistles")

There are competitive f2p, but like you said Kyno, they have to be smart. And most people either don’t keep up with strategy or just aren’t strategically minded. So a truly “F2P” game, in my opinion, would make it generally easy for even new players to be competitive. That’s the model I was referring to, or the extent of the f2p spectrum. But I appreciate you correcting me, there’s a reason I added the last sentence.

New players are only pitted against new players, they have the same ability to be competitive as anyone they are playing against. unless you are suggesting that new players should have access to everything without any stress/work/focus.
  • I am a big dolphin 2-3kUSD Over 2 years and still have no VETS,just phinished farming Phoenix(terrible drops before last GAT),did not even attempt Chewee,Have Bastilla at3*,and am on the verge of leaving bcs I can't find a guild that can go over Sith V,so my gear 11/12 is nigh impossible,and I need over 30 M5 Stuns plus 8 M6..
  • The game was addicting for casual play to advance in it for a while..but now you really need to spend a copious amount of time planning and learning and it really is not fun at all almost like doing long division..haha..
  • 49dozer wrote: »
    I am a big dolphin 2-3kUSD Over 2 years and still have no VETS,just phinished farming Phoenix(terrible drops before last GAT),did not even attempt Chewee,Have Bastilla at3*,and am on the verge of leaving bcs I can't find a guild that can go over Sith V,so my gear 11/12 is nigh impossible,and I need over 30 M5 Stuns plus 8 M6..

If you want to get into a guild that is doing the higher tiers of the raid, you need to focus and develop teams that are good in the raid so you can contribute. Jtr is the best team to build for that.

Spending money does not equal success without focus. I've been playing less than 2 years (nov 2016 shard). With zero $ spent, I have all the legendary characters including chewie. It's all about focus. I also just got into a guild that has hstr on farm.

Higher end guilds will look at your roster as well as arena rank to determine how well you can help out the guild. Having every character unlocked and geared to a certain level can inflate your gp but usually doesn't fool people recruiting for high end guilds.
  • Speaker4thedead
    444 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    So after you filled us with uncertainty, insecurity and panic about legendary events, you have established nee standards which are hostile to f2p because we don't all have the gear to take characters to 10-11-12, most of us even struggle with gear 9 since we have a huge stun gun and carbanti crunch to overcome for certain characters. You've made it clear that you only care for p2p and that's understandable but I know that people don't want this to be an elitist game. If most f2p quit the game one day and p2p were left, then little dolphins would become the new f2p which would essentially make this a contest of whales. As a result you would see even more panic farms to distinguish the difference between a dolphin and a whale.

Now I know this sounds far fetched and I know that it is, but I gotta tell you, each legendary has made me question whether I was going to keep playing the game.

I failed to get 7 stars R2 but that was fine because he didn't have much raid potential before JTR. And I failed to get Thrawn at 7 which hurt but we all knew he was too expensive anyways so I rolled with it.

The second time Thrawn came I barely got him to 7 stars because of the difficulty of the event but if I hadn't succeeded, literally on the last day of the event, I would have quit.

BB8 was the first legendary who I failed to get on his second time and that almost made me quit. If I didn't get him the 3rd time it would have been it for me. CLS I managed to get right away because I paid 40 bucks and that was ok. And JTR I got in her second try and I was also about to quit if I didn't succeed.

Now Chewbacca comes and I can tell you that things have changed alot since then. I'm not gonna quit for not having a 7 star Chewbacca but I can tell you with great certainty that I'm not happy with the new standards.

If Revan or Jedi Luke come and I fail to get them I'm almost certain that it will be the end of me. I farmed the Solo toons because I thought the next legendary would be Beckett to basically seal the deal for Scoundrels. I didn't expect Revan so soon. Of course I would have also farmed the old republic toons if I could, but since you made it all about the hard nodes you forced us to choose.

Now I'm gonna sum it up because I don't want to come across as an entitled little crybaby...

