Galactic war difficulty

13Next

Replies

• It’s clearlt not a stupid choice if everybody in this thread is telling you to do it. You just think it is. Explain why it’s a meaningless choice to extend your roster (which everybody is telling ok you need to do

Phoenix is a good starting farm because they lead to thrawn, thrawn leads to a better Empire, Empire leads to R2, and you need R2 for CLS. But what Phoenix is NOT, is a super-fantastic squad for damage output.

When i was your level, I had 2 squads. I did perfectly fine, and splitting my resources didn’t cut my levels to 45 like you’re talking. If that happens for you, you’re doing something wrong. My dark side team wasn’t as strong as my rebels team, but I got to the high level nodes a lot more frequently when I had other squads to assist my rebels in GW. I couldn’t always finish it. Why? Because some nodes had crazy squads 15-20 levels above mine. Wiggs/Chaze/Lando can’t hold a candle to a full upgraded GK/zBariss squad. But I kept moving on and got more toons and more squads that could.

Back when GW was three times as as hard, I was finishing consistently when I got to a higher level AND diversified with my roster. That’s how the game works. There’s no one team beats all mechanic, which is what you’re asking for.

Also, I don’t understand what you’re referring to when you talk about bad RNG for GW. If you’re talking about some of the nodes being 15-20 levels above yours, that’s not RNG. That is specifically how GW is designed because it’s supposed to be a challenge.

I also don’t understand the “unwinnable battles is bad design” idea. MANY battles are unwinnable until you strengthen your squad(s). (I’m looking at you light side hard node 9-b and fleet table hard 5-c.) At this moment, I rank top 50 in fleet arena and I can’t clme close to beating that 5-c, so I can’t even try to farm Nest. That node is unwinnable for me. Why? Because I’m making a choice not to bolster my fleet at the moment.

You keep wanting a “logical” explanation for GW. You won’t get one. GW is specifically designed to be a moving goalpost, and that goalpost is not RNG related. You’re going to get super powerful teams thrown at you. You won’t beat it every day. You MUST diversify your roster beyond Phoenix.

Take it or leave it, I’m done in this thread.
  • AOHNH wrote: »
    Look it boils down to this. It's designed to be hard and even unbeatable sometimes. That is so whales will spend to buy toons/gear so they can beat it sooner.
    At least you're not beating around the bush here. It still doesn't explain why the devs wouldn't do the same with light/dark nodes, though.

And from my experience, buying gear/toons by itself will not solve GW problems, one would have to buy gems and quickly level up to 85 to remove the leveling power difference.
    So they aren't going to change it since it probably makes money as is.
    It's possible. But I would think that GW wouldn't generate much revenue. This game is all about crystals, and you get none from GW.
    So you can either take the advice of those trying to help accepting that it'll take time, whale out, or quit. It really is that simple.
    Advises in this particular thread have been less than helpful. And I'm not even looking for an advice, I've received those elsewhere - "GW is pain is some dark place and you just have to get by". What I'm really looking for in this thread is a valid, logical reason why GW has to have bad RNG built into it. Revenue generation is as close as it gets, but even that looks pretty weak to me.

They also want new players to soend on crystals to refresh to level up faster. That's why some things are gated by level. If they can get a new player to spend, they will likely keep doing so.

And whales get the typical advantages like winning in arena and what not. If you spend enough on crystal refreshes, you can reach 85 very quickly.

So it's not just gear or credits that you can spend on. You can buy your way to lvl 85 as well.

And I would assume that new players may be willing to spend to beat it since there are some toons that you can only buy with that currency.

Basically, they gain nothing by making it easy. No one spends to beat it and it is just boring. At that point it might as well be removed and the rewards added to the daily rewards.

For me, it doesn't matter since I sim it and it's only good shard shop currency. I coukd beat it every day manually with about six different teams that are 90k+ and can likely each auto the whole thing and if not I have 5 teams to clean up and a lot of other weaker teams. That's why the sim is there because eventually it is just a time sink and no challenge. Kinda like farming from nodes without a sim. It woukd take forever but not be hard.

