Galactic war difficulty

Replies

• Gw makes new players have consequences for focusing solely on arena and not having a broad roster and encourages you to build a broader roster.

By not focusing solely on your arena team, you may not do as well in arena but do better in gw. Or by focusing soley on arena, you do better in arena but not gw. It forces you to make choices about what to develop.

That is kinda the point of the game, it gives you different game modes that need different teams. This remains the case well after you reach lvl 85 with various modes that different toons do better in and require broad rosters.

Also the opinion that teams can't win against a team due to a gear level or two is simply not true. If you run a team that is a hard counter to that team, it is possible to win with less gear ir at a lower level. Also, in gw, you don't have to necessarily win with just one team. If your team can take out a key player, you can mop up with another team.

There are two strategies that work fairly well. One build a team tgat has good health or protection regen that can get through it with one team most days. Phoenix is good for this but can run into issues if you hit a hard counter to them.

The other strategy is to build a few good teams to have options. This is likely to work better but can set you back in arena or other areas.

A few teams I used to run after I hit 85 but before I could sim. Pheonix with cls subbed for chopper. Works well since everyone regens health and protection and cls provides good dps to handle most Phoenix counters. I had a decent ep squad for clean up by this point so that combo could handle about anything.

Nihilas led sith works well too since they have all health and good health steal so they are full health at the start of almost every match.

But eventually you get a deep roster and have many options. That's when the sim is needed. Nothing more boring that soending 20 min a day autoing gw with no chace or losing. And trust me new players you'll get there.
  • AOHNH wrote: »
    GW has been frustrating new players for the entire life of the game.
    This is not a counter to my argument. First of all, how is this supposed to be a good reason for it? Second, this is not a new game, and putting unnecessary road blocks in front of new players does far more harm than good at this point. Third, you're not addressing the biggest problem - some players may choose not to continue playing solely due to GW frustration.
    As for the impossible teams, there’s no completely impossible team. Maybe impossible for you at your juncture, sure. But I’ve seen GW teams that I couldn’t scratch, and they just made me better strategists and showed me what I need to develop for arena.
    Those are two completely opposite goals. If I develop my arena team, I hurt my GW performance. This is exactly why the current GW design is so bad.
    There isn’t a reason why it’s difficult. It just is.
    Hence there's no reason to keep it as is.

You realize that arena and Gw are two different game modes, and as such, have two different goals.

Arena, you develop one squad as much as you can to rank higher, this encourages taller narrow roster development.

Gw, encourages roster diversification, requires several well built squads of different types, promotes a wide stable roster that is capable of handling many challenges.

In short. It’s appropriate, there’s nothing wrong with it, it is supposed to be a challenge, not a cakewalk, if you don’t like it, well, sorry, don’t play then lol.
    Learn to live with it or change your strategy. Your choice.
    I guess I'll have to live with this bad design, because there's no better strategy. The best strategy is still to push to 85 with a single strong squad, anything else just puts your more behind.

But that is not the best strategy for GW, which is what you are complaining about.
  • Gw makes new players have consequences for focusing solely on arena and not having a broad roster and encourages you to build a broader roster.
    There's no reason to do this to new players. Arena rewards are gems, so it is always better to go for them.
    By not focusing solely on your arena team, you may not do as well in arena but do better in gw. Or by focusing soley on arena, you do better in arena but not gw. It forces you to make choices about what to develop.
    Again, that's not a real choice. It is always better to go for arena.
    Also the opinion that teams can't win against a team due to a gear level or two is simply not true. If you run a team that is a hard counter to that team, it is possible to win with less gear ir at a lower level. Also, in gw, you don't have to necessarily win with just one team. If your team can take out a key player, you can mop up with another team.
    If the levels are close enough, sure. But when the other team is 17 levels ahead, it is simply not possible. Those 17 levels affect not only pure damage output, but also things like resistance, which greatly diminishes the effectiveness of debuffs. I guess if the other team is just tanks and supports, you may be able to grind it out, but when you face 4 aoe attackers, there's nothing you can do to win.
    But eventually you get a deep roster and have many options. That's when the sim is needed. Nothing more boring that soending 20 min a day autoing gw with no chace or losing. And trust me new players you'll get there.
    It is just as boring to run into a team that you have no way of beating and cut your GW short. Again, my point is that there's no good reason for this bad design.
  • In short. It’s appropriate, there’s nothing wrong with it, it is supposed to be a challenge, not a cakewalk, if you don’t like it, well, sorry, don’t play then lol.
    I can't agree with this. When you get the high end of the RNG, it's not a challenge, it's a brick wall with no way around it.

