10 Days until Doctor Who Simulcast!

Doctor Who Global Premiere Time Announced
https://www.threeifbyspace.net/2018/09/doctor-who-global-premiere-time-announced-heads-to-nycc/

Honestly it seems like it has been ages, since Peter did his final scene. I'm getting a lil excited. (Please if you are upset about a female Doctor, leave it out of this discussion :) ) Anyone else?

Replies

• Ztyle
    1970 posts Member
    If you are upset about a female Doctor, you are a fake, the 7th Doctor was almost a woman, and the series creator has always liked the idea of a female Doctor
    I can't wait to see where the direction will go, one of the things I love most about DW, is that every new Doctor takes it a different place
    I'm Danish , Leader of the Space Slug Alliance , living the SlugLife , My collection
  • My favorite Doctor is the one in the Blue Box.. I've watched Doctor Who since Tom Baker took over for Jon Pertwee. (Yup I'm that old lol)
  • I'm looking forward to it. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Whittaker is a talented actress and with good writing I think the show can be successful.

However it does depend on the writing I understand why people are nervous and I don't think the BBC have helped with the 'glass ceiling' or the tag line.

At the end of day however we all want the show to succeed and I'm optimistic it will.
  • I can't wait. I got a late start on Doctor Who, but did go back and watch everything from Pertwee on. I did watch some of the original episodes (up until the missing ones).
  • DuneSeaFarmer
    3525 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    To give you a glimpse of Chris Chibnalls writing (New DW show runner) Remember Angels take Manhattan? This would be the epilogue, kleenex on standby..

https://youtu.be/XWU6XL9xI4k
  • DuneSeaFarmer
    3525 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    GOOD LUCK DOCTOR!
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    I liked Tom Baker, lol. He used to live around the corner from me, lol.

As for the female Doctor, I wish this happened before the world got too PC, now many people are slating it because of modern politics. However it is very plausible for the Doctor to be female, as he/she constantly takes on a new body. What we have seen thus far has always been male, but there is no logical reason he/she cannot elect to become a woman instead. indeed he could come back as an animal such as a cow, I believe that was referenced once?
  • Males regenerating to a Female timelord has been mentioned long before Missy aka the Master appeared. The Doctor told Amy and Rory about the Corsair regenerating once into a female timelord in "The Doctors wife" in Matt Smiths time. Peter Capaldi's Doctor told Bill he was once female if I remember correctly. I liked the episode, she's the Doctor. Alons-y!
  • I was optimistic going in and I found it to be a fully enjoyable episode.

The change in gender was handled well and this stoped any risk of doctor who not being what it has always been. Fun.

The episode particularly at the start and end was entertaining it was abit dull in the middle but for an hour of TV that can be hard to avoid. Whittaker showed great potential and has proven that she can play the part.

In terms of previous new doctor openers, in the modern era I would say it's better than deep breath, better than the Christmas invasion, on par with rose and only beaten by the eleventh hour (which I did not like at the time only after watching it a secound time a couple of years later did I like it. I blame fish fingers and custard!)

Overall 6/10 very enjoyable and Whitaker has earned the chance to be viewed more positively.
  • Lest we forget, Chris Chibnall. The new showrunner, I am excited to see how it progresses.
  • Chris arguably needs to prove himself more than Whittaker does. He has had success with broad church but has also wrote some very average torchwood and doctor who episodes.

Cyberwoman is probably the most infamous. Power of three was ok dinosaurs on a space ship was average as well. I forget the other two he wrote.
  • EA_Cian
    971 posts EA Staff (retired)
    Hey folks, we're doing alright here so far but I would again like to remind people to please leave the politics off the forums. If you want to have those conversations in relation to Dr. Who or anything else, please take them elsewhere.

That said, I'm very excited to see the premiere and bummed I haven't watched it yet. :smile:
  • EA_Cian wrote: »
    Hey folks, we're doing alright here so far but I would again like to remind people to please leave the politics off the forums. If you want to have those conversations in relation to Dr. Who or anything else, please take them elsewhere.

That said, I'm very excited to see the premiere and bummed I haven't watched it yet. :smile:

Well get to it.. Alons-Y!