Status of the GameChanger program?

Replies

• Ultra
    11502 posts Moderator
    As someone who watches some of the Gamechangers videos occasionally, I'd like to say that the gamechangers program shutting down is bad for the Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes community

The CG Narrative:

They've been positive about a lot of characters, announcement and kits which is always viewed as drinking the CG kool-aid by some people but that's not the case. They genuinely enjoy those characters, announcements and are expressing them. CG doesn't tell them to like it or tell people to like it. Which is what I like about CG, they don't force the Game changers to only state things positively

The Gamechangers aren't force-fed by Capital Games to push forward a narrative or agenda, I've seen a lot of them criticize and express disappointment on things Capital Games has been doing over the months. I've seen almost all of them express dissatisfaction with the Sith Triumvirate Raid. Ahnald whaled out on Jango Fett and it was the first time he whaled out on a toon and he stated that the experience was awful and he would use his direct channel to let them know that the $300 price tag for a single marquee toon needs to be changed. I've seen Warrior plead to CapitalGames on a video requesting for Jedi Knight Revan's event to be delayed by a week or two, he was on-track to farm Revan and unlock him in time. He only plead to them for the sake of the community. And then there was Mobile gamer's video where you can just see how bad it felt for him to whale on a single toon and it was detracting people from spending money on the game. They are not CG shills at all. They are just fans of the franchise.

Theory crafting:

Honestly, don't get the hate of them using test accounts to theory craft. A lot of ideas are done through game changers test account. They do live streaming and requests from the community, and plug and play those teams and check if its a good fit or not. A lot of the videos, they'll talk about spending hours and hours to find the best composition. The zMaul / Enfys combo was discovered by Mobile Gamer to counter Revan. Without the game changers program, everyone has a limit of 5 arena attempts, with a 10 minute waiting between arena battles and they don't have new toons at 7 stars, fully geared to experiment on. They can only raid via guild raid and they won't be able to experiment on phases anymore because the other 49 members will be blitzing it. So its less theory crafting now than before where anyone can DM them and try a team out.
  • Ultra they make enough money from Patreon Supporters and You Tube Advertisers to pay rent, utilities, food and whale on this game. That being said Mobile Gamer did not spend his money on Raven and if that was gonna make him feel bad he should not have spend it at all instead of acting on video all hurt and disturbed.

Most of their theory crafting is really bad and it makes you wonder if they are bit slow (Forrest Gump kind of slow) or are they acting in bad faith.
    Perfect example of this is team with slow high tenacity Nest with zMaul as a leader and Sion, Nihilus and Traya. In that video they kept manually marking Nest and group attacking her and they saying this system works completely ignoring that Nest at the beginning of the battle had no special protection but thanks to their action had 5 stacks of it as well as offense after their action. In that same video they did not include Bastila Shan in Revan's squad as she is "too slow and useless".

Now if you look at McMole2 video of Raven squad with Bastilla where he swaps turn meter with her have her give rally to GMY and have him attack Nest you would notice that it took whole 15 seconds to kill Nest, zMaul and mark and start attacking Traya and that is because zMaul, Nest team does not work.
    Nest has one use and that is aoe daze and to do so effectively she needs to be fast so you can use her like that or you can drink Mobile Gamer Cool Aid and slow her down and become known as "freebie" in your arena shard.

Game Changers videos should be used only for entertainment purposes and not to make decisions on how to build your teams or what not.
    Game Changers are testament on why P2W games blow as you see people with 4.5 million GP accounts and you realize they don't have a clue on how to actually use their characters unless they turn auto play against opponent which they grossly outmatch.
    Not all of the Game Changers are the same as I actually respect Warrior as he seem to be most point on with his opinions.

PS.
    I used McMole2 video for my argument as it shows fallacy of Mobile Gamer zMaul/Nest team and then I watched his video about JTR obliterating Revan's team which made me wonder why did he left out Bastila Shan from Revan's team. In both cases you can say "look this is working" and then record the battle but in reality when you introduce Bastila it will not work anymore and players will end up with wasted Zetas and gear pieces on characters they did not to gear up.