Also, "dont like it dont play it" is not a good motto for any game, and I'm sure that's not what developers had in mind when they were working on it.

• But that is not the best strategy for GW, which is what you are complaining about.
    Then the best strategy for GW has no meaning. It stalls your progression, which slows down your ability to contribute better to your guild, which further slows down your progression. It doesn't benefit anyone in the game.
    In short. It’s appropriate, there’s nothing wrong with it, it is supposed to be a challenge, not a cakewalk, if you don’t like it, well, sorry, don’t play then lol.
    I can't agree with this. When you get the high end of the RNG, it's not a challenge, it's a brick wall with no way around it.

Also, "dont like it dont play it" is not a good motto for any game, and I'm sure that's not what developers had in mind when they were working on it.

Your right, the plan is to have you develop your roster. You can’t accomplish anything worthwhile in this game with one single squad.

Until you realize this, there is no helping you.
  • Your right, the plan is to have you develop your roster. You can’t accomplish anything worthwhile in this game with one single squad.
    That is also wrong, from a new player's perspective. It's always best to go for a single squad early on.

Your right, the plan is to have you develop your roster. You can’t accomplish anything worthwhile in this game with one single squad.
    That is also wrong, from a new player's perspective. It's always best to go for a single squad early on.

Sorry, you are again wrong.

Have a good one.
  • AOHNH
    43 posts Member
    edited October 2018

Have a good one.
    Sorry you have to give up like that, without any logical explanation.

But have a good one too, I guess.
    Gw makes new players have consequences for focusing solely on arena and not having a broad roster and encourages you to build a broader roster.
    There's no reason to do this to new players. Arena rewards are gems, so it is always better to go for them.
    Again, that's not a real choice. It is always better to go for arena.
    If the levels are close enough, sure. But when the other team is 17 levels ahead, it is simply not possible. Those 17 levels affect not only pure damage output, but also things like resistance, which greatly diminishes the effectiveness of debuffs. I guess if the other team is just tanks and supports, you may be able to grind it out, but when you face 4 aoe attackers, there's nothing you can do to win.
    It is just as boring to run into a team that you have no way of beating and cut your GW short. Again, my point is that there's no good reason for this bad design.

I never said you shouldn't focus on arena. It is important. But if you could focus solely on arena and never fall short elsewhere, there wouldn't be much challenge managing your resources.

And ultimately that is what this game is about. Regardless of whether you are new or old, there are choices you have to make on what areas of the game you want to primarily focus on and other areas are bound to suffer.

If you focus on ds ships you get zetas but you won't be ready for Chimera as soon.

If you farm for cls, you put off farming jtr, chewie, thrawn and revan.

If you focus teams for ls tb, you won't doas well in ds tb.

Gw vs arena is just one of many choices. Like any event it may not be possible for you if you don't have the right teams developed. And some days are harder than others.

But wanting a part of the game nerfed because it's hard is just being a crybaby. It's supposed to be a challenge to overcome. I couldn't beat the mythic tier of every event the first time but over time I developed my roster so that I can now. Gw is the same concept. If you gear crappy toons you will lose.

• I never said you shouldn't focus on arena. It is important. But if you could focus solely on arena and never fall short elsewhere, there wouldn't be much challenge managing your resources.

And ultimately that is what this game is about. Regardless of whether you are new or old, there are choices you have to make on what areas of the game you want to primarily focus on and other areas are bound to suffer.

If you focus on ds ships you get zetas but you won't be ready for Chimera as soon.

Gw vs arena is just one of many choices. Like any event it may not be possible for you if you don't have the right teams developed. And some days are harder than others.
    This makes perfect sense... after you reach the farming point. It makes no sense for players that are still trying to get to that point.
    But wanting a part of the game nerfed because it's hard is just being a crybaby.
    I'm not crying. I've provided a logical explanation as to why it is a bad design. I haven't seen anything logical in response.
    It's supposed to be a challenge to overcome.
    Then it should be placed appropriately. Stage 9 of the dark side battles is also a challenge to be overcome, but it is not open to level 50 players, is it?
    Gw is the same concept. If you gear crappy toons you will lose.
    It looks the opposite to me. I gear the best possible team I can have, only to have it trumped by a team I cannot possibly beat.
  • Lol. Cause if I want to talk to a brick wall , I can do that in person, heck I can even take my sledge to it. You tho, feel you are entitled to something that defies logic in a game of this nature. The conclusion you are spelling out is that this game is not for you. You refuse to heed or entertain advice that will accomplish the goals you desire in your crusade to have Gw reduced to a baby level of difficulty. Good luck. At your level in the game, you should already have two squad on the go. Having one squad is a massive error on your part. And in no way helps anyone out at all least of all you. Eventually you will realize this, or, you will quit because you have not grasped to point of the game and the advice that was proffered .