But the sims allow those that are still challenged by it to play it but those that aren't to skip it.

For the record, it would be great if they added a 2nd tier gw that was harder but had better rewards for late game players. And another tier of challenges, and a level 10 to tables ect. Though with the tables, the energy may need to be reworked if you have 24 energy nodes. A 24energy hard node would be a pain for farming without more energy available.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    AOHNH wrote: »
    Look it boils down to this. It's designed to be hard and even unbeatable sometimes. That is so whales will spend to buy toons/gear so they can beat it sooner.
    At least you're not beating around the bush here. It still doesn't explain why the devs wouldn't do the same with light/dark nodes, though.

And from my experience, buying gear/toons by itself will not solve GW problems, one would have to buy gems and quickly level up to 85 to remove the leveling power difference.
    So they aren't going to change it since it probably makes money as is.
    It's possible. But I would think that GW wouldn't generate much revenue. This game is all about crystals, and you get none from GW.
    So you can either take the advice of those trying to help accepting that it'll take time, whale out, or quit. It really is that simple.
    Advises in this particular thread have been less than helpful. And I'm not even looking for an advice, I've received those elsewhere - "GW is pain is some dark place and you just have to get by". What I'm really looking for in this thread is a valid, logical reason why GW has to have bad RNG built into it. Revenue generation is as close as it gets, but even that looks pretty weak to me.

The reason you are not getting that is because it's not true.

It's meant to be difficult and it is built that way using a pretty simple method.
  • AOHNH
    43 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    It’s clearlt not a stupid choice if everybody in this thread is telling you to do it.
    Literally nobody is telling me that (including my guild) except you. And it looks like the only reason you're saying that is because you don't understand my argument.
    You just think it is. Explain why it’s a meaningless choice to extend your roster (which everybody is telling ok you need to do
    I've done that at least 4 times by now.
    You keep wanting a “logical” explanation for GW. You won’t get one.
    Then there's no reason to post anything else.

• Basically, they gain nothing by making it easy. No one spends to beat it and it is just boring. At that point it might as well be removed and the rewards added to the daily rewards.
    I guess there's theoretically more to gain if they keep it impossible at times... I still don't like it, because I think t here's got to be a better way to do this.
  • AOHNH
    43 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    Kyno wrote: »

It's meant to be difficult and it is built that way using a pretty simple method.
    I'm guessing it's using some sort of power calculation, but that doesn't mean that there's no huge RNG factor present. Facing squads that are far ahead in power can vary from hard, to very hard, to 100% impossible.

So, even though there might not be RNG present in the calculated power rating, there's still a ton of it in the actual match-up. And it's very easy to see - my GW end points vary from node 6 to node 12 - that's from stuck at half to fully completed. Statistically that's a huge variance.
    Basically, they gain nothing by making it easy. No one spends to beat it and it is just boring. At that point it might as well be removed and the rewards added to the daily rewards.
    I guess there's theoretically more to gain if they keep it impossible at times... I still don't like it, because I think t here's got to be a better way to do this.

I doesn't stay impossible though. As you level, it gets easier even to the point of boring. That's why the sim was needed. They capped the difficulty at something being based off a player shortly after hitting level 85 so once you hit 85 it should stop getting harder. It will still be challenging for awhile but eventually your roster just out grows it.
    Kyno wrote: »

I'm guessing it's using some sort of power calculation, but that doesn't mean that there's no huge RNG factor present. Facing squads that are far ahead in power can vary from hard, to very hard, to 100% impossible.

So, even though there might not be RNG present in the calculated power rating, there's still a ton of it in the actual match-up. And it's very easy to see - my GW end points vary from node 6 to node 12 - that's from stuck at half to fully completed. Statistically that's a huge variance.

There is most definitely rng involved in the selection of the teams. I don't think anyone has argued that there isn't. The alternative is to face the same programmed teams which would get boring a lot sooner.