PS2
    I am glad if the program has ended but will continue to watch and support videos by some of these guys if they decide to go on.
  • I've long suspected that the Gamechangers Program was a secret reboot of the Montauk Project. If I'm correct, it makes sense that they would keep quiet about it.
  • Ultra wrote: »
    Every YouTuber has the ability to do a write-off, I'm not familiar with the legality of it (what conditions need to be met, what expenses can be written off etc.) but I know that you don't need to have a game changer title to do that.
    Well, basically, you can write anything you want off as a business expense. You could buy a super expensive TV and claim you hook your phone up to it to get better picture quality. You could buy a yacht and claim you do your videos on it.

You can claim anything you want--But folks who do weird stuff tend to get audited :)
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Ultra wrote: »
    As someone who watches some of the Gamechangers videos occasionally, I'd like to say that the gamechangers program shutting down is bad for the Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes community

The CG Narrative:

They've been positive about a lot of characters, announcement and kits which is always viewed as drinking the CG kool-aid by some people but that's not the case. They genuinely enjoy those characters, announcements and are expressing them. CG doesn't tell them to like it or tell people to like it. Which is what I like about CG, they don't force the Game changers to only state things positively

The Gamechangers aren't force-fed by Capital Games to push forward a narrative or agenda, I've seen a lot of them criticize and express disappointment on things Capital Games has been doing over the months. I've seen almost all of them express dissatisfaction with the Sith Triumvirate Raid. Ahnald whaled out on Jango Fett and it was the first time he whaled out on a toon and he stated that the experience was awful and he would use his direct channel to let them know that the $300 price tag for a single marquee toon needs to be changed. I've seen Warrior plead to CapitalGames on a video requesting for Jedi Knight Revan's event to be delayed by a week or two, he was on-track to farm Revan and unlock him in time. He only plead to them for the sake of the community. And then there was Mobile gamer's video where you can just see how bad it felt for him to whale on a single toon and it was detracting people from spending money on the game. They are not CG shills at all. They are just fans of the franchise.

Theory crafting:

Honestly, don't get the hate of them using test accounts to theory craft. A lot of ideas are done through game changers test account. They do live streaming and requests from the community, and plug and play those teams and check if its a good fit or not. A lot of the videos, they'll talk about spending hours and hours to find the best composition. The zMaul / Enfys combo was discovered by Mobile Gamer to counter Revan. Without the game changers program, everyone has a limit of 5 arena attempts, with a 10 minute waiting between arena battles and they don't have new toons at 7 stars, fully geared to experiment on. They can only raid via guild raid and they won't be able to experiment on phases anymore because the other 49 members will be blitzing it. So its less theory crafting now than before where anyone can DM them and try a team out.

I agree on all your points. It's a benefit we're getting for free. I don't understand the full on hatred.

Having said that gamechangers are probably subconciously experiencing a bit of self censorship and as a result come out more optimistic about releases than they really are. But this is not enough of a backdraw to desire their demise.
  • Germi
    553 posts Member
    They made some incredible misjudgments on some crucial toons : EP zeta L / RJT (not great they said).
    However the fun and work they bring to the community is absolutely fantastic especially in the last 6 months where they have been a lot more humble and enjoyable imho.
  • Lol I'm amazed how many of you believed (hopefully it's past tense now!) That the GC accounts were on shared servers where they reigned supreme!

While we can still read the insanely long character release info they post on here I personally preferred watching GC character release videos, as I'm sure many of you do.
  • Xezee
    274 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    No_Try wrote: »
    How will it help CGs case in any positive way though? Now that they are not sponsored, they'll be even more freeminded and critical of the future events.

Good luck with that. EA will monitor their channels and issue DMCA strikes every time they won't like the punctuation. Plus every week for good measure.
    but relegating theory crafting to Krakens only is not a good thing.

