[Mega] An Ancient Journey of Redemption

Replies

• Edison wrote: »
    I always try to post in these sorts of topics with a sort of middle of the road perspective. I get the business side, I get the players side.

This is... extreme. No. Not surprising. But extreme nonetheless. I get the quarterly money grab, all companies do it.

I am also totally okay with a character that is exclusive... But, I thought Chewie was exclusive enough. Only a few of my guildmates got it, and we're a HSTR-farming, pretty good guild, but it wasn't out of reach. I felt like it was a fair event - you would need to dedicate resources/time/maybe money into unlocking him, and it took consideration into how you wanted to move forward.

This doesn't really involve a decision though, as I imagine it's just completely out of reach financially for a majority of the people who invest into this game. I'm fine with him not being unlocked now, and I'll get him later - that's cool and all.

But the unspoken rules keep changing, and I can understand completely why people are upset. There were promises of more reasonable farms, more information, etc. We got the tease and all knew what general type of event was happening with the OR releases, and I imagine a lot of players decided they wouldn't be able to get him to 7* but that minimal investment to 5* was worth it for TB/TW. But then the 7* unlock is severe blindsiding.

On top of all of that though... The event packs are on sale now, the panic farm has started... for a character we haven't even seen - and I think that's my biggest rub. We aren't even informed fully on what it is we are farming for. Do we expect a good character? Yes. It should be someone who eclipses Thrawn/Traya/CLS/JTR by far, given the steep cost of the ticket.... But we don't know, and that's shady to me.

So... Alright, cool. To those that can/will get Revan, that's awesome and I'm genuinely happy for you - but even I'm someone who typically can accept the business practices around here, and this is just a really bad showing. The make goods from before only go so far when you kick the players further down than when you lifted them up the last time.

There's customer based business, there's profitable business, and there's sustainable business... A good company has a mix of all of them - but moves like this are only intended for one thing.

Releasing packs and farming and asking for money...BEFORE you even reveal the kit...is pretty disgusting to me
  • Ultra
    11449 posts Moderator
    CaptainRex wrote: »
    I've discussed this before, but with the release of Sith Fighter, we REALLY need more fleet energy! Seriously, we have multiple farms that are Fleet exclusive (and more incoming I bet), and if the devs ever respond, I'm sure they'll say something like "Well, you could have farmed OR toons with fleet energy and regular energy" (Which I have been doing, and guess what? I'm still way short, but back on topic).
    We definitely need another 45 bonus energy (afternoon makes perfect sense).
    my problem with the community is that they cry too late

A few small minority has been vocal about getting HK the old republic but the community at large showed no support and was more interested in talking about Beckett

The fleet energy is the absolute worst farmable location in the game. Toons exclusive to that node are on an extremely slow farm and people really need to let the devs know how awful the system is but instead they will wait until CG releases a toon on that node who is needed at 7* two days later

Even with crystal and node refresh it’s not worth it at all. You know a farming location is awful when shipments are a better farming location
  • Edison wrote: »
    I always try to post in these sorts of topics with a sort of middle of the road perspective. I get the business side, I get the players side.

This is... extreme. No. Not surprising. But extreme nonetheless. I get the quarterly money grab, all companies do it.

I am also totally okay with a character that is exclusive... But, I thought Chewie was exclusive enough. Only a few of my guildmates got it, and we're a HSTR-farming, pretty good guild, but it wasn't out of reach. I felt like it was a fair event - you would need to dedicate resources/time/maybe money into unlocking him, and it took consideration into how you wanted to move forward.

This doesn't really involve a decision though, as I imagine it's just completely out of reach financially for a majority of the people who invest into this game. I'm fine with him not being unlocked now, and I'll get him later - that's cool and all.

But the unspoken rules keep changing, and I can understand completely why people are upset. There were promises of more reasonable farms, more information, etc. We got the tease and all knew what general type of event was happening with the OR releases, and I imagine a lot of players decided they wouldn't be able to get him to 7* but that minimal investment to 5* was worth it for TB/TW. But then the 7* unlock is severe blindsiding.

