Poor fleet planning?

Ever since hitting 60 (68 now) i've dumped virtually all of my resources into strengthening my fleet arena team. I started out around rank 120 (newer shard).

I started farming FOTP, ITP, and Biggs, and their ships. Also getting slave 1 and tie adv shards when available. The plan was to get into the top 50. Instead i've actually dropped ranks to around 210.

Did i chose the wrong characters? How can I be pushing all resources into fleet only to be falling behind?

Replies

• Jarvind
    3920 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    Need more info to make a call.

What are other people in your shard running? Are you fighting tons of whaled Hound's Tooth or fleets similar to your own?

How strong are your pilots and ships? 7 stars? Less? Gear level? Are the pilots modded?

Which capital ship are you using and how strong is its commander?

Who are you using for reinforcements? ITF/FOTF/Biggs is a decent starting lineup, but reinforcements can swing the match big time.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• It’s possible that there are a bunch of whales on your shard.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Since it's a young shard and things didn't 'settle' yet, it's quite possible that more players join, who already have farmed pilots before hitting level 60. Having farmed Biggs, TFP; Boba Fett and FOTP to 5*-6* already by then is not unusual.
  • I'm going to echo what they guys above said about needing more info, but don't fret - the ships you're pursuing are all great ships. Heck I sit at the top of my fleet shard with a starting lineup of Biggs, Tie, FOTie. Vader is a reinforcement. Boba is there for gp, but I don't use him anymore.
    Ally Code 766-465-766 swgoh.gg/u/trystansr/collection/
  • 2smooth
    572 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    Yeah it would seem u just started working on ships at lvl 60 and hadn’t even started on pilots which is y u r falling behind. I was working on kilo before ships started and already used Biggs in light side was basically almost 7* prior. U need to put less focus on ship upgrades and more on the pilots also narrow down ur ship credit investment into the 5 or 6 ships that make up ur lineup first as a priority the rest u need can upgrade later u will fall behind when wasting valuable credits and mats on ships ur only using to unlock other ships. I also had boba feta strong he was in arena lineup and used for darkside. If ur focus is just having toons u will always be behind in competative aspects such as fleet or squad. 2 ways to play can’t do both though nothing wrong with each one. Only ships u have to invest in for unlocking material is for tarkin ship (dark side) and ur capital mines happens to be ackbar so I had to invest to upgrade to 5* it’s also use for thrawn but that’s far down the line and can weight. I was beating 5* capital with only 5 ships because battle doesn’t go that long but a hounds tooth will force u to go 6 ships if it’s powerful enough early which I am dealing with now but already planned ahead for the need of capital upgrade because everyone else had theirs already in top 5. I would say if ur goal is top 50 u probably don’t play regularly which will make u fall behind don’t recall many in 50 zone that were active outside top 30.
  • C0herent1
    14 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    I'm maxed daily. And no, I am not spread thin. Farming the 3 pilots up and their gear. Upon inspection it would appear most people around my tier powered up the ships they started with. Ie clone trooper. JC, and it appears pretty much everyone went the KRU route first which is probably why theres a significant power difference. I guess it's just early days. Once vaders ship is unlocked (have him at 6 star). And i cap ITP and KRU in cantina it will smooth out

Of course there are going to be whales, but not 200 of them. It's a shard with 75% of the population using phoenix. Meaning 75% of the population didnt start on their fleet lineup until i did. This appears to be a fairly long term plan. I'm just having trouble seeing how both TIE ships are great. They get crushed by virtually everything i face; in damage, utility, and survivability. And before the speculators question, they're both almost always higher power than the opposition.

One last thing though. I really wanted to work BH team next and needed the next few months of arena tokens for greedo/ig88. Will i be hurting myself by not rushing Tarkin to 7 star?
  • They get tougher with stars/pilots, but they're going to fold without a tank. Hence Biggs. The TFP used to have a 49% dodge rate pre Ships 2.0, which helped offset the lack of protection. That number is a lot lower now, though they upped the TM boost to the capital ship to help offset the loss. I've seen both TIEs crit for over 100k, so there's not much out there that hits harder or faster once the ships are upgraded.
  • C0herent1
    14 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    They get tougher with stars/pilots, but they're going to fold without a tank. Hence Biggs. The TFP used to have a 49% dodge rate pre Ships 2.0, which helped offset the lack of protection. That number is a lot lower now, though they upped the TM boost to the capital ship to help offset the loss. I've seen both TIEs crit for over 100k, so there's not much out there that hits harder or faster once the ships are upgraded.

I appreciate the advise. So they're glass cannons and I should focus on Biggs before them? Also it seems like at the moment I'm having trouble keeping up target lock. Should I have FoTF on reserve for the guaranteed lock?
  • Yeah - if Biggs can't take a few hits, you're going to be hurting anyways. I like FoTie because he can get 2 chances to TL on his basic, is fast, and if the other Tie landed TL first he can use his special for big damage and have it off cooldown for next turn. Other people like running Tie Silencer - that only thing going against that ship is it's lack of TL. Vader is another popular starter ship (for the guaranteed TL), though his reinforcement power is so strong I tend to bring him off of the bench.
  • Tbh the starter ships aren't bad. They are not gonna to get you to the finish line end game but they're worth investing in to hold or advance your place early. Csp1's ship is tanky and taunts and the tie's aren't gonna survive w/o a taunting tank. Jc's assists help out with burst damage etc. I don't use fotp simply because not farming fo yet and his farm (hard node) sucks.
    I leveled my jc csp1 itf and kru to around 60. Jc and csp1 are still there. You Need at least csp1 until you get Biggs.
    I climbed from about 500 to top 50 in about a week (less i think actually) doing that.
    Now I'm in top 20 easy without really putting much effort in with some amalgamation of biggs Vader itf phantom ghost kru ahsoka boba.
    Working on sun fac for tarkin challenges. Scimitar too.
    Wedge and bistans eventually for chimaera. But that'll be a slog and less of a priority than tarkin ability mat challenges.

I've said it before elsewhere but it applies here too .. pay attention to where you want to be, what you want to have, 6 months to a year down the road, but you have to have something to hold your spot until you get there .. because it's a lot harder to move up once everyone else is leveled up and motivated too.
    The biggest problem is pilots - mine were g6-7a and 5-7 stars within a day or so (if they weren't already) when i hit fleet arena, including jc and csp1. I did get a lot of drops from bronze cards so i was lucky.

Also upgrade the basic abilities on the ships. Not purple mats except on ships you'll use long term.
    The amount of mats and credits to have gotten the starter ships to just basic level 60 is minimal comparatively.
    Not sure whether any of this was helpful or not, but that was just my experience starting off.
    UpTheIrons
  • Ftr. The whole world changes once you get Vaders ship, and i say that as someone who got phantom 2 early on(i went the ps route) with it's guaranteed tl, sometimes double tl.
    UpTheIrons
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Ededed wrote: »
    Tbh the starter ships aren't bad.

[...]

Jc's assists help out with burst damage etc.

[...]

I leveled my jc csp1 itf and kru to around 60. Jc and csp1 are still there.

True. My alt still uses JC's ship as reinforcement more than a year after joining the fleet arena. Bringing JC's ship in as a reinforcement calling Tie Advanced with offense up to assist is great burst damage.

(My alt took 1st yesterday — 382k GP Chimaera lead fleet. No bugs yet).

• Not sure if u r on same lvl as others or a few below them. When I started only a few 5 lvls above me most that where above me 2 which is manageable. One tie doges for TM and can apply buff immunity and target lock other can put target lock when reinforced and on basic and has strong attack. They both r worthless by themselves but great when pilots r strong and with Biggs.