So here it goes, I am not expecting to get every legendary to 7 stars on the first try. In fact the fact that I got a 6 star Chewbacca was a success for how hard the event was. I do however want to be able to get ALL legendaries 7 star at the second time. This game is a very competitive game and ALL games with competitive aspects try to keep it fair to those who don't spend. I think it's fair not to be able to compete for 3-4 months but I cannot conceive the 7-8-9 months of being at a disadvantage. I felt it with BB8 and I won't go through that again. Yes the game must make it's money and I've spent over 150 dollars over the past couple years. This proves that I have played my part in contributing for the game and I'm not some guy who wants others to pay for everything. Considering my incredibly low income being a college student all these years I would say that I've contributed enough, triple a games don't even cost this much. I think if you want the game to stay healthy you will make sure people like me have the opportunity to compete and in order to compete you must allow us to get the tools that we need. It's fair to say that we should expect these characters at the second time around and expect an unlock the first time. This is the only way to ensure a competitive game where the rich don't get richer at a disproportionate rate.

1. This is complete ****. You want to see what a day 1 f2p looks like? https://swgoh.gg/p/651137151/characters/
    2. too late
    3. you have spent over $150 in 2 years and have a problem getting toons to or past g9? LolololoL I refer back to my lineup, and I've never spent a dime on this game.
    4. You absolutely have a chance to compete. I do. Do I finish top 50? LOL no, but I usually stay top 200. And that's just fine.
    5. Nothing in life is fair. You millennials need to learn this. And you should expect NOTHING
    Post edited by Kyno on
  • You know I'm FTP for the most part, perhaps have spent $400-500 since I started playing shortly after game launched. But I have never been able to get maxed legendary toon at first release. most where 3rd time... Thrawn was 4th... the hero's , CLS I got 2nd go just because I had most already maxed, JTR I got on third time and that was with constantly farming vets.... I do decent in arena but I don't have the crystal income that all these posters speak about being my shard is a fairly old one. SO when I see things like as ftp you just need to focus, spend your crystal income on refreshes. I'm like what Crystal income if I manage 150 crystals a day that's just not enough to get these toons. I've tried to get more but I can barely hold the mid 100s as is in arena. But I just have to accept that unless open my wallet I will never be able to catch up,even if I do I still probably wont.
  • STRYKER667 wrote: »
    You know I'm FTP for the most part, perhaps have spent $400-500 since I started playing shortly after game launched. But I have never been able to get maxed legendary toon at first release. most where 3rd time... Thrawn was 4th... the hero's , CLS I got 2nd go just because I had most already maxed, JTR I got on third time and that was with constantly farming vets.... I do decent in arena but I don't have the crystal income that all these posters speak about being my shard is a fairly old one. SO when I see things like as ftp you just need to focus, spend your crystal income on refreshes. I'm like what Crystal income if I manage 150 crystals a day that's just not enough to get these toons. I've tried to get more but I can barely hold the mid 100s as is in arena. But I just have to accept that unless open my wallet I will never be able to catch up,even if I do I still probably wont.

I have g12 traya teams in my arena and still compete ftp and take top ten running ep lead no traya. So my shard is old enough that most of the top 50 are the current meta.

No, I'm not a day one player but you only need 5 characters geared to have a competitive arena team so that makes little difference. Focus can get you to the top of arena and fleet arena and allow you to have the crystal income to build your roster free.
    You know I'm FTP for the most part, perhaps have spent $400-500 since I started playing shortly after game launched. But I have never been able to get maxed legendary toon at first release. most where 3rd time... Thrawn was 4th... the hero's , CLS I got 2nd go just because I had most already maxed, JTR I got on third time and that was with constantly farming vets.... I do decent in arena but I don't have the crystal income that all these posters speak about being my shard is a fairly old one. SO when I see things like as ftp you just need to focus, spend your crystal income on refreshes. I'm like what Crystal income if I manage 150 crystals a day that's just not enough to get these toons. I've tried to get more but I can barely hold the mid 100s as is in arena. But I just have to accept that unless open my wallet I will never be able to catch up,even if I do I still probably wont.