Considering what impact Revan had on the arena, I'm not sure if theorycrafting is even needed anymore.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Xezee wrote: »
    How will it help CGs case in any positive way though? Now that they are not sponsored, they'll be even more freeminded and critical of the future events.

Good luck with that. EA will monitor their channels and issue DMCA strikes every time they won't like the punctuation. Plus every week for good measure.
    but relegating theory crafting to Krakens only is not a good thing.

Considering what impact Revan had on the arena, I'm not sure if theorycrafting is even needed anymore.

How so? If their gamechanger privileges ended, they are not bound by any law or agreement. They become just players ranting about things like us.
  • Xezee
    274 posts Member
    How so? If their gamechanger privileges ended, they are not bound by any law or agreement. They become just players ranting about things like us.

YT copyright protection is completely broken. Any use of music, in-game footage or artwork can be used for DMCA takedown. I think they could take the channel down for even saying "Star Wars" regardless of context. Don't think too high about the internet of 2018, it is money-driven and corporate controlled.
  • wrekincruw wrote: »
    tanki60o wrote: »
    I think it is ending. Because of that, plus the road ahead, I thought they would abandon the game. But no, they said the road ahead is coming soon so I’m not worried about that.
    What I’m extremely worried about is the probable end to the game changers program. They’re test accounts are needed for most of their videos...

Heaven forbid they have to actually farm and gear up the characters like everyone else if they want to use them. It will be great if the people who get to show off the characters/teams etc are the people who actually took the leap and invested their own resources into them.

You really don't get the concept of a test account, do you...

Pretty sure the GC program was killed because the biggest channels were all critical of the Revan launch.

Not surprising, feel like something is changing here that is considerably less player friendly.

No, regardless of how they word it saying that is a test account is just a novel idea the fact is they still have access to the characters and can play with them as much as they want whenever they want just on a separate account it is just an alternate account that's all it is they have free access free ride over sorry boys. The grunt of it is the community does not need them. CG had at one point needed them to help promote their new releases and act as yes men which they did faithfully but that cost them face with the community who sniffed that out, in response they acted as if they were not CG puppet pals especially releasing those paywall revan videos which didn't sit well with the bosses so that sealed it for them. Now some might say they were helping players by releasing videos, to that the reply is if you give almost anyone a max toon and free range to experiment then they will be able to do the same thing. Pretty much if you can read you can see on your own if a kit is good or not. Outside of McMole who genuinely develops original concepts and strategies there is no need for those guys except as novelty. Now if they wanna make videos I say let them make videos only difference is let them grind for their characters the way all of us have to

So in short you are jealous that someone has access to a test account and you do not.

Each of the GCs have their own accounts and use them on their videos all the time. However, theory crafting is best in the test account, as are things like the tournaments.

It is content that players enjoy and drew attention to the game.

Why do you even care?

Because I'm jealous that they can have multiple accounts with unreleased maxed toons. Learn how to use them before anyone else and then pass that edge onto their guild. Why do you care what I care?
  • ShaggyB
    2390 posts Member
    Ugnaught wrote: »
    Rmaxtpmx wrote: »
    It's amazing how many people have no idea what a gamechanger account is. It's not a quality-control or beta-testing account. It's not a free-ride for personal use. It's not an advertisement from the developers.

It's nothing more or less than a chance for people who are already producing quality videos to showcase the fullest potential of game content, so the players can make informed decisions on resource allocation.

There is no money gained from this, but the developers do have to release information early in order for the videos to be properly produced.
    You don't seem to understand that YouTube is monetized. You also don't seem to comprehend the reality of a consumer base promoting a company basically unrestricted. You have a very naive perspective of game changers.

Not sure your point. Dont like them, dont watch them. They get paid by youtube for advertising youtube shows a viewer, not what EA oe CG want them to say.

