Territory War Matchmaker

Replies

• This is what my guild is facing today...

r43q2gbmspad.jpg

• TW date: 10/5/18
    Guild power: 56 mil
    opponents GP: total 96 mil (For TW clearly below 59 mil gp)
    Guild members joined: 47
    Opponents: ???
    Need to calculate matchmaking on average of individual power and not GP overall. Or a combination of both. Point is we have 47 members joined with average of 1.3 mil (give or take), playing against guild who is averaging at least 2 mil GP per player. Stacking 90k + in the front lines gives our lower powered members no chance on offense. Additionally we cant defend either as they are powerful enough to destroy us. We have 1 team with JTR however the other guild has at least 5 on defense. Simply cannot compete. our 70k offense gets brushed off like gnats against the 90k defenses.

TW not even fun.

BTW I am over 3 mil GP myself and am a committed player with an alt account at 1.5 mil.
  • This isn't tenable, as my guild is facing ANOTHER 33m GP gap matchup in the last 4 TW's. High-end guilds appear to be forcing players to sit so they can get favorable match-ups, please fix your matchmaking algorithm. I don't see how this isn't considered an exploit.

Date of TW: 10/6/2018
    Your Guild’s GP: 150,965,317
    Opposing team’s GP: 183,733,607
    # of my guild members who joined: 50
    # of opposing guild members who joined: ~46

8yx99reo78jo.png

z2rjph9rz05p.png
  • This is something that really needs to be fixed. Our guild has had very inequitable matchups for something like 9 out of the past 10 TWs, some against guilds outpowering us by almost double our total GP but only playing half their membership. Like it has for many of the above posters, it has become very frustrating for something that is supposed to be a fun guild activity. Players feel like just quitting in protest.

Our current matchup:
    Date of TW: 10/5-7/2018

Our Guild’s GP: 53,529,048 https://swgoh.gg/g/31678/hexodus/
    Opposing team’s GP: 59,825,059 https://swgoh.gg/g/51309/order-5/

The issue in this case wasn't total guild GP, but squad/collection matching, which I understand to be the supposed basis of the matching algorithm. The GP totals are close because of the following:

# of our guild members who joined: 42
    # of opposing guild members who joined: 26
    We have to guess from 13 spots to fill per node, and 26 is the total membership of their guild.
    So our total GPs look similar, but the strength of the individual collections are obviously going to be very different. Which is something that you state the matching algorithm is supposed to account for.

Other info that you're not asking for but that is relevant to squad/collection-based matching:
    Our guild's average GP: 1,070,580
    Opposing guild's average GP: 2,300,963

This is critical -- there is just no way this large a discrepancy in GP per player can possibly make for comparable collections.

Our zetas: 184
    Their zetas: 431

Our G12s: 348
    Their G12s: 121

How does this even come close to fair matching?

• Watercolour
    176 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    dlmf4488d2tb.png22 September 2018
    unknown.png 6 October 2018

So these are 2 of the last 4 matchups we have had. I mean its fun isnt it. Having to pretty much micromanage each phase to the last team just to have a chance to maybe win.

We are 50 in both of those and both of them are 48.

But comments like this really makes me sad about this system.This is a Guild member from the current matchup hexagon omega

unknown.png

I know who posted it of their members and its pretty sad. That Guilds have to do this just to be able beat on the smaller guys. I mean we arent at any lvl small but competing with people who have twice the amount of our g12 just isnt fun.

I vote CG just makes it simple GP vs GP. Doesnt matter how many members join, then work from that algorythm and develope it. Active GP just makes Guilds that are higher and just want free zetas dump members, tell people not to join just to get "easier opponents".

I really hope hexagon omega keeps doing this and gets Rolling Clones next fight. I really hope that.

But if this is what the developers want us to do, then we need better Tools ingame to manage all this.

Post edited by Watercolour on
  • That really needs to be fixed. The fun part just fades if evet guild follos the same way because it is possible. We did not follow this way however our efforts are just gone. All the guilds in such condition must be compensated with extra zetas to remain fair.
  • 6mjit8bb60wh.png

Nice work CG...this one was a lot of fun. 50 treyas vs 6. Nice game content...and when the sith raid gets exploited you guys are all over it since its not "in the spirit of the game"...but giving another guild a rollover match and extra zeta mat is totally fine.
  • RevengeKill
    16 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    Date of TW: 10/5/18

My guild name: Legion of Bahamut I
    My guild’s GP: 143,667,104
    # of my guild members joined: 47/50

Opponent's guild name: Braveheartz
    Opponent's GP: 187,712,543
    # of opponent's guild members joined: unknown

21 defensive slots

44 M difference. Well done.
    I have to say: GP DOES NOT really represent the exact power of a player. A player with 4M+ GP can strike down maybe 2-3 2M players.

k0ju1al9vmgd.png

• CorpseMaker77
    602 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    Here is the result of your broken matchmaking system....

