Grand Arena Megathread

Replies

• Two questions
    1, Nearly half of my GP is ships, if ships aren't included will I only be matched up against people with similar GP of characters only?

2, People build out there rosters in a multitude of diverse ways, some go for all g11 and some go for 40 G12 maxed out characters. Some go for full TW rosters and some go for full TB rosters. My question is why am I not getting any cookies for going on 5k donations and going 4/4 in all phases of DSTB. Nice guys finish last! xD

The second question isn't a question just me being silly :cookie:
    if u invest in ships the right way not collecting u should have top fleet rank someone without won’t gives u a advantage with zetas they won’t have just toons also lack crystal rewards it evens out then

• 2smooth wrote: »
    Two questions
    1, Nearly half of my GP is ships, if ships aren't included will I only be matched up against people with similar GP of characters only?

2, People build out there rosters in a multitude of diverse ways, some go for all g11 and some go for 40 G12 maxed out characters. Some go for full TW rosters and some go for full TB rosters. My question is why am I not getting any cookies for going on 5k donations and going 4/4 in all phases of DSTB. Nice guys finish last! xD

The second question isn't a question just me being silly :cookie:
    if u invest in ships the right way not collecting u should have top fleet rank someone without won’t gives u a advantage with zetas they won’t have just toons also lack crystal rewards it evens out then

Agree especially if you went all out on ships you should have a few more zetas over the whale who did not care about ships except that top fleet rank was before they released Marquee ships... People with no interest in ships whaled HT and Xanadu..dropped some prestige on tarkin and now they rule the shards...that will give em a chance to even it up a little as there are still a bunch of worthless zetas out there....they only have to catch up on the good ones

Sure over time you can catch up but then the next marquee OP will drop...you can hold top 20 probably but top 5 or so might not be actually possible to win for some depends how serious the whales in the shard are..

I never hit a situation where you could not win in ships no matter what you ran... the maxxed marquees, the maxxed G12+ the 6* mods it's totally feasble to have a whale sit in first and not be able to be defeated except by the other 3-4 whales...

It is what it is...the good thing is only real serious whales would dump 600-900 on ships to be god for a few months.... I can catch up on the ship farming at some point but the G12 and 6* mods could be an issue...

you may not think its a lot but ONE single speed point from the G12 or 6* mods can actually determine a lot of matches these days....

• I am cautiously optimistic that GP binning plus ELO matching will result in better matchmaking than TW currently has. I sure hope this includes ships. I'm only semi-competitive in squad arena but I do pretty well in ships. Ships are too underutilized as it is, so this mode could be a good way to get more mileage out of them.
  • I wish they'd just replace the current TW with this. I'm tired of teammates with 3M+ GP who contribute next to nothing in our TWs. I'd rather go it alone, or band together with a few all-stars.
  • Gorem
    1190 posts Member
    DRD1812 wrote: »
    I am cautiously optimistic that GP binning plus ELO matching will result in better matchmaking than TW currently has. I sure hope this includes ships. I'm only semi-competitive in squad arena but I do pretty well in ships. Ships are too underutilized as it is, so this mode could be a good way to get more mileage out of them.

If ships are included, I'd love to know how they are included, how to use just 4 capitals in ships? It feels like we need more capitals for ship based combat.

2 on defence, 2 to attack with?
  • If the matchmaking for Grand Arena is anything close to what the matchmaking for TW is then it will be an epic fail. Total GP doesn't tell the story as there are players out there with inflated GPs that you could bend over backwards with a much lower GP roster. That's what is going to make or break Grand Arena. If they get the matchmaking right I'll concede good job. But after months and months of complaints and reports for TW I am not going to hold my breath on this part of the road ahead...
    SWGOH Guild: Peace Is A Lie SWGOH Profile: Boofpoof Discord: Buffpuff#3065
  • [Please don't merge this]

I have just realised that Grand Arena would benefit those with "skewed" rosters; in other words, those with many G12/G12+, but little or no G7/8s.

