What are your words to live by...?

Prev1
DuneSeaFarmer
3525 posts Member
edited November 2018
For me, there are many. But two stand out.

"For Want of a Nail

For want of a nail the shoe was lost. For want of a shoe the horse was lost. For want of a horse the rider was lost. For want of a rider the message was lost. For want of a message the battle was lost. For want of a battle the kingdom was lost. And all for the want of a horseshoe nail."

It reminds me to be aware of the little details, they can trip you up every time in my profession (Programmer/Designer).

For me personally..

Bruce Lee “You must be shapeless, formless, like water. When you pour water in a cup, it becomes the cup. When you pour water in a bottle, it becomes the bottle. When you pour water in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Water can drip and it can crash. Become like water my friend.”

To me it means be flexible, being rigid will cause more problems than it solves.

And

Confucius “Walking among three people, I find my teacher among them. I choose that which is good in them and follow it, and that which is bad and change it.”

To paraphrase, it means to me "Everyone is my teacher, in that I may learn from them" Be observant.
What words do you try to live by?
Post edited by DuneSeaFarmer on

Replies

• For me, there are many. But two stand out.

"For Want of a Nail For want of a nail the shoe was lost. For want of a shoe the horse was lost. For want of a horse the rider was lost. For want of a rider the message was lost. For want of a message the battle was lost. For want of a battle the kingdom was lost. And all for the want of a horseshoe nail."

It reminds me to be aware of the little details, they can trip you up every time in my profession (Programmer/Designer).

For me personally..

Bruce Lee “You must be shapeless, formless, like water. When you pour water in a cup, it becomes the cup. When you pour water in a bottle, it becomes the bottle. When you pour water in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Water can drip and it can crash. Become like water my friend.”

To me it means be flexible, being rigid will cause more problems them it solves.

And

Confucius “Walking among three people, I find my teacher among them. I choose that which is good in them and follow it, and that which is bad and change it.”

To paraphrase, it means to me "Everyone is my teacher, in that I may learn from them" Be observant.

Always loved that bruce lee quote. I can picture him saying it. Adaptability is key to so much in life. At the same time you don't have to give in or be a pushover, hence "water can crash"... Anyway that's what I get out of it.
  • And for my favorite I'd have to pick "do unto others..." I know it's like rooting for the yankees, but honestly it can't be beat :)
  • CCyrilS wrote: »
    For me, there are many. But two stand out.

"For Want of a Nail For want of a nail the shoe was lost. For want of a shoe the horse was lost. For want of a horse the rider was lost. For want of a rider the message was lost. For want of a message the battle was lost. For want of a battle the kingdom was lost. And all for the want of a horseshoe nail."

For me personally..

To me it means be flexible, being rigid will cause more problems them it solves.

And

Always loved that bruce lee quote. I can picture him saying it. Adaptability is key to so much in life. At the same time you don't have to give in or be a pushover, hence "water can crash"... Anyway that's what I get out of it.

He wore a medallion, on it was written "Form without form". Bruce was one of my childhood heroes.
  • These two:

"Good things happen when people make them happen."

And

"Situations change when people change."
  • "Life's a garden, dig it" Joe Dirt
  • For the want of a nail is my fave Todd Rundgren song.

Not sure of the author, but this one made me laugh. "Not my circus, not my monkeys."
    Make Bronzium autoplay opening an option.
  • In the TV show Baretta (70's) he had a great saying "This ain't Oz and I ain't the Wizard"
  • DuneSeaFarmer
    3525 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    For the want of a nail is my fave Todd Rundgren song.

Not sure of the author, but this one made me laugh. "Not my circus, not my monkeys."

Quick Goggle search credits Ben Franklin with the quote..

but my first exposure to it was here..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6avCeoDqXSs
  • DuneSeaFarmer
    3525 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    bxo79vt9a6tn.png

"Amazing, every word you just said was wrong" lol

Another great comment by Bruce Lee "What is the best way to avoid a punch? Don't be there when it is thrown".
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    3qur1z3q94io.jpg
  • Stay true,
    that’s it, tattooed on my chest over my heart...
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    "Well, which final revolution do you want then? There isn't a final one."

Zamyatin

It reminds me revolution is perpetual and not a place to reach.
  • There are some really good quotes in here, thank you for starting this thread.

One of my favorite quotes is from Jayne from Firefly (I think): "If you can't do something smart, do something right". Regardless of its source, I think it's a good one.

