Galactic War Guide - [Team Instinct]

Prev1
Rheen
269 posts Member
edited January 2016
We have seen alot of questions and discussion about Galactic War recently. We would like to take this opportunity to share with you a strategy guide that we hope will help solve all of your GW woes!

The guide covers general strategy, team selection, target priorities, and mechanics of how to survive between rounds.

The guide also includes a detailed video showing a Team Instinct member beating the entire galactic war with no deaths using only easily farmable characters.

We hope you enjoy, and that it helps you all in how you think about Galactic War.

http://www.teaminstinct.net/swgoh-galactic-war-guide/
Guide to Beating Galactic War from Team Instinct
TeamInstinct.net -- Community Site and Home to Team Instinct
Post edited by Rheen on

Replies

• DingleTingle
    210 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    You nailed it. I have been running that except with Daka and Kylo Ren. Might want to add, need to save at least one person hopefully 2 that can heal starting with round one. Helps with those high powered teams. I also try to have my big attacks CD ready for the next "new battle"*edited. It helps to take out one character very quickly.
    Post edited by DingleTingle on
    Bye Forums.
  • Cool. I'm doing it with Barris (Lead), Lumi, JC, Sid and Asajj. Usually they're enough. Sometimes I switch in Phasma (Lead) and/or Vader for Asajj.

Most of the times I deal with the RNG, I don't usually retreat, even if I miss all my specials, and I get all the debuffs on me, unless I reach a point of no return (someone dies or is certainly about to die, and no way to avoid this).

I've had to send in suicide members from time to time, even a full suicide B/C squad once. And sometimes I just have fun on the last battles when all is about to end and send in my entire roster, from team B to X,Y,Z, no team, just a bunch of low levels, no geared, no nothing, before sending finally my A team. :)
    548-145-651 | Playing since Dec 28th (:
  • Step #1 Have super easy GW opponents.
  • Thanks for the guide!

Just have some questions to ask:

1. Bariss seems to be a staple in your guide, but most f2p players won't have her until a later level although she is farmable now. Any good replacement for her?

She seems crucial especially against heal immunity like kylo and Sid combo.

2. Any advice how to deal with Phasma counter teams in GW? Example of more commonly seen: Phasma Sid Lumi fives kylo or Dooku. More deadly combo: Phasma Leia qgj kylo fives

Thanks so much.
  • Triqui
    2790 posts Member
    pay2win wrote: »
    Step #1 Have super easy GW opponents.

Qft
    I just use my arena squad and autopilot through it. The biggest difference is the matchmaking system, no matter what
  • This should definitely help the ones who are having trouble.
    https://youtube.com/user/MurdaDeadpool/videos Subscribe and follow me here teaminstinct.net/ Home to Team Instinct
  • That was hilarious, well written and very true. :D

Well done.
  • Rheen
    269 posts Member
    ccfoo wrote: »
    Thanks for the guide!

Just have some questions to ask:

1. Bariss seems to be a staple in your guide, but most f2p players won't have her until a later level although she is farmable now. Any good replacement for her?

She seems crucial especially against heal immunity like kylo and Sid combo.

2. Any advice how to deal with Phasma counter teams in GW? Example of more commonly seen: Phasma Sid Lumi fives kylo or Dooku. More deadly combo: Phasma Leia qgj kylo fives

Thanks so much.

re #1--you are right--Barriss is a great addition to the GW team. Even though she lacks damage (see the noodle section of the guide), her heals are good and she is pretty tanky. With the addition to Barriss in the Cantina missions, any player can farm her shards and unlock her. As you can see in the guide, even a 4-star Barriss is enough to help coast through GW.