An example: I have 39 G12, 10G11, 3 G10 etc. I have a GP of 2.5M.

My G12 roster allows me to field the following teams:

Ewoks @ zChirpa (L)/EE/zWicket/zLogray/zPaploo

R1 @ zzJyn (L)/zCassian/zK2/Chirrut/Baze

Rebels @ zzCLS (L)/zROLO/CHS/zHan/zzR2

Triumvirate @ zzTraya (L)/zDN/zSion/zThrawn/zEnfys

Phoenix @ zHera(L)/zKanan/zSabine/zZeb/Chopper

FO @ zzKRU(L)/zFOST/FOO/FOSFTP/FOX

Revan @zzRevan(L)/zEzra/zBastila or GK/Yoda/zJolee

This is relatively disproportionate for my GP (1.6M for characters), so the reverse of what made high-GP players successful in TB would make one successful in Grand Arena (low number of half-geared characters, large number of G12+).

here's my swgoh.gg: https://swgoh.gg/p/463531782/

• You're a little late to the party. There are pages in the mega thread discussing this and a whole thread dedicated to exploring different roster stats and GP makeups here: https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/187278/post-your-roster-stats-for-grand-arena#
  • *cough* subtle brag *cough*
  • why does everyone care about the matchmaking?
    i think it doesn't matter cause the whales and cheaters will take everything... f2p will have no chance.
    but we will see, maybe (hopefully) i'm wrong. overall it's a nice thing/good idea.

but i would be happier with a personal raid, like the last tier of the revan event... or a new capital ship.... or a bug free game.

overall, thanks dev for your effort to do this game "better" 👍
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    why does everyone care about the matchmaking?
    i think it doesn't matter cause the whales and cheaters will take everything... f2p will have no chance.
    but we will see, maybe (hopefully) i'm wrong. overall it's a nice thing/good idea.

but i would be happier with a personal raid, like the last tier of the revan event... or a new capital ship.... or a bug free game.

overall, thanks dev for your effort to do this game "better" 👍

Why would whales take everything? This is the exact reason we are discussing matchmaking.
  • The game is designed to foster spending. Pay to Win, whatever you want to call it. No real skill is needed to be #1. Just watch the leaderboards, buy the latest and greatest, viola! You are in the top rankings. Next talk to your shard mates, make backroom deals, and you can stay there until the wife finds your credit card statement, and threatens divorce.

• No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    The game is designed to foster spending. Pay to Win, whatever you want to call it. No real skill is needed to be #1. Just watch the leaderboards, buy the latest and greatest, viola! You are in the top rankings. Next talk to your shard mates, make backroom deals, and you can stay there until the wife finds your credit card statement, and threatens divorce.

And how is that related to GA?
  • No_Try wrote: »
    The game is designed to foster spending. Pay to Win, whatever you want to call it. No real skill is needed to be #1. Just watch the leaderboards, buy the latest and greatest, viola! You are in the top rankings. Next talk to your shard mates, make backroom deals, and you can stay there until the wife finds your credit card statement, and threatens divorce.

And how is that related to GA?

Stay tuned...
  • Degs29 wrote: »
    I wish they'd just replace the current TW with this. I'm tired of teammates with 3M+ GP who contribute next to nothing in our TWs. I'd rather go it alone, or band together with a few all-stars.

