Star Wars the old republic (KOTOR)

Replies

• So I did some searching, switched to Vibroblades and charged Calo. He went down like a sack of banthas. Finally got through
  • I found out what the issue is for loading saves. I had to delete 3 folders but my issue is I’m stuck fighting Davik with only canderous and no other ally. My other last save was 5 hours previous. I get creamed even on easy...

Is calo already down or are you still fighting both in the hanger?

You may try putting stims on your characters right before the battle. If you boost the strength of canderous and use melee weapons with him, he should do massive dmg with his power attack.

Same goes for revan but it depends on your class. I'm guessing you didn't pick solider because combat seems to be an issue. I personally like scoundrel as a class better but solider does typically do better in combat especially before you get force powers.

I notice it most with the fight with malak at the end. The solider class and jedi guardian class hits harder on physical attacks. But you can compensate with the right allies in most parts of the game and it is still winnable with all classes. You just have to get more creative than smash if you're not a solider.
  • I found out what the issue is for loading saves. I had to delete 3 folders but my issue is I’m stuck fighting Davik with only canderous and no other ally. My other last save was 5 hours previous. I get creamed even on easy...

You may try putting stims on your characters right before the battle. If you boost the strength of canderous and use melee weapons with him, he should do massive dmg with his power attack.

Same goes for revan but it depends on your class. I'm guessing you didn't pick solider because combat seems to be an issue. I personally like scoundrel as a class better but solider does typically do better in combat especially before you get force powers.

I notice it most with the fight with malak at the end. The solider class and jedi guardian class hits harder on physical attacks. But you can compensate with the right allies in most parts of the game and it is still winnable with all classes. You just have to get more creative than smash if you're not a solider.

I picked soldier as class. I’m still trying to figure out the menus and what gear to give to who. I put Vibroblades on main character (didn’t know I was playing as revan, but assumed) then I threw a Grenade at Calo, bumrushed and gave him the Deadpool.
  • So I did some searching, switched to Vibroblades and charged Calo. He went down like a sack of banthas. Finally got through

yeah canderous is better with melee weapons in my opinion. I would advise choosing either melee or blasters for each ally and focusing on just the feats that make them better at that.

For example, if you use carth with his dual blasters, upgrade his power shot all the way and ignore all the melee feats. Trying to switch back and forth just makes the mediocre at both but not good at either.

For revan, i recommend melee then lightsaber feats. I even sometimes use one lightsaber and a good melee weapon as the off hand weapon.

I picked soldier as class. I’m still trying to figure out the menus and what gear to give to who. I put Vibroblades on main character (didn’t know I was playing as revan, but assumed) then I threw a Grenade at Calo, bumrushed and gave him the Deadpool.

As a solider, melee or lightsabers will do best. Just upgrade your feats to have one good attack mastered. I prefer flurry to the critical attack or power attack but any of them work. Also any gear that adds strength will help you kill faster in combat.
  • With skills during leveling up, what is the cap for levels? So far I’ve been using the recommended skill from the game. I don’t really understand what I’m doing. I just chose my Jedi class, so I’m a soldier guardian @lvl 9 on Dantooine.
  • With skills during leveling up, what is the cap for levels? So far I’ve been using the recommended skill from the game. I don’t really understand what I’m doing. I just chose my Jedi class, so I’m a soldier guardian @lvl 9 on Dantooine.

Maximum player level is 20, and there is some relationship between level and how high the skills go.

Found a downloadable copy of the manual which is quite in depth if it helps here: https://support.aspyr.com/hc/en-us/articles/203395664-Knights-of-the-Old-Republic-Manual?mobile_site=true
  • Thanks!
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    I found out what the issue is for loading saves. I had to delete 3 folders but my issue is I’m stuck fighting Davik with only canderous and no other ally. My other last save was 5 hours previous. I get creamed even on easy...

Uh oh! - do you have any level ups saved? Not sure what you inventory is like to help much.

