Advice for a new guild officer

Hey guys

I am a new guild officer in a 65 mil gp guild. We have made strides over the past year and in the 9ish months I've been in the guild we have jumped close to 35 mil gp. I want to be an asset to the guild and find ways to continue to build on that improvement over the next year. Do any of you long time officers have any advice, tips, tools that could be valuable for a new officer? Thanks for your help!

Replies

• Post instructions on Territory Wars. If you don't, people tend to just hit whatever they can find that's beatable, instead of focusing on taking down as many sectors as possible.

Kick people that haven't logged on in a long time, unless they gave you a heads up. People tend not to leave their guilds before quitting the game, so you end up with a slot occupied by dead weight.

Give people something to work towards so you can make progress in a specific area. Set a goal, like "don't lose more than 2 sectors in Territory War" or "move up a tier in the Sith raid." Then work on teams oriented around said goal.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• Thanks Jarvind! Ill look into putting all of that in place.
  • Depending on the size of your Guild, communicate clearly what the expectations are in Territory Battles too. Is it worth it for one player to complete some CM's when you're 10 million from a second or 3rd Star? No, but those GP could have pushed a zone that was closer to 2* over the hump.

Focus/Prohibit certain areas and keep track of who actually listens.

Stars are way more important than either individual GP or Combat Waves Completed stats, for smaller Guilds.
  • Rydia131 wrote: »
    Thanks Jarvind! Ill look into putting all of that in place.

Your guild leader should be giving you some direction. When I promote someone I usually tell them the area we need help on, so we have an officer for raids, make sure we don't have anyone hitting early, it's the right raid being launched next.
    Officer for TW, making sure commands get set and people are following said commands.
    Officer for TB to make sure people are pulling their weight and such.

You get the idea lol. Did your leader not tell you anything when he promoted you?
    Also officer only chats. You can get to know the other officers better and talk about people without them knowing 😈
  • Hexen...No we haven't discussed my role in details yet. However, it wasn't formally announced yet. I just wanted to do my homework before promotion. I wanted to pick the brains of players like yourself to see what tips you all have learned along the way in order to bring some new blood to the guild officers.

I like the idea of the specific responsibilities for each officer! I will definitely suggest that if it isn't delegated to me. Have any of you given small roles or responsibilities to members who are not officers? We have some members who would be great if given additional responsibilities but not sure the pros/cons of that.
  • TVF
    36524 posts Member
    A private officer channel in Discord is a must.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • They don't have access to all the controls so they can supervise and watch for people breaking rules or not following orders. I.e. ignoring orders in TW/TB, not following raid rules, etc.
  • Rydia131 wrote: »
    Hexen...No we haven't discussed my role in details yet. However, it wasn't formally announced yet. I just wanted to do my homework before promotion. I wanted to pick the brains of players like yourself to see what tips you all have learned along the way in order to bring some new blood to the guild officers.

I like the idea of the specific responsibilities for each officer! I will definitely suggest that if it isn't delegated to me. Have any of you given small roles or responsibilities to members who are not officers? We have some members who would be great if given additional responsibilities but not sure the pros/cons of that.

We have an awesome artist in the guild, he makes all the custom awards for us, someone else was helping TW strategy. The one problem is they can get the sense they're above some rules, so just be careful with that. Very easy to **** them off if you bring them in but don't make them an officer and they break a rule, whether by accident or on purpose. Set the boundaries.
  • Hey @Rydia131

A lot of good advice here. I agree that a private channel in Discord or a similar third party service is essential. And giving direction for territory wars, territory battles, and raids will be part of your responsibility. But the 3 most important things to know as an officer are:
    1. What makes your guild special or better than other similar guilds?
    2. What is your guild’s leadership style?
    3. Where is your guild going in the future?

Question number 1 will tell you what you can use for recruiting and will help you better identify with your guild. Question 2 will show you what role you have. Maybe you’re supposed to function as a lieutenant or enforcer for the guild leader; maybe you will have a specific area of the game to watch over; or maybe you will be part of a “round table” style leadership group with everyone having a say. It’s important to know so you can be a good officer. Question 3 tells you how you can get the rest of the guild ready for what’s next.

Once you know these 3 things, then you can be poised to be a good officer for your guild.
  • as a guild leader, here is the advice i have for all new (and existing) officers:

1. discord chat is essential. you have to have a private room for the officers to talk about the guild and also just to blow off steam. but it’s also key to have a guild wide chat room to discuss any/everything and also to make announcements for the guild

2. delineate duties. it can get exhausting to have every officer trying to do everything so it’s nice to have one focused on TB, another on TW, another on raids, etc. organizing the officers and knowing each others’ duties will make life very easy.

