The Old Republic Problem...

Prev1
I see all the speculation about the Old Republic characters being needed for Revan, but I can't get past one detail: there is no synergy between the OR faction. Bastilla's lead is the only one for the five characters, only helps one other toon in the faction.

Compare this to the strong synergies for Bounty Hunters (OG Chewbacca), Phoenix (Thrawn), First Order (BB8), Empire (R2), Jedi (Yoda), Rebels (Palpatine), and the rebels/resistance toons needed for CLS and JTR, etc.

Wouldn't the Sith being needed to unlock Revan make more sense? Maybe a new faction for Traya, Sion, Nihilus, Marauder, Assassin, and Trooper is created.

Replies

• HK666
    1263 posts Member
    To get JTR you use three resistance member that don't synergize all that well and two scoundrels.

We don't know who is gonna be needed, but there's a good chance it's the OR toons. Throw the buffs on Mission and let Z taunt and you've got a lil squad going. Especially with Vao's zeta. Don't even need someone to take health damage for Z to counter and call Mission to assist with Bastila's Meditation. And if it comes to health damage there is Bindo. Seems decent enough to pass an event to me.

While the OR are good for their factions (Bindo and Vao didn't leave to big a splash, tho), I think they were introduced for such an event. Otherwise, why make the tag? There are other toons from the era that don't have a special tag

And we don't know if this is the only event involving Revan. Could be one for Sith and one for OR
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    Yeah its just based on the original game really. Still guessing we will see Carth Onassi at some point.

Personally the BH glut and the Solo glut have kinda worn me out. I'm Going to finish Solo team and Embo and get Zaalbar from the KOTOR team. Then I'm just going to take a break and get whatever KOTOR will be needed for the 2nd time around.

I did get get Chewie at 7* and I'm gld for it, but it made me realize how much I hate having to do forced panic farms.
  • HK666 wrote: »
    To get JTR you use three resistance member that don't synergize all that well and two scoundrels.

We don't know who is gonna be needed, but there's a good chance it's the OR toons. Throw the buffs on Mission and let Z taunt and you've got a lil squad going. Especially with Vao's zeta. Don't even need someone to take health damage for Z to counter and call Mission to assist with Bastila's Meditation. And if it comes to health damage there is Bindo. Seems decent enough to pass an event to me.

While the OR are good for their factions (Bindo and Vao didn't leave to big a splash, tho), I think they were introduced for such an event. Otherwise, why make the tag? There are other toons from the era that don't have a special tag

And we don't know if this is the only event involving Revan. Could be one for Sith and one for OR

Could be the OR faction was added for synergy with a Revan leadership and as a massive red herring.

I concur with the OP we've not had an event where the leadership ability(s) available benefitted only one other toon in the faction. So I think we'll either get Carth as a precursor legendary for a HJ type thing or we will need sith to unlock revan in a legendary event.

Either way I'm not worrying about farming for the event, the BH event showed that panic farming isn't likely to net you a 5* unlock anymore unless your toons were already g11.

Could be the OR faction was added for synergy with a Revan leadership and as a massive red herring.

I concur with the OP we've not had an event where the leadership ability(s) available benefitted only one other toon in the faction. So I think we'll either get Carth as a precursor legendary for a HJ type thing or we will need sith to unlock revan in a legendary event.

Either way I'm not worrying about farming for the event, the BH event showed that panic farming isn't likely to net you a 5* unlock anymore unless your toons were already g11.

I agree with your assumptions, though I'm still farming OR characters in case it's a hero's journey type event. But not panic involved since if that's the case we likely have a few months. So I'll focus not panic.

And I already have 5 7 star sith that are more than adequately geared for any event so no need to divert resources for that.
  • Variant_Shades
    54 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    No way Sith will be needed to unlock Revan. It's not going to happen folks.

Why on earth would CG introduce 5 KOTOR marquee characters this year.... for no reason? If there's no panic farm, CG doesn't make much money. Why would they suddenly change the hard node attempts to 8 and first refresh of said hard node to 25 crystals - the same day they make Big Z, Mission and T3 farmable (with Bastila and Bindo farmable weeks before.)

