I am the lucky one who doesn’t love Revan

Prev1
Edward
651 posts Member
edited October 2018
Actually I might have heard the name “Revan” once or twice, that’s all, I knew very little of him, therefore, I don’t like or dislike him.

As a matter of fact, since I have become a ftp, about two years ago, I have become happier for having a healthier lifestyle. No more sleeping late or getting up early for any raids or events.

The reason I became a ftp is I realised I have spent too much on a single game that wasted too much of my time and it will only ask for more.

As a FTP, I still managed to get all the perks, I g12ed five BHs in a week and got the 7* shiny new Chewbacca because of my smart play all the time without spending a penny. I intend to keep it that way, I won’t miss much even as a FTP and I enjoy more of the game as a FTP, thanks to all these PTP.

Replies

• If you dont know Revan, its your loss. And a pretty big one, if you like sw.

Not sure what the ftp part is about. You do what you feel is right, either buy all the shiny things instantly or play wise (and accept that sometimes you just cant get it first round).
  • I am sure Raven is over rated.
  • If you dont know Revan, its your loss. And a pretty big one, if you like sw.

Not sure what the ftp part is about. You do what you feel is right, either buy all the shiny things instantly or play wise (and accept that sometimes you just cant get it first round).

Pretty sure most people only watch SW movies and/or the animations, so for any characters not in them, we are unable to know.
  • Edward wrote: »
    If you dont know Revan, its your loss. And a pretty big one, if you like sw.

Pretty sure most people only watch SW movies and/or the animations, so for any characters not in them, we are unable to know.

Sure, its called mainstream for a reason. I did not write that to blame you for not knowing it - i wrote that to recommend it to you. Theres plenty of info on him on the internet, even movies on youtube, created from the cutscenes of kotor1 and 2, and theyre amazing. So if you like the sw world, you should check it out, because youll have a good time doing so.
  • I never played those games. That's why not getting him won't worry me at all. I first heard of him in this forum.

Sure, its called mainstream for a reason. I did not write that to blame you for not knowing it - i wrote that to recommend it to you. Theres plenty of info on him on the internet, even movies on youtube, created from the cutscenes of kotor1 and 2, and theyre amazing. So if you like the sw world, you should check it out, because youll have a good time doing so.

KOTOR 1 is also available on the phone now too. $5 I believe. I think you'd have a ton of fun if you like games (which hey, you're here, you clearly do!). It'll give you several hours of enjoyment, more than enough to justify the $5.
  • Tman
    257 posts Member
    thatguy181 wrote: »
    Edward wrote: »

KOTOR 1 is also available on the phone now too. $5 I believe. I think you'd have a ton of fun if you like games (which hey, you're here, you clearly do!). It'll give you several hours of enjoyment, more than enough to justify the $5.

Free from Amazon underground last I checked.
    I am more powerful than the Chancellor- Anikan Skywalker and Tman
  • I didn’t know anything about Revan.
    I played KOTOR. I escaped from Tarriss and then I stopped because it was too chatty and boring for me.
    I think this is maybe a generation thing.
    For me Star Wars is all about the first trilogy (and maybe rebels but yeah ...)

However I understand the fascination for such a border line (DS/LS) character.
    I won’t pay for him though and wait next time around.
  • I like Bioware games, but I've always been ambivalent on Knights of the Old Republic. I really liked the Old Republic MMO, though.

The bit that I always got a kick out of was people who fetishize Revan for being able to literally master both sides of the force at the same time, but Rey beating Kylo was mary sue unrealistic garbage nonsense.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • I much prefer Meetra Surik's story though... Her story of loss was more profound and her subsequent decision to exile herself was all hers - her return was an equally painful decision too.
    Revan just got his mind wiped at the height of his evil-ness and the Republic was just lucky (in canon) that he chose the Light side after he came back as a blank slate. At least that's all I remember. Never really understood why he's that popular.
  • Mhmacleod wrote: »
    I much prefer Meetra Surik's story though... Her story of loss was more profound and her subsequent decision to exile herself was all hers - her return was an equally painful decision too.
    Revan just got his mind wiped at the height of his evil-ness and the Republic was just lucky (in canon) that he chose the Light side after he came back as a blank slate. At least that's all I remember. Never really understood why he's that popular.

Another big reason why is because he taught Darth Bane through Sith Holocron. That, he was the first unique full fledged Star Wars RPG video game and he had a morality system. Made for some unique gameplay. Though I do enjoy the KOTOR 2 story line and gameplay a bit more.
  • I have been a SW fan since first movie (yeah, I am old) came out, seen all of them in cinema and own most on Blu-Ray, played KOTOR. Watched most of the tv series, never bought comics or books so a fan but not an uber-fan.

Know a bit about Revan but not much. The issue (as McMole got wrong but right....) is heroes journey characters being non-mainstream is a bit odd. There are many things that would fit better with that kind of release even though there has been Revan (in various guises) speculation for a long time.

One of the factors that kept Star Wars alive in the 80s and 90s was the Expanded Universe. The video games, the comics, the novels. Many of the characters you see now came from those concepts, Thrawn, Palleon, Vos, Maul spider legs, Darth Bane, etc. Revan is no different.

If all you know is mainstream, you do yourself a disservice. Things that were established by LucasFilm as backstory lore for main characters are being rewritten by Disney/Marvel. Star Wars evolves and grows all the time. Why limit yourself to one version? The best books by far were the Thrawn Trilogy and the Mando/Clone arc after order 66 which was converted for Clone Wars and torqued the story writer off so she quit.
  • NicWester wrote: »
    I like Bioware games, but I've always been ambivalent on Knights of the Old Republic. I really liked the Old Republic MMO, though.