147kk gp vs 174kk gp

We had to face 44 Trayas.

gs5fgms241b7.png

Thanks CG, that was really fun.
  • aperingo wrote: »
    aperingo wrote: »
    We're a 126M PG Guild, and from the moment we passed the 100M we have never, Never, NEVER faced a guild with a lower PG than ours, being honest we have more wins than defeats, but is really demotivating that we always face someone with superior GP, every time the difference increases, started with 3-5M, then 10M and for the past couple of months we are always facing guilds with at least 20M GP difference, so obviously we are on a defeat streak which is totally demotivating our members, and last one got ridiculous with a delta of 30M, we faced "Unionize the Jawas" and we're "SW Halcones Galacticos"
    We haven't been able to start farming Traya, which will make it worst, with this delta on PG we will start facing Traya walls soon and will make it impossible to win.
    I hope someone is really looking at this and fix it soon! I can understand that sometimes the formula can go wrong, but I'm not exaggerating when I'm saying that from the 100M PG we haven't faced a lower PG Guild ever and the delta between our rivals and ours keeps getting bigger everytime, so something is really wrong here!
    Lets see what today's TW brings...

What a surprise, on today's TW, we're facing "Reborn Revanites" 146M guild vs our 127M guild.... (was 126M last week)

I have to admit that we won... but it was in the last 5 min of the war that we turn the score around, but it was due to the enemy thought they could clean the board due to the PG delta cause they were attacking everywhere at the same time...
    ao5ej1727rot.png
  • superip79
    8 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    Date of TW: 6-7 October 2018
    Your Guild’s GP : 157 000 000
    -> https://swgoh.gg/g/19814/les-baguettes-rebelles/
    Opposing team’s GP: 187 000 000
    -> https://swgoh.gg/g/30855/shadowiands/
    # of my guild members who joined: 48
    # of opposing guild members who joined: how to know that ?

There were 24 squads per territory.

nyozmhirxw6y.png

This is a no match, and not the first time they are mentioned there...
  • timh1970
    1 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    CG_SBCrumb wrote: »
    Hi folks,

We are aware that some Guilds are battling in Territory Wars against higher GP Guilds with a deeper roster and can feel impossible to beat. Currently, we don’t see any egregious issues in the data but, after looking at the posts on the forums, it’s clear that we need to investigate further. Territory War Matchmaker is something we have been monitoring closely for a while but we still need to gather more info about the current situation.

I am combing through the forum for past GP mismatches for my report but I could use your help. Please post here with the following info if you have experienced a large mismatch in Guild GP during Territory War in the last couple months (last change to TW matchmaker was in March 2018):
    • Date of TW:
    • Your Guild’s GP
    • Opposing team’s GP:
    • # of my guild members who joined:
    • # of opposing guild members who joined:
    Attach any screenshots of the above info if you have them.

The problem is caused by the matching algorithm. What is happening is it is matching guilds purely on GP. The problem arises when you have a guild with say only 30 members and one with 50 and both have the same GP. The guild with 50 members is disadvantaged because overall the individual teams are weaker.

If we take a look at 2 guilds with 60M GP; one with 30 members and one with 60 then the average power of each member of the 30 guild is 2M while the average of the 50 guild is just 1.2M. The weaker teams are wiped out in an instant and there just aren't enough heavy hitters left to win.

A quick dirty fix would be to calculate the mean GP of the guild (although this would slightly disadvantage guilds that are short of members it would not be as bad as using gross guild power). You could then tweak it a little by weighting it according to the number of members and get somewhere near.

If you want to do it properly you could simulate the battles on the server and use a bit of ML, but obviously this would take a little longer to code and may be a little on heavy on the processors.

If I was doing it I would create a vector of the guild members individual power and find the the mean using a for loop (schoolboy stuff). I would then take the gross guild power and take the average. I would then use the average to weight the mean and use the weighted mean to match guilds.

You are always going to have winning and losing streaks, but this is a clear identifiable problem (it might not be the only problem, but it certainly is one).

This may very well create a mismatch on Gross GP, but this is irrelevant by virtue of the nature of the battles and the fact that each team only gets one go.
  • TW DATE 10/06
    This has been ongoing for at least 5 TW's in a row, sorry don't have all the past info but I'm sure you can find it.

Us: Ascended Masters 58M GP
    Them: Knights of Cydonia 98M GP
    We had 42 participants
    14 squads per sector.

Please re balance this event... We are getting grumpy and dis illusioned about the event.
  • TW matching is messed up
  • 4jefx27nc3jx.jpg

It's kinda balanced

• Date of TW: 06.10.2018
    Your Guild’s GP (Verschlafen der Macht): 66M (1,3M avg GP)
    Opposing team’s GP (Warriors of Sunlight 777): 99M (2,2M avg GP)
    # of my guild members who joined: 42
    # of opposing guild members who joined: 32

Well deserved win for the enemy seeing how efficient they were in offense, but clearly a mismatch I would say.
  • DarthMyself
    106 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    TW end date: 7 October 2018

Our latest in a long series of 20 to 30M gap was a 165M guild with 39 fully loaded trayas, facing our 139M guild with zero trayas (still a couple weeks to unlock our first trayas).
    We had 49 joiners. We assume they had 46, due to 23 slots to fill per sector.
    mui28nlsjr0h.jpg
    xdhdhj92w9m7.jpg

As you can see, we put up as much of a fight as we can. And that meant aiming for us not having our map totally cleared, and not actually winning because we had no chance.