So, to recap,
    AOHNH wrote: »

Have a good one.

I never said you shouldn't focus on arena. It is important. But if you could focus solely on arena and never fall short elsewhere, there wouldn't be much challenge managing your resources.

This makes perfect sense... after you reach the farming point. It makes no sense for players that are still trying to get to that point.
    But wanting a part of the game nerfed because it's hard is just being a crybaby.
    I'm not crying. I've provided a logical explanation as to why it is a bad design. I haven't seen anything logical in response.
    It's supposed to be a challenge to overcome.
    Then it should be placed appropriately. Stage 9 of the dark side battles is also a challenge to be overcome, but it is not open to level 50 players, is it?
    Gw is the same concept. If you gear crappy toons you will lose.
    It looks the opposite to me. I gear the best possible team I can have, only to have it trumped by a team I cannot possibly beat.

You have already said you're not willing to divert focus from arena which is your choice but the strategy of gw is to have several good teams to outlast the nodes.

So if you refuse to broaden your roster you will struggle.

Yes they could lock it until a higher level but then some players like that mode and want the challenge. And it is usually possible to finish even at low levels.

Also just to warn you, solely focusing on one team will also eventually hurt you when the meta shifts in arena. For example if you g12 Pheonix, you'll be screwed when everyone gets palp and your Pheonix is dropping like a rock and you have no other toons developed. But if you have a broad roster, you have a better chance to climb in arena if you hit a wall of teams that counter your main team.
  • So, to recap
    I have no desire to respond to ad hominem attacks. If you wish to make a logical case, please do so.
  • You have already said you're not willing to divert focus from arena which is your choice but the strategy of gw is to have several good teams to outlast the nodes.
    Actually, what I've said is that there's no logical reason for me to divert from arena to gw. I didn't say that I chose to do so, it is simply logical for a new player to do that.
    Yes they could lock it until a higher level but then some players like that mode and want the challenge. And it is usually possible to finish even at low levels.
    Hmm, in that case, why lock the light/dark stages?
    Also just to warn you, solely focusing on one team will also eventually hurt you when the meta shifts in arena.
    You're misunderstanding my point. I'm not saying that I already chose which squad I'm always going to run in the arena, I simply must concentrate on a single squad while I'm leveling up. During this leveling stage, having one strong squad provides the best results in arena regardless on the squad choice. It is also the best way to start participating in other guild activities as early as possible, since those are all above my current level.
  • I feel like you’re missing the main fact of this game: it’s a slow burn.

Yeah, choosing to focus on a strong arena team is the most “logical” choice because it gives you crystals. But it’s still your choice.

When I unlocked fleet, I climbed to rank 6 in 3 days. Then I stopped caring about dleeet because I figured nobody else would in my shard since we just unlocked it. That wasn’t the case, however, and I dropped like a stone. Then, while everybody was focusing on the new hotness, (I think it was CLS), I focused on ships. Then i climbed back up to top 100. And this was before fleet arena gave crystals as reward.

Was my voice the most logical? No. But it resulted in a more diverse roster for me since the most effective ships needed crew members I didn’t have.

I missed Thrawn twice before I decided to farm Phoenix, then I had to wait for his fourth appearance to get him to 7*.

The game is about CHOICES. There’s always going to be a “gate” to get by, whether it’s GW, Arena, fleet, mod battles, or any other area of the game. Another example: I was 3 stages behind on dark side nodes on the PvE table because I focused on Rebels.

