It's the unknowing that's troublesome

Ironicstan
73 posts Member
edited October 2018
I'm not sure how I feel about the announcement of the Revan event. I was certain it wouldn't be a hero's journey type. My idea of a hero's joruney would be taking an existing character and take them on a journey via various story driven missions to turn them into a hero. As we have seen with Luke and Rey. But, alas, I was wrong. I was hoping it would be more of a legendary event as we just had with Chewbacca. But why would Revan be just a legendary event? He is much bigger of a character isn't he? He is.

So we can say this is kind of a big event for this game. This isn't a character we can unlock at half strength. We can only unlock them at full strength. As we have seen with Luke and Rey, even long after their release, they are still very viable in many aspects of the game. So I would assume Revan will also be as viable.

So why make such a big event such a secret and a surprise? Why not give us a chance to actually prepare for such a big event without having to speculate and guess what is coming or when it is coming.

Who is the real target audience for this event? The people who spent the most money? The people who speculated correctly? I already have Bastila at 7 star, but I still need over 1000 shards to get Revan. I know it is impossible this time around. I'm okay with not getting him this time around. Just as I was okay with not getting Luke and Rey the first time around. I know the event will come back, but what bothers me is the unknowing of when it will come back.

What is the point of keeping everything a secret until the last moment? What kind of game are we actually playing here? Galaxies of heroes almost feels a little like D&D. Except with a game master who doesn't know how to properly run a game. Let's throw our players into an impossible situation and see who is lucky enough (or rich enough) to win the game.

Replies

• Why must people know everything?... This game is not overly complicated, if you want to have Revan, then farm the 5 old Republic toons and you will get Revan.... Whether he comes in 3 months, four months or a year is irrelevant.... If you really want him, imagine worst case (3 months), and be ready for.it....
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    What legendary/hero's journey we had information longer than a week before? This has always been the nature of the beast.

However even if you knew you could have done nothing about it either with a huge pile of saved crystals (40k+) or spending a good amount. The event is geared towards dolphin+. I won't say it's for whales/krakens because I've already seen many dolphins budging in for this event. But anyone with a lesser spending grade simply can't afford it. And I'm glad that's the case. Lesser Revans walking around in the near future.
  • I think you missed my point or maybe I didn't get it across clearly. This isn't a minor event. This isn't a credit heist that we or may not get weekly. This isn't a raid that we can slowly progress our way through.

This seems to be an event for a character that will be more viable than most. So why not allow the players more time to prepare? Or at least give a proper calendar time line for such a character.

The reason I continue to play this game is because of the length time it takes to collect and level up every character. I'm tired of the way people keep jumping from one trendy game to the next. I'm glad that this game allows for the player to take the time to build their communities to strengthen the game even more.

However as you have probably already seen in numerous posts, people are not happy with this event already. People are not happy with the way any of the events are released. So why continue to release the events in this fashion?

You offer easy solutions--collect and wait. But why should I have to wait so unknowingly? Why should panic spending be considered a viable way to appease the developers? I would more willing to drop a few dollars here and there over time instead of spending 9,000 yen (I live in Japan--a tad over $80) for something that still won't even get me close to getting him at such a short notice of time.
  • People are not happy no matter what they do .... They complain about marquee events, they complain about legendary events, etc etc. etc......

They could hand out a G12+ triple zeta Revan and people would complain...... And
  • how was it a surprise to you?
    since july 5. you knew they were needed when they released the road ahead
    maybe you wouldnt expect it to be revan but maybe malak instead
    but nontheless you knew something will come that requires those 5 kotor toons
    being completely unprepared for over 5 months is not cgs fault by any means
    while i dont want to defend the monetizing of revan its basicallys the same routine as rey
    but it was definitely possible to get ready with no or small amounts of money
    if you just randomly start now after the gave you a date its by far too late and always was
    you definitely needed t refresh the nodes from the getgo and some shards from the shop in advance
    so it wasnt really speculating if you play the game long enough to see some event launches
  • This is far from my fault. I cannot forsee the future. I cannot tell you who or who won't be released. As I stated, I already have Bastila at 7 star. I've already started farming.

For me to precisely guess who will be released at any given time is impossible. There have been way too many characters released this year to make an exact guess. For you to say it is my fault would mean you knew exactly when and what time Revan was going to be released.

If I had known precisely when he was going to be released and then waited one week before to make this post, then it's my fault.

For all we know, Dr Aphra may be the next legendary event. How can I make that guess? For one, I really like her in the comics and two, we have many characters in the game she has interacted with.
  • Because people who spend a lot of money deserve to gain an advantage from that spending. Traya is no longer a big advantage as every serious player has her by now (if you're still in a guild that can't unlock her, you're not a seriously player). Chewy is neat, but is very easy to beat with a few teams. Revan is the answer. It's that simple. The unknowing is irrelevant if your spending isn't capped. Would you give a company thousands of dollars for the exact same product you could get for free? Sounds insane, huh?
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    edited October 2018
    Rmaxtpmx wrote: »
    Because people who spend a lot of money deserve to gain an advantage from that spending. Traya is no longer a big advantage as every serious player has her by now (if you're still in a guild that can't unlock her, you're not a seriously player). Chewy is neat, but is very easy to beat with a few teams. Revan is the answer. It's that simple. The unknowing is irrelevant if your spending isn't capped. Would you give a company thousands of dollars for the exact same product you could get for free? Sounds insane, huh?