On top of all of that though... The event packs are on sale now, the panic farm has started... for a character we haven't even seen - and I think that's my biggest rub. We aren't even informed fully on what it is we are farming for. Do we expect a good character? Yes. It should be someone who eclipses Thrawn/Traya/CLS/JTR by far, given the steep cost of the ticket.... But we don't know, and that's shady to me.

So... Alright, cool. To those that can/will get Revan, that's awesome and I'm genuinely happy for you - but even I'm someone who typically can accept the business practices around here, and this is just a really bad showing. The make goods from before only go so far when you kick the players further down than when you lifted them up the last time.

There's customer based business, there's profitable business, and there's sustainable business... A good company has a mix of all of them - but moves like this are only intended for one thing.

Well said bud
  • That's going to be a walles event. All the F2P are disabled to take Revan 7☆. Is this what you want in this game? A few players with the best characters and the rest? Only for money?
  • there are plenty of F2P players getting Revan. They just planned accordingly. They hoarded crystals and now are spending them. It's possible.
  • TrowaJedi wrote: »
    I just have to ask, if you are F2P, do you really expect to be able to get new content the second it comes out? If that was how new content worked, would there be anyone paying any money for the game? This isn't the first time that this has happened. It happened on CLS and JTR. I'm just at a loss reading all these responses. I don't know of a single game where you can play it for free and get early access to content. Please someone explain to me the logic of being upset here. I honestly do not get it. Most of the posts seem to just say the same thing. "We are upset you made it so if we want to get this character we really want right now, we have to spend a lot of money".

Let's examine the above. If you really want this character, but don't want to spend the money, then you need to take your time, farm and get him next time he shows up. In project management, you have 3 variables, time, effort and money. If you want to shorten the time, you have to increase the money or effort involved. If you want to spend less money, you have to increase the time. All the complaints I see just make me think that the player base is greedy and wants something for nothing. I'm not trying to be insulting, I'm just saying this is how things look to me as a peer in my opinion.

The bold statement is not correct at all at least not 100% unless you are newer to the industry and only have been playing in models like this. I guess in a format like this for the most part where the game is designed for P2P and the goal is to get people to spend. This model was not there in the beginning. I mean I guess paying a monthly sub for $9.99(UO may have been $15 but that was long ago) is P2P but everything in the game was obtainable the moment new content came out without any extra financial investment. The investment was not $ but the time and the grind. I have been in many guilds/kinships that we were world/server first to take down and receive the new shiny items and no money was required again other then a monthly sub. So maybe not F2P but smaller then a minnow.

And yes people do have a right to be upset. I understand whales have the right to spend but the issue is not as you pointed out that I see as much as in the past new toons meant you should grind for upcoming event but with so many releases of new toons from so many different time lines in the SW universe it is hard to know what to expect. Which I think shows the greed of CG for this. In the past players were able to predict based on release of toons what was coming and could grind instead of spending. For a company this is not good so how do they retain their goal to make money. They come up with a plan to make it unpredictable which means people will have to spend.

I guess people need to remember this is a for profit business with one goal to generate revenue. No revenue no game so yes whales, dolphins, and minnows are needed. But this new model is making really hard for the F2P to even catch up the next go around or even the third. Eventually and we are seeing it and people are posting about it the F2P and even the P2P who spend only a little are starting to disappear. There needs to be a balance but the company seems only concerned at the moment with a cash grab.

If you pay a subscription you a P2P. I've played many other games before and any game that is multiplayer is always paying customers get new content first or extended access where as F2P get the same content later or limited access. You didn't name a single game where you could pay no money at all and get all the same things at the same time as people who paid money.

You say that people have the right to be upset because you are saying that its hard to expect what is coming next. People have been on the forums for months saying that the Old Republic characters meant that Revan was coming. Can you farm them to 7* before the event without paying any money? I don't think that is possible but once again, I feel like in 3-4 months when this event comes back you could. It comes back to people wanting to get something brand new for free. Many people have even posted already that they would be able to get it the second round.