Please CG, TW used to be our guild's favorite game mode. But since we hit 120M and 95% of the time we are being grossly missmatched with 15, 20 and sometimes 35M gap guilds. And many of our players are either becoming uncaring about TW, or flat out furious. There is no more joy and excitement. It is all wiped away the moment we google our opponent. One of the very few times we got a fair match, our guild and players were all fired up. And even though we ended up losing by just a few banners; all our players were happy and excited due to a very tense war all throughout the day, and everybody felt proud for putting up a fight even after we lost.

When these gross gaps are happening consistently, and we know we don't sit players out of TW on purpose; then it's not bad luck or flukes. It certainly means that your matchmaking algorithm is flawed, and/or allows top guilds to exploit for easy wins.

Please fix this.
    Sincerely Almost Every SWGOH player, who cares for a good TW game mode.
  • Really CG??

e7nwx7z56una.jpg

This stupid matchmaking is getting worse every time.

TW favors the strong guilds only. There is no balance. Fact.
  • a4snni8g09bx.png
    5919fzq9jejb.png
    We at Galatic Enigma fight tomorrow Oct 16, 2018 and with their average being higher than our highest player do you think there is a FAIR match in there? Please fix this! This isn’t a 10M issue, its 40M and we have had more 20M+ mismatches than we care to bring up. This one is ridiculous.
  • Date of TW: October 16, 2018
    Your Guild’s GP: 117m
    Opposing team’s GP: 174m
    # of my guild members who joined: 49/50
    # of opposing guild members who joined: 43-44/50 (22 defensive slots)

04ugnrou4p1y.png
  • Date of TW: October 15
    Your Guild’s GP: Wife's guild - SithLordz123 (52 million)
    Opposing team’s GP: ANZGC Reborn (59 million)
    # of my guild members who joined: 35
    # of opposing guild members who joined: unknown yet

The GPs aren't that much different, however the strongest member participating in SithLordz123 is 1.7 mil GP, while the other guild has 7 players over 2.5 mil. Meaning they're looking at front walls of 100k teams that they won't make a dent on.

• Date of TW: 10/16/2018
    Your Guild’s GP: 76kk
    Opposing team’s GP: 110kk
    # of my guild members who joined: 38
    # of opposing guild members who joined: 33

We usually get this kind of enemys in every TW... Just decided to start posting today
    uah4up1gdoc1.png
    prs9ruu7z7xd.png
  • I guess I'm going to keep posting the same thing here every TW until something changes.
    This is something that really needs to be fixed. Our guild has had very inequitable matchups for something like 10 out of the past 11 TWs, some against guilds outpowering us by almost double our total GP but only playing half their membership. Like it has for many of the above posters, it has become very frustrating for something that is supposed to be a fun guild activity. Players feel like just quitting in protest.

Our current matchup:
    Date of TW: 10/15-17/2018
    Our Guild’s total GP: 55,680,137 https://swgoh.gg/g/31678/hexodus/ (50 members)
    Opposing team’s total GP: 82,387,744 https://swgoh.gg/g/18712/wampas-wrath/ (45 members)
    # of our guild members who joined: 45
    # of opposing guild members who joined: 30 - estimated from 15 defensive spots per node

Other info that you're not asking for but that is relevant to squad/collection-based matching:
    Our guild's average GP: 1,111,194
    Opposing guild's average GP: 1,777,962

There is no way this large a discrepancy in GP per player can possibly make for comparable collections, and if your algorithm is calling this a good match, there's something wrong with the algorithm.

Our zetas: 199
    Their zetas: 422
    Our G12s: 133
    Their G12s: 236

Again, how does this even come close to fair matching?

• superip79 wrote: »

nyozmhirxw6y.png

superip79 wrote: »

nyozmhirxw6y.png

superip79 wrote: »

nyozmhirxw6y.png

• @superip79 you looked up the wrong guild. That’s why you thought it was a mismatch. There’s multiple shadowlands guilds and you were not facing the 187mill
  • Date of TW: 10/16
    My Guild: 95M GP
    Opponent Guild: 135M GP
    # of our players joined: 50
    # of opposing players: ?

3atuxzaxac3y.png
  • Any bets that these guilds that seem way OP to be facing your guild are the same ones jumping between guilds to do raids while alts are building up tickets....and then they can cut alts from joing TW to get a lower score to overwhelm other team. Weve had 1fair matchup in last 6 TW.
  • Non mais Lol bonjour la triche !!!