You have to be the first person I've ever heard say "I'm f2p" and "I've spent $500 on the game" because one thing does not go with the other.
  • Kyno wrote: »

Disagree, Kyno.

Most people can get at least 800 GW tokens per day. That’s 2 purchases worth, or 10 shards.

Given the 1/3 drop rate, unless you have crystals at your disposal to refresh, even an 8 attempt node farm would net you 2 or 3 a day. Huge difference. Even at 1 store purchase a day, that’s still a farm that goes almost twice as fast.
  • 49dozer wrote: »
    I am a big dolphin 2-3kUSD Over 2 years and still have no VETS,just phinished farming Phoenix(terrible drops before last GAT),did not even attempt Chewee,Have Bastilla at3*,and am on the verge of leaving bcs I can't find a guild that can go over Sith V,so my gear 11/12 is nigh impossible,and I need over 30 M5 Stuns plus 8 M6..

I beg your pardon, 2 years and you have neither phonixes nor vets? O_o I believe you wasn’t planning to get them, otherwise you’d already had them.
  • Vinniarth wrote: »
    49dozer wrote: »

I beg your pardon, 2 years and you have neither phonixes nor vets? O_o I believe you wasn’t planning to get them, otherwise you’d already had them.

Yeah, I’m going to agree with Vinniarth. What on earth have you been farming? I’ve spent maybe a hundred bucks total in the same amount of time and have everything you don’t, and have 19 g12 toons and a bunch more ready to hit g12 once they get o 7*. Terrible drops or not, where have you been focusing? Tuskens? The CUP/Ugnaught/Mob Enforcer trifecta?
  • Addendum to my above post: Pit and Tank raids also provide high level gear. I don’t get it.
  • Germi
    553 posts Member
    What matters in this game is to have a plan and stick to it. Then you need to be patient (the alternative option is P2P). You also need to take some distance with the game as it can be mentally heavy in RL.
    Good luck and stick to your plans
  • Tarah
    202 posts Member
    1) last leg event done with g12/12/11/10/8
    2) is not written anywhere that all have to get 7* event toons first round
    3) could agree with g12, but if u cannot get g11/10 u r not f2p, u r casual players, so nothing more to say about legendary events

You have to be the first person I've ever heard say "I'm f2p" and "I've spent $500 on the game" because one thing does not go with the other.

I said 150 not 500. That's a fair amount over 2 years. It's my contribution to the game, it's not much, if anything it's very little considering a Marquee character costs more than twice that to 7 star.

This is the same I would have paid if it was an annual triple a game so I think it's fine.
  • GOHGURU wrote: »
    So after you filled us with uncertainty, insecurity and panic about legendary events, you have established nee standards which are hostile to f2p because we don't all have the gear to take characters to 10-11-12, most of us even struggle with gear 9 since we have a huge stun gun and carbanti crunch to overcome for certain characters. You've made it clear that you only care for p2p and that's understandable but I know that people don't want this to be an elitist game. If most f2p quit the game one day and p2p were left, then little dolphins would become the new f2p which would essentially make this a contest of whales. As a result you would see even more panic farms to distinguish the difference between a dolphin and a whale.

Now I know this sounds far fetched and I know that it is, but I gotta tell you, each legendary has made me question whether I was going to keep playing the game.

I failed to get 7 stars R2 but that was fine because he didn't have much raid potential before JTR. And I failed to get Thrawn at 7 which hurt but we all knew he was too expensive anyways so I rolled with it.

The second time Thrawn came I barely got him to 7 stars because of the difficulty of the event but if I hadn't succeeded, literally on the last day of the event, I would have quit.

BB8 was the first legendary who I failed to get on his second time and that almost made me quit. If I didn't get him the 3rd time it would have been it for me. CLS I managed to get right away because I paid 40 bucks and that was ok. And JTR I got in her second try and I was also about to quit if I didn't succeed.

