Grand Arena Megathread

Replies

• Ultra
    11452 posts Moderator
    Amoliski wrote: »
    People who dislike this are people who are annoyed with a game mode that is two days of work (and coordinating fifty people for officers) to reach a decision that is decided 0.2 seconds after the join phase ends and the matchmaker kicks in. You are matched with a guild that you will either walk all over or get absolutely destroyed by with absolutely no chance of winning. I think there's been maybe one or two actually close TWs since we started..
    Crumbs just stated that they are redoing the TW matchmaking algorithm to make it better

• Acymetric wrote: »
    JaggedJ wrote: »
    Cool concept for those who are interested.

Aslong as there's an option to auto set or just ignore it completely I'm fine with it. I barely do my two battles a day to finish my daily activities. Can't imagine this is going to draw me in.

Can I ask what part of the game you actually play/enjoy?

I play all of it as time allows. I rarely do my full 5 arenas and only ever sim 1 ship per day to meet daily requirements.

I enjoy TW, TB, Character collecting/gearing, Raids (even if Sith isn't great it's tolerable) interacting with guild etc.

Arena/ships I'm not fussed on at all.

For the most part I enjoy the team side of the game, but arena is just meh for me.
  • Ultra wrote: »
    Amoliski wrote: »
    People who dislike this are people who are annoyed with a game mode that is two days of work (and coordinating fifty people for officers) to reach a decision that is decided 0.2 seconds after the join phase ends and the matchmaker kicks in. You are matched with a guild that you will either walk all over or get absolutely destroyed by with absolutely no chance of winning. I think there's been maybe one or two actually close TWs since we started..
    Crumbs just stated that they are redoing the TW matchmaking algorithm to make it better

OMG so excited much adrenaline such hope.
    Not.
  • @CG_SBCrumb since you guys say its like a mini TW, are we going to be able to use ships? My GP is pretty inflated due to my ship love
  • We have been asking for years to get a 1v1 arena where we can match up against our guild mates or allies for FUN (no rewards)… instead we get another matchmade offense vs defense TW clone 1 v 1 battle that will be semi required to do or else we miss out on the rewards, even if it was 100 social currency reward we would feel obligated since you've gotten so stingy with it. I am sorry but are you guys listening to the player base or just adding what ever random ideas you come up with? The original Tournaments were terrible and I expect this to be a bit better but basically nearly as terrible.

I'm sorry for the negative post but the current TW matchmaking is one of the biggest complaint threads in the forum, so you double down on it? My guild has won over 40 TWs but I still don't think we are fairly matched and honestly feel bad for our opponents. Now with this system even if I win, that means 7 other players didn't. In what world where 87.5% of the players are loosing be considered a fun game mode?
  • Will you make exclusiv content?

Because for now nothing is, in the end, only for whale. Even hsr or TB top spot can be gain by F2P with time.
    In arena/TW only the quantity of reward change.

But let's be clear. Arena is the most whale's area of this game (for now).
    So this "Grand Arena" will only be lead by Whale. And this is not something that F2P can get with time.

So for the first time, will you create an whale's exclusiv content?
  • Two questions:

1) How are you going to stop cheating? If this doesn’t come with some cheating counter then it’s worthless. Let us see defensive battles or show some sort of log or something.

2) Is this mode in addition to TW/TB and everything else, or a replacement? A huge portion of your playerbase is stretched to their limit with things to get done. I don’t know how much more some of us can take before we just move on.
  • Ultra
    11452 posts Moderator
    Two questions:

1) How are you going to stop cheating? If this doesn’t come with some cheating counter then it’s worthless. Let us see defensive battles or show some sort of log or something.
    Yes!

Can we have some logs about what team was used and how long the battle lasted and stuff like that for Grand Arena, and TW?

