Suggested Visual Changes to the Game (See the Photoshop Examples!)

Prev134
DarthRefundius
8 posts Member
edited March 2019
Update: A few new pics added. Feel free to comment with something you'd like to see Photoshopped and (if possible) I can give it a stab with enough direction given. :p

User submissions are posted at the bottom of this original post and in this forum thread as a reply.
ORIGINAL POST:

I've been playing SWGOH since the very beginning and as time has went on, many aspects of it have been dramatically improved and overhauled; new game modes, QoL updates, Raids, ships and so on. Yet there are some visual aspects of the game that have gotten stale to look at. For example, I've always wanted to see the Cantina re-imagined or re-designed, or the pre-battle character selection menu updated and many other things that I feel could revitalize the look and feel of the things we spend the most time looking at; the Cantina itself.

Below are just some examples. I'm no Photoshop wizard, but I felt it served the cause better to have something to look at rather than just trying to "see what I see" through text.
0. Of course I know the following will likely never happen and I'm not saying use this exact image, just demonstrating a different setting for the Cantina.

I've longed for a venue switch in where we can still use the holotables but instead of at Cantina we are on, for example, a ship's command bay and the holotables (instead of just games at a Cantina) are the training for battles and events. Same setup as the game now, just changing the context. Or maybe we're at Canto Bight, etc etc

Cantina%20New.jpg
1. So the first thing is the character selection screen. We have these beautiful character models yet you barely get to enjoy them. During battle its their backs we see, during character selection its only their upper-half and when browsing the roster it's only their heads. I've seen other games do it and it's really nice to get to see them in their full pose outside of just when adding gear.
Also perhaps they could do some basic animation when standing there?

Character%20Select%20NEW.jpg

Character%20Select_1.jpg
2. The second thing has been long asked for, but with the Separtists getting a rework in some form soon and all of Clone Wars coming back into the fray, what better time than to make some minor adjustments to the look of our favorite clones? We've seen Gar Saxon have it both ways where he both holds and wears the helmet, so it's clearly doable.
The clones arguably have more personality and identity in their unique helmets then they do in their IDENTICAL faces.

Clones_1.jpg

Clones%20Alt.jpg

Clones.jpg
2 1/2 Well aware of the pipe-dream status of this one, but I figured I'd share what I thought would be an Toggle/Equip option to the game for select characters. Whether it be Hood Up or Down, Helmet on or off, maybe there could exist a way one day to minimally customize the appearance of our roster.

Toggle%20Off%203.jpg

Toggle%20On.jpg
Notice the "Toggle" button in the bottom left corner...
3. This is a two-in-one.

The recent addition of revealing which opponent has zeta'd a certain character was a welcome change. On the ships side however, omega's are arguably equally important yet there isn't a clean and simple way to view who has applied them. This change would display which ships have been omega'd and how many applied.
Secondly, a lot of the menus we browse feel like a house with no art on the walls. They're flat color-walls and don't feel epic or have any distance to them. It would be nice to feel like we're about to enter a battle by seeing space in the background as if we were about to deploy.

Ships%20Battle%20Screen.jpg
4. I'm not saying the ships Cantina section should be exactly like this, it's just for reference. But I want to again reinforce the idea of more open environments and generate the feel that you're about to enter battle when going to the ships area. It's only logical that the player would be in a Hangar before a ship battle anyway and gives a fresh look to a stale (or less emphasized) area of play. I understand we're at a holotable but perhaps there is a visual compromise to be had somewhere.

Hangar.jpg
5. This one may seem more like a QoL request but I feel like the "sim" option could offer a tiny bit more control such as the option to choose how each individual toon will use their abilities. For example, instead of choosing between them all using "Basic Only" or them all using "All Abilities", you could specify what abilities an individual Hero could use while simming. This would especially be useful for those of us who sim in raids and we'd want a particular hero to only use their basic while allowing another to go crazy and use all available abilities. Maybe the same force touch that brings up buff info could also reveal a mini-context menu for sim options as seen below.

Sim%20Option.jpg
I know Galactic War has been collecting dust but when you consider the name of it, these battles don't come across as very "Galactic". Perhaps simply changing the treasure icons to planets could offer a refreshing look to a now boring menu while also visually representing the Galactic scale of the battles. Then once you've successfully attacked, it reveals the treasure box as it does now to illustrate it's defeat and your victory.
Also, just like we have Hard nodes and Normal nodes, maybe we could see the old GW difficulty (very hard) come back under a selectable option without Sim for those players seeking greater rewards. But if you aren't interested in that then you can just select Normal and sim it the way you do now. I mean it's called GALACTIC WAR, what an epic name and we pay it no attention at all! :neutral:

Galactic%20War%202.jpg

OR

Galactic%20War%204.jpg
The actual talented designers could do wonders but these are just rough-drafts to give an impression.
Anyways, there's a bunch more I want to mess with, but for now I'm curious what others think. Is there any interest in seeing the game get a visual update?
I know there are plenty priorities with bugs and Revan's event, but I personally feel like the look has gotten stale in some areas and it would be nice to see something different when logging in daily for YEARS now.

