Cheater & hacker update 11/18

Replies

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Let's stay more in topic. We don't need to make personal attacks or argue about anyone's personal moral position.
  • Saladius wrote: »
    If speed limit is 40 miles per hour and you get caugh at 42, are you a cheater or not?

I live in California and any time I drive through Oregon I set the cruise control to the exact speed limit because, yeah, going 42 in a 40 (or, rather, 67 in a 65 as the case may be) is cheating and you'll be pulled over if they see California plates because they assume if you're a Californian you're a tech bro so you've got the money for a ticket. Plus you're too far away to come up and fight the ticket in person, so you're a prime target.

If I weren't white, I practically guarantee that I'd be pulled over even if I was going the exact posted speed limit.

The point I'm trying to make is that actually ,yeah, going 42 in a 40 is cheating and you'll probably get away with it--we all do it, after all--but your example doesn't bear out as well as you want it to.

I'd also say that the next time you buy something that was imported from America, scan the back for something that says "MSRP." That means "Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price" and it's printed on the back of a lot of things like CDs, DVDs, books, and so on--but not all of them, so you may not be able to find it. Anyway, that MSRP is the price that the manufacturer (in this case CG and EA) say that the customer should pay. The actual price you pay, however, is determined by the store you're purchasing from (in this case iTunes or Google Play or whatever local thing you have).

That is to say that if you're in France and are paying a higher price, it's not EA or CG's fault. You're paying a Value Added Tax and a conversion fee. There's nothing can be done about the fee, but you should be happy for the VAT--how do you expect to pay for all the services your government provides? (NOTE: Americans reading this will probably think that's meant as a joke, but it's not. I'll HAPPILY go into it if you want, but I'm not getting banned again by going on a tangent....)
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • If your not in a shard chat and your upset its not their fault. Most chats are pretty reasonable and simply work to avoid people hitting others during certain times. Some smaller chats may block others but what's wrong with that it could happen without a chat I used to stall out to hold positions before I got into mine. Seems most not in one are hurt they didnt get the terms they wanted not that they didnt get in.
  • Great News !
    Thank you :)
  • Saladius wrote: »
    Saladius wrote: »
    @Saladius there’s a huge difference between paying marginally less because of something outwith your control (exchange rates, global economy) and paying markedly less because someone is offering a deal that violates TOS.

It’s laughable reading the comments of a handful of users who are equating buying crystals from 3rd party vendors to being involved in an organised payout discussion group. It is absolutely simple: one of those activities is in breach of TOS, the other isn’t. Therefore one is cheating and the other isn’t.

What is the limit of marginally less ?
    Euro is already stronger than US dollar and has always been. This is clearly an unfair pricing set up by EA. Nothing more. And now they blame people who seeks better prices ? lol

If speed limit is 40 miles per hour and you get caugh at 42, are you a cheater or not?

Anyway no one replied on the part where EA/cg never warned about organised crime behind these discounts.
    Funny, especially after a biiiig marquee year

And EA don’t need to warn people - it was stated in the Terms of Service that every single one of us agreed to when we started playing the game: buying crystals from third party vendors was against the rules.

I’m talking about preventing people from supporting organised crime who is acting on your game.

EA has its responsibility here cause organised crime is operating through its game.

They act now by banning people. That should lower drastically it.
    But they could also have reduced it earlier just by warning the community.
    I’m pretty sure lot of people who did this didn’t know about organised crime behind this (I understand cause I was surprised too), and lot of them wouldn’t have done it if they knew about it. That’s all.

I love how people say EA/CG should warn people. Folks, most people are adults here and should always try to live their life with integrity. Integrity is what you do when no one is looking. Unfortunately, way too many people think they get lost on the internet and no one knows what you are doing. This philosophy always works real well right up until it bites you on your nether regions. Not trying to sound moralistic, but for everything you do in life, there are consequences. If you are going to try and skirt things you better be prepared to pay the price just in case you are wrong and fate rears her ugly head.
    Never tell me the odds...
  • Gorem
    1190 posts Member
    Kyno wrote: »
    Let's stay more in topic. We don't need to make personal attacks or argue about anyone's personal moral position.

I wish, I mean there is people here who seem to be just randomly grabbing other old posts just to reply about how they are in the right due to how they morally feel, and the reply is like an entire page. Be good if that could stop and we just focus on how awesome LD is and how great it is that this stuff is getting fixed finally in perfect timing for Grand arena to hopefully have a good launch :)

• How do you report a cheater? In my guild (Hunting pack their 6) one person wins the raid on the first day with one set of characters both the Sith and Rancor. I have screen shoots if you would like them.
  • NicWester wrote: »
    NicWester wrote: »
    A third party finds a way to create in game currency at a discounted rate to transfer to players in game. These same players more then likely would have spent the money anyways in game to get the edge over those that try and work their way up the hard way. I guess I could understand if maybe this was not a pay to play model. I have been in games where gold farmers were rampant via 3rd party and as others have mentioned used the auction house to complete transactions.
    This isn't like gold farming, though. In WoW, and other MMOs, you gain gold by fighting mobs and selling items. You can send that gold through the in-game mail to the buyer. It's all supported in the game.

