[Mega] An Ancient Journey of Redemption

Replies

• MAndrewMX wrote: »
    No I know it doesnt fit the cannon or timeline, I was just trying to point out, how does getting revan lead on a path I should invest in now?

He does not need to connect to anything that is currently in game to be worth investing in.
    a- wait for his kit release
    b- there are other characters from KOTOR he can connect to, or be required in order to obtain
  • Are you serious? I would sort of understand if you said top 5, but top 50 isn't even that high a rank. It would be catastrophic for the game if FTP players couldn't compete in the top 50. Whales pay for an advantage, not for a 100% guarantee that they will dominate. If there was no chance of competing in top 50 as FTP a ton of players would quit. In the past this game has been relatively friendly towards FTP, which it what has kept it healthy, but most of us see that things have been moving in a different direction as of late. My advice to CG, turn this ship around before you alienate the entire player base. There is no more good will left to spare here.

Yes I am serious. As far as I am concerned the "F2P" community can cry themselves onto the next game. I will still love SWGOH with 0 F2P players, and likely the community would be a lot cleaner and more enjoyable. I don't spend money to beat up on F2P's lol.

Keep it up CG, I love the game, content and direction and will continue to support you.

• First, let’s not confuse characters with content. New toons are most definitely not content. Revan was one of the most asked for toons by the community and cg is giving him to us in game. For a price now or free when the event rolls around again. This isn’t new and asking for more info on what cg plans down the road seems naive to me. I agree with others as to Luke-one should have 0 to do with the other. It appears you’ve already answered your own question in your initial post-you have all the counters you need so you can choose to save $ and get him for free in 3-6 months.
  • Monel
    2776 posts Member
    It's all relative guys, this guy spends a lot but is still trying understand value. Pretty sure we all know Revan wont be needed to unlock Luke. But I think his question is is there value in spending a bunch now to unlock Revan if Jedi Luke is around the corner. Why chase the Revan meta if in a month Jedi Luke comes out and destroys Revan. Just cause he is a whale does not mean he doesnt like to understand value.
  • makes no sense to milk a cow you already milked this day. you have to wait till the cow produced new milk.
    I am german, therefore my english is not the best.
  • I just wanted to applaud CG. There appears to be a lot of crying going on and the word greedy being thrown around most likely. The difficulty of the farm and the notice given, make perfect sense in every single way, and if u cant understand this then u need to use your brain more. Throwing a bone to the ppl that spend money is a actually a kind gesture, not greed, to those that keep the game going for the ppl that hardly spend any money or no money at all. What do u guys want? 6 months notice and an easy farm and then everybody has revan first time around. That would make zero sense in every way. You gotta work for it or pay up. Do not forget, this is how life works and this is a business.
  • TrowaJedi wrote: »
    I just have to ask, if you are F2P, do you really expect to be able to get new content the second it comes out? If that was how new content worked, would there be anyone paying any money for the game? This isn't the first time that this has happened. It happened on CLS and JTR. I'm just at a loss reading all these responses. I don't know of a single game where you can play it for free and get early access to content. Please someone explain to me the logic of being upset here. I honestly do not get it. Most of the posts seem to just say the same thing. "We are upset you made it so if we want to get this character we really want right now, we have to spend a lot of money".

Let's examine the above. If you really want this character, but don't want to spend the money, then you need to take your time, farm and get him next time he shows up. In project management, you have 3 variables, time, effort and money. If you want to shorten the time, you have to increase the money or effort involved. If you want to spend less money, you have to increase the time. All the complaints I see just make me think that the player base is greedy and wants something for nothing. I'm not trying to be insulting, I'm just saying this is how things look to me as a peer in my opinion.

The bold statement is not correct at all at least not 100% unless you are newer to the industry and only have been playing in models like this. I guess in a format like this for the most part where the game is designed for P2P and the goal is to get people to spend. This model was not there in the beginning. I mean I guess paying a monthly sub for $9.99(UO may have been $15 but that was long ago) is P2P but everything in the game was obtainable the moment new content came out without any extra financial investment. The investment was not $ but the time and the grind. I have been in many guilds/kinships that we were world/server first to take down and receive the new shiny items and no money was required again other then a monthly sub. So maybe not F2P but smaller then a minnow.