We've been getting new furniture for our SWGOH home which is great, but a paint job can go a long way too.
Thoughts?
User Suggestion 1 by @Starquencher in this post
@DarthRefundius Very nice work! A few other minor ideas:
1) sprucing up the mod filters with their colors and dots, for consistency
2) in a character's profile screen, incorporating the gear tier "wreath" from their small picture on the full character roster page
3) in the Attacks and Abilities, and the Gear equipping screens:
widening the text and equipment areas to eliminate scrolling

Star1.
Tier colors and dots added to mod filters screen
Mod%20Screen.jpg
Star2.
The background gear wreath was too dominating to be in focus with the hero so it was blurred with the background to allow focus on the important items but still allowing the player to appreciate the earned prestige.
Gear%20Wreath%20Gold.jpg

Gear%20Wreath%20Purple.jpg
Star3.
Scrolling simply cannot be eliminated as some bodies of text will always be expanding. That said, the amount of scrolling can be reduced by only showing the upgrade requirements when the player clicks "Upgrade", then the text window shrinks to see what is needed. Once the player completes the transaction, the text window expands again and the "completed" check mark is displayed in a smaller fashion.
Ability%20Upgrade.jpg
Post edited by DarthRefundius on

Replies

• This is a fabulous effort.

I’m particularly excited about 1, 4, and 5.
  • I don't think your photoshop skills are to bad ;-)

I really like all your suggestion. Maybe there are an inspiration for the art team to give the game a new paint.
  • I love all of these ideas except 4 - we're in a cantina choosing which table to play at, I'm not sure why there'd be a hangar. Plus the ships screen as it stands has a great little easter egg.

Great work on the suggestions! 1 is my favourite.
    https://swgoh.gg/u/ionastarbound/
    Discord: Iona Starbound#5299
  • It looks much better :D. Although, can you explain in detail, on each point, how any of that makes money? ;)
  • Reyalp wrote: »
    It looks much better :D. Although, can you explain in detail, on each point, how any of that makes money? ;)

It’s aesthetics and game play feel and player satisfaction that generates revenue. Many of these ideas would actually help the game mature better which in turn makes players feel more invested and comfortable spending.
  • HK666
    1263 posts Member
    At worst, these are cute. And I don't think they're bad at all

I'd rather have them spend effort on other things, but if they said they had a guy in a corner that's been working on stuff like this for a while and boom it's done I would have zero complaints. Maybe some grumbling about having to adjust, but whatevs

on the clones- I think some of the toons should have 'outfits', minor changes that's just some customization the player can choose from. Clones with or without helmets. RHan as we have him or as we saw him from Chewbacca event. JTR in current clothes or what she was wearing while with Luke on the island. Vader or battle-damaged vader. Hood up or hood down. Small things like that. Again, I'd rather have them work on other things tho
  • WoW. Respect
  • Those trooper helmets! Why haven’t theh done anything yet :D

Good post with great exsamples
  • Great work. While we’re discussing this, the game needs an overhaul on tablets. You actually see less content/detail on the larger screen, and the resolution on the UI and icons leaves it looking pixelated. These would be easy fixes.
  • Just give this guy a job CG
  • Excellent work

• Glad to see there's still some love around even after the events of the last week
  • @DarthRefundius . This is by far the best thread i have ever seen in these lame forums.

CG ought to take some notice as the game is becoming old and stale.

I stopped spending money a long time ago and wonder sonendays why I even bother logging in. An overhaul of look of the game might get more mileage and may encourage me to once again support the developers (who I am at odds with over many other issues but we won't go there)

Well done mate!
  • Sman1138 wrote: »
    Just give this guy a job CG
    Totally agree. Hire this guy, he deserves it.

• Devian
    663 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    I like it. A lot
    And I 'll add, I'd love to see animations in fleet battles exactly like fights in Marvel SF
    yeah, it's copy paste and all, but for fleet battles target camera and battle animation per ship would be so much amazing, Just imagining TIE fighter running in the mids of enemie composition and killing ship warms my heart.
  • kshark
    63 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    I’m sorry to cast a dissenting opinion, but I actually don’t like of these suggestions at all. Especially #2, which makes no sense. Fine, make version two new clone trooper toons. But don’t re-skin what we already have. Version one Clone Troopers and version two clone troopers are completely different.
  • 4 looks fantastic
  • Rayley wrote: »
    Sman1138 wrote: »
    Just give this guy a job CG
    Totally agree. Hire this guy, he deserves it.

This is one of the most important posts I’ve ever read. Love the creativity and proposed changes.

• Absolutely love it! Especially clone helmets
  • This is the smartest job application I've ever seen.