• ShaggyB
    2390 posts Member
    wrekincruw wrote: »
    I think it is ending. Because of that, plus the road ahead, I thought they would abandon the game. But no, they said the road ahead is coming soon so I’m not worried about that.
    What I’m extremely worried about is the probable end to the game changers program. They’re test accounts are needed for most of their videos...

Heaven forbid they have to actually farm and gear up the characters like everyone else if they want to use them. It will be great if the people who get to show off the characters/teams etc are the people who actually took the leap and invested their own resources into them.

Pretty sure the GC program was killed because the biggest channels were all critical of the Revan launch.

Not surprising, feel like something is changing here that is considerably less player friendly.

No, regardless of how they word it saying that is a test account is just a novel idea the fact is they still have access to the characters and can play with them as much as they want whenever they want just on a separate account it is just an alternate account that's all it is they have free access free ride over sorry boys. The grunt of it is the community does not need them. CG had at one point needed them to help promote their new releases and act as yes men which they did faithfully but that cost them face with the community who sniffed that out, in response they acted as if they were not CG puppet pals especially releasing those paywall revan videos which didn't sit well with the bosses so that sealed it for them. Now some might say they were helping players by releasing videos, to that the reply is if you give almost anyone a max toon and free range to experiment then they will be able to do the same thing. Pretty much if you can read you can see on your own if a kit is good or not. Outside of McMole who genuinely develops original concepts and strategies there is no need for those guys except as novelty. Now if they wanna make videos I say let them make videos only difference is let them grind for their characters the way all of us have to

So in short you are jealous that someone has access to a test account and you do not.

Each of the GCs have their own accounts and use them on their videos all the time. However, theory crafting is best in the test account, as are things like the tournaments.

Why do you even care?

Because I'm jealous that they can have multiple accounts with unreleased maxed toons. Learn how to use them before anyone else and then pass that edge onto their guild. Why do you care what I care?

Do you believe the rest of the guild magically gets rhe character to max and suddenly has an edge?

The CG Narrative:

Theory crafting:

You are definitely a GC, lol, you guys cant fool us.
  • Actually they never left, the names have been changed to protect the..... lol
  • ShaggyB wrote: »

Why do you even care?

Do you believe the rest of the guild magically gets rhe character to max and suddenly has an edge?

Do you believe once a GC tests and experiments with the new release he doesn't give his guilds a red or green light and they Buy the shards and max, that is what whales do. You are naive to think different.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

Why do you even care?

In many cases this is not how the situation plays out. They usually only get a new toon a few days beforehand and make the content right before that new toon is rolled out. I'm not saying that's not enough to get some of the ins and outs, but it's not enough to become a master of that toon and come out with the best strategy. Most meta teams have been either super obvious or come up from players after release. Most GC content from initial release has been all fluff and hype IMO, no real meat. That comes later when they or others have more time to play.
  • Kyno wrote: »

Why do you even care?

In many cases this is not how the situation plays out. They usually only get a new toon a few days beforehand and make the content right before that new toon is rolled out. I'm not saying that's not enough to get some of the ins and outs, but it's not enough to become a master of that toon and come out with the best strategy. Most meta teams have been either super obvious or come up from players after release. Most GC content from initial release has been all fluff and hype IMO, no real meat. That comes later when they or others have more time to play.