Sometimes, TW reminds me of "group projects" when I was in school....

h49FC5C21
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Love the concept, but it's success will be down to the opponents algorithm..
    The event we want is to be able to battle fellow guild members .
  • sounds intresting I hope the reward system is similar to TW where you win lose verry little over the competition. When talking a GP of 4.5+ matchup it will be very hard to keep up with the top brass of the game in the world, losing over and over in such a mode can put you at a huge disadvantage. What I would like to see is a world arena where everyone keeps their PO times but compeats across all servers with number 1 getting 10k crystals, number 2 getting 5k and then scaling it down, now that would be something worth the fight, tho you would probably constantly sstart at 5k place on avg
  • VEGASPORTS_DISRUPT
    3 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    They also mentioned a 1:1 PvP to battle people outside of your shard, hopefully this means that we can actually battle our allies, or maybe we can see a real time PvP option for this as it's a small, part of the game, in comparison to Grand Arena, TB, TW, etc.
  • I'm surprised by how many negative comments are on here. I for one am super duper uber excited for this game mode! Daily arena is getting soooo stale and this is going to take it to the next level. Thank you so much for implementing this type of competition for us TW fanatics :)

My feedback is that the scaling effect is going to be crucial in whether this design fails or succeeds. Meaning, getting the balance correct for how many teams everyone has to place on defense (and also having enough teams for offense). I can only speak to my account, which is 3,750,000 GP, and I would feel comfortable placing a full TW map as is. Hopefully it's a different layout, but if we're only placing 4 teams on defense, everyone is going to full clear all the time and that's less fun. If it's deeper requirements, then the player has to decide on going all out on defense or maybe setting some lower level squads as filler to save enough for offense.

My recommendation is to analyze each GP bracket and pull the # of G11 and G12 toons. I have 80 of those, which would equate to 8 teams on defense and 8 teams on offense. Another analytic tool I'd suggest is to look at the # of toons above 15,000 power. This is the cutoff I see for viability of toons in the current TW environment. I think if you pulled those stats, you will be able to balance the # of teams to set for each bracket.
  • TVF
    36489 posts Member
    I'm surprised by how many negative comments are on here.

If you're surprised by this, you're new.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Everyone and there brother is suggesting not to gear up toons because it will screw up grand arena match making. So.... we have to not gear toons to be competitive?
  • TVF
    36489 posts Member
    Grimstoned wrote: »
    Everyone and there brother is suggesting not to gear up toons because it will screw up grand arena match making. So.... we have to not gear toons to be competitive?

Are you everyone? And your own brother?

First I've heard of this.
  • TVF wrote: »
    Everyone and there brother is suggesting not to gear up toons because it will screw up grand arena match making. So.... we have to not gear toons to be competitive?

Are you everyone? And your own brother?

First I've heard of this.
    Congratulations on hearing it.
  • TVF
    36489 posts Member
    Well ok, time to move on. Good luck in your matches.
  • Should Swgoh players sandbag? As in should we not level and gear our characters in order to be successful in future content.
  • Grimstoned wrote: »
    Should Swgoh players sandbag? As in should we not level and gear our characters in order to be successful in future content.

That is the most ridiculous thing I have seen lately.

If you want to be good in all aspects, you need to develop your roster. If you do not develop your roster, you will perform poorly in the end. There is zero benefit to shortchanging your roster.
  • Grimstoned
    250 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    Should Swgoh players sandbag? As in should we not level and gear our characters in order to be successful in future content.

If you want to be good in all aspects, you need to develop your roster. If you do not develop your roster, you will perform poorly in the end. There is zero benefit to shortchanging your roster.

You are supremely confident. But I feel like you don’t understand what I am asking or how this game works. You are out of your element maybe. But that is not for me to say. Good luck 👍 you do you.
  • Grimstoned wrote: »

You are supremely confident. But I feel like you don’t understand what I am asking or how this game works. You are out of your element maybe. But that is not for me to say. Good luck 👍 you do you.

Oh I understand , and I will politely tell you that you are in your own words, out of your element.

Carry on shortchanging your roster, and have fun with that.

If people would read, matches are based on gp and win loss records, so, lose a few matches, you are paired with players that also have lost a few matches, ,

Proposing to halt roster development to try save a couple thousand GP points in a attempt to be paired to a player that has a tiny bit less GP is , well, you only harm yourself there so enjoy and go hard.