Seriously, youre awesome. I would love to see all of the above.
    If you could do this in your free time, CG should also be able to........ These would make the game so much more amazing.
  • Every one (except #4) of these ideas is a great idea and should be put in for the next title update or something. As mentioned, this takes place in a cantina so a hangar doesn't make sense. #1 and #5 are my favorites!
  • Franimus
    128 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    @CG_Carrie @CG_TopHat @CG_SBCrumb Send this thread off to Derek and Ryan!
  • wow this looks very nice
  • No idea who Derek and Ryan are, but yes, please do send this to them!
  • These would be wonderful additions. Awesome work OP. Hopefully these get some ideas forming and discussions had over at CG. I know I'd love for Clones to be relevant again, plus helmets! Where's the forum member CaptainRex?? They'll love this.
  • ShaggyB
    2390 posts Member
    I've been playing SWGOH since the very beginning and as time has went on, many aspects of it have been dramatically improved, overhauled, new game modes and QoL updates and so on. Yet there are some visual aspects that have gotten stale to look at and I've always wanted to see the Cantina re-imagined or re-designed, the pre-battle character selection menu updated and other (yes, minor) things that I feel could revitalize the look and feel of the thing we see the most of; the Cantina menus.

Below are just some examples. I'm clearly no Photoshop wizard, but I felt it served the cause better to have something to look at rather than just trying to "see what I see" through text.
    1. So the first thing is the character selection screen. We have these beautiful character models yet you barely get to enjoy them. During battle its their backs you see, during character selection its only their upper-half and when browsing the roster it's only their heads. I've seen other games do it and it's really nice to get to see them in their full pose outside of just when adding gear.
    Also perhaps they could do some basic animation when standing there?

Character%20Select_1.jpg
    2. The second thing has been long asked for but with the Separtists getting a rework in some form and all of Clone Wars coming back into the fray, what better time than to make some minor adjustments to the look of our favorite clones? We've seen Gar Saxon have it both ways where he holds the helmet so it's clearly doable.
    The clones arguably have more identity in their unique helmets then they do in their IDENTICAL FACES! *ahem*

Clones_1.jpg

Clones%20Alt.jpg

Clones.jpg
    3. This is a two-in-one.

The addition of revealing which opponent has zeta'd a certain character was a welcome change. On the ships side however, Omega's are arguably equally important yet there isn't a clean and simple way to view. This change would display which ships have been omega'd and how many applied.
    Secondly, a lot of the menus we browse feel like a house with no art on the walls. They're flat and don't feel epic or have any distance to them. It would be nice to feel like we're about to enter a battle by seeing space in the background as if we were about to deploy.

Ships%20Battle%20Screen.jpg
    4. I'm not saying it should be exactly this, because bad photoshop is bad. But I want to reinforce the idea of more open environments and generate the feel that you're about to enter battle when going to the ships area. It's only logical that the player would be in a Hangar before a ship battle anyway and gives a fresh look to a stale (or less emphasized) area of play.

Hangar.jpg
    5. This one may seem more like a QoL request but I feel like the Sim option could offer a tiny bit more control such as the option to choose how each toon will use their abilities instead of all of them using basic or all of them using all abilities. This would especially be useful for those of us who sim in raids and we'd want a particular hero to only use their basic while allowing another to go crazy and use all available abilities. Maybe the same force touch that brings up buff info could also reveal a mini-context menu for sim options as seen below.

Sim%20Option.jpg
    I know Galactic War has been collecting dust but when you consider the name of it, these battles don't come across as very "Galactic". Perhaps simply changing the treasure icons to planets in need of some attacking could offer a refreshing look to a boring menu. Then once you've successfully attacked it reveals the treasure box to illustrate it's defeat and your victory. Also, just like we have Hard nodes and Normal nodes, maybe we could see the old GW difficulty (very hard) come back under a selectable option without Sim for players Seeking greater rewards, and if you aren't interested in that then you can just select normal and sim it the way you do now. I mean it's called GALACTIC WAR, what an epic name and we pay it no attention at all :neutral:

Galactic%20War%202.jpg

OR

Galactic%20War%204.jpg
    Too busy? I know, it's just to generate discussion and ideas. The actual talented designers could do wonders but these are just rough-drafts to give an impression.
    Anyways, there's a bunch more I want to mess with but for now I'm curious what others think. Is there any interest in seeing the game get a visual update? I know there are plenty priorities but I personally feel like the look has gotten stale and it would be nice to see something different when logging in daily for YEARS.

We've been getting new furniture for our SWGOH home which is great, but a paint job can go a long way too.
    Thoughts?

Someone hire this man. Id want all of that.

Especially #5
  • This is honestly the best post I've ever seen on the forums. No.1 and No.2 are my favourite but theyre all really good ideas
  • I feel like No.1 should happen right now! Now I've seen your suggestion in Photoshop form I'm already used to the idea I don't wanna go bck to the way the game is
  • Palanthian wrote: »
    Great work. While we’re discussing this, the game needs an overhaul on tablets. You actually see less content/detail on the larger screen, and the resolution on the UI and icons leaves it looking pixelated. These would be easy fixes.

Yes this is really annoying. It's worse for marvel strike force but still needs improvement for swgoh
  • Awesome work, I'd love to see these changes!