I can understand if people have an issue with the amount that you have to pay to be able to access that content, but voice your opinion and move on. We can't control what other people do, only how we react to it. and lately, I've thought the reactions are considerably worse than the actions being taken.
  • Germi
    553 posts Member
    So instead of having marquee - marquee - marquee we are having marquee - legendary - heroes journey marquee style ... this is an interesting change
  • They give us no chance... to get revan I must have sell my kidney or... liver...if I want to get him now. why so fast.. why no in December. I really waited for new TB or maybe general grivious rework but this... this is wrong way and im very disappointed. And now you are not responding CG... Just imagine how many players are upset of that fact.
  • raybron99 wrote: »
    For true fans of KoTOR, Revan has been highly sought after in SWGOH. The pure emotions from hearing that Revan is being added to the game was a top 10 moment for those who love the old republic lore. Most were excited to farm and to spend a bit to unlock Revan at a minimum of 5*. However, now that this legendary event was changed into a Hero's journey, the wind has been completely taken out of our sails. My since of pride and accomplishment is no longer attainable anytime soon.
    The reason we dont like marquee evens is that for most players not being able to use a character at 3* simply doesn't generate any type of excitement for us. By the time the marquees are added to a hard node farm, then farmed, the toon is no longer relevant. Now this new model, of pay to win only, not only does it delay the gratification of the new release, it flat out angers me. I'm a day one player and I've always had a since that if I farmed hard that the end goal was attainable. Not so much any more. Simply heart broken over the choices that are being made here.

Good characters are certainly not irrelevant once they are farmable. I just finished Bossk and he is awesome. Get over it and get in in a few months like everyone else who failed to prepare correctly.

I'm sorry but I dont need a troll to tell me what to get over. I'm happy you just got bossk finished, Ive had him finished for a long time now. I can tell you're not in a competitive TW guild, by the way you replied in such an ignorant way. Just because our expectations don't align don't mean we are weong to voice our opinions. So, you you have something constructive to add to this discussion, please di.
  • I won't have him either but I'm going to assume we will get this event again right before the very first Hero's Fall to get Darth Revan! Hopefully this is like the BB8 event to get JTR.
  • Ultra
    11449 posts Moderator
    Germi wrote: »
    So instead of having marquee - marquee - marquee we are having marquee - legendary - heroes journey marquee style ... this is an interesting change
    they actually said they sped up the release on chewbacca legendary because of marquee complaints

• Bill0207
    375 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    While I do agree with the unfairness of this event I do think it's still possible. One of my guild mates is probably going to be getting him and I'm in a completely f2p guild. Alot of people hoarded crystals for moments like this. No matter how the community feels about this event we just gotta accept that cg knows how bad we want revan and they're gonna milk as much money from it as possible cause the point of the game is to make money. Just farm your old republic characters and get him the next time around like the rest of community. It's the same process for the other legendary or heros journey characters
  • yohann269 wrote: »
    there are plenty of F2P players getting Revan. They just planned accordingly. They hoarded crystals and now are spending them. It's possible.

I've been farming Bastilla since she went FTP and I don't have her 7* yet.
  • Can we please get confirmation today on whether double drops will be coming or not? A little absurd if not.
  • Guys this is just a testament to ineptitude is there would have been initiated a Panic Farm for Darth Revan it would have made so much money it's stupid but them doing this for Jedi Knight Revan makes absolutely no sense logistically
  • Germi
    553 posts Member
    Ultra wrote: »
    Germi wrote: »
    they actually said they sped up the release on chewbacca legendary because of marquee complaints

Ok. Thank you !
  • Vendi1983 wrote: »
    @thewhitegift

I think the biggest problem from a business model standpoint is this: they missed their crucial window to attract more money.

1 - Whales and Krakens will spend regardless of the timeline/release cadence. They could have done 2 weeks or 4 weeks notice. Most W&K are already done farming & gearing them.

2 - Dolphins and Minnows that were close might invest. However; many that had just started working on OR look at the timeline and realize the immense investment required in a week and won't bite. This is an event where EA/CG could have potentially pushed many Minnows up to Dolphins or Dolphins up to Whales, etc, if the release was slightly longer.

3 - Furthering point 2; this would have guaranteed a higher income going forward. Gaming and gambling are both proven to be addictive. EA knows this and literally banks on it. So by bumping M to D and D to W they've created new sets of higher spending players. Players that now realize that with a bit more spending next time they'll stay on or ahead of the curve.