The bit that I always got a kick out of was people who fetishize Revan for being able to literally master both sides of the force at the same time, but Rey beating Kylo was mary sue unrealistic garbage nonsense.

Well, considering Revan was a Jedi who trained at the academy under Jedi masters from a very early age to adulthood and rey was a filthy garbage picker, I would say the Mary Sue argument is pretty valid....
  • BubbaFett wrote: »
    NicWester wrote: »
    I like Bioware games, but I've always been ambivalent on Knights of the Old Republic. I really liked the Old Republic MMO, though.

Well, considering Revan was a Jedi who trained at the academy under Jedi masters from a very early age to adulthood and rey was a filthy garbage picker, I would say the Mary Sue argument is pretty valid....

Oh, like Anakin?
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • NicWester wrote: »
    BubbaFett wrote: »
    NicWester wrote: »

Oh, like Anakin?

What about annakin?
  • EA = Bioware = Kotor = Revan

Most of those with a long history with EA know and love the OId Republic. Revan plays a pivotal role in the OR, and SWTOR's continuation of the story.
  • I can attest that since I decided to stop spending money I've been happier as well. I may do a little something to try for revan though
  • kalidor
    2121 posts Member
    You don't have to like or even know Revan. It'll all come down to how good Revan's kit is. Some of the fan favourites in this game have terrible kits (Grevious, Mace) while some of the lesser heroes have unusally good kits (Sith Trooper, Resistance Trooper). Given that KOTOR is one of the best SW games with actual characters in it, it's not too surprising that they drew from the series.
    xSWCr - Nov '15 shard - swgoh.gg kalidor-m
  • Tman wrote: »

Man i read this and was super excited, then it said i cant download it cuz of my location or something, i live in canada lol.. Bubble burst anyways.. Dont know why it says i cant download it or incompatible
  • Tman
    257 posts Member
    Tman wrote: »

Man i read this and was super excited, then it said i cant download it cuz of my location or something, i live in canada lol.. Bubble burst anyways.. Dont know why it says i cant download it or incompatible

So sorry
    I am more powerful than the Chancellor- Anikan Skywalker and Tman
  • You are not the only one. I could not care less for Revan and other non canon characters. I really want Padme and other canon characters in game.
  • I doubt everyone wants this character because it's Revan. Above all it's character from unusual event and already at the start is considered as strong character.
    As much as like Revan I hope that I won't hate him in this game.
  • I’d like to get Padme and C-3PO and Snoke and Hux and Bounty Hunter Leia and Bib Fortuna and a droideka and Nien Numb and a Praetorian Guard and 4-LOM and Zuckuss and a Scout Trooper and a Battle Droid before other characters who never appeared in the films.
  • CapnJack81
    100 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    I played the KOTOR series and you really arent missing anything. I'm also indifferent to getting him myself. Sure, yeah, I'll unlock him second time around but only cause it'll be a GP increase (assuming i bother to level and gear him after this fiasco) but I'm sure by that point there will be whispers of a new meta in the air yet again.

Whether i level and gear is honestly dependant on his kit and ultimate use in the different areas
  • ShaggyB
    2390 posts Member
    edited October 2018

How so.... you are on the internet.

You literally can find just about anything you want to out there. Within minutes you can learn all there is to know about something mainstream or something extremely less mainstream.

The arguement of being "unable" know doesnt hold up well on a message board about a star wars game that features some characters not seen in films.

The truth is out there...... play that theme song
  • mesa176750 wrote: »
    Another big reason why is because he taught Darth Bane through Sith Holocron. That, he was the first unique full fledged Star Wars RPG video game and he had a morality system. Made for some unique gameplay. Though I do enjoy the KOTOR 2 story line and gameplay a bit more.

I'm not familiar with the Revan that was developed after KOTOR I - that Darth Bane thing (who is this guy?) Is something i didn't know and sounds interesting.
    I know he's a large part of the TOR story arc - being its Macguffin and all - although i didn't play it or read up too far, but from what I've gathered, he's unplayable there, and that's probably what strikes me - we remember him most as how we played him, in KOTOR, more than anywhere else.
    True he was the protagonist of the first such RPG and I have a lot to thank for that, but I guess pt II's storyline struck me significantly more enough to leave a deeper personal impression.
    ...Oh, and let's not forget Kyle Katarn too. That's perhaps the first video game character with full access to both Light and Dark paths that unfortunately we'll never get a chance to see again in the current universe...
  • Mhmacleod wrote: »
    mesa176750 wrote: »

I'm not familiar with the Revan that was developed after KOTOR I - that Darth Bane thing (who is this guy?) Is something i didn't know and sounds interesting.
    I know he's a large part of the TOR story arc - being its Macguffin and all - although i didn't play it or read up too far, but from what I've gathered, he's unplayable there, and that's probably what strikes me - we remember him most as how we played him, in KOTOR, more than anywhere else.
    True he was the protagonist of the first such RPG and I have a lot to thank for that, but I guess pt II's storyline struck me significantly more enough to leave a deeper personal impression.
    ...Oh, and let's not forget Kyle Katarn too. That's perhaps the first video game character with full access to both Light and Dark paths that unfortunately we'll never get a chance to see again in the current universe...

Darth Bane is the Sith who destroyed the Sith Council, sent them all into hiding or outright killed them, and instituted the Sith Rule of Two. His ghost and Crypt on Morruban was seen in the Clone Wars series.