Are you able to load an earlier save? (hopefully not too early).
  • I left off where I was supposed to fight the guy to get the sith armor and enter the underground. Maybe I need to play further?

The game didn't age super well, and Taris is the worst part about that game. When you get off of Taris the game picks up considerably.
  • Boo wrote: »
    I found out what the issue is for loading saves. I had to delete 3 folders but my issue is I’m stuck fighting Davik with only canderous and no other ally. My other last save was 5 hours previous. I get creamed even on easy...

Uh oh! - do you have any level ups saved? Not sure what you inventory is like to help much.

I'm all squared away, last time I was in game, I was on Tatooine and had just purchase a cheeky HK-47, meatbag.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Boo wrote: »

I'm all squared away, last time I was in game, I was on Tatooine and had just purchase a cheeky HK-47, meatbag.

Are fighting Davik (who dies on Taris) or Calo Nord the Bounty Hunter?
  • If you aren't a big Star Wars nerd you won't enjoy it as much. The game play is horribly dated and it IS the conversations, planets and story which make it so great. For those who love Star Wars it is like a full movie. I hate giving away spoilers so I won't but somewhere around lvl 15-20 when you get off boring taris the story picks up a lot and gets way more fun. Plus the tombs of Korriban are sweet! I couldn't believe what I was seeing when I first played it whenever it came out.
  • The gameplay is dated because the game is dated ... 2003. And it's an RPG, so conversations are kind of the expectation there :) Normally you get off Taris by about level 7-8. If you don't like older games, RPGs, or SW, then I agree -- it's a pass.
    xSWCr - Nov '15 shard - swgoh.gg kalidor-m
  • kalidor wrote: »
    The gameplay is dated because the game is dated ... 2003. And it's an RPG, so conversations are kind of the expectation there :) Normally you get off Taris by about level 7-8. If you don't like older games, RPGs, or SW, then I agree -- it's a pass.

My love of SW is driving me for sure. I can't stand all the talking, more blasting and indiscriminate lightsaber swinging please! Although I am walking the path of the Jedi, so diplomat it is.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    kalidor wrote: »
    The gameplay is dated because the game is dated ... 2003. And it's an RPG, so conversations are kind of the expectation there :) Normally you get off Taris by about level 7-8. If you don't like older games, RPGs, or SW, then I agree -- it's a pass.

My love of SW is driving me for sure. I can't stand all the talking, more blasting and indiscriminate lightsaber swinging please! Although I am walking the path of the Jedi, so diplomat it is.

Where abouts in the game are you now?

Finished Kashyyyk and went to Manaan. So Tatooine down, Dantooine finish, Kashyyyk liberated.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member

Finished Kashyyyk and went to Manaan. So Tatooine down, Dantooine finish, Kashyyyk liberated.

Nice!

Before you finish Manaan - make sure there is nothing you need from Dantoine because after Manaan you will not be able to go back.

Utilize the Manaan duplicate item cheat:

Get to Republic substation equip party members with best gear (lightsabers, crystals, robes, guns, upgrades, armour etc).

You can get a pressurized suite to walk across the surface underwater. Leave the substation to do this, after de-quipping your party members of everything. Immediately go back inside they will have all items back on them as well as the ones you took off in your inventory - repeat as many times as you need.

You can give Carth 2 blasters etc - or sell duplicate high value items for big credits!
  • Awesome.

Nice!

Before you finish Manaan - make sure there is nothing you need from Dantoine because after Manaan you will not be able to go back.

Utilize the Manaan duplicate item cheat:

Get to Republic substation equip party members with best gear (lightsabers, crystals, robes, guns, upgrades, armour etc).

You can get a pressurized suite to walk across the surface underwater. Leave the substation to do this, after de-quipping your party members of everything. Immediately go back inside they will have all items back on them as well as the ones you took off in your inventory - repeat as many times as you need.