The only way to get crystals (other than the freebies you earn, which are still non-transferrable) is to buy them with real money. They're then deposited into your account and are non-transferrable. So how do these folks get discounted crystals?

As LD said, you pay the hacker and give them your account information, then they log into your game and buy the crystals for you using a stolen credit card, then log out. That's not just a violation of the terms of service, that's flat out illegal. Knowing that, how can anyone defend it?
    Also confused on the hacking here. What was hacked and how was the hacking advantageous? Yes you are not suppose to sell your account but that is not hacking. I guess I need clarification on this one.
    They've been using hacking aps to make their attacking teams unkillable, to instantly defeat defending teams, to clone mods, etc.

In many other MMOs about 10 years their were numerous 3rd parties that would advertise outside and inside the game to sell gold at a discounted price. The same method was used in the beginning by allowing someone else access to you account, they would log in, and you would have gold..

Oh, okay, well gee I guess that makes it all better, doesn't it? In many other MMOs a whole decade ago, crime was rampant so we've got to accept it now. Are you even listening to yourself? What is your defect?

Did someone not share a ball with you in the sand box or do you like to follow people around and stalk them?

I have not once supported anything you seem to be upset about. I answered a response with some historical information and you now seem to be upset and have taken anything(actually only parts that fit your narrative) and made assumptions that clearly had nothing to do with what I posted.

This forums are a place for people to discuss and/share not be harassed because you disagree.
  • How do you report a cheater? In my guild (Hunting pack their 6) one person wins the raid on the first day with one set of characters both the Sith and Rancor. I have screen shoots if you would like them.

You report them directly to whom setup this topic. He's the fly catcher guy around here.
  • 3pourr2 wrote: »
    Boov wrote: »
    @cg_lucifersdaddy

i use a tapping app to spend my ally points on bronzium packs. its just such a pain to do by hand and bronzium packs do yield nice stuff. i hope that wouldnt get somehow flagged as third party app use. What is your policy regarding that? Am I at risk?

kind regards,

a really long time player

Realistically speaking, they've already noticed an abnormal activity on your account, flagged you, investigated, and already moved on. They don't just look at what you're doing and whether it breaks the rules, they look at whether the rule that's being broken is harming the game. Using a third party to buy crystals (which are probably a scam--see LD's previous posts) harms the game because the people breaking the rules are gaining an advantage over the people who aren't. The people using third party aps to instakill or get infinite health in arena are CLEARLY harming the game.

Using a tap ap to open bronziums isn't hurting the game--but, from personal experience, why are you still using it? It took me a couple hours to open my packs and spend down to 0 when Tournaments were cancelled and I needed to spend a half a million, but once I was down to 0 it took no time at all to spend back down to 0 at the end of every night since you'd only get maybe 15 total packs :P You've got time to open 15!

How is buying from a third party any different then buying game. Yes I understand the difference between the game making money and someone else but I do not see any player gaining and advantage since anyone playing can do the same thing in game. I right now could drop 50k on the game and would gain an advantage so is that harming the game because I have resources that others do not? These people still have to have money to buy the crystals either in game or 3rd party. They go outside to more for their money and yes it violates the rules but I do not see it harming the community as it really is no different then a whale spending money in game.

For the record I am F2P as I see no value in spending on any portion as the ROI is just not there for what my in game goals are.

My sentiments exactly, it's not hurting the game per se.
    However, it's obviously unfair that some players who are breaking the ToS are getting crystals at a lower price than players who buy their crystals legit though.

Its feeding organized crime and thats not an issue for you? The devs didn’t create this game to fund criminals.

Well, not THOSE criminals
  • Good
  • Hey, can I get all the shards and gear and currency stuff from the banned accounts? :D
  • Don’t slaughter players abruptly. Manage the gaming environment, forbid the vendors, give palyers more warnings would be more considerate.

Its in the agreement to play the game to not buy crystals from third party vendors. I am glad they banned the players without warning. If those cheaters stop buying from third party vendors then those vendors will go out of business.
  • and yes I mean how I justify calling The Carpenters a rock band.

"We've only just begun,
    to ban... slow though the process is...
    We find a few and then more appear..
    and we've only just begun.."

• Madlax wrote: »
    Hey, can I get all the shards and gear and currency stuff from the banned accounts? :D

That's not a bad idea. Kick something down to all the players that didn't get banned to make up for months of being held back by the cheaters.
  • Ban them, and not just the men, but the women, and the children too!
    Guild Leader of CHAL | Member of the WWL Alliance
  • Gorem
    1190 posts Member
    How do you report a cheater? In my guild (Hunting pack their 6) one person wins the raid on the first day with one set of characters both the Sith and Rancor. I have screen shoots if you would like them.