My understanding is that there's a range based on your power and it picks teams other players used within that range. Good rng gives you easy teams. Bad rng gives you hard or impossible teams. But when you level, you eventually climb above that range and there's nothing but really easy or easy teams left.
  • This mode is totally unbalanced. Its not " meant to be hard" , they literally give you impossible match up. Full zeta team lvl 85 when youre not even at lvl 80, have like 2-3 omegas. Its dumb.
  • All you have to do is beat it 150 times and then it's cake.
  • 150 times """"" only """"""
  • I doesn't stay impossible though. As you level, it gets easier even to the point of boring. That's why the sim was needed. They capped the difficulty at something being based off a player shortly after hitting level 85 so once you hit 85 it should stop getting harder. It will still be challenging for awhile but eventually your roster just out grows it.
    Hence my whole point about it being a bad design. It's the hardest when I'm leveling up, which is also when I cannot afford to dump resources on multiple squads. Later, when I can afford it, it becomes too easy and I just sim it. What the heck?
  • There is most definitely rng involved in the selection of the teams. I don't think anyone has argued that there isn't. The alternative is to face the same programmed teams which would get boring a lot sooner.
    I was replying to Kyno's post, which, as I understood it, said it was not true.

• All you have to do is beat it 150 times and then it's cake.
    If there was an exclamation point, I'd guess this to be sarcasm.

That's half of year, if you win every single one of them. So, depending on RNG, somewhere between 8-10 months. Which is a very long time...
    All you have to do is beat it 150 times and then it's cake.
    If there was an exclamation point, I'd guess this to be sarcasm.

That's half of year, if you win every single one of them. So, depending on RNG, somewhere between 8-10 months. Which is a very long time...

It’s some time yes, but , also look at it that there is a light at the end of the tunnel, it’s miles better then it was before.

In some respects, your stance on Gw could be extrapolated to the previous version, which was non simmable and actually insanely hard forever,. . Then at that level, people would agree, however, making the current style a gimme basically across all levels, doesn’t make sense.

Try looking at it like this, it’s a job, it requires you to work hard, it forces you to be better then your are, and the reward in the end is to sim it.

Just try that,
  • AOHNH
    43 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    Then at that level, people would agree, however, making the current style a gimme basically across all levels, doesn’t make sense.
    Don't like repeating myself, but I guess I have to: I'm not asking for a gimme.
    Try looking at it like this, it’s a job, it requires you to work hard, it forces you to be better then your are, and the reward in the end is to sim it.
    Disagree on almost everything here. If video games became jobs for everyone - with no pay - then they would die an instant death. They're supposed to be everything but a job.

Also, GW doesn't really require you to work that hard. There are some battles that take 3-4 tries to get the rolls in your favor. But my complaint is about battles that are simply unwinnable. There's no "work", there's no "try", there's only "give up cause it's impossible".

And it doesn't force me to be better by throwing those unwinnable battles at me. There's no goal to strive for. It simply sucks that I get rolled a battle that cannot be won. This is not what most games are about.
  • Just because you refuse to believe that having more then one squad built up is th Europe’s way to handle Gw , doesn’t make you right. The point of Gw is to punish players that build one squad only, and have zero roster depth to deal with squads that are able to thrash their precious chosen five. Anyway, yes , by insisting that you should only have to build one squad, you are in essence demanding a gimme, someday you will realize that.

Have fun and enjoy
  • Just because you refuse to believe that having more then one squad built up is th Europe’s way to handle Gw , doesn’t make you right. The point of Gw is to punish players that build one squad only, and have zero roster depth to deal with squads that are able to thrash their precious chosen five. Anyway, yes , by insisting that you should only have to build one squad, you are in essence demanding a gimme, someday you will realize that.
    I don't know what else to tell you... It looks like you're ignoring my counter-arguments and just keep repeating yourself again and again.

I can tell you the same thing - just because you repeat stuff without actually addressing the issues I posted earlier, it doesn't make you right.

• And you can feel righteous as you want winning all arguments, nothing’s changing in GW. Good luck.
  • [
    Hi all –

I wanted to give an update on Galactic War tuning.