You can give Carth 2 blasters etc - or sell duplicate high value items for big credits!

Awesome!
  • I got me a question. Is there a game before KotOR? Or do they go back and cover what happened before? So far I've gathered that I am playing as Revan, and I have some sort of amnesia. Just wondering if there was a game that covered the events up to KotOR.
  • I got me a question. Is there a game before KotOR? Or do they go back and cover what happened before? So far I've gathered that I am playing as Revan, and I have some sort of amnesia. Just wondering if there was a game that covered the events up to KotOR.

The game does a decent job of explaining the backstory sometime near the end. But no, no other game covering that period (unless The Old Republic touches on it, never played it - no time for MMOs).
    Hopefully you've at least gotten past the point that the recent marquee releases sort of spoiled.
    I got me a question. Is there a game before KotOR? Or do they go back and cover what happened before? So far I've gathered that I am playing as Revan, and I have some sort of amnesia. Just wondering if there was a game that covered the events up to KotOR.

The game does a decent job of explaining the backstory sometime near the end. But no, no other game covering that period (unless The Old Republic touches on it, never played it - no time for MMOs).
    Hopefully you've at least gotten past the point that the recent marquee releases sort of spoiled.

Manaan and there was a spoiled game plot. I just hope I can turn her back
    I got me a question. Is there a game before KotOR? Or do they go back and cover what happened before? So far I've gathered that I am playing as Revan, and I have some sort of amnesia. Just wondering if there was a game that covered the events up to KotOR.

Considering the entire game is based on a light/dark side struggle of choices, that all depends on you :)

Considering the entire game is based on a light/dark side struggle of choices, that all depends on you :)

This is true. I will have to make the most Jedi choices then lol.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member

Obviously you know Bastilla falls - before that happens, focus on your love story and pursued to get her back.

Obviously you know Bastilla falls - before that happens, focus on your love story and pursued to get her back.

I don't know if I failed, but the last her and I spoke, she wanted time to think. I did prevent her from leaving. (Why does this feel so strange to write out? I'm glad I already got married, because this is some tough work! I would rather swing a lightsaber!)
  • So I’ve had some time to advance more in KotOR and have been impressed. Manaan underwater world was ok, found the star map, and saved the big shark thing. Locals love me and I racked some DS points with that bounty hunter society challenge😡. I knew I was Revan already but the reveal was cool! Bastila captured and I’m on my way to Korriban. So not a bad night of KotOR
  • So I’ve had some time to advance more in KotOR and have been impressed. Manaan underwater world was ok, found the star map, and saved the big shark thing. Locals love me and I racked some DS points with that bounty hunter society challenge😡. I knew I was Revan already but the reveal was cool! Bastila captured and I’m on my way to Korriban. So not a bad night of KotOR

Korriban is my favourite of the 4 worlds, kashyyyk being my second fav. Some of the puzzles were downright annoying there though. Luckily it's a lot easier to find the answers online thess days.
    So I’ve had some time to advance more in KotOR and have been impressed. Manaan underwater world was ok, found the star map, and saved the big shark thing. Locals love me and I racked some DS points with that bounty hunter society challenge😡. I knew I was Revan already but the reveal was cool! Bastila captured and I’m on my way to Korriban. So not a bad night of KotOR

Korriban is my favourite of the 4 worlds, kashyyyk being my second fav. Some of the puzzles were downright annoying there though. Luckily it's a lot easier to find the answers online thess days.

The internet has made cheating so much easier! lol.
    The storyline is actually captivating. Even though SWGOH dropped a huge bomb on me recently with Bastila fallen, and knowing I was playing Revan, I still am enjoying the game.
  • I left off where I was supposed to fight the guy to get the sith armor and enter the underground. Maybe I need to play further?

The first part of both Kotor games are super slow and take forever. Once you get off Taris in the first game it's a lot more fun, plus just getting to know all the characters and Revans back story is worth it.