They're all but telling you, without actually telling you. KOTOR characters will be needed.
  • HK666
    1263 posts Member
    I've thought about Revan tying together synergies between them all, but I don't think it'll happen. At least not a new arena meta, and that seems to be what a lot of Revan fans want. Not with just one toon. I don't think the toons have enough to make it in arena, bar Bastila and T3.

Zaalbar is easily one of the best PVE tanks, but slap a buff immunity or fracture or shock and he's utterly useless. Most good arena tanks bring something more than just taunting. (Sion- damage, Shore- healing/crit immune, Old Ben- mind trick, taunts past fracture GenKen- group hugs, foresight, and crit immunity even when fractured, SiT- so many auto taunts, possible cleanses)

Mission's got some good moves, but again I just don't think it's enough. Sure, you dazed one toon, but nowadays you need to daze all five. Blinding something like a DN drain could be the difference between taking an annihilate or killing DN, but I have my doubts.

If you need Bindo for healing in arena, you are already dead. And while his revive is slightly harder to stop than most toons, teams bring stun and ability block. He might be useful in like a 2v2 or something, but if a better toon was used then it wouldn't go down to 2v2 in the first place.

While I do think they are better than the average Joe, I don't think they work well enough for arena, even if all their abilities had the old republic tag added.

Then again, I could be like those guys who got JTR, said she was garbage, and then she was meta in a few days
  • Vets had no synergy with resistance either. So what?
  • Vinniarth wrote: »
    Vets had no synergy with resistance either. So what?

That's was different tho. It was a heroes journey not a legendary event
    "ARE WE BLIND? DEPLOY THE GARRISON."
  • I’m personaly under the belief that Revan will be a hero’s journey, and I’m farming OR right now because they’ll definitely be needed in some capacity even if it is a different legendary event. I skipped the Solo farm because I know I won’t have time to get Revan if I postpone farming until after whatever solo surprise legendary they’re gonna have. Frankly I’m not that fond of Solo anyway so I’d rather spend my time more wisely.

Carth will be released eventually with some kind of OR synergy. Also don’t be surprised if HK 47 gets a rework with the OR faction tag.
    I've thought about Revan tying together synergies between them all, but I don't think it'll happen. At least not a new arena meta, and that seems to be what a lot of Revan fans want. Not with just one toon. I don't think the toons have enough to make it in arena, bar Bastila and T3.

Zaalbar is easily one of the best PVE tanks, but slap a buff immunity or fracture or shock and he's utterly useless. Most good arena tanks bring something more than just taunting. (Sion- damage, Shore- healing/crit immune, Old Ben- mind trick, taunts past fracture GenKen- group hugs, foresight, and crit immunity even when fractured, SiT- so many auto taunts, possible cleanses)

Mission's got some good moves, but again I just don't think it's enough. Sure, you dazed one toon, but nowadays you need to daze all five. Blinding something like a DN drain could be the difference between taking an annihilate or killing DN, but I have my doubts.

If you need Bindo for healing in arena, you are already dead. And while his revive is slightly harder to stop than most toons, teams bring stun and ability block. He might be useful in like a 2v2 or something, but if a better toon was used then it wouldn't go down to 2v2 in the first place.

While I do think they are better than the average Joe, I don't think they work well enough for arena, even if all their abilities had the old republic tag added.

Then again, I could be like those guys who got JTR, said she was garbage, and then she was meta in a few days

One thing about Bindo, max his unique and he gets +100% tenacity, if with Bastila lead(maxed) thats another 150% tenacity when he has protection up.

So good luck getting those debuffs off with what could easily be 300% tenacity. Better be a cant be resisted style.
    Although for sure if you run bastila lead odds are you don't need the revive, situational can be good but not a gameplan like nightsister revives.