If you don't have Barriss, Luminara's leadership skill isn't too bad. It doesn't give the health bonus of Bariss, but it does give a little heal each turn (more to Jedi) and evasion. The game is a little thin on healers right now, so while there is no equivalent replacement for Barriss, you might also try Daka. Her heal is not as strong, and it is on a long cooldown, but her stun can provide some additional damage mitigation by eliminating enemy turns.

re #2--Phasma teams can be very tough right now. I'll address how I would handle each of the comps you outlined:

Phasma, Sid, Lumi, Fives, Kylo: This one isn't too bad. Take out Sid first, then depending on if kylo has counter you might swap onto him or Lumi. The goal would be to finish Lumi before she has her 2nd ability block. I would leave fives till last, but start putting big hits on him while you are working on phasma. It's better not to leave him at full health to be the last target alive because that forces you to hit him with your weak characters and gives him more counters.

Phasma, Leia, QGJ, Kylo, Fives: This one is definitely tougher. Priority to kill would be QGJ and then Leia. Leia will stealth so you'll have to go QGJ 1st. Fives and Kylo really aren't much of a threat, so again take Kylo when appropriate without his counter. QGJ is a little squishy so you could even consider trying to get Phasma down before he gives Leia advantage. As soon as Leia pops out of course you take her down asap. This match is tough and become much easier or toughe depending on RNG with Leia crits and multi-attacks.

Hope this helps.
  • Thanks for the guide. Your voice sounds kind of strange though, lol.
  • Hmmm....So to summarize.....Use 7* Barriss, with 4 other random 7* heroes, since she can heal through heal immunity........

People having trouble with GW don't have a 7* Barriss. If this was helpful to you, you are a **** ****.

• Rheen
    269 posts Member
    Devour wrote: »
    Hmmm....So to summarize.....Use 7* Barriss, with 4 other random 7* heroes, since she can heal through heal immunity........

People having trouble with GW don't have a 7* Barriss. If this was helpful to you, you are a **** ****.

The Barriss used in the video is a 4-star Barriss.

Thanks for your note.
  • Rheen
    269 posts Member
    Thanks for the guide. Your voice sounds kind of strange though, lol.

I was trying to talk quietly so I wouldn't wake a sleeping baby--hopefully it wasn't too hard to understand.
  • Randall
    1001 posts Member
    TommySitt wrote: »
    The problem is, I was a little disappointed in that your toughest opponents were a full 5 levels lower than you, and maybe/maybe not skilled/geared to the max like your squad. As such, the guide has limited usefulness. The tactics are sound, they make a lot of sense, but people who could use the most help are those that are facing multiple opponents 3 lvls, 5 lvls, or even 7 lvls higher than them. Anyone should be able to finish GW with 2-3 healers and anyone else in the other spots provided they're leveled up, if their opponents are much weaker than them 100% of the time.

1000% this. I mean it sounds great and look, it obviously worked....but you got an easy day.
  • My squad is 55, and my two toughest opponents today were 61 and 63. They were ridiculously easy to defeat, I would guess they had around 3-4 stars and 4-5 gear.
  • Well I am one of the guys that had to go through 10 level stronger opponents and the guide from team instinct is close to what I came up to myselfe.

1) kill the ones that can one hit you first.
    2) kill sid
    3) kill dps
    4) recover while slowly killing the rest.

End a fight with no cool downs, full heal

I have no bariss, I run with JC and Lummy. 2 healers is enough. They were 3 and 4 stars when I started and I maxed Lummy almost in no time to 7* since I haven't lost a GW this year.
  • New to the boards but loving the game. This guide has been extremely helpful, so thank you!

One question I have: There are a LOT of GW thread here. I'm pretty sure in one of them I saw something about GW opponents being tiered based on your own strength. So I've been avoiding bringing any of my characters above 4*, in the hopes that would keep my opponents levels down. Is there any truth to that? Or should I upgrade my JC and others to 5*?