You can’t have everything all at once in this game, it’s about choosing which area to fall back on and which to progress.
  • AOHNH
    43 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    I feel like you’re missing the main fact of this game: it’s a slow burn.
    I'm not missing it, I just don't see how it applies to new players as of today.
    Yeah, choosing to focus on a strong arena team is the most “logical” choice because it gives you crystals. But it’s still your choice.
    Well, I suppose anything can be called a choice. I can choose to buy a game and don't play it just for the sake of making a choice of not playing it. Making an argument like that is just silly.
    When I unlocked fleet, I climbed to rank 6 in 3 days. Then I stopped caring about dleeet because I figured nobody else would in my shard since we just unlocked it. That wasn’t the case, however, and I dropped like a stone. Then, while everybody was focusing on the new hotness, (I think it was CLS), I focused on ships. Then i climbed back up to top 100. And this was before fleet arena gave crystals as reward.
    So, this doesn't apply to today's game state, then? Right now the best "choice" for leveling players is to field arena team full of pilots so that your ship arena performance is good as well. I can "choose" not to do that, hurting both my progression and my contribution to my guild. Why would I make such a bad choice? Just because it exists?
    There’s always going to be a “gate” to get by, whether it’s GW, Arena, fleet, mod battles, or any other area of the game.
    What's happening in GW is hardly a gate. When you hit a squad 17 levels above you regardless of your current level - that's called a moving goal post that can only be reached by maxing out your own level.
    Another example: I was 3 stages behind on dark side nodes on the PvE table because I focused on Rebels.
    It seems to me that this is completely normal for new players today. It makes perfect sense - concentrate your efforts on one strong squad.
    You can’t have everything all at once in this game
    Again, that's fine. That's why I can't yet play on dark hard 9 stage. But why lock that stage, yet allow similar brick wall experience in GW?
  • Level is not the only factor in a character's power. Gear, *s, skill levels and mods all play a part.
  • AOHNH
    43 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »
    Level is not the only factor in a character's power. Gear, *s, skill levels and mods all play a part.
    Sounds like you're helping me. Gear and skill levels unlock based on character's level. Higher level = better gear. * count and mods' quality also follow character's level if the player "chooses" the most logical path and invests in one strong squad.
    Well, I suppose anything can be called a choice. I can choose to buy a game and don't play it just for the sake of making a choice of not playing it. Making an argument like that is just silly.
    So, this doesn't apply to today's game state, then? Right now the best "choice" for leveling players is to field arena team full of pilots so that your ship arena performance is good as well. I can "choose" not to do that, hurting both my progression and my contribution to my guild. Why would I make such a bad choice? Just because it exists?
    There’s always going to be a “gate” to get by, whether it’s GW, Arena, fleet, mod battles, or any other area of the game.
    What's happening in GW is hardly a gate. When you hit a squad 17 levels above you regardless of your current level - that's called a moving goal post that can only be reached by maxing out your own level.
    Another example: I was 3 stages behind on dark side nodes on the PvE table because I focused on Rebels.
    It seems to me that this is completely normal for new players today. It makes perfect sense - concentrate your efforts on one strong squad.
    Again, that's fine. That's why I can't yet play on dark hard 9 stage. But why lock that stage, yet allow similar brick wall experience in GW?

Book. Right there. “Moving goal post.” That’s exactly what GW is. It’s been that way since inception. I don’t understand why you believe that, for some reason, it shouldn’t apply today. This isn’t a new problem for players. Wanting an even easier GW (you should have been here before the rework) is simply saying you want more free stuff with less work, when that’s not the game’s design.

GW is a gate. You can’t finish it can you? Because you’re gated behind more powerful squads because your roster isn’t deep enough to adapt.

The argument of choice is not silly when the entire game’s progression is based around choice, whether it’s logical or not. I didn’t believe the Old Republic toons would all be necessary for Revan because the only leader ability benefits only one other toon of the 5. I was wrong. I made a choice, based on logic, to not farm them. I agree that focusing on arena may be the most logical to you, but that’s still your choice to follow that logic. Focusing on a singular team is not, however, the best way to progress. Focus on 2 teams so you can adapt. There are many avenues to do this, not just GW.
  • *boom not book lol

Also, to compare it to another game again:
    Final Fantasy Tactics has a similar moving goalpost with the random battles, they scale to your level. Until you’re super high powered, they’re always tough. It’s part of the game, it’s how GW works. Arguing that it should be made easier (again) isnarguing against its concept.

Also, node 6 usually is 15-17 levels higher than you. Then on node 7 it drops back down a bit. GW is about adapting, too.
  • Can’t wait to see what OP has to say once he starts meeting opponents with Zeta abilities. :D

Book. Right there. “Moving goal post.” That’s exactly what GW is. It’s been that way since inception. I don’t understand why you believe that, for some reason, it shouldn’t apply today. This isn’t a new problem for players. Wanting an even easier GW (you should have been here before the rework) is simply saying you want more free stuff with less work, when that’s not the game’s design.

GW is a gate. You can’t finish it can you? Because you’re gated behind more powerful squads because your roster isn’t deep enough to adapt.

The argument of choice is not silly when the entire game’s progression is based around choice, whether it’s logical or not. I didn’t believe the Old Republic toons would all be necessary for Revan because the only leader ability benefits only one other toon of the 5. I was wrong. I made a choice, based on logic, to not farm them. I agree that focusing on arena may be the most logical to you, but that’s still your choice to follow that logic. Focusing on a singular team is not, however, the best way to progress. Focus on 2 teams so you can adapt. There are many avenues to do this, not just GW.