Still 3 more player character kotor toons(not counting revan) so maybe like Carth will have a OR lead ability or the kitty cat.
  • USAFmedic129
    1538 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    To be fair, the entire KotOR and any The Old Republic MMO releases need to be faction tagged as KotOR Era. It’s really not fair or cool that all the Old Republic Era Sith have synergies with other Sith, yet Old Republic Light Side toons don’t have any synergy with present day Republic faction.
    Post edited by USAFmedic129 on
  • Izza
    85 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    A couple months back, when the devs were acknowledging the marquee event overdose, they said new Legendary and Journey-Like events are planned to be released soon. I take that Revan’s will be this “Journey-like” event. My thinking is we will need the five OR toons in game, and they will provide an event Revan for us to play with in various scenes from KOTOR.
    Post edited by Izza on
  • Izza wrote: »
    A couple months back, when the devs were acknowledging the marquee event overdose, they said new Legendary and Journey-Like events are planned yo be released soon. I take that Revan’s will be this “Journey-like” event. My thinking is we will need the five OR toons in game, and they will provide an event Revan for us to play with in various scenes from KOTOR.

This guy gets it. I keep thinking about that Carrie quote of “Hero Journey like” as well.
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Well, look at it this way: Either the OR is needed to unlock him, or he is the missing piece for a functional OR team needed for something else. Either way, investing in OR seems to be good idea at this moment.
  • Hanfirst wrote: »
    HK666 wrote: »

One thing about Bindo, max his unique and he gets +100% tenacity, if with Bastila lead(maxed) thats another 150% tenacity when he has protection up.

So good luck getting those debuffs off with what could easily be 300% tenacity. Better be a cant be resisted style.
    Although for sure if you run bastila lead odds are you don't need the revive, situational can be good but not a gameplan like nightsister revives.

Still 3 more player character kotor toons(not counting revan) so maybe like Carth will have a OR lead ability or the kitty cat.

I lock him out pretty regularly with JTR’s special. All you need to do is call BB8 to assist first, which gives tenacity down. Then you ability block for 2 turns, which means he’s dead before he does anything useful. Not saying he’s useless, but he’s definitely not in the same category as current meta toons.
  • No way Sith will be needed to unlock Revan. It's not going to happen folks.

Why on earth would CG introduce 5 KOTOR marquee characters this year.... for no reason? If there's no panic farm, CG doesn't make much money. Why would they suddenly change the hard node attempts to 8 and first refresh of said hard node to 25 crystals - the same day they make Big Z, Mission and T3 farmable (with Bastila and Bindo farmable weeks before.)

They're all but telling you, without actually telling you. KOTOR characters will be needed.

Also the fact they've all been in weekly shipments the past two weeks.
  • No problem there. The Crew of the Ebon Hawk was a group of people that had no business joining forces. A slave and her bodyguard, a pretentious jedi, a hermit living in self imposed exile, a fallen jedi, an assassin droid, an ace pilot afraid of his past, and future, an astromech droid and a coward of a mandalorian.

Revan glued these misfits together. He will be their synergy.
  • Riffinator wrote: »
    Vinniarth wrote: »

Show me the dev post that said it was going to be a legendary event.
  • It won’t be a heroes journey because we have no base revan character to use, in the same vain as farming luke or scav.

It won’t be a raid because there would be no need to farm old republic for it, so no incentive to panic farm.

It won’t be a legendary because the video shows you fighting the beast in the sith caves on korriban, so to me it’s fairly obvious that it’ll be a legendary event in the same vain as wicket or mother talzin.

Fighting the beast would be similar to fighting the AT-ST, and probably require old republic at 5 stars to receive 10 revan shards per go. There’s defo logic behind this and there’s certainly money to be made, because people will gladly pay to refresh and unlock him.

Definitely agree with OP in regards to synergy, but Revan will have a leader ability to tie them all together, after all, that’s literally what he does in the original KOTOR game.
  • It won’t be a heroes journey because we have no base revan character to use, in the same vain as farming luke or scav.

It won’t be a raid because there would be no need to farm old republic for it, so no incentive to panic farm.

It won’t be a legendary because the video shows you fighting the beast in the sith caves on korriban, so to me it’s fairly obvious that it’ll be a legendary event in the same vain as wicket or mother talzin.

Fighting the beast would be similar to fighting the AT-ST, and probably require old republic at 5 stars to receive 10 revan shards per go. There’s defo logic behind this and there’s certainly money to be made, because people will gladly pay to refresh and unlock him.

Definitely agree with OP in regards to synergy, but Revan will have a leader ability to tie them all together, after all, that’s literally what he does in the original KOTOR game.