• Sentia wrote: »
    We have been asking for years to get a 1v1 arena where we can match up against our guild mates or allies for FUN (no rewards)… instead we get another matchmade offense vs defense TW clone 1 v 1 battle that will be semi required to do or else we miss out on the rewards, even if it was 100 social currency reward we would feel obligated since you've gotten so stingy with it. I am sorry but are you guys listening to the player base or just adding what ever random ideas you come up with? The original Tournaments were terrible and I expect this to be a bit better but basically nearly as terrible.

I'm sorry for the negative post but the current TW matchmaking is one of the biggest complaint threads in the forum, so you double down on it? My guild has won over 40 TWs but I still don't think we are fairly matched and honestly feel bad for our opponents. Now with this system even if I win, that means 7 other players didn't. In what world where 87.5% of the players are loosing be considered a fun game mode?

At the end of each grand arena there will be one person with 3 wins, 3 people with 2 wins, 3 people with 1 win and one person with no wins. So rewards would probably be tiered for that.
  • Any hints how many squads we’ll be fielding? One of my favorite parts of TW, when it first launched, was being in a low GP guild, and getting to eke our wins with squads I’d never used before and never thought about using. I’m in a much more organized guild now, which is great in some ways, but I do miss trying to build viable squads with CUP and Mob Enforcer.
    I demand Grand Arena Elo ratings.
  • orik007
    6 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    When i saw new arena i did hope for live pvp arena. That will show the best player, if you can fight live with other player, not lousy AI.

Something like, server notices both players are online, ready check, fight.
    Do the tournaments, or seasons, etc.

And ofc, matchmaking algorithm shall be much better then in TW.
  • I am really excited fot this game mode, I love TW even if the match making stinks. Our guild regularly beats higher gp guild because we build smart rosters.
    This game mode need to reward higher brackets higher rewards to curb out those that like to sandbag.
  • Matching by GP will have a significant bias in favor of those with recent spending on the latest and greatest vs. long term collectors. Some will like that, others will be upset.

There are others who just don't like PVP in general and don't want to feel forced into spending more time on it.

My guess is that more players will have a negative experience than positive, but that CG won't care if it generates revenue. ... which is not exactly news.
  • Vombatidae wrote: »
    Matching by GP will have a significant bias in favor of those with recent spending on the latest and greatest vs. long term collectors. Some will like that, others will be upset.

There are others who just don't like PVP in general and don't want to feel forced into spending more time on it.

My guess is that more players will have a negative experience than positive, but that CG won't care if it generates revenue. ... which is not exactly news.

Of course. Whales competing versus whales will drive whales to...well....whale.

This game mode won't be for everyone. While I'm not enthused right now I'll wait to see what it is before making a final judgement.
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    I dont see any time sink involved in this at all... guy with my GP will put a traya team in one area a revan in the other and my 150 toons will be 100% WORTHLESS because they cannot beat that in 100’s of trys....

So 0 time wasted as a time sink so not sure why ppl saying it takes time.... seems pointless for me but i sincerly hope person beating me enjoys rewards
  • Ultra
    11452 posts Moderator
    Dk_rek wrote: »
    I dont see any time sink involved in this at all... guy with my GP will put a traya team in one area a revan in the other and my 150 toons will be 100% WORTHLESS because they cannot beat that in 100’s of trys....

So 0 time wasted as a time sink so not sure why ppl saying it takes time.... seems pointless for me but i sincerly hope person beating me enjoys rewards
    You can give up without trying but there are counters to Revan and Traya teams that doesn't involve another Revan / Jedi team or a Traya team.

Anyone that tries to help out the guild by building effective TW teams would do good in this mode, and it should encourage the lazy members to step up and contribute to the guild
  • Kokie
    1338 posts Member
    This is a great new feature....tw has always been a favorite part of the game for me and now it has gotten better. Great work cg and an awesome road ahead overall
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    Ultra wrote: »
    Dk_rek wrote: »

You can give up without trying but there are counters to Revan and Traya teams that doesn't involve another Revan / Jedi team or a Traya team.

Anyone that tries to help out the guild by building effective TW teams would do good in this mode, and it should encourage the lazy members to step up and contribute to the guild

I love people like you who think we have not put in hours and refrshes and theoty crafting and instead just said screw it im not trying...