People will sleep on a sidewalk to get something early and has unknown issues just to get it "first", they will also pay the same as someone who gets it later, sometimes paying more..... there are many perspectives of "insane"
  • If your not ready, farm now, be ready the next time. Same as every other legendary/hero’s journey..
    I missed Rey first time as I was convinced she kitten, I was wrong, but I got her the second time around...
    I was busy farming for chewie and didn’t get started early enough on the kotor toons, so I’ll get it next time around.
  • vincentlondon
    4527 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    I just got JTR today so revan i ll get him in 2019 or 2020.
  • This is the way it's been since the beginning. Just keep chugging along and be ready for next time. Also Jedi like will be coming at some point. They gave us a sample of what the required units will most likely be with Chewbacca. They give hints about what's coming with releases of new toons. Take the hints in the future and try to be ready for future events. That's just the way this game goes.
  • Princerhaegar4
    35 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    It's such a blatant cash move. You cash out on chewie which is not a great toon, then you drop Revan news and oh by the way you have a a few days to do it and you'll need 5 horrible toons that are a horrible version of Phoenix squad. They are bantha fodder yet you will need them to get Revan. I would have defintley spent on him directly, but you're not getting me to pay you for horrible toons to get one good one. Makes no sense. I'll wait. Good luck to the panic farmers. #shame
  • It's such a blatant cash move. You cash out on chewie which is not a great toon, then you drop Revan news and oh by the way you have a a few days to do it and you'll need 5 horrible toons that are a horrible version of Phoenix squad. They are bantha fodder yet you will need them to get Revan. I would have defintley spent on him directly, but you're not getting me to pay you for horrible toons to get one good one. Makes no sense. I'll wait. Good luck to the panic farmers. #shame

Yes I agree. As much as I want revan I will wait
  • Knowing is only half the battle, thanks GI Joe!
  • Tanzos
    219 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    Here is a better way to look at it. Think of this as a showing the product to shareholders first before they release the product to the public. There's no way anyone's getting Revan without spending enough to basically be a shareholder of this game, so when they actually release Revan to the regular public, we'll get him for free after we farmed the OR characters hard from now til the next time he returns.

PS, I think it's a bit of a low blow for everyone asking for Revan for so long. I don't like it, but I don't have to hate it.
  • It's such a blatant cash move. You cash out on chewie which is not a great toon, then you drop Revan news and oh by the way you have a a few days to do it and you'll need 5 horrible toons that are a horrible version of Phoenix squad. They are bantha fodder yet you will need them to get Revan. I would have defintley spent on him directly, but you're not getting me to pay you for horrible toons to get one good one. Makes no sense. I'll wait. Good luck to the panic farmers. #shame

Horrible? Bastilla is meta, T3 most likely will be. And Joelee's zeta is probably designed around Revan and will be amazing. Most people haven't had a chance to really play a geared version of any OR toons yet aside from Bastilla, they may be pretty decent. They certainly won't be Lobot 😏
  • Malachi wrote: »
    It's such a blatant cash move. You cash out on chewie which is not a great toon, then you drop Revan news and oh by the way you have a a few days to do it and you'll need 5 horrible toons that are a horrible version of Phoenix squad. They are bantha fodder yet you will need them to get Revan. I would have defintley spent on him directly, but you're not getting me to pay you for horrible toons to get one good one. Makes no sense. I'll wait. Good luck to the panic farmers. #shame

Horrible? Bastilla is meta, T3 most likely will be. And Joelee's zeta is probably designed around Revan and will be amazing. Most people haven't had a chance to really play a geared version of any OR toons yet aside from Bastilla, they may be pretty decent. They certainly won't be Lobot 😏

Bastila isn't meta. People use that term too loosely. She's currently less meta than cls for rank 1 and rank 1-10, and is still behind traya for rank 1-100.

I agree they aren't horrible, and you didn't even mention big Z. People don't appreciate really any of the new toons, but they will as people get more experience. If Phoenix didn't unlock Palpatine and thrawn, the solo toons might be more powerful than them at equalish farm difficulty.
  • Malachi wrote: »

I'll give you props for your optimism, but besides bastilla... Those toons are garbage. Speculation doesn't make em great. I see no reasoning to spend on 4 garbage toons to get one novelty toon. If Revan destroys traya... Then it will show just how broken the sith raid actually is. 👊🏽
  • I think most people are focused on whether or not Revan is capable of beating Traya. Their main focus is on PVP only. I think we need to look at what Revan may be capable of throughout the entire game.

He needs 7 stars to be unlocked. The same as Luke and Rey. And I think we can safely say those two are usable in the entire game. Not just PVP. They both work great in PVE as well.

Luke is what helped me finally beat the tier 9 hard modes. Rey helped my guild finally do decent damage in the Sith raid. As well as using a resistance team to do some of the harder rare battles. Overall I think they are very well balanced characters that work in every aspect of the game. As they should, they are the heroes of the main series after all.

So will Revan also be this powerful? Possibly. I don't think he'll be so much of a game breaker, but more of a balancer. The Sith raid may become a little easier for the people struggling to clear it. Or he might make the final phase of territory battles a little bit easier.

So I'm trying to look at Revan in the bigger picture. Not just in PVP. And this is why I think this is somewhat of a major event in the game and I think the way they announced this event was a bit in poor taste. Just as they did with Luke and Rey.
  • We're playing a game of stock market and share values. You're a potential dollar amount and NOTHING else. Nobody cares about you, your entertainment, your inner peace. What did you think this is a game?