TIA!
  • Nothing can help except chronium packs

I am 53 level player my opponents 64 level 64 level and 2nd before last fight
    70 level 5 healers 6-7 stars last gear
    7*Ashoka leader
    5*Old daka
    7*Luminara
    6*Talia
    7*Asajj

What to do with
    6 toons left

Luminara 5*(3 turns on heal)
    JC 6*(3 turns on heal)
    Rey 4*
    Sid 5* 95% hp
    Mace windu 4*
    QJ 4* 70% hp

All other toons died in last 3 rounds when fights was against 65 level high dps teams

Yes it was mistake to let barris die and srew on coldowns i didnt expected so hard healers that can hit stronger than my attackers
  • Rheen wrote: »
    Thanks for the guide. Your voice sounds kind of strange though, lol.

I was trying to talk quietly so I wouldn't wake a sleeping baby--hopefully it wasn't too hard to understand.

• That was great and THANKYOU .
  • TommySitt wrote: »
    Devour wrote: »
    Hmmm....So to summarize.....Use 7* Barriss, with 4 other random 7* heroes, since she can heal through heal immunity........

You forgot to add to also have your strongest opponents max lvl 5 less than yours. The OP is lvl 70 and maxed, the toughest matches were lvl 65.

From memory, the Barriss in the clip is only 4 stars, not 7*.

Thanks for the guide, Rheen.

After 30 straight GW wins, I went to having a 50-60% success rate with GW and facing hard squads in earlier nodes like other posters have observed.

Much like you did in the video, I made Barriss (4*) lead, flanked by Lumi (7*) and JC (6*). I used QGJ (5*) and GS (5*) in support for the assists. Like the squads you mostly faced in your clip, my opposition squads dropped in level from 68-70 to 63-66 most of the way through. GW became a lot more manageable although the odd level 70 squad did popup requiring a retreat or suicide team to navigate through.

But the upshot is, I've gone back to 100% GW completion using these characters.

Thanks, mate.

• it kills me how even a well written post gets negative replies..

Some people just want to watch the world burns I swear..
    Please keep on posting and sharing! :)

Anyway, in terms of priority order, I usually puts Sid second especially on Arena.. Because I usually 1-2 hit other priorities with QGJ harmonious assault, and he has extra evasion against jedi (more like 90% evasion give me back my 6k lumi nuke!)
  • Yvaelle
    23 posts Member
    I wish there was some way of knowing how it truly calculates Galactic War opponents, the last couple days I've gotten some ludicrously tough matchups - I don't know what God's cheerioes I must have peed in: maybe it was all the gods. If every god were upset with me, that would at least explain why my opponent teams must be the highest geared people on my server.
  • Raven
    113 posts Member
    Cyn wrote:
    Hey Guys,
    So some clarity here: A while back our server engineers were talking about using Arena Rank to calculate how we picked your opponents. For a while it was discussed that we were going to use your highest rank ever earned.
    This was my full understanding as to how it functioned, and I preached it to the hilt, as you can see here.
    In my discussions as to how we could fix GW, it became apparent that I was wrong. It went something like this:
    Im-Not-Really-A-Jedi: "So why are we using Arena Rank when the pool of people will change over time?"
    Awesome Server Dude: "What are you talking about?"
    INRAJ: "Arena Rank, why do we save their highest rank and then pick opponents against it?"
    ASD: "We don't. We decided not to use that method a while ago."
    INRAJ: "Wait. What?"
    ASD: "Yeah, we don't do that anymore. We just use their highest Squad Power now."
    INRAJ: "What?"
    ASD: "Are you okay, man? You don't look well."
    INRAJ: "I told Reddit we use Arena Ranks..."
    ASD: "Good luck with that."
    INRAJ: "..."
    ANYWAY, as you can see, we use SQUAD POWER to calculate your opponent and NOT ARENA RANK, and I was wroooooooooong.
    Now the good news: Awesome Server Dude thinks he's found the reason why GW keeps selecting those OP level 70 purple 7-stars for you, and he's working on a solution. The problem is that our server engineers are buried under a small mountain of work, so WHEN that fix will be ready is anyone's guess right now.
    I'm really sorry I was wrong, guys. I will always own up to my wrongness, and I mean it when I said that I'm here to help in the best way that I can--and that means making sure everything I say is 100% factual and true! :)
    Thanks!
    INRAJ
    EDIT: So here's EXACTLY how your opponents are figured, and where my confusion for Arena Rank came in:
    We use your LAST PVP SQUAD WIN so long as that power is greater than the last time you won. So we DO take it from Arena, just not RANK, just Squad Power.
    ^^One of the developers on Reddit.
    Umowois wrote:
    The dev also explains that there is a bug with the matchmaking in GW. It will be fixed. We don't know when and we have no ETA.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/SWGalaxyOfHeroes/comments/469vj1/sad_post_i_was_wrong_about_galactic_war_using/