Now Chewbacca comes and I can tell you that things have changed alot since then. I'm not gonna quit for not having a 7 star Chewbacca but I can tell you with great certainty that I'm not happy with the new standards.

If Revan or Jedi Luke come and I fail to get them I'm almost certain that it will be the end of me. I farmed the Solo toons because I thought the next legendary would be Beckett to basically seal the deal for Scoundrels. I didn't expect Revan so soon. Of course I would have also farmed the old republic toons if I could, but since you made it all about the hard nodes you forced us to choose.

Now I'm gonna sum it up because I don't want to come across as an entitled little crybaby...

So here it goes, I am not expecting to get every legendary to 7 stars on the first try. In fact the fact that I got a 6 star Chewbacca was a success for how hard the event was. I do however want to be able to get ALL legendaries 7 star at the second time. This game is a very competitive game and ALL games with competitive aspects try to keep it fair to those who don't spend. I think it's fair not to be able to compete for 3-4 months but I cannot conceive the 7-8-9 months of being at a disadvantage. I felt it with BB8 and I won't go through that again. Yes the game must make it's money and I've spent over 150 dollars over the past couple years. This proves that I have played my part in contributing for the game and I'm not some guy who wants others to pay for everything. Considering my incredibly low income being a college student all these years I would say that I've contributed enough, triple a games don't even cost this much. I think if you want the game to stay healthy you will make sure people like me have the opportunity to compete and in order to compete you must allow us to get the tools that we need. It's fair to say that we should expect these characters at the second time around and expect an unlock the first time. This is the only way to ensure a competitive game where the rich don't get richer at a disproportionate rate.

1. This is complete ****. You want to see what a day 1 f2p looks like? https://swgoh.gg/p/651137151/characters/
    2. too late
    3. you have spent over $150 in 2 years and have a problem getting toons to or past g9? LolololoL I refer back to my lineup, and I've never spent a dime on this game. I will NEVER support anything EA EVER again.
    4. You absolutely have a chance to compete. I do. Do I finish top 50? LOL no, but I usually stay top 200. And that's just fine.
    5. Nothing in life is fair. You millennials need to learn this. And you should expect NOTHING

https://swgoh.gg/p/278147258/

That's how an almost day 1 ftp (100%) can look like with just focus and a good arena team
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

Disagree, Kyno.

Most people can get at least 800 GW tokens per day. That’s 2 purchases worth, or 10 shards.

Given the 1/3 drop rate, unless you have crystals at your disposal to refresh, even an 8 attempt node farm would net you 2 or 3 a day. Huge difference. Even at 1 store purchase a day, that’s still a farm that goes almost twice as fast.

And what about the needed currency to get the extra shards you needed from the shard shop at that time?

And arena store?
    And cantina table store?

Yes GW was the easiest of the locations, good example, but that doesnt mean that people who didnt have the other currencies in quantities were going to make that farm, even though the stores are easier.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Addendum to my above post: Pit and Tank raids also provide high level gear. I don’t get it.

Why? They are lower level raids with way lower difficulty.
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    I would say that given the new restrictions on farming (defunct shops) that the KoToR toons are in great farming locations! Potentially you could average 10 shards per day on Bastilla and Jolee (just refresh their hard nodes 1x each) that would put them on a 1 month farm. Zaalbar is trickier but even 1 refresh should get you 5 shards a day average (2 months). The cantina farms are trickier, but I'd focus on T3 first (because of my crystal income), then save everything for Mission as we get closer to the panic deadline.
    I get what you're saying about getting stressed on the new legendary requirements...chewbacca was depressing with the amount of resources invested. Not even sure if he's worth it (I got him to 7*). Hopefully Revan would be back to phoenix level gearing for Thrawn since OR toons are recent additions

Funny how the definition of "great" shifts over time in this game, isn't it? There were times when I hated characters being added to cantina due to the high competition. Then, the hard nodes became standard...