3. have patience and set realistic expectations for your guild. let’s be frank, as a 65mil GP guild you’re not going to achieve 45/48 stars in TB or clear HSTR right away. accepting this and knowing that it’s a process to get better is the only way to future success. i am not one to mandate to my guild “you must level/gear up these specific squads” but it is good to provide broad recommendations on how to improve.

4. don’t be afraid. you are now one of the people in charge of the direction of your guild. trust your judgement and don’t be timid about it. i’m not saying to be a hard@$$ but you will have to lay down the law sometimes so own that fact.

5. have fun. at the end of the day, this is a game. enjoy playing it. if being an officer takes away from your fun, it’s ok to step down from the role.
  • Recruiting new members is also part of officers' job.
  • 1. Communication is essential to the success of any guild. I'm leader of New Rebel Order and I require every member be on Discord to ensure a guaranteed method of communication. There are other apps available but i find Discord to be the simplest option not only to obtain but to use, as well.
    2. Spread the duties. You don't want to burn out your officers. Take into account the total members of your guild and determine how many officers you will require to handle specific duties. I recommend assigning more than one for TW and TB. it may also be wise to specify a channel for each that members can go to for instructions, advice, etc.
    3. Require every member have an swgog.gg profile. You'll understand why from number 4.
    4. Research the bots that are available and decide which will benefit your guild.If necessary and possible, assign an officer to be the 'go to' for bot questions, assistance, etc. There are bots for everything including advice on what zetas a member should get next. This bot extracts information from the member's .gg profile. Another uses the profiles to determine whether your guild has the required units to fill TB platoons or how your guild will fare against your TW opponent.
    5. Set realistic rules and goals. If your guild has majority low-to-mid level members don't push them to be heroic raid ready. I actually have a brief chat with each incoming member prior to accepting the request to join to gauge their gaming style and focus as well as short and long term goals. This allows me to know what to expect from that member.
    6. Listen to your members. Make it your goal to ensure everyone is happy and content. If they're ready for more and your not providing it they will leave and find a guild that will meet their needs.
    7. Enforce the rules. Meet with the other officers and come up with a list of rules as well as consequences. Remember to make the consequences consistent and the same for all violators. Even if the violator is another officer he/she must face the same consequences. No member should be treated with favoritism.
    8. Be aware of the things you require advice on. You may not have the connections now but as you grow and develop into a stronger, more formidable guild you may come in contact with someone who can serve in an Advisory capacity. It may be a member of your guild, someone you meet through Forums or Reddit or even a merc you might recruit to assist you with a future raid. I have three: One a former member and the other two are mercs who i recruited before we became able to defeat HPit and HAAT without merc assistance. They decided to remain on my server because they saw how everyone in my guild helps each other.

Granted my guild will be 5 years old but I believe if you are diligent, honest and put your members as your priority eventually you could be where i am now.
    gf1b5h5ecvtc.png
    DM me @Dark Rolyzzz#9997 for information on New Rebel Order or if interested in joining. Join the Rebellion and be a part of the Rebel Revolution!
  • I’ll give u advice from a different perspective a member. Ur job as officer is to make sure a guild goes in a specific direction. What direction urs goes in depends on leadership and goals. There r guilds that r just about increasing Gp and collecting whatever rewards u get from it and other guilds more centered around competitive progression And getting top rewards for such efforts. If u r about just increasing GP be careful when crossing lines on competitive progression. I left my last because they wanted to practice T6 for 2 weeks without even suggesting members work towards sith teams. I left after that because losing that much guild currency in that Time is not the progress I need. But for majority that r just about collecting wouldn’t affect them just be clear on direction ur going so players know when to leave. And if u have kick policy which is usually 3 days do so. Members get upset when they c wasted spots taken by people that don’t even play when active members can contribute to help the guild as a whole better.
  • TVF
    36524 posts Member
    Another tip: Don't let your members use single letters in place of full words. Immediate kick. :p
  • TVF wrote: »
    Another tip: Don't let your members use single letters in place of full words. Immediate kick. :p

U r not serious r u
  • TVF
    36524 posts Member
    I am. R u?
  • TVF wrote: »
    yes kick in a game that is dead compared to when it started y late game shards don’t even fight just open app collect rewards on to next day lol.

• TVF
    36524 posts Member
    2smooth wrote: »
    TVF wrote: »
    yes kick in a game that is dead compared to when it started y late game shards don’t even fight just open app collect rewards on to next day lol.

I can't figure out what any of this means.
  • Pick a random member.... Boot them, so everything he knows you mean business....

Just kidding...... Spend 2-3 weeks just chilling and helping with tb, tw, etc......