Someone shared this conversation in Reddit.. How the opponent is roughly calculated.. However, similar to few claims, I found that these past 3-4 days the opponents seems to be more reasonable.. Not easy, but reasonable.. Im at lvl 70, with 7* Sid, Phasma & Lumi, close to 6* QGJ, 5* Kylo (F2P not much choices move along now, and dont judge me) and only at nodes 9-12 will i find full star, level and geared opponents.. Could just be luck, i dont know lol.. Now working towards JC and Barriss, for better sustain and of course, Yoda :)
  • "The dev also explains that there is a bug with the matchmaking in GW."

And the award for "Understatement of the Year" goes to the EA developers @ CG for Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes.
  • Ok, so I went through your video and it has some really good stuff in it as you probably already know. But here are my thoughts:

1.) You have at least 7 lvl 70, 7* toons in your well and you didn't face any teams over level 65 for the entire GW. That is not even close to what most are facing these days. I have only 3 toons at 7 lvl 70, 7* and I am facing maxed out squads on node 3. Any squad lvl 70 player could get through what you had to contend with. Expecting to see how you would fair against a maxed out team of Phasma, Sid, GS, Dooku/Poggle, and Kylo. I am certain you know what you are doing and would be fine, but would like to see that battle.

2.) Would like more explanation on the Jawa and would QGJ be a better fit with his two power attacks and then main attack. I assume you are using the Jawa as he is an average DPS guy and you want that for the burst phase and stabilization phase to reset cool downs on your heals. Some more explanation there would be appreciated.

3. I like the 5555's selection but would like to see alternative toons suggested for both Jawa and 5555 as many F2P may not have them unlocked and leveled the way you do. How would IG-86, GS, QGJ, Dooku, Daka do as replacements for them.

4. Would like to see other team strategies employed w/o Barris as she cannot be unlocked until lvl 69, so for F2P peeps they would not have her until late and that is a lot of time to be getting your butt handed to you. So perhaps if you have an alt on team instinct that is around say level 45-65. 50-55 would be nice and maybe one at 60.

Other than that a great vid, well thought out, put together and very succinct. Lots of good stuff in there, nice work.
  • eBitzu
    286 posts Member
    Should I make a video on GW..to demonstrate things?
    Follow on twitter, Subscribe to my channel , 10$ free giveaway here
  • eBitzu wrote: »
    Should I make a video on GW..to demonstrate things?

That would be great, please do. I have tried responding to this several times but it doesn't seem to show up. I guess I am on the watch list now and they are screening my responses. Am I just too mean?

1 stipulation: you can only use F2P characters on farmable holotables. No light/dark hard battle only characters or chromium only. Strictly F2P

Also no Barris or Dooku as they can't be legitimately farmed until lvl 69. Can't wait to see what you come up with. BTW I am going up against a max squad on node 3 of GW and I only have 3 toons at 7* not 7 like in the vid. In the defense of team instinct that really highlight the changes to GW in the last 29 days. He didn't face anyone over 65 the whole GW, where as now you would probably face them from node 3 on.