Before I get into it, I want to reiterate that the goals of this feature continue to be:
    • Provide a real challenge to players. In other words: it’s meant to be hard!
    • Provide a place in the game where your entire collection can be brought to bear. Potentially every character can help you succeed.
    • Provide a “war of attrition” where health is persisted as you progressed in battles.
    • Provide a place where there’s an ever-evolving set of challenges in terms of which characters / parties / builds can be most effective. (As more characters are released, and as more types of builds are discovered and developed by the players, this will become increasingly true.)

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/50943/recent-tweak-to-galactic-war-tuning

It's meant to be hard.
    It's meant to require multiple teams.
    It's meant to have moving goal posts.

You're not meant to win every day.

It's great that you want it changed but it's unlikely to be changed.
  • AOHNH
    43 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    jhbuchholz wrote: »
    It's meant to be hard.
    I'm not against hard, I'm against impossible.
    It's meant to require multiple teams.
    These cannot possibly be applicable to new players. It's not logical to level up multiple squads for new players, it will slow them down in every other area of the game.
    It's meant to have moving goal posts.
    You're not meant to win every day.
    Quoted post doesn't say nor implies anything like this.
    It's great that you want it changed but it's unlikely to be changed.
    I can still suggest improvements. Perhaps if enough new players join up, something can be done to fix this issue.
    These cannot possibly be applicable to new players. It's not logical to level up multiple squads for new players, it will slow them down in every other area of the game.

:D

The whole game mode is only for new players. Of course it's applicable to new players. Not every player is a min/maxer. It gives diversity to the game.
    Quoted post doesn't say nor implies anything like this.

Not sure which of the two statements you're referring to so I'll go with the obvious one. "You're not meant to win every day." was separated from the others because you're right, the quote doesn't say or imply that. Folks from CG have said it plenty of time though and you can go search for it.
  • jhbuchholz wrote: »

The whole game mode is only for new players. Of course it's applicable to new players. Not every player is a min/maxer. It gives diversity to the game.
    So, it basically provides a way to double (or more) the time it takes to get a strong squad that can compete in arena and meaningfully participate in guild events sooner? Leaving this player far behind in the dust?

Funny, the most difficult part of the leveling up experience is meant for the most laid back players. Isn't that ironic?
    Not sure which of the two statements you're referring to so I'll go with the obvious one. "You're not meant to win every day." was separated from the others because you're right, the quote doesn't say or imply that. Folks from CG have said it plenty of time though and you can go search for it.
    Then it needs rework. Simply stop GW progression at random. There's absolutely no reason to cause frustration by throwing impossible odds at players.

I'd prefer a better solution - give players 3 refreshes to be used per GW run. RNG swings are far too wild.
    jhbuchholz wrote: »

So, it basically provides a way to double (or more) the time it takes to get a strong squad that can compete in arena and meaningfully participate in guild events sooner? Leaving this player far behind in the dust?

Funny, the most difficult part of the leveling up experience is meant for the most laid back players. Isn't that ironic?
    Then it needs rework. Simply stop GW progression at random. There's absolutely no reason to cause frustration by throwing impossible odds at players.

I'd prefer a better solution - give players 3 refreshes to be used per GW run. RNG swings are far too wild.

You just don’t seem to get it, the point is to make you develop more then one squad. The point is to punish you for only building one squad up.
    That's not a bad idea. Maybe give us a single-node refresh (a mulligan so to speak) that can be used when an absolute crushing team is given to us.

• papy72 wrote: »
    That's not a bad idea. Maybe give us a single-node refresh (a mulligan so to speak) that can be used when an absolute crushing team is given to us.

I'm actually surprised they haven't added a way to refresh a dead character or something like that. For crystals of course. Though, the rewards don't warrant doing that anyway. Even if it was 5 crystals per character, 25 crystals is still more than I'd pay for a few hundred gw currency.

I guess depending in the node, you could refresh at, you may break even if the next node gives crystals, but it would be unlikely to net a gain too often.

So I doubt it would be that useful for players that can't beat it and want the rewards.

Though it may drain resources from those that think they need to beat it everyday no matter whatthe cost.