Personally I don't care if they have a board member of EA/CG cut their food. Why is this even an issue? Okay where did they go, shows possible concern. Otherwise.. boredom has to be the reason. (Not you Kyno, just grabbed a relevant post to give context).
  • It amazes me tht so many ppl don’t understand the concept of a gamechanger account. They cant use them against any normal player. They cant use them for any part of the game or events. They cant move chars from there to their personal accounts. Its only for testing an yes their testing has helped us normal players in more ways than i can go on about here but let me name a few anyway. U get 5 battles a day in arena so unless u wanna spend 1k crystals a day testing different teams out to see what works best then watching them doing it live an running our suggestions is the next best option. An for the ppl that said they are EA shills i have seen all of the gamechangers very critical of EA an the decisions they have made over time. They don’t force u to watch their vids so if u wanna test chars for yourself then do that. For the rest of us that cant spend 1k crystals a day wasting battles they are our best hope of learning if a char is useful an who best to use with an in what situations. And before u can say there is other areas to test chars,then name one. Gw? Ha nope thats 12 nodes of junk teams that u would never face in arena so its no help. Tw? Well if U wanna lose few battles costing your guild the war then u do tht. So i for one hope this is just a short term maybe tryin keep summin very big secret kind of situation. I have appreciated all the great info an vids they have released. I choose to watch their content an u my good sir can choose not to watch it thats your prerogative. But atleast know what your talking about instead of coming on here blabbing your mouth looking stupid doin it.
  • Ultra
    11502 posts Moderator
    Zinke7 wrote: »
    Ultra they make enough money from Patreon Supporters and You Tube Advertisers to pay rent, utilities, food and whale on this game. That being said Mobile Gamer did not spend his money on Raven and if that was gonna make him feel bad he should not have spend it at all instead of acting on video all hurt and disturbed.

Most of their theory crafting is really bad and it makes you wonder if they are bit slow (Forrest Gump kind of slow) or are they acting in bad faith.
    Perfect example of this is team with slow high tenacity Nest with zMaul as a leader and Sion, Nihilus and Traya. In that video they kept manually marking Nest and group attacking her and they saying this system works completely ignoring that Nest at the beginning of the battle had no special protection but thanks to their action had 5 stacks of it as well as offense after their action. In that same video they did not include Bastila Shan in Revan's squad as she is "too slow and useless".

Now if you look at McMole2 video of Raven squad with Bastilla where he swaps turn meter with her have her give rally to GMY and have him attack Nest you would notice that it took whole 15 seconds to kill Nest, zMaul and mark and start attacking Traya and that is because zMaul, Nest team does not work.
    Nest has one use and that is aoe daze and to do so effectively she needs to be fast so you can use her like that or you can drink Mobile Gamer Cool Aid and slow her down and become known as "freebie" in your arena shard.

PS.
    I used McMole2 video for my argument as it shows fallacy of Mobile Gamer zMaul/Nest team and then I watched his video about JTR obliterating Revan's team which made me wonder why did he left out Bastila Shan from Revan's team. In both cases you can say "look this is working" and then record the battle but in reality when you introduce Bastila it will not work anymore and players will end up with wasted Zetas and gear pieces on characters they did not to gear up.
    I don't actually follow any of the "BEST META TEAM" they do.

They've been proven time and time and time again that they aren't right. I don't like Mobilegamer's gameplay videos because he always makes the least optimal moves, and doesn't know the synergy of all his toons and its just cringey to watch. I just look at a GC videos for interesting team compositions, or when a kit reveal is done just to see how the toon is (damage, speed, proposed synergy). I do my own personal experiments in arena because the ideas I have are too farfetched.

I do like the raid + territory wars side of teams they come up with, like the Qi'Ra + Scoundrels team. Even though Mobile gamer does not play optimally, there are some team compositions he shows that I can use in Territory Wars. All the good GC team ideas are from the viewers suggesting them to try such and such lineups (which was my initial point). I do agree that McMole makes excellent content without being a game changer (especially his raid videos where he fully explains every move and why), McMole was also trying to get back into the program (last I checked) for a reason. He has a bigger voice that the devs can listen to.

Just because they make Patreon / Advertising money doesn't mean squat. Money isn't raining from the sky. They have real jobs, tuition fees, student loans to pay for. They have busy lives (some have families) and they take time sitting all day for hours, making content and then editing them. Its well-deserved. Patreon / Advertisement is a source of income that takes work and effort to build, and you can start your own Patreon and YT channel and you can see its not easy. We can agree to disagree on this topic. I'm not going to argue further on this topic because it doesn't seem like I'm going to budge or change my point of view on the subject so its not a healthy debate.