And yes people do have a right to be upset. I understand whales have the right to spend but the issue is not as you pointed out that I see as much as in the past new toons meant you should grind for upcoming event but with so many releases of new toons from so many different time lines in the SW universe it is hard to know what to expect. Which I think shows the greed of CG for this. In the past players were able to predict based on release of toons what was coming and could grind instead of spending. For a company this is not good so how do they retain their goal to make money. They come up with a plan to make it unpredictable which means people will have to spend.

I guess people need to remember this is a for profit business with one goal to generate revenue. No revenue no game so yes whales, dolphins, and minnows are needed. But this new model is making really hard for the F2P to even catch up the next go around or even the third. Eventually and we are seeing it and people are posting about it the F2P and even the P2P who spend only a little are starting to disappear. There needs to be a balance but the company seems only concerned at the moment with a cash grab.
  • RogueJedi wrote: »
    Cossin wrote: »
    I call it now after rereading the announcement: it's a LEGENDARY and we're all fussing. Free bad PR is still free PR ;-)
    If there is any consistency in how they are wording the announcements, it is always 100% saying HERO'S JOURNEY and in case of Rey's TO FULLY COMPLETE.

Why would they word it as "you need those XYZ to complete this event and get a 7* Revan?"

JTR and CLS from the initial announcement:

JTR's event was worded like this:
    "You will need to have 7-star versions of each of the following characters to fully complete the Rey’s Hero’s Journey event"

CLS's event:
    "This Rebel Hero will unlock this August through the Hero's Journey event as a seven star character. To unlock Commander Skywalker, players will require the following Characters at seven stars: "

Well this isnt a Heroes Journey but doesnt mean you dont need 7* characters to complete...this is obviously something new but similar.

Where did it state new event? Or a new different type of event?
    Take what's written there, otherwise it is mere speculation.
  • Because if he ( or others ) where a Whale, they more then likely would be investing in both regardless because of TB TW and other Guild Events anyways
  • Vendi1983
    5018 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    @thewhitegift

I think the biggest problem from a business model standpoint is this: they missed their crucial window to attract more money.

1 - Whales and Krakens will spend regardless of the timeline/release cadence. They could have done 2 weeks or 4 weeks notice. Most W&K are already done farming & gearing them.

2 - Dolphins and Minnows that were close might invest. However; many that had just started working on OR look at the timeline and realize the immense investment required in a week and won't bite. This is an event where EA/CG could have potentially pushed many Minnows up to Dolphins or Dolphins up to Whales, etc, if the release was slightly longer.

3 - Furthering point 2; this would have guaranteed a higher income going forward. Gaming and gambling are both proven to be addictive. EA knows this and literally banks on it. So by bumping M to D and D to W they've created new sets of higher spending players. Players that now realize that with a bit more spending next time they'll stay on or ahead of the curve.
  • I’d argue it would make no sense to assume “Jedi” Luke would destroy “Jedi” Revan meta (if there is one) considering they’ll share a faction tag (assuming of course)
  • RAYRAY
    2761 posts Member
    Not sure why the title is "warrior's fireside" the concepts he talked about are not being talked about in this thread. To respond to the title, I think they should extend it 1 week. Not delay it. Just make the event two weeks long so it gives people and additional week to get there. That would make a YUGE difference. At the same time, the ones that are ready now will get it right away still so they don't have to wait.
    ☮ Consular ☮ American Rebel Rebel Force (Endor) JedhaYavin IV
  • He's a heroes journey character, we don't currently have anything to suggest we'd need him for anything other than just needing him. If you've already spent thousands of dollars on a mobile game then I don't really understand why you'd be so undetermined about a character that will likely break the meta on a similar scale to CLS and JTR.
  • Vendi1983 wrote: »
    @thewhitegift

I think the biggest problem from a business model standpoint is this: they missed their crucial window to attract more money.

1 - Whales and Krakens will spend regardless of the timeline/release cadence. They could have done 2 weeks or 4 weeks notice. Most W&K are already done farming & gearing them.