Keep poastin bra

Like i sAid before no time sink involved whatsoever.... i do believe 20% of the playerbase will get a ton of joy out of it.... (believe it or not thats not bad )
  • Why do people complain about time?
    Its down to you how much time you spend playing.
    If people want they should be able to play 24/7.

In any game people gain advantage if they spend more time playing that is their choice. The counter to that is $

Because some of us (most of us participating on the forums probably) are competitive, and this is a game with timers that prohibit us from progressing past a set speed without spending. That cap is a draw for many us because it allows us to compete at the highest level without the time requirements of many console style games that we can’t keep up with.

People are going to always be playing at that capped speed. Not doing a game mode puts us at a disadvantage at every other aspect of the game. So you can’t just say don’t do ships if you don’t like ships. It will hurt you in arena or TW or raids or wherever.
  • Grand Arena will just be about “who has the best mods”.

Fix mods and yes, Grand Arena might be decent w/o it always being about speed, speed, moooarrr speed.
  • JediRobb wrote: »
    I’m constantly shocked how many people seem to play daily and hate every minute of it.

In all seriousness, because we love Star Wars and are addicted, and there are no other good Star Wars games to turn to.
  • Grand Arena will just be about “who has the best mods”.

Fix mods and yes, Grand Arena might be decent w/o it always being about speed, speed, moooarrr speed.

No joke. This is why I’ve gotten into ships more recently. Secondary mods are irrelevant.
  • Klocko
    1017 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    Not looking forward to Grand Arena in the least. I barely manage to get 2 arena battles in per day now. Sad to see it go and I've been playing since launch day, but if rewards are substantial, this may be my exit from the game.

Edit: with a 24 window to do stuff, maybe not.
  • Fahrius
    620 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    Tynnribbe wrote: »
    Don’t like the initial sound of it — sounds like the Grand Whale Arena. But only time will tell.

Why? You meet people on same GP...

what part of "gp means nothing" haven't you learnt yet? you could be a f2p player with all toons activated just to help on tb or just to be a completionist and have 3million gp and just a bunch of g12 teams, while a whale can have just more g12 teams without activating anything else and having the same exact gp... he is going to crush you, plain and simple.
    https://swgoh.gg/u/fahrius/ - Discord - Fahrius#1194
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    JediRobb wrote: »
    . I can’t imagine anyone is forced to play this game, and I’m constantly shocked how many people seem to play daily and hate every minute of it.

What you said is true but if you liked some part of game invested $$$ in it or just F2p’d and then they ruined it later you can imagine why ppl moan... your right about the dont play part... i imagine a lot wont....

Its a win win... we dont waste our time and mass aggravation at having 150 toons that cant win one battle. The whales or ftp in great guilds will get the good rewards and not waste time getting them cause there wont be any defenses

Except for missing out on some rewards for forfiet everyone wins. Im all for new game mode long as some people get to be happy :)
  • this grand arena sounds like a bad idea imo. there is so much more that should be done before adding something like this.

new tw environments would be nice. there have been lots of good ideas from the players but i havent heard anyone say they want another ai based arena mode.

hopefully the next road ahead actually has something in it that players can look forward to and something they asked for instead of bad ideas from the the business suits who dont play the game
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    Fahrius wrote: »
    Tynnribbe wrote: »
    Don’t like the initial sound of it — sounds like the Grand Whale Arena. But only time will tell.

Why? You meet people on same GP...

what part of "gp means nothing" haven't you learnt yet? you could be a f2p player with all toons activated just to help on tb or just to be a completionist and have 3million gp and just a bunch of g12 teams, while a whale can have just more g12 teams without activating anything else and having the same exact gp... he is going to crush you, plain and simple.

This.... its not hard.... i dont have a problem with it... give whales something to decimate people and laugh when ppl like me cant win one battle pad their ego pad CG funding. but the return is they keep spending like sheep and maybe someday they will fund a ship raid everyone wins..... except the people farius was talking about..