I think it's close though. Don't think of it as Hero's Journey, think of it as Hero's Journey Light. I predict that there won't be a leader synergy and it'll require all five OR characters.

Think of it as a new format for legendary characters. Right now people have squads from most of the factions ready to take on anything new that drops. As CG has a pretty specific definition for what they want from their factions they'll need a new way to narrow the amount of playable characters used for new legendary characters.

So what you end up with is a story event with seven tiers and a new character to unlock at the end (or after tier 5 depending on how they want to do it). CG gets people to focus on a specific character group (which helps them make money) but they can now release more legendary type characters. Otherwise we're likely to get more wookie-level difficulties with our legendaries that are going to need one of the new faction characters to have an easy chance of pulling off.
  • Revan will tie them together and maybe make jolee viable on jedi arena who knows
  • HK666
    1263 posts Member
    @jejuzang
    slight correction- Mission was no slave. 'scrumrat' is probably a better term. She just lived in the Lower City and owed her life/alliegence to no one but her friend Big Z. While she did hang out with the 'good' swoop gang, she wasn't a member.

as for the event type. Have no idea. Hopefully 5* will be enough to unlock, pushing for 7* just in case. Don't think I'm refreshing enough tho unless he comes in December
  • A lot of this speculation is under the assumption that there won't be any more Old Republic releases before Revan shows up. It wouldn't be out of the question for a more substantial character to get dropped before the event, mostly in an attempt to collect some dollars. But as others noted, there isn't exactly a ton of synergy in the JTR required crew, just relevant characters.

I'd say without a doubt, at least some of the OR characters will be necessary, so by all means there should be some focus toward those characters. T3, Jolee and Bastila all have extended life beyond the Old Republic in Jedi and future droid factions, and I still pray that Wookiees will become a thing!

There will almost certainly be one other significant upgrade or drop ahead of Revan that will distract us, so as usual, focus and eyes on the prize!
  • I expect the event to be similar to JTRs where you needed one or more toons for each stage as you progress, similar to the original game. Synergy is not needed. If Jolee does not tell me “eh, you do it” like I recall endless times in that Xbox game, then I will be disappointed. Who knows we may have to use Sith to fight Revan at some point.
    @jejuzang
    slight correction- Mission was no slave. 'scrumrat' is probably a better term. She just lived in the Lower City and owed her life/alliegence to no one but her friend Big Z. While she did hang out with the 'good' swoop gang, she wasn't a member.

as for the event type. Have no idea. Hopefully 5* will be enough to unlock, pushing for 7* just in case. Don't think I'm refreshing enough tho unless he comes in December

Hey good catch, i must've been thinking about Vette.

Id also prefer a 5 star unlock or if not then the necessary toons be placed in the stores for at least a week for f2p friendly farming.
  • Yeah I was thinking about this too. I think Carth is the only one in the group that could also be called the "leader" besides Revan. Maybe we'll need sith to get Carth, and then Carth and Old Republic to get Revan.

Someone in my guild also had a funny idea that I would love to see actually happen- maybe we'll need to use Jedi Consular as a fill in for Revan in the Heroes Journey (like farm boy Luke or scavenger Rey). He was Revan all along!! He/we just didn't know it!
  • mesa176750 wrote: »
    Riffinator wrote: »
    Vinniarth wrote: »

Show me the dev post that said it was going to be a legendary event.

Show me the post where it was going to be a Heroes journey requiring Old Republic characters
    "ARE WE BLIND? DEPLOY THE GARRISON."
  • I still don’t see how the Old Republic has or is a problem. Bastila has synergy with Joliee. HK is a droid with a leader that is supplemented with T3. Mission and Big Z should have a synergy with each other like Anakin and Ahsoka share. I highly doubt we have seen the last releases of Old Republic characters yet.
  • Ultra
    11454 posts Moderator
    I still don’t see how the Old Republic has or is a problem. Bastila has synergy with Joliee. HK is a droid with a leader that is supplemented with T3. Mission and Big Z should have a synergy with each other like Anakin and Ahsoka share. I highly doubt we have seen the last releases of Old Republic characters yet.
    Mission and Zalbaar DO have synergy with each other