2 - Dolphins and Minnows that were close might invest. However; many that had just started working on OR look at the timeline and realize the immense investment required in a week and won't bite. This is an event where EA/CG could have potentially pushed many Minnows up to Dolphins or Dolphins up to Whales, etc, if the release was slightly longer.

3 - Furthering point 2; this would have guaranteed a higher income going forward. Gaming and gambling are both proven to be addictive. EA knows this and literally banks on it. So by bumping M to D and D to W they've created new sets of higher spending players. Players that now realize that with a bit more spending next time they'll stay on or ahead of the curve.

I dont think M's and D's can afford a 1000$
  • Monel
    2776 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    chrischaos wrote: »
    I’d argue it would make no sense to assume “Jedi” Luke would destroy “Jedi” Revan meta (if there is one) considering they’ll share a faction tag (assuming of course)

Why wouldnt it matter? EP lead dominated sith until Traya came out. Chaze dominated until CLS.

Assuming they are both jedi doesnt mean one wont be better than the other. And a jedi luke might match up better with other rebels while jedi revan would match up better with other jedi. Why do I think Jedi Luke would match with rebels more you ask? Simple, that is who he fought with. Let's remember, it was the rebels that ultimately destroyed the empire, not the jedi.
  • Lets see a week of double drops. I'd drop $100 instantly if we got a week of double drops before the event ended.
  • shb
    49 posts Member
    BubbaFett wrote: »
    mesa176750 wrote: »
    Wow, it doesn't take much with some.people.....

1- Revan was never announced as a legendary.
    2- He hasn't been announced as a hero's journey either
    3- This event will likely be back around January, you can get him then

I'm pretty sure it says Hero's Journey in the dev post.

Nope.....
    Have you heard the tale of the Hero who led the Jedi to victory against the Mandalorians in the ancient war? How the Savior of the Republic faced down the armies of Mandalore and took their leader’s mask? Or, perhaps, the story of a great fall and a return to the light? Learn all about one of the great mysteries and myths of the Old Republic. Prepare to follow the journey of... Jedi Knight Revan!
    Are you ready to face the dark side with Jedi Knight Revan? You will need the following characters at 7 stars to complete the event and unlock a 7 star Jedi Knight Revan:

It's a Hero's Journey bruh,
    100% he unlocks at 7*.
    And all us dolphins and minnows are not opening the wallets because what's the point.
  • Few months ago i didnt even know who was revan. So it doesnt matter
  • Vendi1983
    5018 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    @thewhitegift

My point was that with a longer announcement/release window the amount of $$ required would be far less than $1000 and it might have pushed minnows and dolphins to actually invest a bit more than they normally would. Or did you miss that part.

Add 2 to 4 weeks to the Panic Farming and you'll be much further ahead than having it drop on Oct 18th.
  • It's only about $500 to get all 5 if you wait till they hit shipments. I've bought my share from shipments refuse to get them in the packs. $100 per toon in shipments compared to $300 from packs
  • Vendi1983 wrote: »
    @thewhitegift

My point was that with a longer announcement/release window the amount of $$ required would be far less than $1000 and it might have pushed minnows and dolphins to actually invest a bit more than they normally would. Or did you miss that part.

Add 2 to 4 weeks to the Panic Farming and you'll be much further ahead than having it drop on Oct 18th.

Yea but then u have a bunch of ppl running around with revan in arena
  • Jeric
    271 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    Vendi1983 wrote: »
    @thewhitegift

I represent point 2 on your post and it’s completely accurate. Here’s my situation. I bought Bastilla’s $9.99 pack and when she hit shipments with Jolee I brought her her 7*. That investment was fair. I believe it cost me about a $100 to do so. I was motivated by her kit and the fact that she would likely be needed by Revan. I wanted a chance to unlock him at 7*. When I ignored Solo and focused on the other OR toons when they all when in their various nodes. My plan when the reveal trailer was to use all fefreshes and even buy an extra one or two a day. When the packs came out I would buy them to help finish and budgeted $100 for any clean up. That’s a planned $300 investment for Revan. As it stands a two week window until the event closes kills my plan, so simply said I’m not going to worry about it. I’m not spending to roll the dice I’ll be ready, especially since Chewie was so blasted hard to get to 7*.