So much this. Whales and krackens already have the OR chars at 7* or would have picked them up at 7* the second they revealed Revan required them anyway. The timing of the event doesn't change the opinion of any true whales or krackens. Most dolphins/minnows/guppies/whatever you want to call the smaller fish are completely turned off by the timeline, they know it will take WAY more money than they want to spend to get 7* and geared. They effectively see the line and got spooked. No bite for CG.

F2P, without hoarding crystals and temporarily living the whale life via their crystal dumping, are of course completely out of luck on this event the first time around.
  • thatguy181 wrote: »
    Vendi1983 wrote: »
    @thewhitegift

I think the biggest problem from a business model standpoint is this: they missed their crucial window to attract more money.

1 - Whales and Krakens will spend regardless of the timeline/release cadence. They could have done 2 weeks or 4 weeks notice. Most W&K are already done farming & gearing them.

2 - Dolphins and Minnows that were close might invest. However; many that had just started working on OR look at the timeline and realize the immense investment required in a week and won't bite. This is an event where EA/CG could have potentially pushed many Minnows up to Dolphins or Dolphins up to Whales, etc, if the release was slightly longer.

3 - Furthering point 2; this would have guaranteed a higher income going forward. Gaming and gambling are both proven to be addictive. EA knows this and literally banks on it. So by bumping M to D and D to W they've created new sets of higher spending players. Players that now realize that with a bit more spending next time they'll stay on or ahead of the curve.

So much this. Whales and krackens already have the OR chars at 7* or would have picked them up at 7* the second they revealed Revan required them anyway. The timing of the event doesn't change the opinion of any true whales or krackens. Most dolphins/minnows/guppies/whatever you want to call the smaller fish are completely turned off by the timeline, they know it will take WAY more money than they want to spend to get 7* and geared. They effectively see the line and got spooked. No bite for CG.

F2P, without hoarding crystals and temporarily living the whale life via their crystal dumping, are of course completely out of luck on this event the first time around.

Agreed. To add I suspect that because they must know they are loosing the dolphin income they're going to make the difficulty g12(+?) along with top tier 5A/6E mods to encourage whales to go full kracken. that's the only way I see them not loosing money by discouraging dolphins from spending. Normally I get the sense they get money from panic farming to * the toons but they're obviously not going to get that income which only leaves forcing whales to panic mod & gear to g12(+) & 6E.

If they do that it also means the dolphins and F2P are looking at only having a good shot the 4th to 6th time around unless they intentionally neglect gearing toons for all other aspects of the game.
  • CoolAndFresh
    34 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    Shame! Shame! Shame!

I will spend money on this game when I see the value (i.e. it increases my enjoyment). This character release is just plain insulting to me as a paying player. You want my money, fine, offer value at a reasonable price, don't try to gouge me or force panic purchases.
    Post edited by Kyno on
  • TideWarrior
    90 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    TrowaJedi[/quote]If you pay a subscription you a P2P. I've played many other games before and any game that is multiplayer is always paying customers get new content first or extended access where as F2P get the same content later or limited access. You didn't name a single game where you could pay no money at all and get all the same things at the same time as people who paid money.
    [/quote]

Multiple MMOs I started playing for what now 20+ years. UO monthly sub, SWG monthly sub, LOTRO, SWTOR, etc, even WoW I believe was only a monthly sub. Sorry but if you want to compare a 10-20 monthly sub to what whales pay on here you are completely lost. Yes I paid monthly in those but everything was available to any player that did as well the moment it hit the game. The difference there was the argument between raiding players and non-raiding who complained the items were hidden behind a raid wall. But in those games there was times I did not raid and did not need any raid gear to be competitive in PvE or PvP. Big difference again in a small monthly sub and dropping 300-500 in panic farming to get an in game item.