My personal rules:

1. Don't obey stupid rules - because many rules are only illusionary walls that other people will try to erect around you, to limit you
    2. Care - because if you don't care about what you're doing you're wasting your time and probably doing a lousy job at it
    3. Know what matters - don't waste your time on what doesn't matter
    4. Do the work - because there is much to be done and it won't do itself
    5. Push the limits - because it's absurd to believe we've come as far as we ever will
  • DuneSeaFarmer
    3525 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    +1000 For the Firefly reference. Joss Whedon has a way with words.

• DuneSeaFarmer
    3525 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    dona nobis pacem Latin for Give us peace
  • The shortest distance between two points is a straight line.

Do good and good will come.

Not direct quotes just how I feel about about living my life. Kinda like karma, what goes around comes around. And I try to live by the boy scout oath as well
  • @haysswa1 Very true.. Karma is nothing to mess with
  • This is one of my favorites- "Be humble or be humbled."

A reminder that no one is infallible. That being cocky is a good way to make oneself look foolish.
  • "Never take life too seriously, you won't get out of it alive". My family would nod in agreement of how this fits me. On the face of it, I appear to take nothing too seriously. But in my defense, being told to de-stress my life or buy a coffin (10 years of 12 hour work days, 6 days a week) helps so... there's that.
  • "Never take life too seriously, you won't get out of it alive". My family would nod in agreement of how this fits me. On the face of it, I appear to take nothing too seriously. But in my defense, being told to de-stress my life or buy a coffin (10 years of 12 hour work days, 6 days a week) helps so... there's that.

I was told something very similar. I have learned to "hold on loosely", which to me means that you have to be willing to allow what you learn to change how you understand and interact with the world around you. If you "cling too tightly", you will fail to learn and grow as a person - sorry if that puts the song in your head :smile:
  • DuneSeaFarmer
    3525 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    Zzyymm wrote: »
    "Never take life too seriously, you won't get out of it alive". My family would nod in agreement of how this fits me. On the face of it, I appear to take nothing too seriously. But in my defense, being told to de-stress my life or buy a coffin (10 years of 12 hour work days, 6 days a week) helps so... there's that.

I was told something very similar. I have learned to "hold on loosely", which to me means that you have to be willing to allow what you learn to change how you understand and interact with the world around you. If you "cling too tightly", you will fail to learn and grow as a person - sorry if that puts the song in your head :smile:

I tend to see the humor in things, and finally came to a point where you realize so many things are just not important. But to be fair, that realization comes to most of us with age. Time has a way of putting things in perspective, and focus. Once I would constantly be in motion, now I love nothing more than sitting with my 10 old cousin that lives with us, seeing life through her eyes is a gift.i have watched her grow from 2 years old to now 10 in Feb. Children are our greatest resource, I do wonder what kind of world we have left them. I hope they do better than we did.
  • I have come to the very same conclusion and devote much of my time to my daughter for the same reason.

In a very real way, I think the purpose of life is to make things at least a little better, to make the world a little better for those that come after us. It sounds like you're doing exactly that.

Strive on my friend.
  • This is from long ago, but anyone deciding if work is more important then family, well read on..

"I've long since retired, my son has moved away. Called him up just the other day, I said "I'd like to see you if you don't mind..". He said "I'd love to Dad if I could find the time. You see the new jobs a hassle and the kids have the flu, but it's sure nice talking to you Dad, it's sure nice talking to you.." And as I hung up the phone it occurred to me, he'd grown up just like me, my Boy was just like me. And the Cat's in the cradle with the silver spoon, little boy blue and the man in the moon, when you coming home son? I don't know when, but we'll get then Dad, you know we'll have a good time then..." Harry Chapin "Cat's in the Cradle."
  • DuneSeaFarmer
    3525 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    Meme I made myself and eventually shared with friends. One of the most powerful exchanges in LOTR imho. 733juvsfzjpi.png

• "Do it." -Sheev Palpatine
  • Gorem
    1190 posts Member
    Learn by doing.

Loyalty is life, patience is key.
  • "Things turn out best for the people who make the best out of the way things turn out."

- John Wooden

Another perspective on the stay flexible principle.
  • "Things turn out best for the people who make the best out of the way things turn out."

- John Wooden

Another perspective on the stay flexible principle.

I like that :)