I basically was given incentive to not spend. Yeah five or six in my shard will have him. But if I can’t unlock him he won’t be that insane. If there was an extra week then I would have opened my wallet and kept with the plan since I’d now be competing against other dolphins.

The move was a poor call on their part because I’ll just wait the six months. I also am not going to freak about possible future toons like Jedi Luke because I’m expecting the same thing to happen. This may be a really really bad call from EA/CG for long term patronage. Time will tell of course. But I at least invested to prepare and not being close is a tad annoying.

Here’s my profile if you all want validation

https://swgoh.gg/p/582975952/characters/?f=Old+Republic

• Vendi1983
    5018 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    @Reyalp @Jeric

Thanks for understanding/agreeing. And for Jeric, that's a real shame that the investment didn't pay off, and is, I think, a more valid argument than most F2P players on here.
  • shb wrote: »
    mesa176750 wrote: »
    Wow, it doesn't take much with some.people.....

1- Revan was never announced as a legendary.
    2- He hasn't been announced as a hero's journey either
    3- This event will likely be back around January, you can get him then

I'm pretty sure it says Hero's Journey in the dev post.

Nope.....
    Have you heard the tale of the Hero who led the Jedi to victory against the Mandalorians in the ancient war? How the Savior of the Republic faced down the armies of Mandalore and took their leader’s mask? Or, perhaps, the story of a great fall and a return to the light? Learn all about one of the great mysteries and myths of the Old Republic. Prepare to follow the journey of... Jedi Knight Revan!
    Are you ready to face the dark side with Jedi Knight Revan? You will need the following characters at 7 stars to complete the event and unlock a 7 star Jedi Knight Revan:

It's a Hero's Journey bruh,
    100% he unlocks at 7*.
    And all us dolphins and minnows are not opening the wallets because what's the point.

If this is going to be a Hero's Journey Event I will shut down my forum account. It wouldn't be worth reading anything here as their own "wordings" are false or falsly used, which should never happen in a game.
    In all seriousness, we had 2 previous Hero's Journey Events and they always had the full title of "Hero's Journey Event" in their description. Neither does it say, "this is a new type of event" which is something that has been announced usually as a new feature as well.

Unless reworded by the Devs, there is logical doubt. What they basically would be saying is for two times 1+1=2, but then change and say 2+2=2. It looks similar, but it isn't if you pay attention.

5 more or less specific 7 Stars for 7 Stars Character is the normal Legendary, too. With OR we have only those 5 being tagged as such. Additionally, 6 for 6 could be as true as 5 for 5.

Again going back to the original announcements:
    JTR's Event stated [not the exact wording but the same meaning] "you will need 7* characters to fully unlock 7* JTR".

Example:
    You should ALWAYS be able to rely on:
    The wording the Devs have chosen, has been chosen on purpose.

They write only 5+5=10, we know it will be 10 and nothing else
    They write =10, and we're lacking information. What is 10? 50 divided by 5?
  • Boo wrote: »
    So funny, everyone getting upset - they have done this before (phoenix for Thrawn or Vets & BB8 for JTR) - they want us all to panic farm and spend money on crystals and packs - this is a business and they are making money.

I won't get Revan - been waiting for him since day one (started playing back in Nov 2015), and can honestly say I wont get him. This time, but will pick away at farming Old Republic and get him soon enough, like I have CLS, Thrawn, JTR, Chewie etc etc etc.

No need to get upset, just focus, take a breather and get him when you can - no big deal.

I feel the complaints are legitimate to be honest. You’re right they have done the panic thing before with Thrawn and Rey but those farms fail in comparison with this.

I went back and checked the update log: Shan and Jolee were released around September 12th, the other 3 OR toons were released around September 26. The event goes live October 18...which is literally less than a month of time to farm.

I’ve also played since 2015 and always got the toons the first time around cause I focus on farming things early. For this event however time was not on our side. Since farming OR since day one I’m still gonna be short. That’s something that I’ve never had happen to me before.

For some players Revan isn’t a big deal for others it is. But everyone can agree not giving us a full month to farm 5 toons to 7* is a bit much ask.