And for the record when LOTRO came out in 07 they offered a life time subscription(just $99) so I purchased it and since never paid a dime and got every item the moment it came out. They did a few years back offer was to purchase items with real money but no end game gear.
    Post edited by TideWarrior on
  • Well the Devs ever jump in on this topic?
  • Exactly. They knew how the community would respond. They just decided it was worth it, anyway. It's the income from this that will determine whether they continue to push the envelope.
  • Boldly, warrior stepped up to show that marketing miscalculated on the value of putting out a toon many had asked for, but where again, I ask where it leads?? If a nee raid then fine, but so far we are less than a week out and so far I see no absolute necessity to move forward, and honesty I dont want one. The original post was a play off of the timing. Warrior pointed out, rightly, (having an MBA myself) that to invest in something so sudden with toons only those who buy everything would do loses money for them. I've paid a lot in this game, when Zam first came it u bought her to the hilt, then her rework, then her zeta... but for what?? She looks good adding greedo and others whi have detonators, but then chewy came out and that zeta wa were worthless, there were a few who managed to get him, honestly how many got him out of a Zam lead???? Point iu s eveb Zam.. had a point, although I felt mislead I chose to zeta her. What is the meta need for this new character that puts it in a need to buy? Give it to me and I'll invest but so far the money/panic grab us pointless if you gave 100 other characters to use, which I do. Warrior pointed out the market, I'm saying, I'm the market but so far there is no reason to bother. So if its built as a lesson to behaviorly buy then or your screwed, and JKL comes out haveung somehow having needed revan. The point will be lost on most, and the few of us who do get it only will be angry and feel ta kj em advantage of having not any real reason put out for the need. That leaves a tiny group of yet to be whales. The analogy is perfect cuz it symbolizes the ongoing cash grab, but at least, like Zam, there seemed to be a path, this time I'm saying to the devs, you may have one, but not letting us know the path is a mistake. Before, as a therapist myself, I knew the path forward for paying, the marketing department has moved from understanding the player to only understanding the product, and that wont sell.
  • Wow. What an insightful, well thought out thread. This is the first one of these that I’ve seen.
  • Mr_Sausage wrote: »
    Wow. What an insightful, well thought out thread. This is the first one of these that I’ve seen.

And were it not for your insightful, well thought out comment I would have never seen this thread.
  • yohann269 wrote: »
    there are plenty of F2P players getting Revan. They just planned accordingly. They hoarded crystals and now are spending them. It's possible.

So they're living the whale life by dumping crystals? I'm willing to bet that the very large majority of F2P players are not in such position. F2P players are clearly NOT welcome to Revan the first time around.
  • MAndrewMX wrote: »
    Boldly, warrior stepped up to show that marketing miscalculated on the value of putting out a toon many had asked for, but where again, I ask where it leads?? If a nee raid then fine, but so far we are less than a week out and so far I see no absolute necessity to move forward, and honesty I dont want one. The original post was a play off of the timing. Warrior pointed out, rightly, (having an MBA myself) that to invest in something so sudden with toons only those who buy everything would do loses money for them. I've paid a lot in this game, when Zam first came it u bought her to the hilt, then her rework, then her zeta... but for what?? She looks good adding greedo and others whi have detonators, but then chewy came out and that zeta wa were worthless, there were a few who managed to get him, honestly how many got him out of a Zam lead???? Point iu s eveb Zam.. had a point, although I felt mislead I chose to zeta her. What is the meta need for this new character that puts it in a need to buy? Give it to me and I'll invest but so far the money/panic grab us pointless if you gave 100 other characters to use, which I do. Warrior pointed out the market, I'm saying, I'm the market but so far there is no reason to bother. So if its built as a lesson to behaviorly buy then or your screwed, and JKL comes out haveung somehow having needed revan. The point will be lost on most, and the few of us who do get it only will be angry and feel ta kj em advantage of having not any real reason put out for the need. That leaves a tiny group of yet to be whales. The analogy is perfect cuz it symbolizes the ongoing cash grab, but at least, like Zam, there seemed to be a path, this time I'm saying to the devs, you may have one, but not letting us know the path is a mistake. Before, as a therapist myself, I knew the path forward for paying, the marketing department has moved from understanding the player to only understanding the product, and that wont sell.

An MBA Therapist, you say?
  • @CG_SBCrumb

You're my favorite of the Dev team. I'm currently in NC dealing with a tropical storm with very little to do other than play games in the dark until the cell reception eventually fails. It would be a great pick-me-up to get a Revan kit reveal today. Thanks!
  • DyloBin wrote: »
    @CG_SBCrumb

You're my favorite of the Dev team. I'm currently in NC dealing with a tropical storm with very little to do other than play games in the dark until the cell reception eventually fails. It would be a great pick-me-up to get a Revan kit reveal today. Thanks!

Tomorrow. Around 3:00 EST. :)