What you do is you send https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/profile/discussions/CG_LucifersDaddy A pm stating your ally code and name and other important information relevant to the case, then post your issues/reasons for suspecting the cheater and anything else that could help, such as your screenshots you have. He has many reports and pm's to get through so it may take some time to response but LD does eventually and they do look into it.
  • Glad this is getting addressed, I came from old school era and the last thing I want to see is my new found love interest getting turned into another Diablo.
  • Boov wrote: »
    I agree, but that's also the reason why i'm not that mad about players buying 3rd party crystals.
    Let me put it this way, who do you think is worse off in this game? a player on a leaderboard with 10 legit, highly competative krakens, or a player on a leaderboard with 3 third party crystal buying, highly competative, not banned whales, everything else is equal.

Legitimate krakens fund server upkeep and maintenance, as well as additional game development. Which means F2Ps benefit greatly from these players. Without them, the game might not be profitable.

• Boov wrote: »
    I agree, but that's also the reason why i'm not that mad about players buying 3rd party crystals.
    Let me put it this way, who do you think is worse off in this game? a player on a leaderboard with 10 legit, highly competative krakens, or a player on a leaderboard with 3 third party crystal buying, highly competative, not banned whales, everything else is equal.

Legitimate krakens fund server upkeep and maintenance, as well as additional game development. Which means F2Ps benefit greatly from these players. Without them, the game might not be profitable.

The point i was trying to make is that I would much rather face less stacked opponenents in arena even if they're "cheating" than face more legitimate stacked players. Because of that i can't really be mad about players buying 3rd party crystals without being a hypocrit. I would have alot of respect for a "competative" player trying to rank high who prefers the more legitimate stacked whales over the fewer fraudulent whales, but i won't instandly believe anyone who says they would on an online forum ;).
    I won't go into the value of krakens for f2p players and the profitability of the freemium model, that's an entirely differnt discussion and not worth having in relation to the topic of crystalfraud. I agree that crystalfraud hurts the bottom line for the developers, indirectly and if widespread enough it would start hurting the playerbase in terms of server upkeep, maintenance and development aswell, lets just leave it at that.
  • Odin_Noah
    230 posts Member
    edited November 2018

If I weren't white, I practically guarantee that I'd be pulled over even if I was going the exact posted speed limit.

Being white helps prevent tickets? Incredible, the liberal mind is so fascinating. And you believe out of state california plates implies that you have money and are a tech guy? Do you watch a lot of CNN?
    Post edited by Odin_Noah on
  • You have the high ground! Great job
  • Shadroth wrote: »
    @CG_LucifersDaddy thanks not only for the actions taken but for taking the time to randomly converse with the player base in this thread. Cheers mate 👍

You kidding? Crumb would hunt me down if I dropped this post and went back to my cave without making sure all is understood.

But really it is my pleasure... I fracking love games and the communities they build. No way am I gonna not take this chance to converse.

LD

Not kidding, just a genuine thank you from me and the community. 👍
  • TAureliusC wrote: »
    I’m surprised that people from some of these mega guilds (no need to state their names, we all know who they are) didn’t get banned. They buy every toon release, and unless their names end in Rockerfeller or Chase, I wonder where all the money comes from.....

I don't get it either. There was a dude in a different thread last week saying he spends $500 a month on this game. I said, "I'd rather pay bills and go on a nice vacation with that 6k a year What do you do for a living?". His response was "I did that too." But never said what he did for a living. After he proceeded to brag about spending money on a VERY expensive camera. So who knows.
  • Vinniarth wrote: »
    Don’t slaughter players abruptly. Manage the gaming environment, forbid the vendors, give palyers more warnings would be more considerate.

Why? There is no need for warning. They already know they are cheaters...

Terms and Agreement ring a bell? Its pretty clear on this subject. Just because people don't read it doesn't mean the rules don't apply to them.
  • exile038 wrote: »
    Vinniarth wrote: »
    Don’t slaughter players abruptly. Manage the gaming environment, forbid the vendors, give palyers more warnings would be more considerate.

Why? There is no need for warning. They already know they are cheaters...

Terms and Agreement ring a bell? Its pretty clear on this subject. Just because people don't read it doesn't mean the rules don't apply to them.

3qw4ro.jpg
    #AcolyteShootsTwice
  • @CG_LucifersDaddy would you all consider removing mods from banned accounts? I understand why you wouldn't want to delete these accounts, but my guess is that mods were the most impacted area of the illegal crystal acquisition. Could mods be removed from all their toons?
  • TAureliusC wrote: »
    I’m surprised that people from some of these mega guilds (no need to state their names, we all know who they are) didn’t get banned. They buy every toon release, and unless their names end in Rockerfeller or Chase, I wonder where all the money comes from.....

There are people with a well-paid STEM job who live alone in a small city apartment, take the bus or subway to work so they don't need a car, and spend all their disposable income on a single hobby. Some collect Star Wars figures made of plastic, others collect the digital equivalent. Helps stimulate the economy and combat overpopulation :)
  • It was the Russians
This discussion has been closed.