I understand no one wants to miss out on a possible new meta(especially people like me that get arena ranks 1-3 on a daily basis). And waiting 6 months to get him means you’re behind the meta curve and chances are the meta will change by the time the event comes back around.

I was gonna spend $200 dollars or so to get my toons to 7*(despite the fact I have farmed them since they were released), but now I’m more sure of my priorities now that I’ve decided I will not spend to get him and wait til later. In my own way I guess it feels like I can give them the finger by not doing what they honestly want people to do(which is to spend more than a normal amount of $$$$), and I’m ok with that.

Most people can come off as entitled....but in this case I think we can give them the benefit of the doubt and say the real problem here is EA not giving the players who support them by playing this game a bone by allowing us more time to farm 5 toons instead of just 2(like the vets or all 5 like the Phenoix...when they put 2 of those in shops for us to use currency we had stored up).

Had they put at least one or two of the Old Republic toons in a Guild/Catina/Arena/GW shop it wouldn’t be as bad.

Adding all 5 to hard nodes and not even giving us a full month to farm them is asking quite much i find. That is something I think Whales/Dolphins/F2P can all agree with.

I rarely post on these forums anymore cause there are too many that complain and are basically just too rude and frankly that stuff doesn’t interest me.

But 5 toons to farm in less than a month from hard nodes is fairly legitimate I feel and the community should voice their thoughts. If the toons were added 2 months ago I’d probably feel differently.

What bothers me is that this is possibly the new Norm...and if it is....they are gonna lose players if this becomes the new trend.
  • I just wanted to applaud CG. There appears to be a lot of crying going on and the word greedy being thrown around most likely. The difficulty of the farm and the notice given, make perfect sense in every single way, and if u cant understand this then u need to use your brain more. Throwing a bone to the ppl that spend money is a actually a kind gesture, not greed, to those that keep the game going for the ppl that hardly spend any money or no money at all. What do u guys want? 6 months notice and an easy farm and then everybody has revan first time around. That would make zero sense in every way. You gotta work for it or pay up. Do not forget, this is how life works and this is a business.

Well I doubt whales are the majority of their revenue but rather dolphins which are getting screwed on this one. But you're right its business, just not good business. They already got your $, just losing out of a lot more not to mention future purchases. You can try and justify that your $1500 is more valuable than 20-30 others $200each is but....
  • Germi
    553 posts Member
    We are having a lot of burnouts at the moment. This is a sad day.
  • I always try to post in these sorts of topics with a sort of middle of the road perspective. I get the business side, I get the players side.

This is... extreme. No. Not surprising. But extreme nonetheless. I get the quarterly money grab, all companies do it.

I am also totally okay with a character that is exclusive... But, I thought Chewie was exclusive enough. Only a few of my guildmates got it, and we're a HSTR-farming, pretty good guild, but it wasn't out of reach. I felt like it was a fair event - you would need to dedicate resources/time/maybe money into unlocking him, and it took consideration into how you wanted to move forward.

This doesn't really involve a decision though, as I imagine it's just completely out of reach financially for a majority of the people who invest into this game. I'm fine with him not being unlocked now, and I'll get him later - that's cool and all.

But the unspoken rules keep changing, and I can understand completely why people are upset. There were promises of more reasonable farms, more information, etc. We got the tease and all knew what general type of event was happening with the OR releases, and I imagine a lot of players decided they wouldn't be able to get him to 7* but that minimal investment to 5* was worth it for TB/TW. But then the 7* unlock is severe blindsiding.

On top of all of that though... The event packs are on sale now, the panic farm has started... for a character we haven't even seen - and I think that's my biggest rub. We aren't even informed fully on what it is we are farming for. Do we expect a good character? Yes. It should be someone who eclipses Thrawn/Traya/CLS/JTR by far, given the steep cost of the ticket.... But we don't know, and that's shady to me.

So... Alright, cool. To those that can/will get Revan, that's awesome and I'm genuinely happy for you - but even I'm someone who typically can accept the business practices around here, and this is just a really bad showing. The make goods from before only go so far when you kick the players further down than when you lifted them up the last time.

There's customer based business, there's profitable business, and there's sustainable business... A good company has a mix of all of them - but moves like this are only intended for one thing.