That's ok I made the choice to farm them and spend arena and fleet crystals on them most days with a small break to get bossk for chewie. I figured they'd be needed. But with the timing of the event I'm still short. You'll have time before the next time so my choice was no better than yours.
    Level is not the only factor in a character's power. Gear, *s, skill levels and mods all play a part.
    Sounds like you're helping me. Gear and skill levels unlock based on character's level. Higher level = better gear. * count and mods' quality also follow character's level if the player "chooses" the most logical path and invests in one strong squad.

Look it boils down to this. It's designed to be hard and even unbeatable sometimes. That is so whales will spend to buy toons/gear so they can beat it sooner.

So they aren't going to change it since it probably makes money as is. So you can either take the advice of those trying to help accepting that it'll take time, whale out, or quit. It really is that simple.
    Do not assume that your opponent's gear, skills and mods are max'd. Very often they wont be.

Speaking of which, it's time you showed us your squad...
  • That’s exactly what GW is. It’s been that way since inception. I don’t understand why you believe that, for some reason, it shouldn’t apply today.
    I've explained it numerous times now, and every counter to my argument is either ignoring my explanation or providing examples that do not apply to new players. I'll do it again, in a super-short version: the only "choice" that makes sense for new players is the one where you field one strong squad while leveling up. Heck, when I first started playing, every single advice I received from searching was "get one strong squad ASAP, don't spread your efforts". I've played the game and it can confirm that it was in fact the best advice possible.
    Wanting an even easier GW (you should have been here before the rework) is simply saying you want more free stuff with less work, when that’s not the game’s design.
    Explain to me why it's "free" stuff for me, a new player? I didn't say I want it super easy, all I want is brick wall removal.

Besides, isn't free stuff exactly what you're getting right now by simply simming it? Yet I'm the one wanting free stuff?
    That is not correct. In the last brick wall I faced I managed to remove half of protection bar before my team was lost, because enemy team was far too strong. Using that math, I'd need what, like 10 squads to beat that?
    And again, gate's power does not move with your own. I've played many games and have seen many gate examples, and GW is not one of them.
    The argument of choice is not silly when the entire game’s progression is based around choice, whether it’s logical or not.
    You can't make a serious argument when you talk about making choices that do exists, but are meaningless when you choose them. You still did not answer me: if a choice exists, but making it is plain stupid, why would I make such a choice?
    Focusing on a singular team is not, however, the best way to progress. Focus on 2 teams so you can adapt. There are many avenues to do this, not just GW.
    How is it not the best choice? What do I need to adapt to? I'm still leveling up, there's no adaptation choices for me to make. Having one strong team at 65 is always better than having 2 mediocre teams at 45, regardless of counter mechanics.
  • Huatimus wrote: »
    Can’t wait to see what OP has to say once he starts meeting opponents with Zeta abilities. :D
    Same thing I'm saying right now: placing unwinnable battles in GW is a bad design.

I'd love a logical explanation from devs on the topic, as it applies to new players today.
  • Look it boils down to this. It's designed to be hard and even unbeatable sometimes. That is so whales will spend to buy toons/gear so they can beat it sooner.
    At least you're not beating around the bush here. It still doesn't explain why the devs wouldn't do the same with light/dark nodes, though.

And from my experience, buying gear/toons by itself will not solve GW problems, one would have to buy gems and quickly level up to 85 to remove the leveling power difference.
    So they aren't going to change it since it probably makes money as is.
    It's possible. But I would think that GW wouldn't generate much revenue. This game is all about crystals, and you get none from GW.
    So you can either take the advice of those trying to help accepting that it'll take time, whale out, or quit. It really is that simple.
    Advises in this particular thread have been less than helpful. And I'm not even looking for an advice, I've received those elsewhere - "GW is pain is some dark place and you just have to get by". What I'm really looking for in this thread is a valid, logical reason why GW has to have bad RNG built into it. Revenue generation is as close as it gets, but even that looks pretty weak to me.
  • Rath_Tarr wrote: »
    Do not assume that your opponent's gear, skills and mods are max'd. Very often they wont be.
    Why would I assume anything, I can see the stats of the enemy squad...
    Speaking of which, it's time you showed us your squad...
    Not that it is relevant to this discussion, but after asking around, the most often advice given to me in the beginning was to go for Phoenix, which is what I did.

Having said that, I want to preempt any "well, that's your problem" responses: from what I've seen in GW so far, squad choice makes no difference when you do hit the top end of RNG. When the enemy is 17 levels ahead, with the appropriate increases in gear, skills, and mods, there's nothing you can do about it. It is simply not going to work.