I don't really care if the game changers have it hard now or won't be able to make videos anymore. I don't care if X gamechanger is better than Y non-game changer.

My point is: The game changers program allowed a select group of people to discuss directly with the developers about issues WE were having with the game.

Did they properly convey our issues to the developers is another debate (I think not) but we did lose one form of communication to express our problems to the developers.
  • 3pourr2
    1927 posts Member
    Why would EA/CG want to provide income to people that don’t positively promote their game?
  • ShaggyB
    2390 posts Member
    3pourr2 wrote: »
    Why would EA/CG want to provide income to people that don’t positively promote their game?

Again, they dont provide payment. Youtube does that and cancelling the program wont stop those guys from making videos or youtube revenue
  • ShaggyB
    2390 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    ShaggyB wrote: »

Why do you even care?

Do you believe once a GC tests and experiments with the new release he doesn't give his guilds a red or green light and they Buy the shards and max, that is what whales do. You are naive to think different.

As a whale myself, i can judge a kit and pick whether i will whale on it with or without a GC video. Im not sure how you think this will change things.

These guys get ad revenue from youtube and can whale on things themselves and give the same advise. Whales can still react quickly. You gain maybe a day... maybe.... with the arguement you are making.

Lets look at revan. I spent about $195 on getting the final shards i needed to get him unlocked and gear 12+. I had most of the gear i needed and 2 zetas just about ready, but i whaled to get the rest.

I landed in my arena wirh a solid revan team and jumped to first place. Within a day the rest of the whales on my arena reacted and suddenly the top 20 was full of them.

I didnt need a GC to show me how to use it and the other whales in my arena didnt need a GC to go wow that works well time to buy
  • I used a lot of the videos when I was first learning the game and I like Warrior in particular for how he explains things in ways I can understand. For example, the new mod system confuses the heck out of me but his videos on it have helped. They have a lot of use and I’ll continue subscribing and watching no matter what happened with the developers.
  • ShaggyB
    2390 posts Member
    I used a lot of the videos when I was first learning the game and I like Warrior in particular for how he explains things in ways I can understand. For example, the new mod system confuses the heck out of me but his videos on it have helped. They have a lot of use and I’ll continue subscribing and watching no matter what happened with the developers.

Yeah, hes good.

Hes also a whale. This wont slow him down. Heck he even bought anakins ship outright, made a video and advised the community. Just took him 7 hours to post it the morning of anakins ship launch.

So instead of telling us all the day before... he told us the afternoon of.
  • Xezee wrote: »

YT copyright protection is completely broken. Any use of music, in-game footage or artwork can be used for DMCA takedown. I think they could take the channel down for even saying "Star Wars" regardless of context. Don't think too high about the internet of 2018, it is money-driven and corporate controlled.

You don't understand how fair use works apparently.
    Ahnald whaled out on Jango Fett and it was the first time he whaled out on a toon and he stated that the experience was awful.

And then there was Mobile gamer's video where you can just see how bad it felt for him to whale on a single toon.

For these two reasons alone - if I were marketing manager - I would can the entire program. The last thing CG wants is videos showing people feeling terrible spending money on their game - think about it ..... they wanted those videos to show them having fun and loving the experience, so others want to join them (and spend money on their game).
  • 3pourr2
    1927 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    H

Again, they dont provide payment. Youtube does that and cancelling the program wont stop those guys from making videos or youtube revenue

They don’t pay them directy but they do make money using the things EA/CG provide them so my point still stands loud and clear.
    And youtube pays no one its an outlet for the subscribers to pay.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    H

They don’t pay them directy but they do make money using the things EA/CG provide them so my point still stands loud and clear.

Pretty sure you're wrong on that one.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/42395224/evan-edinger-the-five-ways-youtubers-make-money
  • CCyrilS wrote: »
    H

Pretty sure you're wrong on that one.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/42395224/evan-edinger-the-five-ways-youtubers-make-money

Positive that doesn’t say they get paid by youtube
This discussion has been closed.